main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY LGA Table Top Gaming thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Oct 15, 2012.

1. New Vanck

New Vanck Jedi Padawan

Oct 18, 2012
    Mika, yes that's their website. They have their fingers and toes in all wargaming in the Louisville. They found me with I started the Battletech group.

I will speak with Auticus (he is running the tournaments) and see what the details are behind the scenes. They are usually pretty flexible and as long as you play once a month you should be good to go. Also, the usual length for these things is only a few months so can always catch the next one if interested or the details/requirements change a bit.

2. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Thanks for checking!

I wouldn't mind doing a store league, and I really would like to try my hand at a tourny-- but Jan. 4th is too soon for me too.

3. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I saw where Pet Shop Comics had an X-wing store tourney this past Saturday; but I saw it on Friday night and our roads were a sheet of ice.

4. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I just emailed a store in Indy that advertised an X-wing tourney this weekend if they are actually having it and how to register. Not sure I want to make a four hour round trip to play my first competitive game, but thought I would let you all know. If I hear back from them, I will let you all know about that too.

Jammies

5. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    XWing...XWing...now there's a name I've not heard in a long time.

I remember that game, I used to play it when I had time ;)

Good luck!

6. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Still hadnt gotten an email from the store yet.

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I was trooping and event in Evansville yesterday and a couple of the local guys play. They say they play every Thursday night at Comic Quest in Evansville and sometimes on Sunday. They were also going to help the store owner put on some XWing demos at a local con.

http://comicquest.com/

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Ah Comic Quest, my hometown Nerdvana. The Mecca of Geek of my youth. One of the guys down there runs a blog called metal bekkini, about x-wing. Funny blog too. Check it out if you can correctly spell bekinni. Bikini?

9. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Wasn't able to go, but their are 2 more tournaments on the last two Saturdays of the month: on in Cincy, the other somewhere in southern Indiana. I'm hoping to make it to one of them.

10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Cool. Keep us posted.

11. New Vanck

New Vanck Jedi Padawan

Oct 18, 2012
    I saw several tables full of players this Saturday at Something 2 Do. Have you checked with anyone there?

12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I look at their facebook page and I don't see anything organized.

I did go to my first tournament, a store championship in E-Town.

I didn't win though. So, I won't get to compete in regionals in Dayton this year. Of course, I'm not ready to do that anyway.
    I did come in fourth out of twelve participants though, and got some neat alternate art Push The Limit cards. Hard Knox Games was a cool gaming store in the mall there in E-town. I even saw Darth Lupine there for a second.
    I played four games; three in swiss rounds and then one game in the elimination rounds (I got eliminated). I took the list I had been building for a while with Corran and the Stress Bot and Han with Kyle Katarn and Lando.
    I got into some traffic on my way down, and started the first game late, so I had to take a modified win. Given enough time, I would have destroyed the guy's three interceptor build. I had his Fel down to one hit point when time was called.
    Next match was a phantom and decimator build, which I decimated for a full win. Corran stressed the Phantom before it could cloak, and Han took it out. Then I just attacked the Imperial Boat of Death from range three. Corran rolled crits before he died, and Solo finished up the job.
    Then, in the last round of swiss (before the single elimination rounds) I played four b-wings with accuracy corrector. I hadn't really prepared for playing a B wing swarm, or any rebel swarm actually. I knew that they don't care about factions in tournaments but I guess I never really thought that much about it. Lando Crew kept coming up blanks and the B wings 4 red dice ate up poor Han. Corran took out a B-wing with his double tap, but didn't get away fast enough on the next turn and went out in a ball of flames. I did learn how to use Corran more effectively though for next time.
    Even with a loss, I made it to the Final Four. There, I faced another B-wing swarm-- three B wings with Heavy Laser Cannon and two Z-95s. To get out from under the asteroid placements on the first turn, I did that thing were you place the ships parallel to the edge of the board and dialed in a hard turn. Well, instead of a right hard turn, I dialed in a left hard turn. So, I flew off the board on the first round giving the guy and instant win. So. That sucked. I guess I should have mentioned my Dyslexia, but I had already conceded as soon as I flipped over the dials. Seeing as we had the time before the next round, we played again just for fun: and I still lost to the B-wing swarm.
    I guess I just don't know how to fight rebels with rebels. Much less a bunch of B-wings against a falcon.
    But, the guys were real nice and real helpful. I did have to correct their incorrect rule knowledge a few times, but everyone flew casual. And, everyone complemented my custom paint jobs which was nice.
    Maybe next year.

13. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Great showing! Way to represent the "Ville". Did you hang around to see what build won it all?

14. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Oh i wore my LGA shirt! And told those who wanted some paint jobs to find me here on the boards.

Yeah, the winning list was very similiar to mine. Corren, but with r2d2, and han but with preditor and c3p0.

15. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    YEA Jammies do the dew in e-town maybe next year like you said and maybe you'll have some back up...

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  17. DarthLupine

DarthLupine Jedi Knight

Jun 23, 2007
    Lol Jammies, I was playing a Fantasy League game or I would have given you some competition. I am a member of the Louisville gaming group run by Auticus, they are just wrapping up an Xwing escalation league. I also have been contacted by a guy from Hard Knox Games in Etown as to whether I would participate in a local league as well, which I answered in the affirmative. I will also be participating more in local Xwing tourneys from now on...
    I also have the starter set for Armada... and THAT is the game I am most wrapped up in right now. I wish Xwing had been like this from the get go. It is awesome.

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Wouldn't mind watching a game of Armada some time to see how it plays. I just don't want to spend all that money for it when I already have so much cash sunk in XWing and I don't even have the time to play THAT.

19. DarthLupine

DarthLupine Jedi Knight

Jun 23, 2007
    Mika, its awesome. I like it even better than Xwing, although until wave one finally hits it is going to be limited. I would be happy to set up a demo for the club here. I am available on Saturdays, name the time and place!

20. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  21. DarthLupine

DarthLupine Jedi Knight

Jun 23, 2007
    That's a fairly good review! I will say again, this game is awesome. I cannot wait to get the Imperial class destroyer...

22. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    I'd be interested in seeing this played as well

23. DarthLupine

DarthLupine Jedi Knight

Jun 23, 2007
    As I stated, I have the starter with everything needed to play, and would be more than willing to set up a demo at some point. Just have to arrange time and place. I can drive to Louisville, seeing that is were most members live, it seems. I can do this on a Saturday preferably, as I do work Sundays.

As well, Wave one with more fighter options, and more ships for both the scum, ahem Rebels and the Imperials is coming out end of May.

24. DarthLupine

DarthLupine Jedi Knight

Jun 23, 2007
    Got wave one for Armada now, and it is awesome. Any time anyone wants to try this game let me know!

25. DarthLupine

DarthLupine Jedi Knight

Jun 23, 2007
    I will be up at Pet Shop comics today noonish with my Armada fleet, if anyone wants to check it out!