main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LIABILITY ISSUES for the AOTC EVENT....please read and respond!

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by kitarusapien, Feb 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    Urban Peak has stated that they did not wish to send their own letter of request to Lucas Licensing for the event, citing liability issues. We need to know who would be willing to sign off on liability releases if Lucas and/or Urban Peak deemed it necessary in getting this event off the deck. So please respond ASAP, and I'll forward the names to Urban Peak and Lucas Licensing. Remember, if you are going to help in any way with the event, you will probably need to sign off on a waiver anyway, even if it's only from United Artists since we would be on their property....this is where we seperate the the true samaritans from the fair-weather supporters. Let me "lead from the front" by stating here and now that I will sign any legal liability release in order to see this thing through. Nuff said.

2. teneniel_djo

teneniel_djo Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2000
    what exactly would we be signing away? if we break our legs, we can't take legal action? something along those lines?

3. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    You can review a variety of liability releases on the Net, but in essence, it holds the individuals liable for their own actions, and releases the other parties from being sued simply because you are there and something out of their control happened. Ball-parking it, generally it stipulates that if you do something to injure yourself, they are not accountable....which in the real world is called personal responsibility! If, however, someone at United Artists does something illegal to you(battery, assault, ect.), then no liability release in the world is going to protect them in a court of law! In our real-life, most corporations do not want bad publicity, so invariably, even though they have standing liability releases in place for their businesses, they will settle out-of-court simply to avoid the issue all together; but, quite frankly, if you are worth your salt, you're not going to hold someone else accountable for your own actions and/or mistakes anyhow. Not to mention that if you have adequate insurance, little mishaps that occur during normal human activity is covered anyway, so there's really no need to sue anyone unless you were there to make money on someone's back in the first place, which in my eyes is wholly reprehensible. Bottom line is that we should hear back from Lucas Licensing in two days, and if they give us permission, they will probably forward an appropriate liability release for those wishing to partake and sign. When, and if that happens, have your lawyer look it over, and make the call for yourself.

4. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Already talked to mine, and he'll look over whatever release we get pro-bono, to let us know if it is legit.

And, I too will be signing. However, I was informed, that if any of our younger members wish to participate they will have to do so as bystanders. It seems that involving minors can get quite sticky, and I do remember there being some very big issues when I helped w/ a charity carnival for my old high school.

-Jennifer

5. teneniel_djo

teneniel_djo Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2000
    couldn't we get parents to sign waivers? i'll sign, even if i don't participate.

6. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    It's all going to depend on what we get from LFL. They might make some stipulations as to age and such, but at the same time we may luck out and they will realize that they attract a younger crowd too and make allowances for that fact.

We'll just have to wait and see.

-Jennifer

7. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    The important thing here is to remember that you can always change your mind if, when you see the release, it doesn't work for you...but still you should say whether or not you would be willing to sign such an agreement on it's face, so we have a good idea of who would be willing to do so. Basically, that, more than anything else will determine who can, by name, be in the event. I would imagine the Lucas Licensing is going to have stringent rules concerning minors taking part, but they may have a special release for parents...that's pretty normal in corporate circles.

8. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I'll sign.

BTW, Kit and Jen, could you PM me with a run down of who all you've talked to, and what has worked, etc. I want to share this w/the other FF groups out there...

9. epic_ewok

epic_ewok Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2002
    If my band plays at the line party we'd all be willing to sign. we're still in high school but will all be 18 prior to AOTC.

10. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    what it's basically saying is... you hurt yourself it's your own damn fault right? if so, where do i sign?

11. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Yea, JO, virtually all corporate liability releases say almost exactly that. When, and if Lucas gives us the OK, I'm sure they will forward their liability release.

12. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    i'll sign it >

13. SilverDragon

SilverDragon Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2001
    Being my 3rd day with this little group, I'm hesitant to sign anything legal, but if I do my little skit for it, I'll be happy to sign anything I need to. I've got military coverage, so as long as I don't get hurt by fighting, my a is covered. :)

14. AZLineUp

AZLineUp Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2001
    Basically the Lucasfilm response states that you can have the event, just make sure that the event is known to be a grassroots fan-based event that it is and that it is not endorsed by Lucasfilm.

Also, the usual blurb about not using their IP to advertise or use in the event (yeah, right.. what is a Star Wars Fan event without that stuff).

What I would reccomend you do is plan your event as grand as you want and just wait for a C&D from Lucasfilm that will never come because, guess what, they really love you guys anyways!

Therefore, the only liability stuff you will need is between your event, the location, and any sponsors or vendors you may have. Simple!

(in our case, we do have to have a 2 million dollar insurance liability waiver bond for the location, GRASSROOTS MY ASS)

If the line event organizers would like to talk with us, just email us via the links provided on our website..

{link=http://www.azlineup.com]www.AZLineUp.com[/link]

We susally hang out on the main line-up forum or in the Phoenix, Arizona forum..

15. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Thanks for that, AZ!

16. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    Arizona Mills Line Party?! Man that would be awesome, that's right next to the GameWorks isn't it? Maybe i'll move to az a little sooner than expected! lol j/k my Denverites!

17. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    GEEZ....and you said you were gonna be a Jedi..."HA, a Jedi cares not for these things!"

18. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    yeah but i wanna see how many times i can beat SW Trilogy without continuing. Let's take bets, i say everytime i play i will beat it without continuing...that's good line party events lol

19. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    ive seen him do it . no corellion in their right mind would bet on those odds!!!!!!

20. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    After what I saw at D&B, I'm not bettin' against him!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.