main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Life Goes On (Sequel to 'Incurable') **Updated 3/08**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Miana Kenobi, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hey guys. I should have thought of this a month ago, but the idea did not pop into my head until just now when I reread Incurable and realized that it's been over a year since Julie's death. But sadly, just prior to her anniversary, I lost another friend to cancer. This time not an eight year old child, but a 38 year old mother with 5 children. So the pain of Julie's anniversary was twice as great.

In Incurable I told the story of what it was like when a friend died. Now I have decided to tell the story of what it's like a year after that friend is gone.

Here's the link to the original story.
    Incurable

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coruscant was always a busy planet, people buzzing around with their everyday lives, some not knowing where they?re going, some bogged down with work and others just living from paycheck to paycheck. It was not a planet where solitude or peace and quiet could be found. Except in one place.

The Jedi Temple. More particularly, the gardens behind the temple. Jedi of all ranks often sought solitude in the gardens, sitting by many of its trees or waterfalls to just sit and think in peace. Others came to the garden to be with their friends, have small picnics, and play sports.

But four individuals came to the gardens to pay respects. Up a ways back in the mesh of trees was a particular tree, initials carved into it. J K K C BFF. In front of the tree was a small tombstone, at the moment covered over with leaves and dirt.

A person crouched down in front of the tombstone, whipping off the leaves and dirt with their fingertips. Clearing a space, they laid a small handful of flowers next to the grave.

Khyte Dunst meticulously arranged the flowers near the grave, her hands unsure and wary. She calmed her nerves long enough to clasp her hands together, looking down at the small tombstone and reading it.

Corban De Jong
    Jedi Knight
    May the Force be with You

Khyte slowly rocked herself, her lips together forming a thin line. Slowly, she adverted her eyes to the sky, seeing the sunlight broken between the canopy of trees. ?Corban?? she whispered. ?Corban, can you hear me? I know you can? You said you would always be there after you had gone and I believed you.? She lowered her head. ?It doesn?t seem like a year, Corban, it seems like years ago but just yesterday at the same time. The only reminder I have of how long it?s been is Corra.? A small smile cross her face as she spoke of their daughter. ?You should see her, Corban. She looks more like you everyday. She had your eyes and your smile.?

She laughed softly. ?Jonn, Kimbal, and Master Rhy spoil her all the time. I tell them not to, but they can?t help but be with her. It seems in a way that when we?re with Corra, we?re also with you.? She took a deep breath, almost feeling silly for talking to a tombstone, but then she remembered that he could hear her.

?Master Rhy won?t take another padawan even though Master Yoda believes it best. He?s taken on his responsibility as grandfather instead. Kimbal became a knight just a short while ago, Jonn a month before. The Council granted me my Knighthood today, ironically?? She let the comment drift in the air, thinking of their promise the year before.

?I?m sorry, Corban. I?m sorry that we can?t fulfill our plan and go to the Hell?s Chance like we wanted. I?m sorry that you can?t be here and watch Corra grow with us. I?m just so sorry.? She buried her face into her hands, trying to stop the tear that we coming. She sniffled as she tried to regain her composure.

?I?m sorry I haven?t visited in a while. I guess it?s that I just can?t accept that you?re really gone.? She shook her head. ?Kimbal has the hardest time with being the father figure but not the father. He nearly broke down the first time Corra called him ?daddy?. I don?t know what to do, Corban. What if the Council tests Corra and takes her to live in the creché like they did

2. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    pushing this up for the afternoon crowd...

3. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Oh, wow, this is awesome!! A sequel to "Incurable!!!"
    I love the way you've started this, Miana.
    Having Khyte visit Corban's memorial stone like that to tell him about how she and Jonn Kimbal have become knights, how Master Rhy missed him, and about her fears that Corra will be taken from them, is a very powerful way to re-introduce us to the characters in their new situation.

I love it and I'm so glad you're writing this sequel!!!! :)

4. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    Very good and heart felt beginning. Keep up the good work.

5. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    :) thanks guys.

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Rhy-Awn Tomac sighed to himself as the young students quietly filed out of the room, their shoulders hunched in exhaustion. The sparring room was covered in blue mats that produced a feather like comfort when fallen upon, but remained solid as the floor to walk and fight on.

Rhy-Awn spotted a practice saber lying on the ground, the Jedi Master-now-instructor calling it to his hand and placing it in a storage locker near him.

It had been a tiring class. After Rhy had refused to take on another padawan, the Council had persuaded him to become an instructor, teaching the young children who had not yet become padawans the basics in saber fighting. Most were around the age of ten, a few nine and twelve year olds present also. But while he enjoyed teaching, it pained him everytime he watched one of the children try to use a lightsaber.

I remember when Corban first tried to saber fight. He was so unsure of how to use it, yet so determined... The thought of his deceased padawan brought a small smile to his lips, but it was a smile of sadness.

He felt a presence enter the room, turning to see Cynthia Linsday entering the room, the Jedi Healer giving him a small smile, sensing his weariness. "Rough day?"

"The kids had their final exams today. Lots of burns and bruises. Sorry I had to send them all to you."

The healer smiled. "It's all right. I'm off duty today, Angelica's in charge. She gets to take care of them all." She smiled softly, seeing that his mind was elsewhere. "They remind you of him, don't they?"

Rhy nodded, knowing that the healer had shared his pain of the boy's death. While he had lost a padawan, a son almost, Cynthia had lost a patient.

The healer placed a gentle hand on the master's shoulder, squeezing it gently. "I miss him too, Rhy. But he's one with the Force now. It's been a year already. It's time to let him go. I know it's hard, I really do. But you have to move on."

"How?" he whispered quietly.

Cynthia turned him so that he was looking strait at her. "The same way you did when you lost Lucy. By having friends who are there for you."

Rhy pulled the healer into an embrace, holding her tightly. "Thank you, Cynthia. I'm so lucky to have someone like you."

The healer smiled, grabbing his hand as he let go of his hold on her. "Come on. I'll take you out the lunch. My treat."

~~~~~~~~~
    shorty, sorry, but I gotta go make dinner!

7. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    That's okay: short can be good. ;)

8. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Poor Rhy-Awn. :(
    But I'm glad to see that he has a friend like Cynthia who not only is there for him, but can empathize because she too missed Corban. I can only imagine how hard it will be for him to let go and move on though. :_|

Great post, Miana! :)

9. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    :) Thanks guys. I'll try to get something up this weekend.
    Only one more week until Spring Break!!! :D

10. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    HAPPY, HAPPY, JOY, JOY!!!!!!!!!

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Jonn Vojid looked around the crèche, the creamy yellow walls a welcome and soothing blend to the Knight. He had been here before when he was young, as had most Jedi before him. And now a new generation was there still, Jonn feeling a smile come across his face as he looked at the hundreds of young children, all similarly dressed in cream colored tunics and short haircuts. The crèche masters tried to keep order in the room, the children settling down after an activity and coloring pictures.

Jonn looked to his right, where his friend Kimbal Underwood stood, arms folded across his chest, pain in his eyes. He too remembered being in the crèche with all the others his age, mostly with Jonn and Khyte and? Corban.

A small smile crept on his lips as he remembered things they had done. He almost felt bad the way they had tortured Khyte when they were younger? ?Accidentally? spilling paint on her, ?accidentally? putting frogs in her bag, and once ever ?accidentally? setting her hair on fire. It was ironic to him how they were burning her hair one moment then protecting her from the class bully and calling her their best friend the next.

He felt a heavy hand fall onto his shoulder, squeezing it tightly. He looked over at it, seeing the dark skin. At first he thought it was Jonn, but his Jedi senses told him it was Mace Windu. ?Good day, Master Windu,? he acknowledged.

Mace Windu smiled, bowing his head to the young Knights. ?Good day, Knight Underwood, Knight Vojid. Padawan shopping, are we??

Kimbal shifted uncomfortably beneath the Master?s grasp. ?I?m not, sir. I?m here to accompany Jonn.?

Jonn nodded his head. ?Master Yoda thought it would be wise for me to consider taking a padawan. I?m just here as an observer today.?

Mace nodded. ?A wise choice. Padawans often help you forget about your worries and hardships in the past and look on to the future,? he commented, letting the sentence float gently in the air.

?With all due respect, Master Windu, that is exactly why I will not take a padawan yet,? Kimbal said, trying to avoid eye contact with the Master.

?Oh?? Mace sounded a little surprised, but not much.

?You said a padawan will help you forget about your hardships in the past. And that is what I worry about. That I will forget him.?

Mace sighed, taking in his point. ?I can understand, Knight Underwood. But I can guarantee you this. No matter what, you will never forget Knight De Jong. Ever. And no one will. You have my word on that.?

?Thank, my Master,? Kimbal whispered.

There was a shriek from the group of children, a small dark haired girl crying as a young boy accidentally spilt a cup of nerf milk on her. The crèche master hurried over with a towel, the boy looking down at the ground timidly. He looked on the verge of tears as he saw the two Knights and the council member standing in the room. He had lost face in front of important people. He hung his head, mumbled an apology picked up his spilt glass.

Mace sighed once more, the boy catching the two Knights? eyes. ?Poor child. He is another one of those who will probably not get a master.?

?What is his name?? Jonn inquired.

?Obi-Wan Kenobi. He is a very bright child, very powerful in the Force, but unfortunately very clumsy. I doubt he will make it as far as you two have.?

Jonn nodded, seeing the ginger haired boy return to his seat, his head still down. A young Calamarian girl next to him patted his arm, probably comforting him.

Mace patted their shoulders once more. ?Come. I must speak with the two of you outside.? He steered them toward the door, Jonn catching one last glance of the boy called Obi-Wan. He felt drawn to boy, partially because he himself had been clumsy like the boy. But yet at the back of his mind, he knew the Force had other plans for Kenobi.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    ?I?m afraid our discussion is not of pleasant circumstances. I think the two of you already know what it is about.? Mace stopped as the three of them walked onto one of the open aired balco

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    boost this up for you morning birds...

13. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Hehehehe. Padawans have a lot of 'accidents' to they. ;)

Obi-Wan, you clumsy fool. All thumbs, no sense. ;)

14. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Aww, poor Obi-Wan. :( But Jonn's right about the Force having other plans for him in the future, of course. :)

I really do feel sorry for all of the people who are close to little Corra. Having to give her up will be like losing Corban all over again! :_|
    I wonder what they plan on doing about it, because obviously they're not going to allow that to happen without a fight! [face_plain]

Can't wait for more, Miana!! :)

15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    :) thanks, you guys

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    hmm... i know there were more readers that just the two of you... :(

17. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    FORWARD, UP AND COME ON PEOPLE READ THIS!!! :D

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    :) Thanks, casper, for the up and for your sig. [face_blush]

19. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    This is just a wonderful piece of writing Miana. I was a big lurker of Incurable and I really love this one to! :)

I felt bad for Obi though with the Nerf milk. I was real clumsy as a child too.

20. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Thanks Sara!!

(Casper, Danke Danke Danke!!!!!)

One more day until spring break!

21. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    You're welcome, Miana: advertising through me yields results. ;)

22. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'll try to get something up soon.

23. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Wonderful! UP! ;)

24. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
  25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Never fear, Spring Break is here!
    I promise that I will
    Get something up soon,
    Although it probably won't be
    Until tomorrow afternoon.
    Why am I rhyming?
    I do not know...
    Guess what! I found a metal nut (for bolts)
    In my pizza! D'oh!
    Ack! Have to stop rhyming,
    That is very clear,
    And yeah! My birthday
    Is coming near!
    For 5 days after Episode II permires
    I shall be celebrating 16 years!
    And a day before that,
    4 days before Episode II
    One of my best friends, Ali,
    will celebrate 16 too.
    It's very weird that
    We're 24 hours apart,
    But I won't rhyme around her
    For then she will start!
    Her poetry is even worse than mine
    But I only do it to waste your time.
    So please tell me to stop,
    For if you don't, I'll never stop!
    It sucks, being able to rhyme,
    Famous or not!
    But I will stop,
    For both your sake and mine
    And do not forget to set forward your time!
    Yes, I am bored,
    As you all can tell
    I will go now,
    I hope you all are well!
    Ug, I want ice cream,
    Either strawberry or lime
    I like them both, but that doesn't rhyme.
    Enough of this! Now I have a headache!
    Maybe some asprin is what I should take.
    Maybe some asprin, with some English tea
    Or maybe a visit to the Knights who say "Ni!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.