main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Life Is Strange

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DebonaireNerd, Feb 24, 2015.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    One of my games to get through this year is Dontnod Entertainment's Life Is Strange. It's an adventure game but steers away from the traditional elements of adventure games of being driven by puzzles and objection finding by instead focusing on the development of your character through the decisions you make for her. Put short, it's about a girl who realises that she can reverse time. She doesn't know how she does it but it has certain consequences over her friendships and professional development. It's my first game, apart from Tomb Raider, where I've played a female protagonist. I'm really enjoying it so far.

It's episodic and is one of the most multi-pathed games I've played in a while because there are so many decisions to make which come back to haunt you later. Already there's high replayability and that's just the first episode. Of course, the decisions you make will result in consequences that bleed over into future episodes. I'm really looking forward to it. Some say that the first episode is only about 2 or 3 hours in length but I managed to get 5 hours of out it. Truthfully, it is a game you can breeze through but you're selling yourself short by doing so because many of the story moments stem from your exploration and discovery, depending how thorough you are.If you overlook something, then then less will be revealed in the various subplots that run through the game. It's as engaging as you're willing to be as a player of the narrative.

Some minor gripes: some characters can feel a little contrived or clichéd. We have an emotional goth type girl, a hipster, a jock, a dominating and impliedly abusive father, there's outcasts, the in crowds and the nerds. Despite a proclivity to prove its modernity, Life Is Strange manages not to portray these characters at the expense an interesting or unusual story. But, some of the dialogue will oversimplify the intellect or trajectory of the characters but they do manage to remain interesting throughout. Also, revealed at the end of the game is a "stat" system. Although I get a general idea of how this works, I do have some questions as to its functioning or relation to the character development, some aspects of its function are unclear. I don't want to post any questions or points just to avoid spoilers. Finally, although the game presents as "intellectual" in terms of its tone and story, the gameplay itself is quite simple and, frankly, easy. There's little thinking involved and it plays out more like an interactive fantasy-drama more than it does an adventure game with point to point objectives. But even in this case, that's part of what makes Life Is Strange so engaging. It isn't about getting to the next puzzle or cinematic, it's about immersion. Just keep in mind, if you are looking for challenging puzzles or objecting hunting, this is NOT IT.

Think of the game as being in the style of Heavy Rain, Inception, with a twist of Stephen King and a time travel sci-fi mechanic thrown in. I absolutely recommend playing this on PC at night, door closed, lights dimmed and with either headphones or surround sound stereo speakers. The game is rich with atmosphere and the artistic, hand drawn style draws you into the story. Usually, this type of visual can get gimmicky after prolonged gameplay (XIII for example). But that's not the case here. Finally, the soundtrack nicely fills out the gaming environment and adds just the right tones needed to finalise the cinematic feel to the game.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I played through Chapter 1 and really enjoyed it. It's very similar to the games that Telltale has been putting out recently and I absolutely loved the time manipulation mechanic. I look forward to the rest!

3. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Same. Still trying to work out the stat/score system though. If you achieve the highest score on a particular area, what does this actually mean? There's no accumulated score.

4. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Just finished episode 2. It took my heart, tore it from its chest and has kept me hanging. I love this game.

Anyone else?

5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I've only played the demo, which was pathetically short. It definitely aroused my interest, but I'll probably wait for the full game. I've found that these episode-format games become cheaper once all episodes are released.

6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    But part of the thrill is in the cliff hanger.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    True. But the suspense would drive me mad.

8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Again, all part of the thrill :)

I will admit one flaw with the wait time though and that is you can forget certain events or characters, especially if you're keeping yourself busy with other games. But the game itself does feature a fairly detailed diary which includes notes on characters and events.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Bumping up an old thread since there's no other ones relating to it. Has anyone gotten to play Before the Storm (first two episodes) as of yet? I just beat Episode 2 last night. Thought it was all right. It had its "feel good" moments like the previous game, and a somewhat shocking ending which I won't spoil; but so far the game hasn't really pulled on any heartstrings like the original one did.

10. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Me and Moll are waiting till ep 3 comes out to play all of them. Plus we're both at different unis at the moment, so playing it together would be somewhat tricky. ;)

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Also waiting for all three episodes to be out before playing.

12. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Got Before the Storm for my birthday, I will save it for around Christmas time when episode 3 comes out so I can binge play them rather than having to wait :) I hope it is as good as the 'first' LiS. Ahsoka's Tano - Is it much different to the other one? In terms of game mechanics?

darkspine10 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

It is different from the first in the regard that you can no longer wind back time and choose something else. Playing as Chloe this time, you have something called "back talk"; which if you play your cards right and give the right answers, the antagonist you're talking with will essentially cave in and give you want you want. The relationship between Chloe and Rachel is an interesting one; especially knowing already what happens to Rachel before the events of the original game.

MandoArtist and Moll like this.
  14. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I absolutely ADORED the first Life Is Strange. The story gripped me from beginning to end and thanks to my ending choice, I was broken lol

Before The Storm is alright, definitely not as unique as the first though. Music is still amazing though, the main menu theme I can listen to for ages.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Did you save the "Bae" or "Bay"? I've only played through the original game once, where I saved the "Bae". When the choice popped up for me, I was like, "are you ###ing kidding me?!" I'm going to play through Before the Storm, and then I'll go back and replay through the original game, thereby picking the save the "Bay" option.

MandoArtist likes this.
  16. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    I saved Arcadia Bay. I feel like sacrificing Chloe was just simply the right thing to do, it was one life against many. I romanced her too. It also felt like this was the more appropriate choice the game was leading to, Max spending all this time keeping Chloe alive but then finally having to let go.

The ending also feels more effective than saving Chloe. Spanish Sahara and the credits track just killed my emotions :(

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Does that mean that you also played out the save Chloe ending as well? I wasn't prepared for the emotional trainwreck that sacrificing her would cause me, but even sacrificing Arcadia Bay with the accompanying "Obstacles" playing in the background was a tearjerker. They go through the town realizing that they're really the only ones left.

18. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    Yeah, I've seen both. I thought saving Arcadia Bay led to a more impactful ending. I don't think you even get to hear Spanish Sahara if you save Chloe.

You still get to hear the credits track, though. Listening to that and looking at Pricefield stuff=dead

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

As I mentioned above, I haven't yet experienced in BTS the same emotional tugs that the original game gave. Think of Episode 2, and then Episode 3.

MandoArtist likes this.
  20. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    Yeah, I know how you feel. BTS isn't bad but it's certainly not gripped me like the first game did.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Did you buy the deluxe version? I bought it only to get the special Max episode that will be released after the E3 from BTS has been released. I wonder if Max's original voice actor will take up the role again.

22. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    Nah, I didn't. Just got the season pass. For a single episode I figured I could just watch a playthrough.

I hope she has the same voice though. Ashly Burch is one of my favourite voice actors and it was a shame she didn't return for the role of Chloe.

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah Ashly Burch not being the voice actress took some time to get used to; but I can't hate on the new one. Besides LIS, Ashly has also lent her voice to Cassie Cage in MLK X, and more importantly as Aloy in HZD.

24. IrokunakI

IrokunakI Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2017
    Loved the first game, still haven't tried the second. I heard the voice actors are different for a few of the same characters though? not sure if that's true or not.

Edit: just read the post above me. i'm an idiot. Shall give it a try!

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I really don't think the new voice actors do a bad job compared with the originals. I've gone through the first two episodes and eagerly await the third and final one. After that I'll get the special Max DLC that came with the deluxe edition, and will play through the original game and finally pick the "save the bay" ending.