main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT LIFE WATCH (From the Empire Strikes Back)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Hopefulwriter, May 2, 2020.

1. Hopefulwriter

Hopefulwriter Jedi Master star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    Writer: Hopefulwriter
    Rating: G for everyone
    Time Frame: From The Empire Strikes Back
    Characters: Han Solo, Luke Skywalker
    Summary: Han and Luke await rescue from the icy plains of Hoth

Han Solo struggled to open the survival tent, fighting the whipping winds and the
    blinding snow of Hoth. He had to get that tent up…light was fading and soon the depth of absolute darkness would be upon them, and if he thought it was cold now, the temperature would drop dramatically and they’d both be lost.

Finally getting the structure stabilized, he trudged through Hoth’s deep snow to
    where he’d placed Luke; into the temporarily warm cavity of the Taun Taun.
    Wrinkling his nose, even gradually freezing, the beast’s innards still wreaked.
    Even so, he plunged his hands into the mass to warm them, then began to slowly
    drag Luke’s inert body to the tent, carving crevasses in the snow.
    “This will keep you out of the wind.” Han talked as he placed Luke as comfortably
    as possible on the tent floor. “If you think this is cold, you should’a been on that
    Ice Planet I was on when I was in training.*“ Luke stirred, not opening his eyes. “Dagobah. Dagobah.”

Han smoothed Luke’s parka hood from his face and had a good look at his eye and
    face. “That creature’s swat did more than cut you up, it rattled your brain.

Doesn’t look good.” The Corellian reached out the flap of the tent and grabbing
    a handful of snow he carefully washed the wounds. “Gonna try to save that eye,
    kid. You’d be no good as a one eyed pilot.”

Luke stirred again, “B..Ben…Ben.”

“No, Luke, it’s me…Han.”

“Ha…ve…to see….Yoda.”

“You’re not gonna see anybody if we aren’t rescued and you get medical help for that eye.”
    Han reached for another gloveful of snow and brushed it against Luke’s lips again and
    again, giving him water. Luke settled and Han left the tent. He began packing snow
    against the shelter, making it look like a snow covered boulder; camouflaging their
    position as well as providing some insulation. He worked quickly, even with the exertion of getting Luke out of the elements and packing the snow around the tent, he was still shiveringly cold.

Back in the tent and lapping at a handful of snow himself, Han kept a close eye on Luke…soon it would be so dark he wouldn’t be able to see his hand in front of his face. It was going to be a long night.

Hearing an inhuman growl, Han remained stock-still. Moving with the stealth of a Naidant he peaked from behind the tent flap…..scavengers…..Scitosas were eating the dead flesh of the Taun Taun….his eyes fell on Luke’s light saber…he needed to reach it…..

Slipping as quietly as possible, he scooted toward the Jedi weapon..his eyes never leaving
    the pack of Scitosas…..for now, they were content in filling their bellies….

Closer….closer…he reached for the saber…

An ugly growl echoed in the air and one of the animals began walking toward Han. He drew his blaster and aimed…..then looked around….any shot would surely start an avalanche…they’d be buried.

The yellow eyes of the feral beast were directly on Han as it edged nearer…licking its
    bloody muzzle…..a new feast.

In a near light speed gesture Han holstered his weapon and grabbed the saber….
    activating the vibrating blade…A shrieked yelp escaped the surprised beast and it
    backed away. Han rose to his knees, pointing the blade in the direction of the Taun Taun.

The animals began trotting away……Han gave a wry smile….now he was warm…was
    sweating beneath his parka. Disengaging the blade, he made his way back to the tent.

“Yoda…..Yo..da…” Luke was mumbling when Han reentered the shelter. Sitting down
    next to Luke, Han gave him more snow water….removing his gloves he felt of Luke’s forehead….warmer than it should be……fever was starting….it was going to be a long night
    He smoothed more of the snow over his friend’s forehead.

Deep into the night, Han kept giving Luke water and washing the wounds with snow.
    “Got to keep you alive, kid.” Han scooted up against Luke to give him some of his
    body heat…Luke was shivering and mumbling.

“Wonder what they’re thinking back at the base.“ Han mused. “They probably think we’re already dead…no use in searching for us.”

Han’s mind drifted to Leia….was she worried? Did she care?….

The long night continued, along with the battering winds that shook the shelter now
    and then with a stinging blast. Suddenly, rousing from a near sleep, Han realized he
    couldn’t hear Luke breathing. Turning, he slipped off his hood and listened at his
    friend’s nose. No sound…. Placing a hand on Luke’s chest, he could feel a little
    movement…shallow breathing.

“Come on, kid, we’ve made it this far…can’t be too long before dawn…then the
    ships will be out looking for us.” Han tried to convince himself as well.

Sitting with his hand on Luke’s chest, Han nodded…trying to will dawn to appear.

Light filtered through the tent flap. Han opened his eyes and checked on Luke…who was now breathing evenly though still feverish. A smile played around the Corellians lips as a low thrumming caught his ear.

“That’s them..kid…well, I did my part…kept you alive…no need to thank me.” Han
    teased. “I’m gonna go out and let them know we’re here.

Han exited the shelter and waved at the speeders flying over.

* From my story REMEMBERANCES…published here.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Great story! I can imagine just how long that night would have felt. Living in Canada, the Hoth scenes have always hit uncomfortably close to home for me (okay, it's not actually that bad here, I just really hate winter)! Lol.

Great description to set the scene. I can practically feel the windchill. *shivers*

Loved Han thinking of Leia and wondering if she was worried (and yes, of course she cares, Han! [face_love]), and him taking care of Luke. And his 'no need to thank me' comment was perfect! I could totally hear him say that. :D Nice work!

3. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    Hi 'Chick'....Thank you for taking your time to read.
    Love writing Han/Leia and other characters stories.
    Your comments are appreciated.
    (We get snow here in Kentucky from time to time in the winter, also)

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent and vivid details as we see Han's efforts to keep he and Luke from succumbing to the cold and predators. =D=

Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  5. RaiseTheFlag

RaiseTheFlag Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2020
    I liked Han using Luke’s saber to scare the beast. Not something we ever really saw in the films but something I can completely see Han doing. There was good tension in that moment as well

6. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    Hi Nyota, appreciate you taking the time to read.
    Your comments are encouraging. Thank you. Lynda V.

7. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    Hi "Flag". Thank you for taking your time to read.
    It's readers like you that make a writer feel better than they are.
    Lynda V.

8. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Hi, it´s me. I am still alive and so is my husband, even though me being a kindergarten teacher at a creché group isn´t a very safe occupation for somebody who is a transplant patient like DarthUncle.

But, in so far none of us got sick and we are as safe as Luke is in Han capable presence. Liked that you picked that particular situation on Hoth. Well done! Vivid description. Nice insight into Han´s head.

9. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    Hi Azure, Glad to hear from you and how things are going.
    Appreciate you taking time to read. Your comments are
    always welcome. Lynda V.

Ewok Poet likes this.