main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Light/Dark/Grey in TLJ & IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chiaroscuro Side, Apr 14, 2017.

?

Which way do you swing?

1. Light and Dark with clear demarcation, no Grey for me, thanks

82 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Light, Dark and Grey as three entirely separate polarities

22 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Gimme moral ambiguity!

56 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Chiaroscuro Side

Chiaroscuro Side Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    OK, the new trailer really hit the spot for me, but that is not the question I have of how the sides are depicted in the new trilogy.

jaqen likes this.
  2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I don't know..o_O

3. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    I am pretty clear on this myself. I have a life filled with difficult decisions, and full of moral ambiguities. I don't mind if they make the light and dark characters struggle with difficult issues, but I really don't need to see any "Grey Jedi" or anything like that.

Phasmatic likes this.
  4. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Considering how black and white vii was, to have some ambiguity would be interesting.

5. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016

IRL I am a firm believer in the reality of moral ambiguity. I respect moral ambiguity, but personally don't need it in my Star Wars. I need Star Wars for a break from the ambiguities of life.

Now if you were to present the central characters with moral difficulty, and then make them deal with the consequences of their choices, that is some Star Wars for me.

6. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    theres no such thing as a grey jedi. hidalgo has been pretty clear on that

Luke might be training rey to be a xxxx force user, which of course is something I doubt.

Jedi is an enormous brand for Disney to just drop for good after one movie. Lukes frase was either cut, or represents him in an early grumpy state of the movie.

It was misleading on porpouse. Im not even sure its Lukes voice at that point.

Or after all, Feloni moronic views of the lore have win the battle.

I need good and evil in my movies . Im sick and tired of this GOT bull****. I have enough of this with real life..

Tolkien, and the OT where much simplier.

7. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    The Jedi are the good guys, and always will be in Star Wars. BUT, ambiguity aswell please - it's more interesting.

Kev-Mas_Colcha and DarthIshyZ like this.
  8. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    There can be no Grey Jedi as well as Grey Sith. Its an absurd. The concepts of Jedi, Sith and Force doesnt apply well to humans morality compasses. Forceusers can do a good things with it, and thus they will be called a Jedi. If they do something bad, they will be called a Sith. Grey isn't an option here.You can't be called a Jedi if you help to arrest some criminals in morning and kill some youngling in the evening. You'll be called a Sith. If you kill some younglings in the morning and then help some granny to cross the road, you still will be called a Sith, not Jedi, cause, you know, you still a murderer. The concept of The Force ignores the moral ambiguity. If the guy helped the friend (good thing, right?), there can be a few reasons for that: for example because of love (Light Side), or thirst for benefit(Dark Side). So in the very end even the ambiguous deeds leads to either Light Side, or the Dark Side, not Grey.

9. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016

That is an interesting idea. It is pointed to by the symbolic value of the lightsaber: a weapon that is the perfect cutter. Perhaps the lightsaber represents the Force in that its power simply functions as a way of cutting and separating light and dark, good and evil. In that sense a "Grey" use of the force would be impossible.

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  10. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

This - even Bendu most people would take as a good character in reality that just doesn't think intervention is always a good thing. I doubt you would see Bendu offering the Sith lessons on the force like he did with that Jedi. But you need good characters to go against the bad to keep things from getting too out of whack and that is where the Jedi are needed to keep the darkside in check some. I think this is mostly going to be about the Jedi straying from their original purpose.

11. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    I got no problem if the moral process of the GFFA is one of changing morals; "Hey now, fighting a giant galactic war for peace didn't work out so well, maybe we shift to be less interventionist" is an example of how "good" folks think. Only a Sith deals in absolutes, after all. I know that "grey", as a third moral polarity, works perfectly well in other films, and works very well in Star Wars for some fans. Which is why I made this out as a poll. I really am curious to know how many of my fellow fans share my preference for moral binary in Star Wars.

12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Sounded like Snoke to me. Well, kinda...

13. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    I wouldn't be surprise for a Grey Jedi will be canon in the movie, it's a very controversal theme.

14. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I think Rian is doing something completely different and when I think it was Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) saying its so much bigger that there is so much to learn about the force and that the dogma of the Jedi and how restricting they are is bad, and they are going for a more passion but good approach with the jedi and that there will be grey force users. And thats what Rey will be.

15. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I don't think grey is involved. Rey says balance and we see her touch an ancient Jedi text with the Jedi logo. That telegraphs that balance is as the TFA novel states "refined Jedi sight" The Jedi are balance. They are the light after acknowledging and transcending from the dark. Like Luke's brush with the dark side and turning away from it leads to balance in ROTJ.

16. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016

Well, the bad guys always talk that way when they are trying to seduce. "Here Eve, eat this apple, the knowledge it will give you will make your world so much bigger" is a common theme among snakes since forever. The bigger world they promise always just turns out to be a place where hate is on equal footing as love, and murder is on an equal footing with protecting the innocent.

theraphos likes this.
  17. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015

Do I think Rey will struggle with the dark side yes especially after learning about her family but yeah I think there will be balance and it will be grayish but still Jedi if that makes sense just rewriting the rules basically. Because the no attachment and passion thing is not working well for them and surely Luke sees that and learned more about his fathers fall and probably honestly blames the jedi not obi- wan but more so yoda, and mace and stuff like that.

Chiaroscuro Side likes this.
  18. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016

I absolutely agree that the Jedi rules need changing. Sheesh, after the PT, that much is clear. But the Jedi already have a fairly flexible moral framework ("truth depends greatly one's own point of view", "only a Sith deals in absolutes", etc), so no "grey jedi" are really required, I think.

Fat midichlorian likes this.
  19. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015

I think thats what they mean by balance.

20. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    I'll drink to that. But for me, "balance" and "grey" are two very different things. Grey is a blending of light and dark, whereas balance is a configuration where light and dark exist separately, but are somehow in proportion or harmony.

Fat midichlorian likes this.
  21. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    for god sake, stop with the grey jedi bull****

Hidalgo said it wont happen, ever.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/821480675463151617?lang=es

either they become something different than jedi, or most likely, this trailer is misleading

I personaly think its not even lukes voice at the end.

to many fanboys and stupid youtubers are making an enormous damage to the lore. this need to stop.

22. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Whats wrong with GREY? ....

SW never branches out.

SW STOP BRANCHING OUT.

oh fans.

DarthIshyZ and Kev-Mas_Colcha like this.
  23. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    Grey doesn't do squat. Its boring.

Light illuminates darkness. Darkness consumes light. Interesting visually as well as conceptually. Grey just sits there.

24. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Who gives a crap about what light or darkness does? This isn't a movie about a flashlight in a dark room. Grey opens up new story opportunities, it opens up to a future of new ideas that breaks away from the current ideas of how things work.

So it's a matter of do we keep repeating the same crap movie after movie until we are onto episode 20, or do we branch into a new realm that changes the way people look at the force? Sorry, but come up with something new rather than rehashing the past over and over. Light and Dark can still exist but there's no reason not to expand on a new realm of thinking.

25. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015

well i'm going to personally go what the director of the movie has been saying, and the tone and someone just doesn't like change.