main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Light & Magic - ILM DocuSeries (directed by Lawrence Kasdan)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by bstnsx704, Sep 20, 2021.

1. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Watched all of it. Just great! Loved it!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    Riv_Shiel and Siphonophore like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    On episode 3. This is really well done.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, this is Masterpiece Theatre, except that it's actually a masterpiece.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Ugh. I’ve haven’t been able to watch any of it yet! I intend to rectify that this week though!

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [insert WAT Tambor meme here]

6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I know. I feel great shame.
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    You're the one person who would have watched the entire series 6 times on release day.

Blink twice if you need help.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I would have never guessed that the Star Wars show that would make me the most emotional would be the ILM documentary. Kasdan outdid himself here. And that Tippet interview in episode 3. Wow. Simultaneously devastating and inspiring.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  9. DarthKreVass

Dec 27, 2008
    George was a very generous man. Even back then, the "fraternity" atmosphere didn't seem to bother him too much, and what he did for Joe Johnston was just terrific. Imagine, something like that (building ILM, etc.), that perfect storm might never happen again.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Tippet's attention to detail is just inspiring : he even animated the saddle bags on the Taun-Taun, he didn't have to but it really adds to the realism.

whostheBossk and Sarge like this.
  11. DarthKreVass

Dec 27, 2008
    This documentary goes good with Empire of Dreams, too. Hard to beat EoD, but I think L&M did it.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That was brilliant first episode! Of course I was familiar with the whole cast of characters but it was great hearing it from them the story of ILM’s founding. They certainly looked like they had a hell of a lot of fun! George had the best line at the end though, “I was not happy.” [face_rofl]

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I found myself in tears at the end of episode 3, with Tippet's story being incredibly emotional.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Tippet's story and suddenly having an emotional and human level look at Dykstra's dismissal were handled marvelously.

But my favorite part has got to be everyone blatantly coming out with "To hell with it... Spielberg directed Poltergeist. Everyone knows it. Here's footage".

15. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Haven't gotten to watch this yet, but glad to see Tippett getting so much love. On top of all of the incredible work he's done through his career, his recent passion project of a directorial effort, Mad God, is phenomenal.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Holy Jesus and Mary that looks good.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah that is Grade A glorious.

Bor Mullet and bstnsx704 like this.
  18. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Yep, I adored every frame of Mad God. Really, really incredible work from Tippett.

I caught it digitally last year, as part of some film festival in Hawaii that went digital because of COVID (I'm not from there, but I was able to purchase a digital ticket and stream it). I have Shudder at the moment, because it comes bundled with AMC+ (which I have for the duration of Better Call Saul's final season) so I definitely plan to revisit Mad God again before Saul is over and that subscription gets canceled.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought the episode 5 was pretty sad as the old ways of doing things were being replaced with the new digital technology. Watching the model shop starting to dwindle down after years of them revolutionizing the industry was difficult. Still a very enjoyable episode. George really was way ahead of his time.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Darth Chiznuk, yeah, I built a lot of models as a kid, so I really felt for those model builders. I'm glad some of them found their feet in the new age and still had a lot of useful knowledge to offer.

21. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I feel no urge to watch this.
    But I might.

22. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I haven’t finished the first episode, nearly, but I thought it was fantastic. I will finish it. Coincidently, there’s another documentary on Vice, produced for the Philo digital platform called “Icons Unearthed” which features notables like Marcia Lucas, Phil Tippett and Dale Pollack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I didn't either, but it's great. Highly recommend giving it a shot.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, and Phil Tippet really became the emotional core of this thing. I kind of want just a Phil documentary now.
    I second this recommendation.

25. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Stop motion, “it’s a form of meditation”. Phil Tippett is brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk