main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY COMPETITION 4 (Updated 11/09 - Entry Deadline Over)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Sage_Halcyon, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Here we go.

As mentioned in the other thread, we?ve changed some stuff this time around. Why ? Because many of you complained that the actual choreography never counted enough. Although we did encourage everyone to try and see past the flashy effects and pretty sounds, we understand it?s not always easy. We hope the changes will bring balance to the judging process. So here?s how things are going to happen from now on ? unless of course something goes wrong. In which case we reserve the right to change the rules at any time (so keep an eye out for this thread).

UPDATED RULES

These are the updated rules. Please read them carefully. Discussion with these new rules in effect starts on page 13. Pages 1 to 12 should just be re-read one day, and enjoyed as the proof that LCC 4 was the most chaotic competition TFN Fan Films has ever seen. :p

This new set of rules is much simpler and less demanding. There are two kinds of entries, but before going into the details, this applies to BOTH categories :

Entries must be lightsaber-based. This means that the majority of your fight must feature single-bladed and/or double-bladed lightsabers. Hand to hand combat is fine as long as it doesn't become the highlight of your entry. You may include original/weird weapons if you like but please keep them relatively believable (for example : lightsaber nun-chucks would be pretty stupid).

VIDEO 1 ? Choreography

Your choreography entry should be filmed from 3 angles or less, the camera being completely stationery. You may pan (right/left) or tilt (up/down) the camera to follow the action. Editing should not be more than straight cuts (no crossfades, slow motion sequences or anything like that).

You are NOT ALLOWED to add visual effects.

It should not feature any sound other than what's captured during filming. Music is also out.

You must jump right into the fight. No introduction of characters or story. No fancy costumes. Regular clothes will do.

Briefly put, this is designed so that people will judge only your choreography without being influenced by eye-candy. This is pure choreography.

VIDEO 2 ? Lightsaber-based Fight Scene

This is for those who feel more comfortable working with the complete tools and tricks of filmmaking. Your entry may feature effects, sounds, music, costumes, fast paced editing, multiple camera angles... the whole package. Please note that you do NOT have to do all of that. You may just want the freedom of multiple camera angles along with music and sound effects, but do not wish to add the visual effects. Well, fine with us. Just know you'll potentially be up against high-production value entries... but you and I both know you're in it for the FUN, right ? Cause ultimately, that's what it's all about. ;)

Now for the grand finale, the catch. If you enter the fight scene category, you MUST submit a choreography video as well. So refer to the rules above. I know this is a turn off for some of you, but we want to keep the vocation alive - this IS a choreography competition after all. But don't worry, it won't take you too long to do that. :)

DEADLINE

There is one single deadline for both categories - November 8th. Your entry must be in our hands before 11:59:59 PM, EST that day. That's 4:59:59 AM, GMT and 8:59:59 PM, GMT

No extensions will be granted, and no late entries will be accepted.

VOTING

This will happen between November 8th and November 15th - if everything goes smoothly. There will be a special page designed to let you vote once only.

TECHNICAL DETAILS

Originality will help you score more points. That's not a rule, just common sense. Duel of the Fates gets on everyone's nerves now (at least in fan films).

The duration of each video must be less than 3 minutes and 30 seconds

2. ASOULAN

ASOULAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    FIRST!!! WOOHOO!!!

*EDIT Grrr...now that I've read it thoroughly my enthusiasm has been seriously deflated...

August 14th ? No way possible I can pull this together by then, even a prelim shooting.

Not to be a whiner or anything, but didn't the earlier contests have more time allowed ? For all of the "please don't start on this early" talk we got, I can't see how most of us will be able to coreograph, schedule and practice a routine before the 14th. Or, at least, a half decent one.

Seems those that did start early get a huge advantage.

*EDIT again....

October 14 for the final product is doable. 10 weeks is plenty unless you're planning heavy 3D and CG stuff. But 2 weeks for a submission that will account for 50% of the score ? Pity those folks out there that don't log on to these forums every day and don't learn of the rules till next weekend.

3. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    And so it begins...

Nicely put, Sage. Let me know if y'all need anything. ;)

Good luck to all the participants! :D

4. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Sorta. I sent off a PM to Sage about our entry. Looks like we're grounded from the get-go, barring some sort of special provision :(

5. IndyDreams

IndyDreams Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    YES!!!!!!!

I can't wait. I shall do my best to get an entry together for this! :D

6. AzerNik

AzerNik Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    So why the short, too short in my opinion, timeframe for this? As opposed to the nice 4 months for Comp. 3.

The thing being that this will likely screw over people who are at college and would only be able to film on fall break or Thanksgiving break etc.

The new ideas are interesting, but I think they may, emphasis on may, restrict some people's creativity.

7. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, just got a reply back from Sage. We're good to go! Yay!

8. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    AzerNik - Why, because there's less time ?

You had more time to submit your entries in the past because the deadlines were extended, something I'm personally against. Sage is a little more weak-minded though, so he's the one you'll have to concentrate your efforts on. :p

Seriously, I don't like the idea of extending the deadline because if you really put your time and mind to it, two months is more than enough to complete a -maximum- 3 minutes long video. It just takes a little organization. I KNOW there's school and college, but school isn't so bad, and college, well... If you're in college you should be able to organize your time accordingly, and you should know how to work efficiently.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I was planning on entering this, but with this timeframe, there's no way I'll have the time to do it!

You just missed the would-be winner ;)

Good luck to everyone entering though.

10. RyiokuXL

RyiokuXL Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    2 months, in my opinion, is plenty of time to choreograph, film, edit, add special effects and sound to a max. 3 min video

thats 86,400 Minutes to make a 3 Minute fight

11. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    Perfect rules.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That very much depends on your schedule, as well as how perfectionistic (is that a word?) you are.

13. ASOULAN

ASOULAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    2 months, in my opinion, is plenty of time to choreograph, film, edit, add special effects and sound to a max. 3 min video

Uh...no....not 2 months....2 weeks

The deadline for the coreography that's being graded ( unless I'm reading this totally wrong) is August 14....2 weeks.

*EDIT

thats the proposal, no special effects, sounds, music, or extreme editing of any kind, max of 3 angles, with nothing but the fight, 2 weeks is plenty to do that

A proposal that accounts for 50% of your score. Unless you A) have absolutely nothing to do for the next 2 weeks...or B) already started working on your coreography and/or filming (remember...please don't start early) then it's not enough. Especially if you don't see this thread right away.

*EDIT again....

It's not the point system that has me tweeked. It's the time for the initial submission. It's all fine and dandy if you're a 16 year old on summer holliday from school. Plenty of time to crank out a (very)rough draft.

For the many of us that have daily obligations it will be extremely difficult to get everyone together, coreograph, practice and shoot a draft that would even be worth watching. Not everyones job schedules are that easy to work out.

*EDIT yet again
    [/i]Weren't we told about this weeks ago?

We were also asked not to start working on it until the contest was announced. Maybe I'm a fool for not jumping ahead of the starting gun.

14. RyiokuXL

Jun 2, 2005
    thats the proposal, no special effects, sounds, music, or extreme editing of any kind, max of 3 angles, with nothing but the fight, 2 weeks is plenty to do that

15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    No, it's not!

16. RyiokuXL

Jun 2, 2005
    alright, im sorry, thought the way i see it, if you want to enter this competition, you should stop complaining about the duration, and find a way to do it

17. Goldleader23

Goldleader23 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2003
    Since I'm working a lot on my film right now, the only way I'd be able to enter is if I used my proposal as my final entry (I really like the proposal idea BTW), unless we manage to NOT film any of my movie, in which case I could roto my entry. I'll have to talk to some people.

You had more time to submit your entries in the past because the deadlines were extended
    Actually, in LCC3 we had 4 months from the start (I just checked).

18. BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge

BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Thank God I no longer have to wait for my friend; his basketball practice ended today.

Plus, I like the idea of Stationary camera, three angles; that is how I normally run things, with the camera stationary.

Can somebody clear this up for me:

Do we have to eliminate sound on the "blank" entries?

19. Strikerine

Strikerine Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2005
    How long does the proposal have to be??

20. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    The deadline for the coreography that's being graded ( unless I'm reading this totally wrong) is August 14....2 weeks.

Keep in mind that the choreography can be improved and changed. It's just that those who don't change anything will score a few bonus points. It's the calculation game there as well - if you think you have a better choreography in your final entry after the changes, how much more will you score from the vote, and is it worth it considering you'll lose a few points for not following through ?

Actually, in LCC3 we had 4 months from the start (I just checked).

I stand corrected. We must have given more time to try and avoid people asking for extensions (which didn't work). Personally, I believe 4 months was a lot (I remember of a few posts or emails saying "wow, the deadline's approaching fast, I should stop procrastinating, lol").

21. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Do we have to eliminate sound on the "blank" entries?

No, you don't have to.

It can be as long as or shorter than your final entry (again, as JBK pointed out, room for improvement and change). 3 minutes maximum though.

Sage H.

22. Strikerine

Strikerine Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2005

It can be as long as or shorter than your final entry (again, as JBK pointed out, room for improvement and change). 3 minutes maximum though.

So you wouldnt loose points for sending in something that goes for 30 seconds?

23. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Ok, so let me get this straight...

We have 2 weeks (impossible, improbbable and highly unrealistic for those of us unable to meet up with our sparring partner before the deadline) to submit a rather cut and dry basic choreography set meant as a proof in concept.

Then in the final cut 3 months down the line if the choreography is the same we get bonus points??

The first chance I will have to meet up with my duelling partner will be August 12/13th for a completely differnt project...and within that time I have to train and make a 3 minute vidieo of use duling in a set piece that will be used against the final composition in October?

No offense but this is something completely unfair to the mass majority and it honestly seems in some case a way to exclude many entries.

I could see submitting BOTH videos in October, 1 as a proof in concept and one final.

Otherwise simply put I will not be able to enter this year as I have for 2.5 and 3 (Third place baby!) because of my partner being in another country and time contraints with conflicting schedules.

24. BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge

BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Weren't we told about this weeks ago?

I remember it was about a week before my two-week ban, so thats like three weeks.

My friend and I have been practicing ever since we saw RvB.

EDIT: quick question, Sage:

So, this movie due in two weeks only has to be the choreography?

Which means we can reshoot the movie with better costumes and props in the Final movie?

25. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Wow, it seems to be my existence for the next day or so to give JBK and Sage a hard time. Sorries, guys ;) Whatever you decide to do with my oddball stuff, I'll accept it... even if for one of many reasons my entry wouldn't be accepted, I'll release it alongside it, or just after voting ends. We'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.