main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY CONTEST III***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ryan_W, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Folks, break out your lightsabers.... the time has come.
    Introducing:

*TheForce.net's Fan Films Forum Lightsaber Choreography Contest III*

CONTEST RULES:

Entries must be previosuly unreleased.

Single bladed and double bladed lightsabers only. Any style or combination of these weapons is valid, but no 12-bladed sabers or saber nun chucks.

Hand-to-hand combat within the fight is acceptable, but no long parts without any lightsaber combat at all.

Entries (the entire finished sequence, not just the fighting parts) must be less than 4 minutes in duration.

Effects, costumes, sound effects are encouraged but not necessary.

No Duel of the Fates. No Navras.

The creators' names or company logo are not to appear in the entry for the sake of anonymity.

You risk disqualification if you post about whose entry is whose, including your own.

Like before, we plan to have the open poll voting, and also a separate panel of judges to review and rank the entries. The judges panel is yet to be determined, but will be decided upon by the end of the contest. Anyone who is submitting an entry, or worked on one, will not be a judge.

Should it seem that adding more rules or altering any of these is needed, action will be decided upon via a vote between the 4 contest organizers (Ryan_W, BrandonFlyte, Sage_Halcyon, JediByKnight (JBK)). In the event of a tie, a 5th anonymous TFN moderator will break the tie.

CONTEST DEADLINE / CALENDAR:

Giving you 4 months from the time of this posting, the entry submission deadline is midnight January 1st, 2005 (PST).
    The web page with the entries for download and the voting thread with the poll will go online simultaneously one week later (Saturday, January 8th)
    Two weeks after the polls open (popular vote) the judges' reviews and rankings of the entries will be posted. (Saturday, January 22nd)

CONTEST PRIZE:

We all agree having some sort of prize for the winner(s) of the contest would be fun and a great incentive to participate. Everyone, please feel free to use this thread to discuss ideas for prizes, and how to get them. One idea we've had is to set up a PayPal account that anyone can donate to if they would like to contribute to the contest prize(s). But again, this is the place to talk about any and all prize ideas.

If you have any questions pertaining to the contest that you would like to ask, post them in this thread or feel free to PM any one of the contest organizers (Ryan_W, BrandonFlyte, Sage_Halcyon, JediByKnight (JBK)).

Good luck, everyone. The clock is ticking. ;)

2. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    You guys wanted it, now you've got it. Good luck!

:)

Sage H.

3. Hart-Film

Hart-Film Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2004
    The prize could be like a lightsaber prop replica ?

4. DarthSlimer

DarthSlimer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    We'll see if I can get my ass in gear this time.

- Rico

5. DarthSlimer

DarthSlimer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    EDIT: You know you love the double post. You love it long-time.

- Rico

6. WeirdHat

WeirdHat Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2003
    The anonymity rule seems difficult to enforce. A lot of people might be recognizable in the video even if nobody said out loud who they were.

But apart from that, huzzah.

7. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Yes, totally valid point and it's unavoidable, to an extent. Mainly, we're trying to get rid of "My entry is #4! Vote for me!" or "#7 was done by XXXXXXX, who made that lame/awesome one last time..." etc, etc. It's about trying to encourage voting based purely on the sequence participants put out. It'll never be completely anonymous, but we can try.

8. GrgurMG

GrgurMG Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2003
    Cool beans and rice!!

I already assume the answer's prolly no, but just to make sure... There's no restrictions on the number of combatants or the number of sabers each combatant possesses, right?

-- Edit --

Also, I like the lightsaber replica idea.. although what happens in the case of collaboration? Who gets the Saber? Can't think of anything much better of the top of my head... a free fencing lesson for all those involved? ...dinner at Popeye's Chicken for all? ... a "I won the Choreography Contest and all I got was this lousy shirt... signed by Ryan Wieber" T-shirt?

9. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    That's correct.

10. Ephisus

Ephisus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I'd like to see a lightsaber trophy with some words engraved, twould be awesome, it should be something not practical though, purely wall hanger.

" a free fencing lesson for all those involved?"

you can get those anyway, without winning a no-name competition on an obscure internet board.

11. Darth_Obstreperous

Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    No Navras.

Does that mean we can still use Neodammerung? :D

:p

12. GrgurMG

GrgurMG Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2003
    " a free fencing lesson for all those involved?"

you can get those anyway, without winning a no-name competition on an obscure internet board.

Oh.. yeah, true. Ah.. maybe a few lessons? I dunno. :oops:

The trophy idea's not bad.. almost as good as my T-Shirt idea ;) ... though yeah.. practicality/"degree of insentive" might lack.

Erm.. I dunno how feasibly this idea is.. but if everyone on the forums are encouraged to chip in on this anyhow... how about a forum (maybe theater) compilation DVD.. or maybe just a giftbag of DVDs? A little bit of everything, full/best quality, on DVD player compatible DVDs. Some fanfilms, some FX test, maybe all the entrees, and perhaps RvD 1.0 and 1.5 (depending on when that's gonna be done by). Generally alot of the reward would be saving somone the effort of requesting copies of all the material from individual sources. Maybe some might not care about having DVDs or full quality footage as much, though, so maybe it can go along as an addition to the pot (as in jackpot [face_shame_on_you] .... unless of course that's an option o_O) along with something else.

13. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Does that mean we can still use Neodammerung?

I know you were joking, but just to be clear, no.
    lol

14. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    We all agree having some sort of prize for the winner(s) of the contest would be fun and a great incentive to participate.

As mentioned I've got a DVD I'm willing to donate: Versus by Ryuhei Kitamura, as I'm getting the new version.

15. Padawan_John

Padawan_John Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    Woo-to-the-hoo, nootch!

To concur with an above post, maybe this time I can get my buttox into gear for the contest.

:D

16. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Awesome. Well, time to get started.

*rolls up sleeves*

17. Ann1e-Skywalker

Ann1e-Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2004
    ummmmmm does Tfn have a place u can upload to for the contest?? cuzz im not to sure where or how to host it on the net. as jar jar says "ne help here wuld be hot" Wait scratch that jar jars a f*g just tell me where to put it

18. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Jar Jar's a Fig?

Anyway, you need to get a website to host things, and you're probably going to need to fork out some money to host video files. But for the choreography contest, I'm willing to bet someone will host for you, you'll just need a fast enough connection to transfer it to them.

19. Noobie_Wan_Kenobi

Noobie_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2004
    A dinner at Popeye's Chicken sounds nice. If I were to enter and win. Does that include a flight ticket from Sweden and back. And somewhere to stay while I'm in the USA? :p

Seriously. You can't have prizes like that unless this is a US only contest. There are people from many other countries visiting these boards, you know. :)

20. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Yes, but they're obviously not going to win.

21. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Yes, but they're obviously not going to win.

[face_plain] We'll just see about that.

22. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    How many vids can we enter?

I have one clip un-released and I might be able to create a whole new one by this contest deadline!

23. RustyM

RustyM Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2003
    Yes, how many clips can we enter?

24. Vigilante74

Vigilante74 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2004
    What about format, size, compression, etc? Will there be a standard that everyone should go by?

As for prizes... gift certificate to Amazon.com or something to buy the Star Wars Origintal Trilogy on DVD =P

Oh wait, I already pre-ordered. hehe

25. Jamball

Jamball Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Gotta wunder a little bit if we're going to see R vs. D 1.5 in this little competition.

I second the format question, specifics?

--Jamball

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.