main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Lightsaber Choreography Contest V Has Begun!**

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BkStudio

BkStudio Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2007
    I had my own logo i just forgot to put in the LccV logo

2. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Hey guys. I dont have the list of those who turned in their entries. That list is at home on the PC.

I can however, post a list of those who volunteer to have their entry in the DVD project, which is what I want to focus on next until I can get a confirmation from Ken about the change to the opening of the polls. Once I get that confirmation I can tell you guys exactly when you'll be able to see the entries, and when voting begins.

So far these are the guys who volunteered to have their entries in the LCC DVD;

DVD LCC Entrants

1. NateCaauwe
    2. Vaportrail
    3. JediPastor

Now BruceM, I know you wanted your entry in the DVD but at 11.11fps, it just can't happen. All entries for the DVD must be 720x480, 29.97fps (30fps) and of course interlaced (you'd be surprised how many people forget that last step).

3. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Okay... Consider this your confirmation. :)

The polls open when you release the link. I won't bother to set an opening trigger. Just hide the link until the appointed time.
    Setting an end time is no problem.

All I really need from you is the final list so I can set them up in the database.

4. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Yes, that I have at home. So I will PM you the list (exact file names) this afternoon.

Ok guys. Here we go;

Entries will be available for viewing this Friday (I'll ty to wake up early, I got Midnight Premiere tickets to Spiderman 3) May 4, 2007. You will have the whole weekend to view it and the polls will open Monday May 7th at 12:00 p.m. EST. They will close May 13th at 11:59:59 p.m. I figured that would be enough time to watch the entries and vote while having the judges think of and submit reviews for the entries.

5. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Well, I'll be too busy watching Spider-Man and the playing the game for 360 so I just won't have time for the contest. Oh well, it would've been cool.

:p

This is gonna be the coolest Friday ever! I'm so happy that I finally got to enter an LCC. Historic, I tell you.. but I can't show anyone my entry! Usually I finish a film and I'm linking everyone I know.

Ahhh, patience. Perhaps I should go work on the final draft of my screenplay, the one with all those other lightsaber fights.

Obijuan, I'm not sure when you're releasing the DVD but Mik3 and I are planning on fixing up a lot of stuff from our entry that we simply didn't have time to do properly. Are you going to only want the LCCV version for the DVD, or if we have the "HD-Cut" done on time will that be accepted?

-Vaportrail

6. PraetorDrew

PraetorDrew Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2006
    That sounds like a great idea. We'll gladly send you a version of our entry suitable for the LCCV DVD. When do you need it?

7. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    Shout out to all the midnight Spidey 3 viewers! And then friday has fights, my kind of day!

8. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Sadly ya'll are gonna have to watch mine sans sound effects. I ended up submitting a music only version since I couldn't get a sound mix I was happy with on time. I'll still have to finish the sounds in the next two days anyway, because I'm premiering it right after the Spidey 3 midnight showing :D

9. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Premiering it where? At a theater?
    I don't recall if we're 'allowed' to put out different versions until the contest is over with. I was under the impression that until the votes are cast and the judges statements are in, the LCC site is only place they're going to be.

-Vaportrail

10. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    I am probably going to re-shoot my entry with that other camera I told you about on aim. It will be the same coreograpghy, just shot better. How much time to I have to do that?

11. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Friend's apartment ;) Couple of my friends have seen bits and pieces of it, or an incomplete version, so that'll be the big "hooray, it's pretty much done!" event.

12. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Still need another judge?

13. BkStudio

Jan 21, 2007

14. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Actually brook_33, the reason why I needed an extra one was because Ryan_W told me a while ago that he would like to be a judge but things might change. Then I believe it was last night he PM'ed me and said that he's ready.

However, I'll still take on one more. So you got it.

BKStudio, MPEG-2 at it's default is good enough for the DVD.

For those that want in, one more time just so we don't get things confused, here is what I would need for the DVD;

SD footage only, that goes for you Vapes bud. Anyone who shot in HD and wants in on the DVD will have to down convert to SD;

720x480

29.97fps

Keep it interlaced

Very important, you dont want your entry to look blurry on TV. Meaning, set it to "Lower Fields first" when doing the final encoding to MPEG-2.

Encode to MPEG-2.
    Default settings are good but if you feel like you have to adjust it, do not give a high data rate because it'll cause playback problems on the DVD. Keep the maximum rate between 7.0 - 7.5, and keep the minimum rate between 6.0 - 6.5.

As far as a deadline. For now there isn't one, but at the same time I don't want to be waiting too long for it. So go nuts.....for now, but expect a deadline soon after the contest is over.

DVD LCC Entrants

1. NateCaauwe

2. Vaportrail

3. JediPastor

4. BruceM

5. PraetorDrew

6. BKStudio

And just so you guys know who the judges are;

LCC Judges

1. John Wass (DVCPRO-HDeditor)

2. Ryan Weiber (Ryan_W)

3. Michael Dorkman (Dorkman)

4. Keith Abbot (Keith_Abbot)

5. Brandon Flyte (BrandonFlyte)

6. Brook Hubbs (brook_33)

15. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    Actually not neccessary as encoding MPEG-2 video to "Progressive" still keeps 2 fields per frame. The only difference is that each field is the same moment in time (1/24 or 1/30 of a second) while each fields in interlaced video is a different moment in time (1/48 or 1/60 of a second)... unless of course you're talking about converting progressive 23.976 fps to interlaced 29.97 fps which is an entirely different issue.

"Progressive" 23.976 fps video encoded in the MPEG-2 DVD format actually plays back fine on a regular interlaced TV but ONLY as long as the proper VOB header information is present to allow the video to play back as both interlaced and progressive. That same information also fools the DVD player by stating that the frame rate is 29.97 fps, even when it actually isn't (by using field tags/markers). Also, 29.97 fps progressive video, or "30p" (such as what my Canon optura can record in) will also play fine on a normal TV even if the VOB header states that it is interlaced only. Nothing special has to be done in the case of 30p video.

Of course if you're not familiar with what has to be done to make 23.976 fps progressive DVD video play back properly on your interlaced TV WITHOUT actually changing the frame rate, then yes, converting it to 29.97 fps interlaced DVD video is by far the easiest solution.

Ouch, that statement is completely wrong. While it is true that DV video is always supposed to be lower field first, NTSC DVD video is always upper field first. a quick google search will prove this... also I encoded the DivX version of RvD2 at lower field first and encoded it to DVD. Man did that ever look weird. After that I looked it up and found that NTSC broadcast TV, DVD and HDTV is all upper field first.

16. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004

Shouldn't you have an uneven number of judges so that theres no chance of a tie? (as highly unlikely as it it, you never know)

-Jacob "Sith-Man" Sheppard

17. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    well you learn something new everyday. Thanks.

Judges don't determine who wins. The vote does. The judges give reviews, tips and advice for the next time.

18. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    Oh... lol, forgot about that, but now that I think about it, I remember that from last contest... I'm still bumed I didn't get mine filmed... I blame Canada though... And the evil squirrels.

-Jacob "Sith-Man" Sheppard

19. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    My mistake guys, we have 17 entries.

20. BkStudio

Jan 21, 2007
    are you going to post the entrants names

21. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Nope, wrong again. It's 18 guys. I nearly missed one.

And they are...in this order;

1. Davsat5

2. Wookieefett

3. PraetorDrew

4. TigerCraneFist & Darth_Carl

5. JediPastor

6. Calvinthejedi

7. BruceM

8. Matthew Ramsaur 1 (Non-TFN Member)

9. Matthew Ramsaur 2 (Non-TFN Member)

10. Matthew Ramsaur 3 (Non-TFN Member)

11. NateCaauwe & IndyDreams

12. Vaportrail & 1337mik3

13. Whiteley79

14. BKStudio

15. FSFilms

16. JediCow

17. Silentbat

18. Goddard11

There you have it. In two days you guys will be able to see their entries.

22. Darth_Abdax

Darth_Abdax Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 12, 2005
    So his last name's Dorkman? :D

23. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Holy Crap. I didn't see that lol. Good eye.

LCC Judges

1. John Wass (DVCPRO-HDeditor)

2. Ryan Weiber (Ryan_W)

3. Michael Scott (Dorkman)

4. Keith Abbot (Keith_Abbot)

5. Brandon Flyte (BrandonFlyte)

6. Brook Hubbs (brook_33)

24. Calvinthejedi

Calvinthejedi Jedi Master star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    Sweet, I'm number 6 on the list. :D (6=2x3. 23! :) )

25. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Huh.
    How do we go from #3 to #12 already? Recount, I say. Recount!

Looks like a solid list, though. A little familiarity to it this time, even if only in name. Hopefully you'll post the names along with the links.. I don't think we used our TFn names in the entry. Actually, I don't even think we put the title in there. Cripes.

Yeah.. we'll be touching up a few things before the HD version. This is what you and your stinkin' deadlines get, man.
    [face_hypnotized]

-Vaportrail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.