main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber Competition

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by *DMaul*, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *DMaul*

*DMaul* Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2000
    Ok, for those of you who have been folowing the thread about Ryan's sabers in AlamDV, you know what I'm talking about...For those of you who dont, here is a little explination...

We would like to see what sabers YOU guys think are the best out of a different number of programs. (AlamDV, AE/Photoshop, Axogon, etc)

Now, we will ONLY want to put in sabers, and no flashes what so ever. One person will be assigned to each program.

We will also need a short clip of a saber fight. One that has VISIBLE sabers, and is fairly easy to roto, and doesnt have to have a large file size.

We will ALSO need space to upload these finished clips. If anyone can provide us with a little bit of space, we can probably keep the size for each clip pretty small, it would be much appreciated.

Each clip will be RANDOMLY numbered, so you have no clue which program you are voting for. We DO NOT want to take sides with programs.

Now, a list of programs. Unfortunately, due to Snowball's forum, we cant edit the post after a certain amount of time, so, there will be updates throughtout the thread of who is doing what.

Programs:

After Effects

Photoshop (maybe AE and Photoshop can be combined unless they have 2 different techniques)

AlamDV

Axogon/Mainvision

Ulead Media Studio Pro

If anyone else has any more ideas for programs, and would like to contribute, please do so.

Thanks!

2. KC0GRN

KC0GRN Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2001
    Oh oh and GIMP! For another trial program that is.

3. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    Photoshop and After Effects will be counted differently, they're two very different processes as After Effects takes a lot of tweaking to get the sabers right.

4. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    I think they're definitely worthy enough to deserve being entered seperately.

Anyway, I'm up for doing the Photoshop clip!

I guess people should just volunteer if they feel like getting in on this...

5. KaosConMan

KaosConMan Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2002
    I think this a great idea! I wish I could help, but I can't claim proficiency in any of these programs. I have played with stills in PaintShop Pro 7 (which could be used along with it's Animation Shop for video).

What I want to ask is if there is any way we could also include 'amount of work required' in the final analysis. I realize this could be tough seeing as all will be working on separate clips and with different proficiencies.

Which kind of leads into the idea of using a unified clip to be editting?? Yes/No, Good idea/Bad? If this wasn't the original intent I think it would help in the judging/voting.

6. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Do you mean will we all work on the same raw clip?
    Yes.

7. sinistergfx

sinistergfx Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2002
    How about multiple techniques in a program?

I've made up a photoshop technique that I've never seen anyone else use (although it is kinda based on one technique, but highly modified).

8. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Iyidin_Kyeimo Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2000
    I don't think you should limit each program to one person, there are many different techniques/methods. Best to let everyone have a go. The prize for the winner/runners up is to write a tutorial 8-}

9. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I'm up to doing an Axogon representation.

Heck, I can even do a ALAMDV 1 version.

So who's gonna supply the clip?

10. *DMaul*

Apr 1, 2000
    UPDATE

Ok, we now have Gimp and PSP.

Now, with the whole time thing, I completely forgot about that =P. But, we should post the time it took to do AFTER the results are posted (ie after we tell what # video was done with what program).

And different techniques are good. We would like to see a varity in the sabers.

After Effects

Photoshop

AlamDV

Axogon/Mainvision

Ulead Media Studio Pro

GIMP

Paint Shop Pro 7/Animation Shop

If you would like to voulenteer for a program, please send me a PM so I can update the list with your name. It gets tough to sift through all of the posts to find who REALLY wants to do this. (when it comes time to doing it, we dont want people to try and get out of doing this :))

Also, another idea I have had.

For the people who are on dial-up, and would still like to view the different ways the sabers are made, we can each take a picture (RAW picture, nothing that has already been edited on) and upload that with the saber on it, and again, post the time it took to make that picture.

This is getting off to a great start so far, thanks for the ideas :)

We still need footage and space, so if anyone is willing to provide those things, we are definately up to it!

11. muphicks

muphicks Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    Some people might be just better than others at doing saber effects :( It might be an idea to let the same person enter their clip done with different programs that way people would be judging the method as opposed to the person who did it.

Unless your wanting to see who is the best at doing saber effects?

Also unless everyone gets the same clip to work on it might be harder to do one clip compared to another.

If your wanting to find out the best technique, get everyone to use the same clip and if possible to submit entries using as many of the programs as they own. That way you at least minimise the bias and get it closer to a "which technique is better" than "which person is better".

If you see what I mean :p not sure if I explained that correctly.

bb

12. link64PD

Jun 15, 2001
    >>Some people might be just better than others at doing saber effects

Well, it's not gonna be a thing where every person throws out their clip with their respective program. There should be one representative per program, otherwise it'd get too messy. All you have to do is find out who would be the best person to represent the program. That way you have a pool of people who are equally good at saber effects, in their own element. There are a couple obvious choices for candidates, Ryan for Photoshop, as I'm sure everyone will agree that he has the best PS tutorial out there, EagleI for Axogon as I never knew Axagon could even do sabers until I saw his clips :). Perhaps Clay for MSP if he want's to do it. Do you see what I mean? Once all the candidates are chosen for each program, I'm sure you'll feel that each program will be equally represented as far as skill goes :).

13. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Does Lokmer think I'm better or him?

14. StupidFilmsInc

StupidFilmsInc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2001
    I can do it for ALAMDV or Photoshop. Although I'm better with ALAMDV!

15. Riskbreaker

Riskbreaker Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2002
    I'm up for After Effects.

I been looking for something to roto lately ;)

16. Lar_1138

Lar_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    hmm...i wanna do afterFX too......how is this handled...flip a coin...miniature rotoscoping showdown???

if you wan't...i got an example(thanks to Ryan_W for the footage)

[cute voice]I made this.

17. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Of course being the die hard after effects user I would be happy to voulenteer my skills for this. It sounds fun. If you have someone doing Ryan_W's sabres in after effects I could always do the glow plugin method. Though it requires you having PB.

(glances over at his brand new AE5.5 PB box) *grins*

18. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Actually, now that I think about it, multiple artists for the same program may be a good thing as they might use different methods. I guess as long as we don't have two people doing the same method in the same app it's all good.

For instance, Shawn PTH could do AE with the glow plug-in and Link64PD could do our method.

See what I mean?

19. link64PD

Jun 15, 2001
    That's a good point. Alright, I'll be willing to use our AE method. Any word on hosting?

20. Thayne_Correlles

Thayne_Correlles Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2000
    I do a different Photoshop method.. So if you want, I can do one... are we all rotoscoping the same footage?

Thayne

21. link64PD

Jun 15, 2001
    Yup, all the same clip.

22. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    *yawn* Been there, done that.

http://www.jedi2016.com/starwars/saber_compare.htm

23. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    I'm up for doing one in Commotion, if you folks are inclined to have me.

24. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Hey, guys.

If you haven't already come up with a piece of footage, I can offer you the clip that comes with the Composite Toolkit. The clip (already roto'ed and composited) can be seen here (pay no attention to the sabers -- this was made to show the composite :) ).

If you're interested in using it, I'll have it uploaded onto the dvGarage website for you to download.

Dave

25. *DMaul*

Apr 1, 2000
    UPDATE

Here is an updated list of who is doing what for which program:

Photoshop: Ryan_W, sinistergfx

Commotion: pahket

AE: Riskbreaker

AlamDV: StupidFilmsInc

Again, if you would like to participate, please send me a private message telling me you are willing to do this.

Hmm...It would be easier to see the clips WITHOUT the sabers :)...If you guys can get those, it may be a little easier to decide :)

Jedi2016: I know we did that before, but what we are talking about is with moving video. And there are now updated versions of some programs (for instance, AlamDV2), and there are also many different ways of doing the sabers. So, this is just more of an update of what we did a while ago at the FFF.

Another update will hopefully follow soon! And if I can convince my friend, we may have some space to store the clips (I'm not saying anything yet, tho)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.