main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Lightsaber forms- which is your favorite?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by AuroraRogersSkywalker, Apr 29, 2015.

?

Which lightsaber form do you think is overall the most effective?

1. Form I: Shii-Cho

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. Form II: Makashi

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. Form III: Soresu

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. Form IV: Ataru

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Form V: Djem So/Shien

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  6. Form VI: Niman

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  7. Form VII: Vaapad/Juyo

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. AuroraRogersSkywalker

AuroraRogersSkywalker Jedi Padawan

Apr 11, 2015
    So I've recently done some research about the seven forms of lightsaber combat, and have found it very interesting. How many of you know much about the lightsaber forms? If you were a Jedi or Sith, which form(s) would you want to use based on your strengths and weaknesses? Also, which form do you feel is overall the most effective?

2. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I would have chosen Form VII: Vaapad/Juyo. I've mentioned this before, but I would be a very ferocious fighter, making sure the enemy doesn't have time to think.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    To observe I'd probably choose Makashi. I wouldn't have a 'saber as a physical warrior I am not but my traits are most suited to Soresu.

4. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    This seems slightly more like an EU Community topic, I think. Yes, I realize there is a similar lightsaber form thread here, but even that doesn't quite belong. Just trying to keep things moderately filmic. (Moving to EUC.)

5. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Djem So. Anakin Skywalker is noted for practicing this form, and I feel it allows for the flash of Ataru without the defensive issues.

AuroraRogersSkywalker likes this.
  6. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Soresu. If it's good enough for Kenobi it's good enough for me. It always served him well.

7. AuroraRogersSkywalker

AuroraRogersSkywalker Jedi Padawan

Apr 11, 2015
    Oh well. XD I just thought it seemed like a reasonably in-depth thing to talk about, and it does relate to the saga because some of these forms have been around since the OT. Some of them were developed by professional sword masters who trained some of the actors and stunt doubles.

Yeah, that is pretty cool. I wouldn't do that one because I have a very petite build and wouldn't have the physical strength for Djem So or Ataru.

I'd probably go with Soresu since it helps you save your energy and outlast your opponent. I love the idea of all of these forms though!

Is anyone else kind of surprised that Kit Fisto used Shii-Cho against Sidious?

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Why? Sometimes there is wisdom in using simplicity against cunning. I think many forget this.

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  9. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I'd go for Makashi. Elegant, classical, and the only form that actually makes sense, given that if you had a weightless blade (with intense gyroscopic effects that resist motion and exponentially build momentum) where every single point on it was the cutting edge, you'd be resorting mostly to thrusts and stabs. Modern sabre fencing (or perhaps épée) would probably be the closest analogue; there would be absolutely no waving it around like the shinai of Japanese kendo. From an OOU perspective, it's obviously the most effective, such that you would never realistically expect any form that involves the kind of slashing and/or acrobatics seen in the other forms, although from an IU standpoint, Juyo/Vaapad would probably be equally or more efficient at dispatching fellow lightsaber wielders.

Tim Battershell likes this.
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I'd choose Niman. But I'd back it up with Makashi and a little Soresu.

11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The one where they swing their swords in front of themselves, occasionally hitting the enemy's sword. It all comes down to that in the end. ;)

12. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    It would need to be backed up with a Blaster-defensive form, but I choose Makashi (Form II).

Unlike pure Soresu it is easy to counter-attack with, while being economical in terms of expended energy. Dooku chose it for a reason!

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  13. Agent M

Agent M Jedi Padawan star 2

May 13, 2015
    Ataru but I wouldn't fully rely on it.

14. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    Well - whilst my choice was Form III Soresu as it is practically on defense and whilst it 'delays the inevitable' ask yourself is it better to at least try to delay the inevitable long enough for your friends and comrades to get away ... or rather go forth impulsively and aggressively with Power BUT your defense is as good as glass canon ... I mean putting P.I.S. and plot aside why else was it Obi-Wan Kenobi was one of the few to fend off against Anakin - and particularly at the height of Protocol/Order 66 where Anakin in a worked up rage had taken out a number at the Jedi Temple and including Cin Drallig - being the Jedi Temple's Swordsmaster ...

But perhaps also ... why not Form 0? The concept emphasis being '"Remember, your lightsaber is an invaluable tool. Even when inactive, it can defuse a potentially volatile situation. Trust me on that." as Kyle Katarn explained ... and Master Yoda would have approved of this ...

And besides - don't Forms III and 0 emphasis the need for blood-less combat and to resolve violence with perhaps simply words and the sight of a Lightsaber being enough to defuse the situation already? I mean the fact in Form III - notice with Obi-Wan Kenobi at times when he dueled he did try to reason with opponents - least of which Anakin where he tried to plead with Anakin to 'COME TO YOUR SENSES ANAKIN! CHANCELLOR PALPATINE IS EVIL!' although to no avail but surely then Form III atleast gives you the advantage to also not just defend BUT to also try to reason with your opponent?

15. GrimdarkRose

GrimdarkRose Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 19, 2015
    ^ Right there, you have covered pretty much everything I wanted to say regarding Soresu. Thank you.

I would add that personally I never feel comfortable with attacking someone in a fight, so a defensive form fits me very well :)

16. Regan21286

Regan21286 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    I prefer swinging, turning, and jumping wildly like someone who's drunk. Or more seriously, Djem So, since I'm always more offense than defense.

GrimdarkRose likes this.
  17. Count Malvern

Count Malvern Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2015
    Well since there don't seem to be to many advocates for Niman I shall step up for such a thing. *Clears throat* So most people will obviously point to the battle of Geonosis whenever someone brings up Niman. Their main argument is usually something along the lines of "Didn't almost all the practitioners die in that battle" Yes the practitioners did, and even then a good portion were during the retreat if I remember correctly. But enough on that subject let's get to the nitty gritty of Niman. The diplomats form as some call it, and for the most part the people who did use this form were not the best duelists. Niman was stated to be a form meant for one to practice little to be competent enough should the needs of combat arise. However when taken to the furthest degree Niman became a form of immense power and something that not many could contend with. Perfect examples of such a thing are Exar Kun, Darth Caedus, Darth Plagueis, and Kao Cen Darach.

What these four brought to the table was what could be possible if one was strict and stuck to their training of Niman. Exar Kun thought to be the greatest Niman user in the galaxy only had one true opponent that could hold out against him. With his lightsaber Exar Kun wasn't prepared for just some simple battle but for almost anything that could come at him. Mixing in Trakata tricks and quick bladework Exar Kun cut down jedi in short order with extreme ease mind you. In my opinion had Exar Kun and say anyone besides a select few jedi or Sith met on the battlefield he'd be the victor. This is not taking his Force powers into account.

Darth Caedus... Many people hate him, say he's inconsistent, and a horrible character. I personally love him and his combat style. After his fall most of his fights were with jedi of the upper tier such as Katarn, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo and even Luke himself which two of these opponents he bested, nearly beating Luke. In almost every encounter he was caught off guard and unawares by the attack still able to put up a fight. Even against Mara Jade who had the significant drop on him. Katarn and two other jedi attacked Caedus by surprise and not only did he defeat them, but he was injured. Not something to take lightly considering Katarn was one of the best duelists of the order. Even Luke himself struggled against Caedus stating him to at least be as fast as Palpatine. Remember Luke and Palpatine moved near light speed in the Dark Empire comics. Caedus used any and everything at his disposal to win. He studied his environment and used what he could to overcome these encounters including dirty fighting.

Not much to say for Plagueis as we haven't seen to much of him, but from what we can conclude from what we have seen. He has moved fast enough that even a droid made to track blaster bolts couldn't track him, moved fast enough his lightsaber seemed to be lightning, and that even Palpatine was scared to face him.

Kao Cen Darach, this zabrak surprised me in the SWTOR trailer as not only did he manage to fight off Malgus, and Vidican he did it wielding a double bladed lightsaber and his own at the same time. Easily using his speed and adapting to the situation at hand Darach took on the Sith meeting them head to head with intricate bladework and movements to dodge their attacks while lashing out with his own. While using the force to grant himself space. Of course he fell to Malgus in the end, but what you must remember is that he had just went through a long winded fight between two Sith that were coming at him with lethal intent, anyone would be tired and ready to give out.

In short what I'm saying is that if one follows sticks to just the basic diplomat's style they will not amount to much. However if willing to focus and train that ability till they can no further the limits are only their own imagination. You are prepared for not just certain situations but almost any. Your bladework unparalleled, shock and awe are your allies, and you have the ability to use styles from every form blending them together to create a devastating style.

Darth Dnej and Tim Battershell like this.
  18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Vaapad (so powerful) and Makashi (so elegant)

Darth Dreadwar likes this.
  19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Djem So. It's just so powerful!

20. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm always torn between Vaapad/Juyo and Djem So/Shien. Both are very appealing in their styles.

21. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    My Jedi Exile loves Niman.

22. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    I love the elegance of Makashi. It's almost like a dance. Dooku was one of the most powerful Jedi to ever live, and in his wisdom he chose that form and it served him very well. He absolutely DESTROYED Obi-Wan. The only reason he lost to Anakin is that Anakin was quite simply more powerful than Dooku and used his anger. Honestly, I think age played a factor in that as well. Had Dooku been even 60, I don't think he would have lost to Anakin.

23. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Soresu, it really is a superb defense form.

24. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    Wasn't Kenobi described as THE master of Soresu in the ROTS novel? It's been a while since I've read it.

25. Count Malvern

Count Malvern Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2015

Yes Obi-Wan was THE master of Soresu and was even known to be so by Mace and WIndu. He had compensated for its weaknesses unlike Zannah, and could deal with General Grievous where other jedi had trouble/ Even Mace acknowledged he would have trouble with Grievous.

As for Dooku, I see him loosing the fight as him being tired. As you said he was a man getting way up there in age and the Force can only do so much. Considering he was facing THE premiere masters of Djem So, and Soresu of course he'd be exhausted going against them. He has to deal with an overwhelming offense as well as a defense that is nearly impenetrable. Without things like force choke and push he would have been defeated. Dooku is not one for games. Though if it had just been him against Anakin from the beginning Anakin would've been the one loosing his head.

I still stick to Niman being the best form overall.