main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Lightsabers and stuff...

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by JediXXL, Apr 11, 2003.

1. JDuffPhoto

JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 3, 2010
    Electronics are working on my new saber. Still have a lot of work to do and some powder coating on a part when I finish machining it. I think I have a problem with my charger. It's not charging my SaberForge hilt and I thought it was a problem with the saber. Tested with my new saber and same thing - will not charge. Glad I didn't tear my SF hilt apart.

2. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Good news about the electronics, bad about the charger.

Oh, Jon, all my plans for that Dooku changed after seeing the POC install, the board I wanted to use won't even physically fit in the hilt. Oh yea, it is also cast Stainless Steel.............Still deciding things on that Saber

Joy oh Joy!

Dave

3. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    Got some new stuff for the Gungi Saber - a blade plug, Wood Covertec Knob, and a kill key for the electronics. The blade plug is a real tight fit so I have a bit of work to do to finese that in, but it will look sweet.

Oh, anybody who saw my post about the Hollow Dooku hilt and wants to check it out, shoot me a PM. I know the guy doing the run has 15 slots left then they are gone. I don't think he is going to make another run of them, ever. Once the Dooku run is done, he is going to get crackin on the Hollow Sideous (YAY Janice and I), so that wil be cool. I'm hoping a hollow Obi TPM comes back around, I still want one of those.......

Dave

4. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    My smart charger is no longer working. I thought it was just my Saber Forge hilt, but it's also happening to my custom built hilt as well. I ordered a new charger, due to arrive today...except our absolutely awesome US Postal Service hasn't bothered moving it from the receiving facility in Washington. Nice that I'm paying for 2 Day Priority mail and this is the second time this facility has held on to a package past the expected delivery day.

5. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
  6. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!! Well, that explains it...

7. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Lightsabers safely transported to new abode. They were getting lonely...

8. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    Twas a good day for me - My Hollow Mara Jade Saber came in (pics to come) and I got these in my email, the first completed pics of the Hollow Duke, should be in my hands shortly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave

9. Doubleblade86

Doubleblade86 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 29, 2009
    definitely due for a lightsaber upgrade..... now just need to make a decision on which one to get ....

10. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Whatcha lookin' for?

11. Doubleblade86

Doubleblade86 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 29, 2009
    just simple red one for now.

12. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    shall we talk shop, or do you have another option in mind?

13. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    Looking at a couple of sabers after dan put idea in my head with his challenge lol he he he

14. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    Challenge accepted.....3 more ordered today

15. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Equip an army I will

16. SithLordDahlia

SithLordDahlia Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2014
    I would like some help/advice. I'm brand new to this and I would love to be able to make my own personal lightsaber. Some questions I have are as follows:
    • How much does personalizing a lightsaber come around?
    • What are some of the best websites to browse/order for parts?
      And...
    • Are there any tools need to put the lightsaber together? i.e power tools or anything.
    I will admit that I am a noob when it comes to this. That's why I would like to ask you guys for help. If I do this, I want it to be perfect. Thanks in advance.

17. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Welcome to the forums!

There are a number if websites and each offer different products. I've never built one myself, but I have purchased from two different vendors.

Jon may need to chime in regarding building them. He has orders parts and built them.

As far as price, it's the same with costumes in this hobby. You can spend a lot and get a great piece, but you have to stick with your budget. It is sometimes best to save some money and spend a little more rather than try to save and end up regretting the purchase.

I do know that a decent saber with some gadgets might run between $120 - $175.

18. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Got word back from the saber smith, the new triple threat is indeed on the horizon.......debut in June........

19. SithLordDahlia

Mar 16, 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply! What are the websites? I've been able to find Ultrasaber and Saberforge. I keep finding really mixed reviews on both of them. Any certain websites you can vouch for?

20. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    I don't think anyone in the group has had a good experience with saber forge.

My experience with Ultrasabers has been Ok. I've bought 10 or 11 sabers from them and outside of the messy wiring everything has been pretty good.

I would highly recommend not getting a sound card from them. My Malgus saber had a card in it and it posed nothing but issues.

If you are crafty you could always make your own. You will have to know how to solder. The custom saber shop sells all the parts and provides you with the ability to totally customize every part of your saber.

As Chris stated, Jon or JDuffPhoto would know more than most of us when it comes to that.

21. quigonschuel

quigonschuel Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2011
    Calling Dr. Duffie, Calling Dr. Duffie...Consular still inoperative, need assistance STAT! :(

22. SithLordDahlia

Mar 16, 2014
    I see. I'm not crafty, but I am a quick learner. I'm sure I can figure it out myself. One thing I'm really hoping to be able to customize is the lighting. I would like to make it a Black Core lightsaber. I believe it is possible, but what are your inputs?

23. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Jonathan Xavier Jones Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2012
    I have been working with Jon using The Custom Saber shop webisite with their very nice custom saber builder. Before this I used UltraSabers and other than the wireing, was very happy with the product.

24. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    Oh Duffather - I have a potential new project for you to start thinking about. Just got in, on a trade, one of the new Parks Steel Obi TPM Sabers, empty. I'm thinking the new Prizm board might work ;)

Oh yea, that thing is HEAVY. It might have to become a show piece BUT it may be a belt hanger for 'close ups'

Dave

25. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Is it the same status? sound, no light?