main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Lightsabers and stuff...

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by JediXXL, Apr 11, 2003.

1. JDuffPhoto

JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 3, 2010
    If you are thinking along the lines of the Dark Saber from the Clone Wars, it really isn't possible. The LED isn't strong enough to push all the way through the poly blade. The LED is also centered in the holder, so to achieve a Black Core, you would need an actual black core inserted into the poly blade to keep the light from the center of the blade. This will effectively block out the LED altogether with little or no spill pushing through the edges of the blade.

I've seen only one person make an actual Dark Saber and to do this, they used a flat Plexiglas blade that they illuminated. It worked, sort of. By the end of the blade, the light was fairly dim and being plexi material, it makes the blade heavy. You also cannot duel with it at all.

Saber blades are made of a nearly indestructible plastic polymer. This makes them safe to use for dueling in that you don't need to worry about shattering. The illumination effect is due to the diffusion treatment both inside and outside of the blade.

Wiring a stunt saber (basic light effect, no sound board) together takes minimal skill with a soldering iron. If you plan on adding sound at a later date, you will need some practice as some of the boards can be complex with very little room for error.

Talk to me at the next meeting, I'll bring a saber for you to look over.

2. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    I'd have to see the hilt to see how much room I have to work with. I'm interested in seeing one of Saberz custom hilts.

3. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Avoid Saberforge unless you have money sitting around that you prefer to waste. Customer service isn't his priority, nor is standing behind his product. I have one that he screwed up and after calling him on it, he stopped communication with me.

I've repaired several Ultrasabers already and got a first hand look at their patch worked wiring. If you don't have a ton of money to throw into a saber, they will get you by. I'm not saying that they are terrible at all - I have one and it's done the job for me. Their problem is, they are mass produced and when you mass produce anything, quality tends to slip . They are pretty durable as they are aluminum hilts. I don't care for the Obsidian sound board myself as I don't find it to be as dynamic as some others that are available.

My advice would be to spend a little extra and get parts from the Custom Saber Shop. You can design the hilt from their parts and make it yours.

4. quigonschuel

quigonschuel Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2011
    Yes, unfortunately. :(

5. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    You'll probably need a new LED. I just checked the Custom Saber Shop, doesn't look like they carry the Seoul P4 stars anymore. I checked Mouser Electronics too and there isn't anything listed. I wonder if the P4 was discontinued. If that's the case, your best bet is a Rebel Star Green from the custom saber shop.

Charge up the batteries and let me have the saber again. I'll give it one more test to see if it lights before we order anything.

quigonschuel likes this.
  6. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
  7. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
  8. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Just a reminder - Anyone in need of a new saber or saber repairs before the Bison's event, please contact me asap.

On deck right now:
    Jonathan XJ - epoxy blade tip to new blade (saber complete)
    Karen - replace guarded switch (part order arrived, waiting on saber for repair)

That's what I have confirmed right now. Let me know what I can do for you folks!

Jon

9. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    Dr. Duffie:

Just to let you know...my Consular is working great! THANK YOU!!!

10. Lee Solara

Lee Solara North Ridge Secretary star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    We talked about figuring out a day that you would help me assemble my new saber. Thanks so much.

11. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Finally...making some progress on my personal show saber. I may even experiment with some weathering on my current stunt saber. Or... I can start a new build.

Will the madness ever end?????

12. Lee Solara

Lee Solara North Ridge Secretary star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    I wired up my saber. It looks great. Now to figure out weathering the handle.

13. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    This is the month for experiments!!! Not only did I cut a proper shroud for the first time, I pulled out the ol' chemistry set last night and dunked the part in acid. It's not perfect, but it's perfectly weathered looking. Got my mind cranking on what else I can do to this saber to make it look old.

14. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Sand paper scuffs and black acrylic paint. I paint over a whole piece and let it dry almost all the way. Then rub it off with a paper towel. It helps dull the luster as well as fill in the scuffs.

http://instagram.com/p/oCntM-oREu/

Lee Solara likes this.
  15. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    I did an acid bath and acrylic model paint, thinned and applied/wiped several times over. I have a very mean looking Sith saber on my desk at the moment. Gonna be hard to give this one up...

Lee Solara likes this.
  16. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    I have two more repairs/builds left on deck. As we are getting to the week before the game, unless it's a very quick fix not requiring a parts order, I'm going to call it for saber repairs until after the Bison's game so I can focus on rehearsals and these last final repairs. I do have an extra Jedi Saber if one is needed in emergency.

Please remember to tape off your blade tips before the game. This will keep the tip from flying off during the on field battle. Clear packing tape works best and won't be visible from the stands.

Thanks -
    JDuffSabers - "The officially-unofficial self proclaimed sabersmith of the North Ridge, etc. etc. yada yada hip hip hurray everybody".

(Thank you Big Dan for the official business name!!)

BigDanLevitan and Lee Solara like this.
  17. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    [face_frustrated] NOOOOOOOOOOO!

After charging my batteries for several hours today, one light on my charger is green, the other is still red. Hopefully someplace around here sells these batteries:

900mAH 3.7V (TR14500)

EDIT: Tried the batteries in my Consular, and it turned on -sound and light both function. Weird...

Still want to get a second set of batteries, just in case. Anyone know where I can get these locally?

18. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    That happens to mine sometimes but they charge just fine.

19. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    Are they the rechargable ones that come with an ultrasaber?

20. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Jonathan Xavier Jones Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2012
    It would be probably be a good idea of someone brought some clear packing tape in on Saturday just to be sure. Mainly for the extras who might not see the boards/this post

21. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011

Yes they are, Dan.

22. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    Let me see if I can find mine. I dont use them at all

23. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    Muchas gracias, Dan!

24. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    I summon Thread Necromancer King in attack mode!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    That's a funny looking lightsaber you got there Gil!

R2-KT looks nice though.