main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Lightsabers and stuff...

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by JediXXL, Apr 11, 2003.

1. JDuffPhoto

JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 3, 2010
    I'm a little behind in things due to kids school and real life stuff. I have a couple sabers on the table right now, but I can make a repair for you.

2. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    it should hopefully be a minor repair. where they wires attach to the battery pack one saber has the wire half off and wont work and the other is getting there. i can post a pic a i bit to give you an idea of the issue.

and thank you grand maestro of the saber ways!

3. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Better hurry up and buy all your bits and pieces from Radio Shack before they shut their doors!

4. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    That has to be a NY thing because they are going strong down here in Florida.

5. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    The Shack went bankrupt reports says they are going to close.

6. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    And, now for something completely different...[​IMG]

7. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    Just an FYI for people. Chewdooku's lightsaber rental service is open for business again so people can have a light saber to duel with at SWN 2015. I mostly have red but green and blue as well ...along with a saber with color discs for the color you want

8. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Steve, can I borrow the usual?

WookieeJedi likes this.
  9. WookieeJedi

Jun 15, 2009
    yeah that shouldn't be a problem

10. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    I will have mine available as well. I have a few to choose from mostly reds, a few blues, a green, a purple, and a light blue one.

11. Rock Nightshifter

Rock Nightshifter North Ridge Diplomat star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    VERY EXCITED!!! Kenobi's saber will be on it's way from the Custom Saber Shop. Thanks to Master Telsh for providing the extra guidance so I wouldn't make a Padawan mistake when ordering.

12. Scooter42

Scooter42 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2004
    Hi - one of the Canadian contingent here! I am looking at an Initiate saber from Ultrasabers (the V4 one) and was wondering what weight and length to purchase. I was inclined towards the Guardian or the Sunrider colour. Thoughts? Comments?

13. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    The Initiate series is a shorter handled lightsaber and works best as a one handed secondary sword or as a padawan saber for younger kids. If you are considering this as a main lightsaber, you may want to consider the Dominix, Aeon, or Apprentice models. Blade length is preference, however, you will want a nicely balanced saber so having too long of a blade will offset the balance considerably. Your balance point should be anywhere from the "choke" area or roughly 3 inches from the emitter end of the hilt to within 1 inch past the emitter end. I keep my balance point right on the choke area - 2-3 inches in from the emitter end of the saber.

As for color, that's also a personal preference.

14. Scooter42

Scooter42 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2004
    Thanks for the advice - appreciate it!

15. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I think the location of the balance point is a matter of personal style. Having the balance point 2-3 inches below the emitter is good for duelists whose style is similar to sport fencing where poise, grace, and flare will be emphasized. While a more visually appealing style, sport fencing is abstracted from combat fencing and leaves the duelist highly vulnerable to counter strikes. A higher balance point, put closer to the emitter or just above it by longer blades, is better for more aggressive combat styles where the duelist prefers greater reach and power behind their stroke.

So, if you're emulating Obi-wan Kenobi, go for a shorter blade. But if you want to be more like Mace Windu, go for a longer blade.

16. Rock Nightshifter

Oct 27, 2013
    The Saber is in!!!! Now I must complete my training and paint and wire it. Thanks for all the help Jon. Hoping to have it to bring for the March meeting.

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  17. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    The biggest issue I've noticed for the Initiate hilt using a longer blade, is that the LED isn't as powerful, so the light doesn't shine up the blade as much. I prefer the smaller hilt as well, but the lack of light going up the blade is a problem.

18. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    The LEDs used in the initiate are the same as the other sabers offered. I find that the longer the blade is, there is a dead spot 3/4 down the blade and a flare at the end of the blade due to the reflective disk on the blade tip. Most of the LEDs used have been in the 3W range and are plenty bright. Blade length and proper diffusion make a huge difference in how the illuminated blade will look. This is another reason that I recommend slightly shorter blades (aside from my own preference in balance).

Of course, there are other tips and tricks that can be played to brighten a saber, such as over clocking the LED (i.e. - a 5W LEDEngin Amber that I had previously installed is rated at 1A output, but can be safely run at 1.5A. I ran it at 1.3A with no problem...except I didn't care for the color and preferred the Luxeon Rebel III Amber instead.)

19. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    BB-8 is here!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Darth Erebus and Wild Sidewalker like this.
  20. WookieeJedi

Jun 15, 2009
    Anyone else in need of lightsaber rental besides ....marty..the swannie boys...and bill R

21. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Mindy is going to need a red saber for SWN please!

22. Rock Nightshifter

Oct 27, 2013
    Aiden would if you had one left.

23. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Lightsaber rental?

24. WookieeJedi

Jun 15, 2009
    OK ...duelie noted

25. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    I know they're not always duel-worthy, but I'm really happy the Force FX line is coming back (so long as the quality hasn't tanked. :p)

I reckon this one will either be stupid popular, or inspire a lot of videos of customers destroying them in various ways. :p