main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends "Like Someone in Love" L/M etc. for OTP challenge.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, May 13, 2019.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha 2 Truths 1 Lie Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Disclaimer: Borrowing the characters for fun.

Summary: Mara jumps to the wrong conclusion about Luke.

Characters: Luke/Mara, Rochelle Lassiter (OC), and Corran Horn; Mirax also shows up.

~~!

Luke was more than happy to set up an office/domicile on Coruscant. It gave him time with his family that he sorely longed for. When he took these hiatuses from Yavin 4, Kam was more than capable of filling in.

It was during one of these times that he met and developed a friendship with an archivist, Rochelle Lassiter. She was attractive with honey-blonde curls and amethyst eyes. She was interested in Jedi lore, and this had been her specialty at the University on Bakura.

As such, Luke and she had many long conversations about Jedi history, legendary Jedi temples, etc.

Rochelle's brother, Dalen, was an amateur pod-racer. This sport had been popular on Tatooine once upon a time and now had spread to other worlds.

Dalen had sustained an injury, and Rochelle was concerned about his prognosis.

On the occasion when she was reassured by her parents and the healers that he would recover, her relief was profound. She shared this good news with Luke, who (out of sympathetic gladness on her behalf) gave her a quick hug.

It was at this juncture that Mara strolled into his office, being onworld for a traders' meet-and-greet.

"I hope I'm not interrupting." Mara said with acerbity.

"Oh, of course not!" Luke hastened to say, giving her his most sincere, genuine smile. He was always glad to see Mara whenever he could.

Rochelle explained about her brother to Mara, who made sure to put on the expression of "I'm sure it's none of my business."

Rochelle excused herself and left Luke and Mara alone.

Mara told Luke what she was doing on Coruscant at his inquiry, and Luke asked if Mara would like to go to the nearest eatery for nerf-sliders.

Mara very coolly declined and very offhandedly departed, leaving a bemused Luke behind.

++++

;)

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  2. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    uh oh. Mara has jumped into the wrong conclusion! Just because Rochelle is pretty and smart doesn't mean she's the one for Luke. There's only one true love for him! Is there more to come? I hope so!

3. mayo_durron_666

mayo_durron_666 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2005
    I hope she was! ;) Innocent or not! :p

Nice post! I hope Mara doesn't decline Luke's next lunch invite.

Is there more? Please tell me there is! [face_batting]

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL, there will be more. :) [:D]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I think someone may be a teeny bit jealous...

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Force Ghost star 5

Feb 27, 2014
    Uh-oh, yes, I agree; definitely looks like a misunderstanding has taken place! :eek: An unhappy, jealous Mara is serious business; the fact that she's taking this hard enough to turn down Luke's lunch invitation says a lot. (I have to imagine, too, that that moment wasn't the most comfortable for Rochelle, either.) Luke is going to have some explaining to do, but I have every confidence in him, and I look forward to seeing how the two of them will clear this up! Very sweet work, as always! :)

7. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Mara is so jealous! Rochelle better watch out or could end up Chelle-SHOCKED.[face_shame_on_you]

I think is cool that Luke is bemused and not bewildered. :p

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Bwaha!! This is as classic a trope as ever, and for good reason! It's always a gem to watch such comedies of errors such as this unfold. [face_mischief] [face_love]

Yep - Mara has definitely jumped to the wrong conclusion here. Not that I can say I blame her! Rochelle sounds like a dear, and it's easy to put two and two together and come out with ten! [face_laugh] :oops: But, now our favourite ex-Imperial gets to back off for a moment to consider just why her very dramatic flare of jealousy has bothered her so much. Just as a bewildered Luke here too maybe has a conclusion or two of his own to reach! I can't wait to see what comes next. :D [face_dancing]

=D=

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Two...

Mara stopped by her favorite bistro and ordered take-out of nerf steak smothered in grilled medallions with mushroom sauce. She applied the purchase to her cred-chip when she heard a familiar voice.
    "Well, hello, Jade."

She turned and saw Corran Horn, someone she got along well with, thanks to her friendship with Mirax and his cordiality during her brief stay at the Jedi Praxeum. He hadn't been pushy about her training nor bugged her about any so-called feelings for Luke.
    She said a crisp but distracted hello back, and he frowned, noticing her air of overall disgruntlement.

"Luke's not pestering you to train again, is he?" Corran asked, as he slid credits into the suitable slot, picking up his own take-out of grilled madoc fish with butter and spices. Corran knew nothing got next to Mara in a worst way.

Mara's scowl deepened. "No, he was otherwise occupied when we encountered one another."

Corran puzzled over that statement and Mara elaborated, "He was talking to someone named Rochelle."

"Ah! That must've been about her brother." Corran replied helpfully. "It was all over the 'net about the racing mishap."

"So ..." Mara attempted a casual tone as they exited the bistro. "There's nothing going on between the two of them?"

Corran's eyes lit with sudden understanding. Mara was jealous! He suppressed a satisfied smirk. He and Mirax had a running bet on who would admit to the mutual attraction first.

"If by that you mean, romantically, there's only one lady Luke has the hots for." Corran assured.

If that's supposed to make me feel better, it didn't, Mara admitted to herself reluctantly.

Corran paused and gave her a sidelong wink. "And I'm looking at her."

Mara felt a surprised thrill run through her. "Who, you can't mean, me?"

"None other, not for the longest time." Corran grinned. "I'm glad I ran into you, by the way. If you're here next Benduday, Mirax wants you to have dinner with us."

"Sure, that's fine." Mara agreed, still amazed by Corran's revelation.

+++

;) [face_laugh]

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Force Ghost star 5

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh ho! Of all the people to learn the truth from, especially with the jokester streak we know he has... and of course this is exactly how he would pass on a piece of, well, rather sensitive information like this! :p I don't blame Mara from being more than a little gobsmacked... I wonder what her next course of action will be. (Because there is more to come, amirite? :D )

11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love this with all the scheming going on. Coran and Mirax in the mix with Mara[face_dancing][face_laugh]

12. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    This story is too freaking adorable. [face_love] Of course Luke is able to make friends with anyone, especially with similar interests, and of course the naturally suspicious Mara jumps to conclusions. [face_laugh]

And the second part....Corran of all people is the one to tell her. And that bet between him and Mirax! [face_rofl] Love it!

Not enough Luke and Mara fics out there. Keep up the good work! [:D]=D=

13. mayo_durron_666

Nov 26, 2005
    I love Corran in this! [face_laugh]

"If by that you mean, romantically, there's only one lady Luke has the hots for." Corran assured.

Corran paused and gave her a sidelong wink. "And I'm looking at her."

This was hilarious! [face_rofl]

Loved Jade & Horn's interaction in this. And seeing Mara jealous but in complete denial. [face_laugh] Can't wait for more! Great job! =D=

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  14. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Mara's 'who me?' makes me thing the lady doth protest too much. o_O

Nice see Corran again! Corran, the gossip! :p Just couldn't wait to spill the beans. [face_shhh]

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Three ...

On the day Mara was to dine with the Horns, she was still feeling a deep sense of wonderment over Corran's revelation about Luke's feelings for her. Thinking back on it, though, Mara realized that there had always been an undertone of admiration and keen anticipation from Luke whenever she showed up at the Praxeum that he never directed towards any other student/trainee, potential or otherwise.

If she had noticed it at the time, Mara had decidedly shrugged it off as her overactive imagination.

She hadn't seen Luke since she'd stormed out of his office; she resolved the next time she saw him to apologize for her hasty conclusion about Rochelle.

Luke had received a comm-call from the Horns asking him to dinner on Benduday. He had readily accepted. He enjoyed their snarky company.

It bothered him that he hadn't seen anything of Mara since her hasty departure. He hated having a misunderstanding between the two of them.

Rochelle Lassiter had commed him that very morning saying she was leaving to spend time with her family, and he had wished her a safe trip and happy time reuniting with them.

Corran and Mirax, meanwhile, were getting dinner prepared. They shared lively glances with one another as Mirax set out the crystal glasses full of amber liqueur and tasty appetizers while Corran checked on the casserole and dessert pastries.

"You didn't tell Luke Mara was coming?" Mirax had asked after they'd issued Luke the invitation.

"Nope. I figured the surprise on their parts would spice up the evening." Corran had responded unashamedly.

Mirax had rolled her eyes and laughed.

If their plan worked, it would do more than that.

+++

One More Post to Go ... :D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Kahara, Jâd Sphera, brodiew and 5 others like this.
  16. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    What is their plan? Are they going to feed them food known to be an aphrodisiac, get them drunk and lock them in a room until those two kids come to their senses?

:p That just gave me a plot bunny. [face_mischief]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  17. mayo_durron_666

Nov 26, 2005
    Yes! [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] Loving this set up so much!

I can't wait to see how both Luke and Mara react to this meddling.. [face_tee_hee]

Nice update! ;)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh my goodness, but this story is such a refreshing breath of everything I adore about Legends! And now Corran and Mirax are in on it too??? You know I love a good matchmaker trope, and you are using that to spades and beyond here. What a fun response to the challenge this is so far. :D [face_love]

=P~ A sidepoint: you always know how to leave a reader hungry. Yum!!

[face_laugh] [face_rofl] [face_love]!!!!

Oh, these wily Corellians. [face_mischief] Corran is a good friend here, even with his trickster self showing its face. He's doing what he thinks is best for both of his friends, and, really, Mara is making it all too easy for him to interfere . . . :p

I loved how - though Coran and Mirax are prepared for some well meaning sneaky subterfuge - he had to stop and so bluntly spell it out for Mara here! She's so astute about so many things, until it comes to herself - and Luke! Corran has certainly given her quite a bit to think about! [face_thinking]

Aw, I appreciated this! Mara can be blunt, and she doesn't pull her punches, but she's not needlessly rude. I loved this note of worry and resolve to make things right with her friend, first and foremost. [face_love]

[face_laugh] [face_love] And then you have Luke, fretting on the opposite side of the spectrum! These two are sharing orbits, so to speak, but need to collide! Thankfully it seems their friends aren't going to let them wallow in oblivious denial here for as long as they did in canon. o_O :p

WILY OL' CORELLIAN!! Spice things up, indeed - and then some! [face_laugh] [face_rofl] [face_love]

Yep, I absolutely adore the track this story is on, and can't wait for more! Thanks for sharing. =D= [:D]

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    That's Corran and Mirax getting things set up with spicy things

20. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I love your witty writing and the way of mix couples into a single fanfic.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Four ...

As Mara exited the turbolift leading to the Horns' conapt on the 4th floor of the Arcania Towers, she saw Luke emerging from a car down the corridor.

"Mara, hello!" He said in unfeigned, unreserved pleasure. "I'm so glad I ran into you... I wanted to explain about Ms. Lassiter. I was giving her a spontaneous hug after hearing about her brother's prognosis."

Mara shrugged. "Corran set me straight on the whole business, rather confirmed what you said. Speaking of Corran, you didn't get an invitation to dinner, too?"

Luke smiled. "Sure did!"

Mara had a suspicion that the two of them getting invited to dinner wasn't exactly a coincidence; yet, she told herself it was best not to jump to conclusions. They were both friends of the Horns, after all. That said, she wouldn't be surprised if the two of them were up to something in particular.

As for Luke, he was having the same thoughts, and it frankly didn't bother him in the slightest. He wouldn't mind taking things with Mara to a whole new level, of more than friendship.

During the scrumptuous meal that followed, there was talk about the Rogues' mischievous pranks - Wes turning the spigots in the dining hall on to not dispense blue milk but Chandrillan mocaf or Hobbie serenading all the lady pilots with the song "I'm the One You've Been Waiting For."

Corran and Mirax had expected there to be awkwardness between Luke and Mara but there was only a gentle comfortable air of companionable snark, as usual.
    They must have cleared things up, Mirax thought with relief.

Over dessert of caremelized pastries, Luke brought up the recent escapades of his newest batch of students.
    He didn't, as Mara feared he might, pressure her into training, but frankly, it wasn't something she was as adverse to, as she used to be.

One of his newest recruits, Sevrina Bendal, a Noorian, was training under Kirana Ti, and was showing definite signs of a crush on Kyp Durron.
    This amused everyone but no one thought to question the lady's taste. It was exemplary.

Kyp was someone who'd been through more than his share of darkness, but it had honed him into a stronger, although often outspoken proponent of action.

"I appreciate that ..." Luke admitted. "I'd rather have an honest discussion with someone who is open to that than someone who just tamely follows along because I'm the "Master." He rolled his eyes. "That's one thing I appreciate about you, Mara, to be honest. You've never held back in telling me what you really think."

Mara laughed. "And I never will!"

After they bid the Horns good-bye and thanks, Luke and Mara stepped out into the hallway and Luke said: "I appreciate quite a lot about you, Mara. More so than I've dared tell you. That's why I was surprised you thought I might be interested in Rochelle Lassiter."

Mara flushed. "That idea bothered me more than I figured it should." She paused. "I still don't know why ..."

Luke grinned, a grin that was way too much like Solo's and leaned in to kiss her softly. It didn't stay soft or tentative. It became rather enthusiastic on both sides.

By the time they came up for air, they both had come to the realization of what the "why" might actually be ... The burgeoning of something deep, long-lasting, and unabashed.

I think I've found the love of my life ... Luke thought, I think she's been here all along.

Who'd've thought the one I've been snarking with and in reluctant alliances with all this time is the one I could spend forever with, at least entertain the thought of that? Mara thought dazedly.

It was quite the remarkable conclusion to a fun evening with friends.

Fini

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  22. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Who'd've thought the one I've been snarking with and in reluctant alliances with all this time is the one I could spend forever with, at least entertain the thought of that? Mara thought dazedy.

It was quite the remarkable conclusion to a fun evening with friends.

Such fun to read. As if @CaraJinn ´s relaxed beach mood elsewhere effected you and this fic somehow. ;)

But that is the nice mushy, fluffy way your stories go and this is why I love them so much. Even if there are problems, they sooner or later dissolve into colourful bubbles.

Kahara likes this.
  23. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    We need an epilogue! I love Luke and Mara when they first start to realize they love each other. Very nicely done!

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the end of this nice fluffy, funny, lovely piece. Luke and Mara together and now some more?

25. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Lovely wrap up, Nyota! I've missed stories like this. The Horns, Mara. Luke/Mara. It looks as though Corran was definitely the matchmaker in this story. spilling beans and not telling the whole truth about the dinner party certainly set Luke and Mara on a collision course of love. (I can't believe I just wrote that.) [face_love] or posted that emoji. ;)