main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lines / Sequences in the OT given new meaning after ROTS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by crouchingjedi1, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crouchingjedi1

crouchingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    Especially for those who have viewed all 6 films in sequence . . . what are the lines / sequences in the OT that take on greater significance after seeing ROTS complete the puzzle?

I'll start, even though haven't seen ROTS yet.

Yoda (ESB): Yes--rest. Forever sleep. Earned it I have.

2. ellison

ellison Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2005
    When Obi-Wan tells Luke that Darth Vader murders his father. In essence, that's what Yoda tells Obi-Wan in ROTS.

3. crouchingjedi1

Mar 17, 2005
    Or how about when Obi-Wan first sees Vader during their Death Star confrontation in ANH. Is that the first time he sees him since Mustafar? (other than Imperial tabloid pictures, of course)

4. Freak706

Freak706 Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    "For over a thousand generations the Jedi were guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy. Before the dark times... before the Empire."

Take a minute to look at how Obi-Wan 'spaces out' for a second, reminiscing of what transpired 19 years earlier. After seeing ROTS, I'm sure it'll be much more tragic.

5. WelshDrivaaar

WelshDrivaaar Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2004
    Yoda's "old friends, long gone" line in ESB.

Dude felt all his Jedi buddies get wiped out.

6. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    "Luke, do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor, or suffer your father's fate you will."

You realize that he isn't talking about physical power per se, but the seducing, mind-molesting aspect of Sidious' powers. Watching them all in a row, I got the feeling that Yoda somehow knew Anakin would take care of the Emperor when push came to shove, and all Luke had to do was hold his ground, and stay true to the light side... Something his father failed to do.

7. crouchingjedi1

Mar 17, 2005
    Vader's encounter with Luke on Endor.

"That name no longer has any meaning to me."

and

"You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my master."

8. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Vader watching Luke get fried at the end of ROTJ .. flipping once he realises that he can actually save him after being unable to save Padme..

9. David_Skywalker

David_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2005
    Vader watching Luke get fried at the end of ROTJ .. flipping once he realises that he can actually save him after being unable to save Padme..

Ah, I never thought of that!

And "You should not have come back" by Vader when seeing Obi-Wan in ANH. I haven't seen RotS yet and I'm anxious to find out what he means.

10. Carnotaur3

Carnotaur3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 21, 2004
    "Vader watching Luke get fried at the end of ROTJ .. flipping once he realises that he can actually save him after being unable to save Padme.. "

I had thought that the other day, good job!

Here's Anakin, still longing to bring back Padme, Palptine's promise to help him do it and he realizes as the emperor is frying Luke...

"My God, what am I doing? Padme is in my children. I love them!"

Kinda emotional when you think about it.

11. darthredrum

darthredrum Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2003
    "you could use a good kiss"

won't have any real meaning, but i love that line.

12. crouchingjedi1

Mar 17, 2005
    "You should not have come back" by Vader

I think he's saying that Obi-Wan should not have come out of exile.

I was thinking in ESB when Vader is kneeling to palps' hologram. I can feel him starting to try to protect Luke, similar to his bowing to Palpy in ROTS to save Padme.

(Vader in ESB):

Obi Wan can no longer help him.

He's just a boy. . .

Join me and we can end this destructive rule

13. NMWreckless

NMWreckless Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    'Youre fathers lightsaber'

14. Reboscale

Reboscale Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2005
    If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful then you can possibly imagine

Qui-Gon: "You will become more powerful then any Sith"

15. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    "When we last met, I was but the learner"

"Don't try it"
    "You underestimate my power!"

Nice to see Vader realised Obi-Wan was right ;)

16. MasterJed

MasterJed Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2003
    *"Luke, do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor, or suffer your father's fate you will."

You realize that he isn't talking about physical power per se, but the seducing, mind-molesting aspect of Sidious' powers. Watching them all in a row, I got the feeling that Yoda somehow knew Anakin would take care of the Emperor when push came to shove, and all Luke had to do was hold his ground, and stay true to the light side... Something his father failed to do. *

Good point. Obiwan wanted Luke to destroy Vader.
    Luke:I cannot kill my own father.
    Obiwan:Then the Emperor has already won.

Yoda wanted Luke to CONFRONT Vader in ROTJ. As if he realized that because Vader did not destroy Luke in the city in the clouds, a spark of Anakin still existed.

17. dr_funkenstein

dr_funkenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Not so much a line but a scene that's imbued with more meaning for me is in ESB when we see Vader with his helmet off in the hyperbaric chamber or whatever it is. To me that's pretty clearly Vader attempting to use the ability to sustain life - the ability that only Darth Plagueis knew.

Also the line "I must obey my master" I believe is linked to that, in that Vader's life is inextricably linked to the ability to the Plagueis technique; if he is ever to rid himself of his cursed suit, it will only be through the use of this technique - a technique that he and Sidious hadn't quite yet perfected.

18. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Another that line that made me think about events in ROTJ (I forget the exact wording), but when Palpatine said something along the lines of "He could stop those he cared about dying, but could not stop his own death", thats not it, but near enough. When you think about what Palpatine is saying there and then think forward to what Vader does in ROTJ when he saves Luke, it has more meaning.

19. jimboterrorist

jimboterrorist Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    when "Ben" Kenobi looks at R2 and says "funny,i don't seem to recall owning a droid" i believe now that its possible he is having a joke with R2, having never owned anything by virtue of being a jedi.

Also, you gotta love finding out that the genesis of both good and bad in the OT occurs simultaneously.I just thought that was so sweet

20. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Here's another one:

Yoda (ESB): "Strong am I with the force, but not that strong."

He's clearly rejecting the whole sith life extending business (assuming that he would've been aware of the "unnatural" aspects of the darkside, of course)

21. slack_almighty

slack_almighty Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    Actually what I liked was all the things that linked up with the OT, similar shots, similar situations, different context. Anakin's decision when Mace was facing down Palpy, compared to Palpy facing down Luke for example.

22. Kalor_Voe

Kalor_Voe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2000
    "I am a Jedi, like my father before me".

that has meaning to me now.

23. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    What about the fact that R2's memory wasn't wiped. He knows EVERYTHING that happened in the PT!

24. Buram

Buram Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2002
    yep, I started a thread a year or so ago saying that R2 wouldn't lose his memory!!!! It makes a lot more sense the way he leaves C3PO to go straight for OB1..

vindication baby!

25. crouchingjedi1

Mar 17, 2005
    Yoda (ESB): "Strong am I with the force, but not that strong."

He's clearly rejecting the whole sith life extending business (assuming that he would've been aware of the "unnatural" aspects of the darkside, of course)

Very nice.

I was thinking it was a good thing 3POs memory was wiped, otherwise the storytelling scene with the Ewoks on Endor would be really long

Wunna wunna nyub veechie wah podrace

*mimics podrace sound*

manu wanta fron Naboo

*mimics Jar Jar's okeeday*

chusa seepia toronto gosh geonosis

*mimics droid factory*

Meechro Anakin . . . tiglo lava

*mimics lava explosion with a faint I hate you*

. . .

see my point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.