main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

List three authors...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthBreezy, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Force Ghost star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Who's works you enjoy and why...

Try to avoid the very well known folks who have giant followings (Amsie, Lady Padme', Jedi Es, PLJ, Certain Mods ect... all great writers in their own right but I want to see "new names")*

I've limited it to THREE becuase that keeps a nice simple cap on things... (personaly, I believe that ANYONE who writes and is brave enough to post thier baby online deserves applause...) but to prevent a "gush fest" (even though many would be well deserved) try to keep them short too...

In no particular order:

Blind Man

Particularly for the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=5216694]The Vader Monologues[/link]

Often upped, sometimes updated.. you'll never see the OT again in the same light...

Quote:

The premise here is just what the title suggests--Darth Vader talking to himself. His two conflicted halves (Anakin/Vader) discussing this, that, and the other thing.

A: Any books?

V: No!

(pause)

A: Games?

V: NO! We don't have any cards, we don't have any books. No games, no puzzles, no holovids, no nothing. So just be quiet and let me meditate, all right? Can you do that?

A: Sure.

V: I'm serious. Not another word for the rest of this trip.

A: No problem. This is me, shutting up.

V: Good.

(pause)

A: Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall--

V: I'll kill you.

Darth Lex

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9550803&replies=7]One Choice[/link]

Quote:

The day would be a happy one, a night of celebration. All the more reason, he thought, to do what I?ve been putting off this month. To remember how close I came to losing all of this. Anakin flopped backwards onto his pillow. He closed his eyes and began to meditate about what he had done, a quarter century ago, that had made today possible.

This story hurts my heart.. it's a beautiful telling of what "might have been", and not being one for AU as a rule, the fact that it's a long time favorite of mine says a lot to me...

Geo3

Her epics are lovely and heartwrenching but her shorts are not to be triffled with,

I'll sight:
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9821603&start=10497731&search=my+parlor]Step into my Parlor[/link]

Quote:

Anakin dropped his eyes, feeling as he had so often before that the older man knew him almost as well as his Master did. The difference was that the Chancellor never judged him or lectured him, whereas nothing he did ever seemed to please Obi-Wan. Anakin decided to speak freely, if only to have the rare pleasure of being heard by a sympathetic ear.

Geo has the insight that can show us everything from the heart of Anakin to the slease that is Palpatine without turning either character (or any of those in between) into "cartoon" versions of themselves... What a gift...

There you go, three of at least 20 that I could name...

Next?

* And please don't feel you have to name someone who put you on their "three" list... it's not nessisarily your "top three"... Just three authors/stories you like... ;)

2. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    Wow, this is so so hard! There are so many wonderful fics out there! I tried not to show favoritism, so I chose all non-GF fics. These are some of my all time favorites:

Mira Terrik

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6543045&page=1]Interlude[/link]

Probably the single best Jaina/Jag fan work ever written. This is the fic that made me become a J/J shipper, hands down. You just can?t say enough great things about it. I just wish I could write like this! I?d put a quote, but I just can?t chose one that?s the best. The whole things is awesome.

Kettch_The_Jedi

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9740176&page=1]Tahiri?s Place (Featuring Wraith Squadron)[/link]

Probably the funniest thing I?ve read in a long time. It?s such a great fic! Here?s an excerpt:

?So?? Lii started. ?If you were stuck in a deserted but inescapable prison with one other person who would you choose??

?I hate questions that have no point.? Inyri said.

?NorJean Cofre.? Elassar quickly answered. ?Captain of an A-wing squadron.?

?Your significant other?? Taryn asked.

?No. I thought I had a chance but then she met that old Rogue pilot named Hobby and suddenly I was no longer a contender in the games.? Elassar answered.

?How about you, Inyri?? Lii asked.

?Look.? Inyri said, evading the question. ? We are here. And there is an officer waiting for us. This had better work.?

?Do you have a bad feeling about this?? Lii asked.

?I am a bad actor and I know nothing about wood carving.? Inyri replied. ?I have a bad knowing about this.?

Daughter_Of_Yubyub

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8265200&page=1]Not The World?s Greatest Babysitters[/link]

ROTFLMAO. Wedge has to babysit the 3 Solo kids, so he enlists help from Rogue Squadron and chaos ensues.

Excerpt:

Wes grinned and reached for one of the many Wedges. "Stop napping during mission briefings! That cloak is not part of the dress uniform! Couldn't you at least act fourteen or fifteen? Is that a games datapad?"

Jaina giggled. "He can't be as bad as Uncle Luke."

Wes shook his head. "You have no idea. The Ewoks must teach them both a lesson!"

"Is it just me or do these mostly look like Lieutenant Kettch?" Hobbie asked.

"I should hope," Wes snorted. "I had them special ordered."

Jaina carefully set a ring of Ewoks encircling the Luke Skywalker toy. Hobbie arranged rank upon rank of identical Wedge dolls on the march. Wes carefully leveled small plastic spears before setting the Ewok warriors in opposition to them. They worked quickly, since Wes wasn't sure how much longer the briefing room would be deserted. He hoped Wedge would be the first to come in. The display would be wasted on many others.

The three conspirators stepped back to admire their handiwork. It was certainly an impressive battle scene.

"Is it time for cookies now?" Jaina asked.

~Inyri

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    1. [link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=237868]Amidolee[/link]:

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=2927244&start=4386201]Where Destiny Leads[/link]

Amidolee has been absent from the boards for awhile, but her stories were always very well written.

Quote: Where Destiny Leads

Forward

It has been five years since Anakin Skywalker defeated Emperor Palpatine. Securing
    his position as leader of the galaxy has been shaky at the best of times, but through
    liberation and emancipation, he quickly gathered trust and loyalty from suffering
    worlds.

The Grand Moffs and Imperial Senate were more reluctant to swear their allegiance
    and acceptance of Skywalker?s leadership. Slowly, Skywalker won over much of the
    Senate, bringing forth the birth of the restored Republic. Despite the fractured
    condition of the galaxy and healing process, many Imperialists still hold the values of
    the Empire, causing multiple problems.

Former Queen Amidala of the Naboo ruled for four years as Vice-Chancellor beside
    her husband before elections for another Chancellor could commence. Bail Organa of
    Alderaan has brought forth more order and control over the struggling reborn
    Republic.

Amidolee is a great writer. Any of her stories are well worth the time to read. Especially if you enjoy reading about Obi-Wan. [face_love]

I'll add my last two when I can narrow my choices down to only three. ;)

4. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    This thread is such a great idea! There are so many good fics out there and sometimes this is the only way they can be found. Thanks, DB, for doing this community a real service!

lluminatrix

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10190229&page=1]Terra Incognito[/link]

A newcomer to the Boards, illuminatrix has surprised and delighted me with one of the most refreshing and fun things I have read. It is startlingly original, and yet true to the spirit of Star Wars. It's laugh-out-loud funny in places without being cavalier about any of our beloved characters - many of whom are in it. As a delightful change, the elegant and suave Sith Lord Arkadi Dooku appears in a leading role, and gets a run for his money from some unexpected visitors from another universe. and oh, yes - the Scots accents are authentic!

Here is an excerpt from the first chapter:

It was dark. It was gloomy. The abandoned structure in the sparsely populated area of Coruscant was a regular meeting place for two Dark Lords of the Sith. Scenes involving Sith will be sinister, gothic, over the top, and very difficult to take seriously. But that?s the Dark Side for you.

Darth Tyranus watched as his master, Sidious came toward him out of the shadows, bowing elegantly to the smaller robed figure. They fell into step beside each other, strolling along the vast dusty chamber.

?Greetings, Lord Tyranus,? Sidious began, ?I trust you sensed the great disurbance in the Force earlier today??

?Indeed, my Lord. I cannot discern it?s source, however.?

?A significant event occurred near Coruscant. Apparently, people from another universe have accidentally crossed over to visit us.?

Tyranus slowed down. Sidious stopped a few feet ahead. Without turning around, he said, ?One of these people was a very charming lady called Jadrith Magog-?

He waited as Tyranus digested this. ?Jadrith Magog is HERE??

Sidious chuckled, dry and nasty, ?Oh yes. Your past is returning to haunt you, my friend. And she is not alone. One of her companions is a young lady named Tiahn Magog. She?s thirty years old,? he gazed up at the ceiling, enjoying this immensely, ?and she seems to have great strength in the Force, too.?

Darth Tyranus, also known as Count Arkadi Dooku, stopped breathing. Sidious turned to him, grinning evilly inside his cowl. He was holding something out to him. Dooku managed to focus on it. It was a cigar.

?Congratulations, Lord Tyranus,? cackled Sidious, ?You are a father??

Darth_Lex

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=11087750&replies=3]A Destiny Renewed[/link]

Although relatively new to the boards, Darth Lex is a prolific writer who has already completed two long AU stories (one with alternate lighside and darkside endings!) I don't normally read fics that stray too far from the original characters or films, but his stories are a solid exception because he always manages to stay true to the spirit of Star Wars.

I've had the privilege of a sneak peak at his new story, and that's the one I'm going to recommend. It's an AU that allowed a lot of characters from the OT to live and moved them forward so that all my favorite characters from the OT and PT are together with a lot of really interesting new ones. The scope is huge, the plot is action-packed, and it promises to be a very good read indeed! The link above leads to the trailer.

Here is an except. I'm sorry it's so long but my difficulty in finding something shorter is an indication of the breadth and scope of this story.

Admiral Mirkalla stood at the tall and broad window of the conference room, arms crossed over his chest. Far below in the docking bay, the two maroon-clad Jedi were climbing into their X-Wings and the three naval officers were boarding their run-down and aging Corellian freighter.

He had to admit to himself that he was a bit reassured by the two brief meetings with the youngsters. He had never met any of them before, but by reputation he had been quite concerned.

He knew J

5. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    This was really hard, but I've picked out three of the authors floating around here that stand out in my mind.

Tahi:

One of my favorite fics of hers was [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10554990]Sweet Things[/link], an Anakin and Tahiri fic.

Tahiri watched as he pushed the cloth away further to reveal a slim bottle and two beakers. "Anakin Solo, are you planning on getting me tipsy?"

Anakin raised one dark eyebrow. "It wasn?t an obvious part of my intention. But I guess if it happens I?ll find a way of dealing with it."

Tahiri picked up the bottle and studied the label. "Ah," she said.

"My motives are honourable, you see." He grinned his lop-sided smile and pointed to the product name. "Sparkling pitaro juice. Note - alcohol free. Lando managed to get hold of some recently, and as it?s made in Iicini?ia and therefore fairly hard to get, he thought we might like some."

Jade_Max:

I?m a stickler for a good Jaina/Zekk fic, and she?s writen some great ones.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9469191]Play It By Ear[/link]

"I'm grimy already, sure you want to me holding me?"

"I plan on getting just as dirty," he informed her with a grin, "besides, I like holding you. You don't mind, do you?"

"Mind?" she curled closer, "I insist on it."

Healer Apprentice Lina:

She?s be working on another addition to Jedi Joon's series. Lina?s fic is, [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9984155&replies=173]Memento[/link].

?What is the Serian word for ?peace? is??

?Teshla,? answered Lewix, without a moment?s thought. He blinked; surprised that he was able to answer so readily.

Not pausing, An-Paj produced a flimsy that held several scrawled symbols on it. He handed the sheet over to Lewix. ?Please take a look at this. Can you tell me what it says??

?It?s Gungan. It?s their Laws written in their language,? replied Lewix. He handed the sheet back to An-Paj.

?If you flip the sheet over there is a series of mathematical and physics problems. Please complete as many as you can,? instructed the healer.

Lewix handed the sheet back to him with all the questions completed in five minutes. ?Huh....I?m pretty impressive,? remarked the dark-haired Jedi, wryly.

6. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Wow! I almost fell off my couch when I read what DarthBreezy wrote about my fic. (Giant followings?)

Takes two seconds to let newbies who are feeling discouraged know that my first fic had to be locked because of lack of interest...literally post after post placed up with NO reply! My second and third stories I spent a lot of time (and I mean multiple consecutive posts) upping and offering cookies for replies. And now, I feel like I've graduated or something...so don't lose heart! It just takes time and patience!

Anyway, onto people whose fics I like. I'm going to break the rules and name 4 people (in alphabetical order)

1)Gabri_Jade: (I know she has a fair number of readers, but she's a new author who I think is awesome!)

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10373133&start=10647426]Infinite Possibilities[/link]

Very well, then, if she didn't hate him, what did she feel? She laid her head back down and considered. On Myrkr, when all she'd wanted to do was slit his throat, he'd saved her life. How that had confused her. He'd risked his life for the woman who'd openly sworn to kill him. As he had on the Chimaera, rescuing Karrde. As he had on Wayland. Why? Why had he cared? Why had he trusted her like that? She thought she knew the answer to the first question. Skywalker cared about everyone. She'd seen that time and again by now. Mara laughed softly. It was almost a sickness with that one. If Luke stopped caring for others, he'd probably stop breathing, too. It was too integral a part of his personality.

Mara caught her breath suddenly, shocked. Luke? He was Luke, now? Just a slip, she thought reflexively, backing away from the frightening thought. She'd been in the Palace too long, been near Luke -- Skywalker, damn it! -- around his family and friends too often. Her subconscious mind had simply picked up on what she'd heard for three months. It didn't mean a thing.

It took several minutes for Mara to regain some measure of equilibrium, and with each minute that passed she grew more disgusted with herself. She, the Emperor's Hand, afraid of a name? She who had given orders to everyone from stormtroopers to Grand Moffs, she who had killed times without number without a twinge of fear, she who had never been afraid of the one man the entire galaxy had feared, shaken to the core by the idea of calling someone by his given name? The idea was laughable. Maybe the Empire and Emperor had not been what she'd believed, but she'd still survived more things in their service than most people could ever dream of; and she had her pride. Mara Jade did not run. She would not run now.

2)HandmaidenEirtae:

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10630907&start=10646533]In the Emperor's Service: Arden Lyn[/link]

The halls were practically deserted. Every once in a while Arden had to dispatch a guard, but more often they just shrank in fear from her. She didn?t bother to kill them. She didn?t have time; she needed to get out of there.

One of her boots fell apart as she ran; she kicked them both off and tore off her cloak. The weight of Ameesa?s lightsaber felt odd in her hand. She wished she had thought to take her own back from Tremayne, but that didn?t matter now. All that mattered was escape.

The Dark Side kept feeding her with adrenaline, and she sensed the four person guard long before she ever saw them. She could tell they were waiting to ambush her; word must have gotten around that there was a reckless Jedi escapee.

The guard suddenly appeared from around the corner, peppering the corridor with blaster fire. She was already one step ahead of them, deflecting the blaster fire and slicing through white body armor. Leaving their bodies behind, she thought snidely that this Emperor?s minions weren?t much of a match.

She came to a balcony and a wide, sweeping stair case. She leapt over the railing, not bothering with the steps, and used the Force to cushion her landing. At the other end of the polished foyer floor were large two-story glass do

7. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    A relatively new author who's caught my attention is Lady_Moonbeam. Here's a short except from her fic [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10644539] They will not Burn[/link]

Orrit had been very fond of her during all his childhood?she had found him curled up under an empty counter, and he had hugged her knee. Finding the ?l? sound hard to say, his little voice turned her name into ?Anna Face,? but she didn?t mind. As he grew older and more involved in the fantastic world depicted in the Archive?s stories, he?d asked her if she really liked her name.

Already holding his hand, she had replied with the simple image of crossed lines, her typical symbol for the negative. Orrit had tried to accustom her, years ago, the nods and headshakes of the galaxy, but she refused to learn. Her general thought, as he gathered, had been that if no one had the time to listen, she didn?t have the time to try.

?I could name you something else,? Orrit had said eagerly, with the name already in his mind. ?There was a legend I read. The heroine was the most beautiful woman in the worlds. They didn?t name her because she was too lovely for them to assign syllables, so they just called her Star-Gift, because she was not of any world they knew. And Glebia?s real, but I?ve never been there, so it?s the same, isn?t it? Do you like it??

Coota is another author who's rapidly become one of my favourites. Here's an excerpt from his OC fic [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10646367] "The Rise and Fall of Xim the Despot"[/link]

Canterra turned quickly to parry the attack of the second Vorn, who had moved in while she was busy with the first. A long metal cord shot out of his arm, and was only blocked by Yisa?s shield at the last moment. This did not prove to be very effective, however, as a wave of electricity shot through the cord and into her. She dropped back, staggering, and attempted to dodge another swing of the cord. This was difficult, however, in the narrow environment atop the war machine. The Ver?zal?at advanced with confidence, bringing about the cord for a third time, when dozens of bullets began slamming into his armor. He turned with surprise to see Sergeant Cor?ik falling from above. The Vorn Elite remembered Canterra too late as she plunged her blade into his neck. Cor?ik finished his landing by slamming the staggering Vorn off the machine.

?You must be getting old, ma?am; I didn?t think I?d have to help you against those two.?

?Shut up, Sergeant, or I?ll promote you to officer,? she grunted, disengaging her gauntlet blade and pulling out her force pike.

I don't know whom I should choose for my third author. I am following several stories, but most of these authors already have huge followings, such as Melyanna, Arldetta, and HaiGan, or else they've already been mentioned, like Tahi. I'll have to think about it and come back later.

Edit: Well, I've thought long and hard about it, and finally decided to showcase Alion Sangre and his fic [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6532360]Snow Job[/link]

The next card I looked at was the file on Alion Sangre. It really wasn?t much more than Sunnar had told me back in the Imperial Palace, but it did include a more detailed listing of his weapons, equipment, and known history. All it did was confirm to me that I should have brought bigger guns, an assault shuttle, an X-wing squadron, a couple of Jedi, a Special Forces detachment, and maybe a frigate to even things out. Just kidding. If I could have gotten my hands on all that, I would have stayed home and sent everybody else out to do this mission.

8. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Okay, here's my list.

geo3

Yeah, I know DB mentioned her already, but I don't care. Her insight into Anakin's soul is truly remarkable. That alone would make these two stories my favorites on the boards. But geo3 also does an unbelievably good job with Padme, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, and Sabe -- not to mention her wonderful original characters. If you don't read these stories, you're really missing out.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9521759&page=1]Children of Circumstance[/link] tells the story of Anakin and Padme's post-Geonosis trip from Coruscant to Naboo, ending with their secret marriage. The shocking twist at the end is fantastically creative and a perfect ending to the story. (This story is completed.)

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10432520&page=1]Winds of Change[/link] picks up where COC leaves off, and takes us further toward Anakin's inevitable fall. Here's an excerpt of what's in progress --

Anakin wondered where the hostility was coming from. For his part Lon and the others like him weren?t even a part of his everyday consciousness. All he wanted was to be left alone. Why was this fool focusing on him so intently?

He shook his head and made for the door again, only to be stopped by another shove.

?What is your problem?? Anakin was getting annoyed.

?You are.? Lon was talking straight into his face. ?You?re everybody?s problem. You don?t belong here any more. You walk around like you?re better than everyone else. You go off and break all the rules and they take you back and make special concessions for you. You?re not really part of the Temple, or the Order. What are you doing here, anyway??

?Why do you care?? Irritation was dissolving into something stronger. Something that was getting perilously close to being a feeling, and not a very nice one, at that.

?I care about being a Jedi. I care about the Jedi Order, and what it stands for. It really burns me that they took you back, and that they let you do whatever you want.?

Anakin suddenly realized that V?ar had stopped telling Lon to back off. She must feel the same way. So must a lot of people. He thought that he would very much like to do what he wanted, if only he could. It would most certainly not involve wasting his time with self-righteous Jedi Padawans.

?So,? Anakin said with darkness in his voice, ?shoving me around a practice room makes you feel better? By doing that you restore the purity of the Order? Get over yourself, Lon. Try to stop being pathetic.? The pleasant feelings of lightness he had experienced after his meditation session were long gone. His inner armor was in place, and polished, and ready.

As it turned out, it was the good Jedi Padawan who threw the first punch. So much for the purity of the Order. Lon slugged, Anakin blocked with his artificial arm, Lon?s wrist cracked against it, and Anakin picked him up by his tunic and threw him across the floor. All without the benefit of any Force involvement. The whole thing took seconds. Even V?ar couldn?t move fast enough to intervene.

The three Jedi Masters who had been attracted to the training room by the dark emotions that were roiling out of it saw only the last move. One of them was Obi-Wan.

stacysatrip

Her intra-AOTC "missing scene" vignettes are excellent. She's really captured and isolated the true nature of these characters.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10653673&start=10696697]Forbidden Union[/link] is a proposal viggie.

An ongoing collection is [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10743748&start=10747428]Conversations and Thoughts[/link]. Here's an excerpt --

The Senator unconsciously pulled her robe closer around her body as she took a seat on the other side of the room. She did not like the awkwardness of this situation, and mentally chastised herself for feeling so uncomfortable around Anakin. He was just Ani, after all, the kind brave little slave boy who had found his way into her affections all those years

9. Jedi_Alman

Jedi_Alman Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    _Tenel_Ka--I love her writing style. Probably my favorite writer on the boards.

Zara_Rose--Refreshing plotlines and excellent style.

Tahi--Captivating style and unique stories.

10. Jedi-Jae

Jedi-Jae Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2001
    In no particular order:

Darth Lothi

IMHO, the best writer of young Anakin Skywalker on the boards. He really gets inside the character's head and makes us sympathize with him without sugar-coating his flaws. He has several magnificent vignettes both on the boards and at the Archive. My only criticism of him - he doens't write enough. Check out The Other Woman at the Archive or Long Time Gone here on the boards for proof.

Mcily Nochi

A writer who works belies her young age. Her AU trilogy, beginning with And The Children Shall Lead is fantastic (yes, Emmy, I've been lurking ;) ), with a unique look at what might have been had Luke and Leia grown up together.

Darth_Tim

I don't know if Tim really falls into this category because he is building a good following with his great stories, but I have to mention him because I have so much GMTA with him. ;) He writes Palpatine better than anyone I've seen, and his stories are wonderfully complex, with plenty of political intrigue and great military action. Check out Duel of the Fates or Unforgiven to see what I mean.

11. JadeSaber

JadeSaber Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2002
    Oooh! Good topic, Breezy!

I agree whole heartedly with Jae about Darth Lothi and Mcily_Nochi.

Lothi's got Anakin down pat. No one write's him better. The best example of that is his fic The Cold Touch of Love, an AotC missing scene. It's truly beautiful.

Mcily's Legacy is an amazing take on how the Jedi first started. It's deep and well written, and as Jae said, belies her age.

My third pick for underrated authors would have to be Jedi-Jae herself. Her The Calm Before is an awesome look at an alternative Episode II. She and Darth Lothi also have A Knight of the Order which is an indepth look at Anakin... though it hasn't been updated in a while... ;)

12. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Oooh! Good topic, Breezy!

I agree whole heartedly with Jae about Darth Lothi and Mcily_Nochi.

"But that Tim guy, on the other hand..."

:D

Just messin with ya, Jadey.

But yes, Jae is very, very good. She writes the best action stuff I've seen. Her Ep 2 definitely deserves more readers than it has.

-Tim

13. JadeSaber

JadeSaber Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2002
    "But that Tim guy, on the other hand..."

LMAO!! Yeah, that Tim guy... geez! ;)

Seriously, Tim, even though you're just messin' with me, I'm sorry that it came out that way... But I am glad that you know that's not what I meant at all. *hugs* :)

14. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I have several I'm following right now:

Of course there's you, DB. I love "Come Undone."

Scruffy-looking. I'm now working on reading "Revenge of the Sith."

Inez_the _Swampgirl: She's got me hooked on "I'd do it all Again." It's like one of my soaps or something.

I love Miss Padme's house of A/P vignettes.

I also enjoyed Darth_Lex's "One Choice."

15. DarthCuppa

DarthCuppa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2002
    Now this is fun. There are so many stories here that it's great to share recommendations. I won't even try to quote stellar writers like JediGaladriel or AmiPadmé because they are so well-known, but it goes without saying I think they are terrific.

So here goes:

Frostfyre is the author of a terrific SW-Sherlock Holmes crossover, [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9906098]Elementary, My Dear Obi-Wan [/link], and she makes it work -- she has an ear for late-Victorian London and her Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan meet Sherlock/Watson story is a joy. Excerpt:
    [blockquote]Nightfall brought with it a cold, unpleasant drizzle that seemed to creep its way to the very bone. Autumn had arrived in London in full force. Holmes insisted that we wait until dark before venturing out to hunt informants. I was less than pleased at this?the slums of London are bad enough in daylight! It didn?t seem to bother Ben, however, and Holmes was as unruffled as ever.

Mrs. Hudson saw us off, a worried frown creasing her kindly features. She seemed to have attached herself to Ben, young as he was, as the perfect object for mothering. She was forever fussing over him or herding him off to the kitchen to ply him with food. As we left through the back door, she admonished us to be careful. ?Tisn?t safe, out there, Mr. Holmes. That Professor is a dangerous man?he?s sure t? have it in for you.?

?We?ll be careful, Mrs. Hudson,? he soothed her. ?Watson has his revolver??

She sniffed disdainfully. Our landlady had little liking for guns, I?d discovered. Most women, I?m sure, felt the same, but somehow I think it went even further with our landlady. From her various comments over the years, I?d formed the opinion that she felt they were supremely clumsy and inelegant. Had Mrs. Hudson lived in the sixteenth century, I suppose she would have been a rapier and main gauche sort of woman.

??and I?ve my own defenses. Ben?? Holmes glanced at the young man.

?Is well armed,? he replied, though the only thing I had seen him tuck beneath his coat was the strange cylinder he?d liberated from Holmes?s study. He still refused to tell Holmes exactly what it was. ?Though I hope it does not come to violence.?

?Well.? Mrs. Hudson folded her arms across her ample bosom. ?You just watch yourselves. I?ve got a bad feelin? about it.?

Holmes shot me an amused glance. ?We really must be going, Mrs. Hudson.?

?I?ll have some tea warming in the oven for whenever you get back.? With a final huff, she turned and went back into the warm kitchen.

It was a long, cold walk to the borders of the nearest slum. Holmes, despite his reassurances to Mrs. Hudson, seemed uneasy, and deemed taking a cab too great a risk. I wondered at this attitude, as he had received no further messages concerning Moriarty?s movements. Then I remembered what he had told me of Rat?s death, and realized that it may have disturbed Holmes more than he had been willing to let on before. I huddled into my coat, with chilly drizzle working its way past my upturned collar, and kept one rapidly numbing hand on the revolver resting in my pocket. The shadows around me seemed to crawl; the lamplighters had not lit many lamps on this wet night, and the spaces between the fitfully burning gaslamps were long. The footing was treacherous on the slick cobbles, and only very rarely did we see another living creature hurrying through the rain to somewhere warmer and dryer.
    ?You couldn?t have picked a more lovely night to do this, Holmes,? I groused. ?We?re all going to catch pneumonia.?

?Nonsense,? he replied. ?That?s what you?re for, Watson.?

?Part of being a good doctor, Holmes, involves preventing the illness in the first place.?

?You?re welcome to go back.?

I chose not to respond to that, instead turning my head to look at Ben. His shoulders were hunched against the cold, his hands buried in the pockets of the shabby overcoat Holmes had provided. As we passed a sullenly burning lamp, I could see that his features were strained

16. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Trickster_Jaina_Fel especially for [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9257025&start=9257138] Return of The Jedi[/link]
    She is, plainly and simply, my favorite writer. I got very hooked on her ROTJ, and I still am, despite how long it's been going on. Her fics make me laugh, while making me want to cry, while making me tense for more Jaina/Zekk interaction... not to mention her Kyp/OC relationship (which she is denying... I still think They'll end up together, in the end... :p ) I also love her other fic, Die Another Day. Don't be desturbed by her tendancy to kill off the entirety of the Jedi... her Angsty humor/tension thrives on seemingly hopeless settings.

DantanaSkywalker especially for her very short fic [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9732958] All At Once[/link]
    Dana writes the characters the way I think they are. She can make you feel what they are feeling, in addition to keeping them 'in character'... and if she thinks an action is out of character for someone, she tells you so, and gives an explanation (such as Zekk's actions in 'Aftershock'). Dana mixes Mush, Humor, and angst so amazingly that I would read her writing, no matter wat she wrote.

The_Jedi_Princess particularly [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10022379&page=1] Papa Don't Preach[/link]
    Just because I do not understand the title does not meanthat I am not obsessed with the fic.The fic made me fall out of my chair from hysterical laughter about 5 times more often than any other. Heck, I keel over laughing during or after nearly every post. Despite all this humore, 'Papa Don't Preach' still contains what is, to me, a believable plot. Her other full length fics, unfortunately, I am only part way through-I plan to read them over spring break- so I can't give you an approp[riate review of them, but, from what I've read in her Viggnetts and Papa Don't Preach, TJP is an extremely good writer.

17. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    Wonderful topic Breezy!

Sabe126
    Following up her original character Duty trilogy, Sabe begins another yet another gem. I have been priviledged to read sneak peeks of this new story over the last few months and I can't wait to see how she weaves this tale.
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10847747]The Lost Temple[/link]

Summary: Two years before the events of the Phantom Menace, Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi are sent to the planet of Anobis after the discovery of the ruins of an ancient Jedi Temple. For a thousand years the secrets of the Jedi have remained hidden?

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=3604701&page=13]Temple Trailer[/link]

ZaraValinor
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10675462&start=10852801]The Strength Inside of Me[/link]

This is a story I happened upon recently and in a word it is spellbinding. Zara crafts an entirely original story with this offering - a time travel where an Old Ben Kenobi comes face to face with himself as a much younger, idealistic padawan. This story is superb!

Obis-Grl
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10098461&start=10789132]The Winds of Fate[/link]

Summary: What if Papatine had a mistress, a woman whom truly and blindly loved him? What if after years of suffering on Coruscant, her heart starts to wander to another? What if this new love was a Jedi named Obi-Wan Kenobi?

18. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    More more more@!!

[face_love]

19. Diabla

Diabla Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2002
    Umm.. off the top of my head...

Hippety_Hopper 'cause she has a unique writting stlye

Jedi_Mastre_Kris Because she did the imposible, she got me liking Padmé and once more even Vader/Padmé stories [face_shocked]

and... Mystic_Ally and Mystryl for cool story consepts.

Oh and Tahiri for her hilarious story - Me, myself & I

-Dia

20. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    From the depths I call to thee....

:p

21. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Unnappreciated authors? I'd have to say DarthLothi, JadeSaber, and I'm sure I'll think of someone else at some point . . . ;)

And that's not just because they listed me, in case anyone thinks that. :)

22. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    OK--you have no idea how difficult this is...

My faves, after a lot of thinking:

DarthBreezy:

My favorites of hers:

The Bed Blanket Lawn Party: a happy story about Anakin and niece Pooja, very cute and sweet, very well-written, shows what a good father Anakin will/would be.

The Rocker Chair: another sweet, happy story about Anakin and Padme anticipating the birth of their children.

Anakin on Fatherhood: I've gotten inspired by this AU take on Anakin meeting Han for the first time. ROTFLMAO!

Falls the Shadow and Come Undone: It will make you cry. Such a well-written version of Episode III.

DarthLothi: Another good writer of Anakin...

The Other Woman: This fic will send chills up your spine. Lothi does a great job with showing what was probably going on inside Anakin's head when he turned.

Long Time Gone: Luke meeting Anakin/Vader again in ROTJ, from the POV of a stormtrooper. I cried.

The Cold Touch of Love: Great Anakin/Padme proposal fic, and another example of Lothi showing exactly what I believe Anakin was thinking in the scenes immediately following AOTC. Should have gotten its own mention in the archive instead of being included in an anthology, but that's a topic for another thread.

Jedi-Jae:

The Calm Before: Her Episode II speculation fic, one of the best I've read. It has everything in it--action, romance, humor, angst...and realism.

A Knight of the Order: A great Episode II speculation fic that Jae started with Lothi--finish it, you two, dammit. ;)

23. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I have added a third author to my post on page 1 of this thread: Leia_Naberrie. check it out!

And let's keep this thread going! There are so many good authors out there....

24. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Ohhhhh, this is NOT easy...

Okay, only one choice here is obvious. I would go as far as to call Mcily_Nochi not only the most underrated writer on the boards, but definitely one of the best.

I would also encourage anyone to read just about anything by Sache8. Binding Ties is a must for any Jacen fan, and she has a writing style that's very easy and fun to read.

Also, anyone would be well advised to read JadeSaber's "Confessions", it gives Anakin/Padmé something they were conspicuously lacking in the movie (depth, believeability, character, emotions... ;))

25. Drunk_on_Tang

Drunk_on_Tang Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    Ooo... very tough...

Jedi_Suzuran : I'd have to say that shes my favorite author on the boards... from her first fic ("Once Awake"), a series of vignettes, Suzuran's writing has been spectacular. Now the writer of two incredible Xan fics ("For My Soul Is Touched And I Am Hollow" and "In Love With The Night"), her style still keeps showing her incredible talent to show a the full range of the character's emotions in a way that is completely realistic.

Neon_Star : With a taste for the surreal, Neon writes many fics that don't get read cause they don't quite follow the canon star wars universe. Including strange things such as vampires, and even greek gods and goddesses, Neon's fics are incredible, but do not pick up readers due to her odd topics. Personally, I love them.

sabercrazy : Not having written many fics, saber is often thought of as only a reviewer. However, anyone who sees any of her short stories will see that when she eventually gets her long fic written, it will be incredible. Her short stories include "Shine Through Darkness", "Last Choice", and "It Happens To Everyone".

There be mine, although I could easily do many more...

~Dot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.