main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Forum -- New Prefixes / Filters Request

Discussion in 'Communications' started by TiniTinyTony , Apr 4, 2019.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    In the Lit Forum, there are currently only two options to choose from "Lit" (as default) or "<blank>".
    Would it be possible to get some new prefixes/filters?

Some suggestions I had in mind
    • Comics
    • Novels
    • Discussions
    • Legends

Thank you for the consideration.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, I requested the Legends tag before, it would really be convenient for me.

The comics/novels tags are a good idea, too, as at this point I have no interest in comics, so just being able to view novels would be good, too.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm a fan of this. The topics on the first page cycle pretty fast some days, so there's enough activity to warrant it. Maybe there should be a "sourcebook" (or "reference", although that might be confusing) category too?

I might even say a "TV Show" category, but there may be an argument against that because we have a whole forum. "Lit-TV?" Where we make literary-informed commentary regarding the TV shows, like, does Aunt Z conform or not to predefined expectations of a Gilliand? These are important discussions among our erudite clique.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've mentioned this thread in the Mod forum. Hopefully you'll get a response from the forum mods.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Given the amount of comics being released under Marvel, there probably would be value in a novels/comics/other-type tag breakdown. I would be concerned about splitting EU/NU with a Legends tag, though, as it could potentially have the effect of creating a divide within the forum community. In other words, using tags for media access/navigation as opposed to a potential sub-forum split.

It's certainly something to consider, though.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Personally, I'm not a novel reader, but those who love novels can come to the forum and filter on "novels" and hopefully find what they're looking for. As a side note, I'd also recommend that new released novels should get pinned for a week or two.

Now I am a comic book reader, and I'd love to see the current run of comics pinned during their active arc i.e. Aphra, Star Wars, Vader Dark Visions, but if I can filter by "comics" then I guess they don't need to be pinned. I know there are those that love comics, but wait until the trade to purchase/read so for that group I'm sure a comics filter would be great.

My intention is organization and ease of access for those to find what they care about. I don't want to split the novel and comic book readers just like I don't want to split the EU/NU people. I would appreciate a "Legends" filter because personally I don't really care about that material, but there are those that do. For example there is a thread titled
    "[Legends] What is the deal with the Ubiqtorate" so the poster was kind enough to add Legends in brackets so you know before clicking on it what it pertains to.

Then the "discussions" filter would be a catch all for TV, Movie, and other general discussions that don't fall into the above filters.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The additional catch is that we wouldn't be able to do both a canon split and a medium split without either double tagging everything or having two tags for each medium, at which point things start getting too cluttered/complex. And then there's the issue of cross-canon topics, which would theoretically be a third tier, etc, etc.

Choosing between the two, the media option would, IMO, be the most useful (even if it means I'll need to spend a couple hours retagging hundreds of comic threads- why do you hate me, Tony?! ;)).

8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    LOL, I don't hate you @The2ndQuest. I don't want to create work for you. (I hate bothering you and AdmiralNick22 to rename comic threads each week. I would do it myself if I could.)

But, I see what you're saying, you can't have "Comic" & "Canon" as well as "Comic" & "Legend". Also, eventually a "Comic" does become a "Trade Paperback" so what medium name do you go with since the comic threads are kind of organized by their eventual TPB?

I was just at Barnes and Nobles last night and I saw a book called "Maul: Lockdown" and I was momentarily intrigued. Then I saw that is was marked as Legends on the spine so I passed on it. Again, so offence to the people that love Legends, but I'm focused on canon stories as my personal preference. And I found that mark on the spine very useful.

I definitely agree I don't want everything labelled Canon verses Legends in Lit, so I guess I'd have to agree that I'd be leaning towards medium as well. It would be nice if people got into the habit of putting [Legends] in their thread title though if you're leaning away from a Legends tag.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If we were to expand the tags, then the Comics tag would cover that general medium- issues/TPBs/graphic novels/etc.

As you say, most of the recent comics are broken down into TPB/story arc groupings, more or less, so no need to filter them out or retag them after the fact.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    So it sounds like we're leaning towards more "media" related filters.

List so far:
    • Comics (graphic novels, trade paperbacks)
    • Books (novels, art of, visual dictionaries)
    Other suggestions:
    • Discussions (i.e. Limits of The Force; The inuniverse physics of Star Wars Spacetravel and moving/shooting planets across the galaxy)
    • Social (i.e. Do you like the new canon?; Change your avatar for Marvel; We Hav to Go on an Adventure with Jello)
    • Other Media (for Movie / TV / Video Game related discussion - i.e. Episode IX, Rian Johnson thread, Game of Thrones creators thread, The Mandalorian, Star Wars Resistance)
    • Magazines (not sure if this is needed or can be grouped with "Other media" or "Books")
    • Audio [books] (not sure if this is needed or can be grouped with "Other media" or "Books") and [audio] could be added in the title of the thread

EDIT: And as an aside, not to segregate, but in the interest of labelling and ease of navigation when finding a topic one would be potentially interested about, it would be great if Legend related threads had [Legend] in the title.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm generally a lumper and not a splitter, so I like these broad categories "Books", "Comics", and "Other Media". Too many categories means folks will likely goof it up.

In the last 5 years we've had very few magazine and audio book threads (just Dooku for the latter I believe), so they can probably be grouped under "Other". A case may be made to separate TV shows and films ("TV & Movies"?), but I'm not partial either way. Social and Discussions may overlap... although clearly there is a fine line. Social threads usually have something to do with Ackbar and/or Duros. Discussion threads usually have something to do with the Force and then everyone gets mad at each other. So there is a distinction... likely many general topics threads will be considered "Discussion."

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I say we limit Lit to just one tag: CT. Threads that interest me will be given the CT tag, all other threads will not be tagged. That way I can make all of the latter disappear with a click of my button.

Ideas for threads must be PM'd to me before the thread is created so I can dictate whether or not the thread is worthy of my tag.

13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Cool, sounds like we're on the same page with the new tags:
    • Comics
    • Books
    • Other Media
    In the JC Community Forum where general threads and social discussions are labelled as "JCC", I guess it would probably make sense to leave all the other threads labelled as "Lit" in the Literature Forum to serve the same purpose as threads would represent the Lit Community.

I welcome any thoughts from our honorable mods and I look forward to when we can expect the changes.
    @The2ndQuest @AdmiralNick22 @Sinrebirth @GrandAdmiralJello

Thank you.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Lit tags have been updated and put in the forum header for navigation. 2ndQuest is in the process of retagging the current threads. New tags are Reviews, Books, Comics, and A/V (audio/visual). Lit tag remains as does A&A (Authors and Artists) but it has changed color to Royal Blue.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, the Reviews tag has been set so only Mods can start new threads under that category (but users can still use nav menu to filter by that tag to find them more easily). We'll be working to post review threads for any recent books that lack a review thread over the next week or two and users can always request a thread for any missing titles (or request a retag for one overlooked) by PM'ing a Mod.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    This is likely not possible, but just checking: is there a way to include some sort of explanation of "A/V" and "A&A" somewhere? Like can it be written out as one of those little text box messages when you hover your pointer over the "A/V" and "A&A" tabs? Right now the "A/V" and "A&A" hover-over text is just the acronyms, but I bet that could be modified. That could help people who don't know what these terms mean, especially A&A which is somewhat ambiguous for new visitors post-Xenforo switch when the Authors&Artists board got shut down.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Ghost and TiniTinyTony like this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Someone asked about A/V in the Lit General Questions thread and they were pointed to this thread. A&A has actually been around for awhile - it just changed color. @The2ndQuest ?

Edit - found out how to do this as it's done in WNU for a couple of tags. I've updated A&A and A/V so it shows the description info. The others are self-explanatory. @Barriss_Coffee

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Thank you for all the hard work that went into this.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's a good detail. A/V is pretty straight forward but A&A is a little more obfuscated though hopefully self-explainatory once one clicks on the filter and sees what threads come up. But having the mouseover is a great solution without cluttering up the nav with long tags.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - when we discussed this in MS I didn't know how to do the mouseover info or I'd have mentioned it. Luckily there was an example in WNU.