main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Lit's Galactic Travel Guide and Planets discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , May 5, 2016.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    edit: Originally, these posts discussed IU art as seen in Disney merchandise. It was suggested to split these posts out of the Propaganda thread into its own thread about planets in Star Wars.

This is different than the astrography thread -- it's not about mapping, but visualizing and traveling to these planets, as suggested by the below-referenced travel images. Certain folks at Lit are well-known to have interests in certain planets, so this is a good place for them to share their thoughts and for all of us to muse on the varied and fascinating planet designs seen in the galaxy far far away

Original post below:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this isn't propaganda, but it's in-universe style art and it'll give us something to talk about for now. In addition to IU propaganda, I just like IU art in general -- like IU advertisements we see in the background of TCW and Rebels, or IU tourism posters (really, tourism posters are fun in real life as well as SW).

And I just saw a bunch were released last year as Disney pins, and they're fantastic. Fan made ones are great and all, but I love the official ones.

Spoiler tagging for size:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can guess which one is my favorite :p

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...okay this is weird, apparently Disney also had an EU-heavy set of pins a couple of years ago too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not to turn a thread about the propaganda book into a Disney pins thread, but the notion of Disney having a bunch of EU worlds on pins is flooring me right now. These are from 5 years ago -- pre-sale of Lucasfilm, and of course pre-reboot. So it's even crazier that Disney would bother with EU stuff, because back then they usually licensed the most mainstream stuff. Huh.

Empress Teta and Kuat and Berchest and many more? There were like 32 of these apparently. I like that the Kuat one even has the ring of KDY!

vncredleader, Gamiel, Valiowk and 6 others like this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe somebody at Disney was a fan of the EU?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The revived Star Tours had EU references on the planetary weather display, which I posted at the time -- primarily Zahn and KJA references -- but the merch is new to me. Pretty neat.

5. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Aye; I've taken on this love myself. Particularly 1930s posters from Imperial Airways and Pan Am.

Where's that "Typical Jello" gif hiding? :p

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    No Mon Cala? :(

--Adm. Nick

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that there were about 32 - I suspect Mon Cala was one.

After a bit of Googling, I get this:

[​IMG]

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Aw, that's a little disappointing. I figured Mon Cal would have cool details like Kuat!

What? I'm just saying, it's easily the best one by far.

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, a few lumpy Mon Cal cruisers would have been a nice touch!

--Adm. Nick

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Or even better, a floating city!

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  11. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    The one about history coming alive on Yavin IV sounds like the tagline for a Jurassic Park-esque movie.

'Course, JJK and JAT have been Legendified so no more Master Ikrit or Exar Kun, but still . . .

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Actually, I am not sure if it would be Coruscant or Naboo. You like both planets quite a bit.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Just on the tagline alone, I think that one is my second favorite. And the tagline is still accurate: the Massassi Temples are indeed still canon. So... history does come alive!

While I think the Naboo one is quite lovely, there's little question that Coruscant is the best one of these by far. It's true that I like both planets so it's usually more of a toss-up, but design-wise this has got to me my favorite Coruscant travel poster design. Most of the other ones are so uninspired.

Contessa and MercenaryAce like this.
  14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Interesting.

As the foremost expert on Coruscant, what would a tourist do there anyway, besides see the senate building, imperial palace, and jedi temple of course.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Are you joking? Even a casual glance through the Wook shows plenty of touristy things there. Heck, I could spend a few hours just riding around in a bus looking out the window.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Monument Plaza, the Manarai (restaurant), and Umatu alone would be a whole day of stuff to do.

Column Commons? Coco Town? Skydome Botanical Gardens? Hologram Fun Zone? The polar skiing resorts? The Galactic Museum? The Galaxies Opera? Then there's all the night life, all the restaurants -- imagine everything you could do at New York City, Paris, London, DC, LA, Shanghai, Rome -- any international city. Museums and galleries abound. Balls, dances, clubs, all of those things too.

Imagine the people watching. The cafés. You could hobknob with the rich, or go slumming. Or go visit the slums that slummers think are too slummy. There are academies and embassies. Parks and libraries.

I mean, use your imagination. Coruscant would have everything, even aside from the immense amount of actually named stuff it had in the EU.

17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    To clarify a bit, I was mostly thinking in terms of specific Canon and/or Legends examples - I mean, I knew that logically speaking there should be a lot of stuff, but overall a lot of Star Wars media focuses so much on a handful of areas for the government and a lot of more slum like areas that it can be a bit hard to imagine what life would like on a more day to day level.

Also, I did remember Monument plaza, plus a ski resort (or star wars equivalent thereof) and an artificial ocean/swimming pool but I thought Jello would appreciate a chance to wax lyrical about them.

In retrospect it was a bit of a foolish question though.

Contessa likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Suppose under normal circumstances I would have went on at length with a Coruscanti travelogue, but the idea that there wouldn't be anything to do on Coruscant left me aghast and appalled. :p

Contessa likes this.
  19. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Just passing through, but this should be its own thread. Really. Those couple little tourist things SW.com did a little while back for Jakku and all were cool, and a thread where a bunch of people give a whole IU tour of their favorite SW locale seems like it would be a fun read. Jello and Coruscant, Nick and Dac, Mia and Mandalore, etc etc... "Lit's Guide to the Galaxy" or something.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I can easily split the posts off into a thread actually -- there's probably plenty to talk about various planets, etc. Do folks agree?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  21. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Sounds good to me.

22. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I call Moraband!!! ;)

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Alright, let's do it! Why not? It's a good point that certain of us are very associated with certain SW planets and would happily take folks on a tour of the interesting sights, etc.

24. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I assumed that in universe the pins had been made post ROTJ and "history comes alive!" was referring to the fact that its the site of the historic Battle of Yavin and the Death Star's destruction.

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Interesting thread idea. It might be a fun way to revisit old sources and mention all the fun little places & locales of the world's we know best. I'm down to do this for Mon Cala at one point.

--Adm. Nick

Cantankerous Ordo and Contessa like this.