main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Live - Action Justice League Movie

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    Gonzo, it's funny you should say that, cuz I had made a joke before about Vincent Chase being Aquaman... Actually, I think it would be kinda cool if Adrien Grenier was Aquaman. Of course it would be even Cooler if Cameron was doing this thing. Then, at least, it would be done right.

D_M_S_L

2. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    also, if we get the George Miller of Mad Max and not Happy Feet, I'd be really happy.

And Biel as Wonder Woman, does not really bother me, I could live with it. Btw, who was Joss Whedon going with as Wonder Woman, before he left the project? I forgot who the main canditates were.

I haven't read a Justice League comic book since the Death of Superman era, gotta catch up on some of it.

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm hoping the whole thing falls apart and Bryan Singer gets back to Hollywood ASAP to save "Man of Steel."

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Basically everything from "Midsummer's Nightmare" to "The Lightning Saga". And no, Joss had no canidates.

5. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
  6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Good. No offense to her, but she wasn't right for that role.

7. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    "And no, Joss had no canidates."

Sinister, I believe he once said in an interview that he liked Sarah Michelle Geller for the role. This was back during the the "glory days" of Buffy and he pretty much wanted her for everything he was working on... It happens. Look at Burton and Depp or Scorsese an De Niro & DiCaprio, the only difference is that Depp, De Niro, and DiCaprio have talent and SMG doesn't.

D_M_S_L

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I would argue DeNiro. Actually, I would argue a number of "famous" actors who only seem to act the one, same part.
    Even Harrison Ford seems to have type-cast himself--he only seems to play the occasionally flawed-but-otherwise-righteous hero (Henry, RotJ, AirForce One, Clear&Present Danger, Patriot Games, ... even Indianna Jones). THe only time I've seen him step outside that was Hollywood Homocide, which was an awful movie.
    Now DiNero... He has the same squint and little head nod in every single movie. "Dis Guy, He's got tomales, comin afta my daughtah like dat." It's in almost every movie. There are a couple other actors (can't remember names) that have the same Italian Mobster type, even when they aren't playing mobsters. Some of them seem to thinks that Shouting = dramatic acting for scenes that are supposed to be tense.
    DiCaprio got backlash for being the pretty-boy in Titanic, but he can act.
    Depp's only mistake that I can think of was the Roman Polanski movie.

That said, even a one-note actor is better than a 0-note actor. (SMG, Freddie Prinze Jr, Keanu Reeves,...)

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Joss didn't get WW until after he had finished Buffy and Angel. This was back in 2005. He said that he wasn't going to go after one of the girls from his shows, at first. Then he said that if they auditioned and did well, then he might consider one of them. Fans tossed Gellar, Charisma Carpenter, Monica Baccren (sp) and Summer Glau around with Baccern being the fan favorite. Especially after she did Black Canary on JLU. But Whedon didn't commit himself as he still was trying to get through the script, which was taking time.

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    huh?

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    9th Gate.

Though anyone in a Roman Polanski movie, or even thinking of being in one, should be reminded why this person is not welcome in the United States.

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    okay, I'm blind. I looked at both's imdb pages before asking "huh?" and didn't spot it.

Can we think up roles for Depp and DiCaprio in JLA then? :p

13. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    Koohii, I think you misunderstood me or maybe I'm missing something. I wasn't saying that Depp, DiCaprio, and De Niro Go after the same roles. I was merely saying that certain directors stick to certain actors they know and enjoy working with. Depp and DiCaprio are two of my favorite actors. Yes, even in 9th Gate, the movie ain't that great, but he's good...

Sinister, I wasn't sure about the SMG thing, I just remember hearing about it, and now that you mention it, it probably was from some lame fan of Buffy. Still, I stand by my view that she sucks and wheddon probably wouldn't have done a good job with WW.

D_M_S_L

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Oh, I was just commenting that "talented" actors with big reps often don't deserve them.

Finally remembered what one of the others I couldn't stand was: Al Pacino.
    Shouting >< drama.

I would even go so far as to say that Pacino and DeNiro both suck as actors. OK, they might be a little better than SMG, but not much.

15. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I don't know why you have such hate for SMG, I'll admit she would have been totally wrong for Wonderwoman, but I thought she was very good in Buffy. That said I agree with you about Pacino totally overrated.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I wouldn't say it was a lame Buffy fan. I'd say that it was a number of fans for each woman that was speculated on. Whedon could've done well, but it just wasn't to be.

17. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    I'm starting to think that this flick has "doomed" written all over it. To even think of Biel to offer the WW role to was a sign of "Don't care who's best for the role, as long as they have a 'name'". This is bound to happen when they start rushing a movie into production. Thank god, she passed. But this could mean one of two things... A: She's dumb, and passed on the only role that was ever going to earn her a huge paycheck and ensure her a spin off and a chance at immortality...or...B: The script was so bad that even "I took a role in Stealth" Jessica Biel, had to pass it up.

Let's just say, I have a bad feeling about this...

D_M_S_L

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    From the Superman Homepage.

October 7, 2007: More Justice League Movie Details

Entertainment Weekly has published an article that reportedly reveals details about the script for the up-coming "Justice League" movie, with bios on each of the seven members of the team...

What we have seen remains faithful to the comic book that first appeared in 1960. All seven original members of the Justice League -- Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter -- are featured in an origins story about the superhero conglomerate. The plot revolves around villainous businessman Maxwell Lord and involves cyborgs called OMACs (One-Man Army Corps), who can take over humans and turn them into killing machines. There are epic battles between Superman and Batman, as well as Superman and Wonder Woman.

Superman - A.K.A. Clark Kent, news reporter. The morally upstanding Man of Steel battles Batman and has more to worry about than kryptonite.

Wonder Woman - A.K.A. Diana of Amazonian princess. Revered by the other supers for her beauty and ass-kicking abilities.

The Martian Manhunter - A.K.A. J'onn J'onzz, detective. His power to read minds comes in handy as the villain engages in some nifty mind control.

Green Lantern - A.K.A. John Stewart, architect. Designed the Hall of Justice. His emerald power ring shoots beams of energy.

Batman - A.K.A. Bruce Wayne. The most human in the bunch is mistrustful of others, which leads to quite a few problems for the clan.

Flash - A.K.A. Barry Allen, cop. The most enthusiastic superhero, Flash is happy just to be included, but his ravenous appetite leads to trouble.

Aquaman - A.K.A. Arthur, the Atlantean King. Not a fan of humans, Aquaman is more interested in helping his fellow heroes than lending a hand to land dwellers.

This issue of Entertainment Weekly is in stores now.

19. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Well from what I've read they haven't found a batman and so far no one is willing to play the bat because if they have a name (which is what WB is looking for) they don't want to step on a certain dark knights toes and they don't even want to check on a no name who may make the part better then a known because it is a no name.

So basicly they only want people who have already made a name for themselves which screams to me we need the fans of the actors to sale this move not the story.

20. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    Good post Sinister. I'm loving the idea of a Bats vs. Supes. If nothing else in this movie is cool, at least that should be.

Agreed, Sabath. Filling Batman's boots has always been a difficult task.

D_M_S_L

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It confirms that "The OMAC Project" and "Sacrifice" is being used, when citing that Superman fights both Batman and Wonder Woman. Since he did in both stories.

22. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Well a batman, superman fight would make the movie worth while I guess.

23. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Sounds like an interesting plot, if thats actually the one they go with.

24. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    The OMACs sound like they would make for a pretty good first JL movie. I for one don't want a Superman/Batman fight. We all know it can end in only 3 possible ways(and none of them good):

#1 Batman wins
    Result: Superman fans complain

#2 Superman wins
    Result: Batman fans complain

#3 The fight ends in some sort of tie
    Result: Batman and Superman fans complain

So why bother wasting time catering to a comic geek's wet dream when they could use it better for other action and/or plot development scenes?

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Here's the gist of what you need to know. I'll put spoiler tags for those who don't want to know. Back in 1988, John Byrne was finishing his two year, ninty issue run on the Superman books. Rebooting and reestablishing the character in the wake of "Crisis On Infinite Earths", which allowed for this. Into this came a storyline, which I won't go into all the way, suffice to say it involved Superman traveling to what's known as a pocket universe created by the Time Trapper. A regular villian of the Legion of Super-Heroes. He had an adventure there once before and now he was brought back to fight that world's General Zod, Quex-Ul and Faora from the Phantom Zone. They had been freed by that world's Lex Luthor in an attempt to find new heroes to replace Superboy, who had died during Clark's first adventure to the pocket universe. Because time had flowed differently, the Phantom Zoners had managed to destroy that world in a ten year period, which for Superman was only a few weeks on his world. Despite teaming with many heroes, Superman and the rest were no match for all three Kryptonians. A dying Lex Luthor revealed that there were two pieces of Kryptonite left. Enough to stop them and that he never used them, because he wanted to do it without exploiting their one weakness. Superman exposed the trio to Gold Kryptonite and then when they swore to regain their powers and destroy his world, Superman killed them with Green Kryptonite.

This lead to Clark having blackouts and eventually learning that he was operating as the vigilante known as Gangbuster. Afraid of what he could do, Superman went into a self-imposed exile into space. After a time and stay on Warworld, Superman was able to get over his guilt and move on. Shortly thereafter, Superman gave Batman the Kryptonite ring that had once belonged to Lex and told him to use it, should this happen again. The Kryptonite ring became a staple in the Superman and Batman books, over the years. In 2002, "Tower Of Babel" in the pages of JLA revealed that Batman had made numerous plans to nuteralize the other members of the JLA. Between Superman's previous mental issues and Green Lantern Hal Jordan becoming Parallax, as well as the Cyborg Superman being a villian, Batman wanted to protect the world from his teammates. Unfortunately, not only did he not tell them, but Ra's al Ghul got ahold of the plans and used them. Afterwards, the League voted to decide his fate, but he left. Though he would come back when they realized that they needed him.

2004 saw the release of "Identity Crisis", a DCU mini-series. In this story, Sue Dibny who was the wife of the Elongated Man, was brutally murdered in their own home. During a massive manhunt for the killer, the Flash Wally West and Green Lantern Kyle Rayner learned that Ralph had a suspect. Doctor Light. They learned that years earlier the heroes would from time to time wipe out the memories of the villians they fought, in order to protect the secret identities of the heroes. But one day Dr. Light found the JLA satalite and aboard it, was Sue Dibny, whom he would rape. Batman, Ralph, Hal Jordan, Barry Allen Flash, Green Arrow, the Atom, Hawkman, Black Canary and Zatanna returned in time to take Light down and contain him. Batman took the Dibnys back home, while the rest decided Light's fate. They voted to not only wipe his memories, but to use Zatanna's magic to mess with his brain. Making him more cowardly and weak, than he had ever been. A joke amongest the villian set. But just as the vote had been cast, Batman returned to deal with Light. Learning of this and threatening to bring Superman and the rest of the League in, the group of heroes voted to wipe ten minutes of Batman's life to protect their secret. This would eventually lead to strife and make it easier for the team to disban, later on.

After finding out that it was not Light, who also regained his memories, Green Arrow speculated to the two younger heroes, that Batman could regain his memories of what happened at any time. He's not stupid. This leads us to "Countd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.