main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valkor, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Nah... He should totally play Prince George. That would shock the people in the audience who aren't familiar with Blackadder. :D

Or he could introduce the show as Tony Murchison from ABOFAL, with wooden acting and carefully pronounced lines. That would be fun! :p

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I thought her last episode was the one before the election and she came back only as a guest last time. No big loss though, Amy Poheler was vastly overrated IMO as was Tina Fey

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    NEXT EPISODE
    SNL Sports Extra
    Airs: Sunday January 4, 2009

"A compilation of sports-related sketches past and present."

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE

Neil Patrick Harris/Taylor Swift

Airs: Saturday January 10, 2009

"This is the 12th live broadcast of the 34th season of SNL. Information is subject to change."

5. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I loved the Frost/Other People sketch, especially the parts with Paul Lynde and Fred "Rerun" Berry. Loved how they brought up why the "What's Happening" characters would be Doobie Brothers fans.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Neil Patrick Harris for SNL host for, like, forever

Jan 11, 2009, 10:35 AM | by Ken Tucker

Categories: Television

"All due respect to Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin, but Neil Patrick Harris' turn as Saturday Night Live host was one of the most sustained series of first-rate comic performances this venerable series has seen. Whether he was a thrusting, grinding exercise guru on a Today Show parody (and hats off to Kristen Wiig's fantastically detailed parody of Kathie Lee Gifford's twitchy tics) or nailing a David Frost impersonation in the Frost/Nixon skit (and congrats to Bill Hader on his David Bowie), Harris was quick, cutting, ruthless, and still charming."

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Last night's show was the best they've had ina very long time- only one sketch really bombed (the air traffic controller chicks). Even the "two first names" bit had a goot laugh with it's abrupt ending.

8. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I only saw the Broadway skit, but I loved it! Nice little inside joke of having Neil Patrick Harris play Mark, considering he did that for real either on tour or in New York, I believe.

9. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    They've had several excellent episodes this season. In fact, this has been one of the best SNL seasons in the 20 years I've been watching. They really seem to be committed to just letting their cast of amazingly talented comedians simply ply their craft on live TV. The same goes for the hosts. They've just been given much more freedom to simply act, rather than bend themselves into contrived skits and characters.

10. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    Wiig is very good.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wiig alternates between really annoying and really funny. It's always a funny voice with her, but when it works, it works.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    Rosario Dawson/Fleet Foxes
    Airs: Saturday January 17, 2009

"This is the 13th live broadcast of the 34th season of SNL. Information is subject to change."

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  14. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    So did Fleet Foxes just fall of the time-bus from 1968?

That was an all right episode. The Cheney skit at the beginning was more sad and true than funny, the digital short was odd, and the learning train was ambitious but a missed opportunity.

Gillie was good (Kristen Wiig is amazing). I wanna see where that goes in the future.

Weekend Update was hilarious as usual (again, Wiig was amazing).

Overall, the Aladdin and The View skits were the best.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd have to disagree- I think that's easily one of the worst shows they've done in years. Almost every skit fell flat or was outright annoying. The Gitmo ad was the only one truly funny, though the Aladdin one was good and the "as written by a 4th grade spanish language class" was clever enough of idea even if it wasn't outright funny. The Digital Short had a rare misfire but Weekend Update wasn't bad.

A few of the skits seemed like they had clever premises but they just couldn't get a funny execution down (the learning train). And, what I said earlier about Wiig pretty much stands- she alternates between really annoying and really funny. It's always a funny voice with her, but when it works, it works.

Unfortunately tonight she was really annoying and it didn't work- especially that new "I did it" girl character. Huge misfire there. However, her Weekend Update performance was commendable.

It's frustrating that SNL can go from one of it's best episodes in a long time, to one of it's worst immediately afterwards.

16. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    I'll admit that it reminded me of older episodes from much less funnier times; times when they seemed to be more concerned with clever ideas than comedic execution. The best shows are the ones where they let the actors ply their craft, rather than conform to the skit.

So, yeah, it definately wasn't as good as last week but it was far better than those dark days before Tina Fey.

And I totally forgot about the Gitmo going out of business skit and the "written by a 4th grade Spanish class" skit.

The "Spanish class" skit is a perfect example of being more concerned with clever ideas than comedic execution. On paper, I'll bet it looked brilliant; however, there's just no room for the actors to do anything other than read their cue cards.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I felt it was a rare example of how a skit can be good due to it's clever idea rather than it's comedic execution, but it's a fine line that's usually more luck than anything else, and in this case, the other similar skits couldn't do it.

They also gave Rosario nothing to do- they just brought her in to play some woman with some form of hispanic accent in ever skit she was in.

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE

Steve Martin/Jason Mraz

Airs: Saturday January 31, 2009

"This is the 14th live broadcast of the 34th season of SNL. Information is subject to change."

19. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    I get the feeling this is going to be a very average episode.

Steve Martin hasn't been funny or relevant in years, unless I'm forgetting something.

Tired old comedian usually equals tired old skits, again, unless I'm forgetting some spark of brilliance from the last year or so.

I hope I'm wrong though.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  21. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    Since when does that rag have a clue?

His Obama is excellent if you ask me.

It's certainly funnier that EW's article about how bad he is.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    7-9PM
    NBC, TV-14-DLV

Saturday Night Live: Short Films

"Andy Samberg hosts this special about the show's best shorts. As far as I can tell, this is a lose-lose situation. If they show ''D--- in a Box'' and ''J--- in My Pants'' during the family hour, they're baiting the FCC. If they don't, they're stupid."

23. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...okay, so i sat down already to watch this.. Had my DVR recording too..

Am i the only one that didn't get the Samberg show, but rather a Best of TRACEY MORGAN and WILL FERREL show??

Tracey MORGAN???

Someone is going to pay.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson/Ray LaMontagne
    Air date: Saturday March 7, 2009

This is 17th broadcast of Season 34. Information is subject to change.

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998