main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valkor, Oct 2, 2005.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This show was hit out the park- every sketch was at least amusing if not hilarious- especially the late skits like the Alien talkjshow and lighthouse.

I was a little dissapointed that they didn't go further with the Obama sketch though- it's long been obvious that The Rock looks and talks almost exactly like him, so it was alet down that they didn't play out the verbal similarities and instead wen with the stilted Hulk-talk.

2. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Interesting, I though it was a very average episode; however, I agree about the alien talk show and light house skits. They were definately the best of the night.

And about Ray LaMontagne, I've never seem anyone appear to have less fun on SNL than him. Not only did he seem like he might collapse from over-exertion after every line in both songs he sang, he didn't smile once, and during the goodbye during the credits, the only person he seemed to interact with was his drummer.

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LAST EPISODE
    Tracy Morgan/Kelly Clarkson
    Air date: Saturday March 14, 2009

"This is the 18th broadcast of season 34. Information is subject to change."

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    11:30PM-1AM
    NBC

Saturday Night Live

"Seth Rogen returns as SNL host alongside musical guest Phoenix. Start pot joke countdown...now."

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    11:30PM-1AM
    NBC

Saturday Night Live

"Zac Efron makes his hosting debut with musical guest Yeah Yeah Yeahs."

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998

'Saturday Night Live,' Zac Efron, and foot-rubbing

Apr 12, 2009, 08:04 AM | by Ken Tucker

"Playing to their strengths. That seemed to be the idea of this week's Saturday Night Live. Lotsa familiar characters, leading off with Kristen Wiig's Kathie Lee Gifford impersonation followed by Kristen Wiig's mischievous-scamp "Gilly" character. (Wiig and Jason Sudeikis starred in this week's funniest sketches. Ghost-presence Darrell Hammond showed up exactly once by my count -- as, more or less, a ghost, playing an unfrozen Walt Disney.)

Other returning-characters: Bill Hader and Fred Armisen as the "new Jersey gay couple" (funnier than it was written, because these guys put such commitment into what can be a trite idea), and Sudekis and Will Forte as Jon Bovi, the Bon Jovi "opposite band." I also laughed at Michaela Watkins' snide movie-review blogger Angie Tempura, both because the stereotype she's satirizing rings true and you've got admire the wide variety changes she can wring from the repeated phrase, "Oh, bitch, please!"

Host Zac Efron wasn't all that funny, but he was pleasant and up for just about anything, from the inevitable High School Musical parody to getting a foot-rub from Sudeikis in the designated late-in-the-show oddball-sketch. The thing is, both of those were really well-done. The HSM sketch had Efron's Troy coming back to high school to break it to the students that there's no singing in college. The snippets of HSM-style songcraft were impeccable song-crap. I think there wasn't more audience laughter for this well-written parody because it embodied an interestingly significant gap: while Efron was booked to attract a younger audience to SNL (and increase awareness of his upcoming 17 Again movie), a lot of the SNL audience simply doesn't know the High School Musical productions. The sketch also had a nice sting throughout, and Hammond-as-Walt-Disney-as-anti-Semite was more unexpected than the inevitable cryogenics jokes.

Musical guests the Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Liked 'em a lot. Go, Karen O.

Most valuable player award this night goes to Sudeikis, who not only appeared in a majority of scenes, but as an older brother teaching younger-bro Efron the fine points of foot-massage seduction, went the extra mile in actually trying to suck Efron's toes. That's earning your paycheck, buddy.

Did you watch? What sketches did you like? Or not like?"

8. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    I caught the band and they were playing a song from like 5 years ago. They book you on SNL and you don't have two songs worth of decent new material to promote?

9. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    I agree with the recap pretty much 100%. That was a strong episode. Even the worst skit of the night, the "GI takes train to WWI" skit, was something very goofy that I'd never seen before. Seriously, a GI's girlfriend who can, for no reason, run super fast so the awkward goodbye never has to end - who thinks of that stuff?

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The Best of Amy Poehler

This special showcases the most memorable sketches of Amy Poehler, who was a cast member from 2001 to 2008.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually really liked the GI skit until it ended up not really going anywhere- but the fast mother and lake bits were great.

I HATE the Gilly character and skits- they are the same thing over and over and the "sorry" punchline just isn't remotely humorous. When Keenan Thompson is the funniest thing in your skit, you have problems. The "horse with crazy eyes" bit was hilarious. The rest, not so much.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    imo that woman who plays gilly is probably the worst thing to ever happen to snl.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    She's actually pretty talented- but her hit/miss ratio is about 50/50. She's either hilarious or annoying, there's little inbetween.

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I've only seen sketches of her as Hilary Clinton...she was pretty good.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Gilly character we were referring to is played by Kristen Wiig.

I really liked Amy for the most part- though she was overused sometimes.

16. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    I love Gilly, but then, I pretty much think everything Kristen Wiig does is gold.

I was always a big fan of Amy Poehler as well. I was sorry to see her leave SNL.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next Episode

Justin Timberlake/Ciara

This is the 21st broadcast of the 34th season of SNL. Information is subject to change.
    Airs: 05/09/09

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    11:29PM-1AM
    NBC, TV-14

Season Finale
    Saturday Night Live

"Will Ferrell pimps Land of the Lost tonight. We need to see Kristen Wiig as Cha-Ka. Shouldn't be too hard: He's basically a hairier Kathie Lee."

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Timberlake's show was awesome ("Publicly, they'll claim to be virgins, but, privately? He hit that.").

Ferell's show tonight was funny and weirdly interesting (I'm guessing this Darrel Hammnd's final show? If so, a hell of a run, man), between Will playing on his ability to make people laugh even when playing a "serious" scene ("no laughter, please." [face_laugh] ) while also bringing up a mix of past roles and recent hit sketches (Celebrity Jeopardy!, Harry Carry, W, role-wise; variety hour, "people at the mic" for skits), as well as a massive amount of celeb and past-castmember cameos (Tom Hanks, Norm MacDonald, Anne Hathoway, Artie Lang, Paul Rudd, Maya Rudolph, Amy Poehler, etc).

One of the few original sketches was also quite good- the "Mark" TV bug newscaster skit, though I'm surprised there was no Digital Short. That big full-cast musical number was neat, too.

Sadly, as much as I loved Amy and Seth on Weekend Update, it's been a lot better lately since Seth has been running solo, so it sorta slipped back a bit with her coming back.

And, of course, Greenday is awesome, so no worries there.

20. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    Where was it that the song from the "Vietnam" sketch/musical number came from? Miss Saigon?

Just curious.

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9-11PM
    NBC, TV-14-DLV

Saturday Night Live: Just Shorts

"Andy Samberg hosts this compilation of short films, fake commercials, and animated pieces. In other words, everything you've been forwarded a thousand times from YouTube, plus real ads."

22. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    It was cool seeing Norm McDonald. He was just on Letterman recently, too. I didn't think the greatest hits stuff worked, though. Celebrity Jeopardy was a shambles. And they really need to dial down the Wiig.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Celebrity Jeopardy wasn't the best one they've done, but it wasn't terrible- they went a little overboard with the "mother" comments (but the repeated nature of it actually ended up making it funny, IMO) and they recycled the "Trebeck/Connery reconcile- fooled you!" bit, but the Catch These Men thing was hilarious (albeit the same style joke they've don often- the key, though, is how you don't see them coming) and it was very refreshing seeing Tom Hanks do comedy again- it's been far too long.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  25. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Yeah they really blew it with that. Both Watkins and Wilson were very funny. Abby Elliot isn't and Kristen Wiig has some very annoying characters