main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valkor, Oct 2, 2005.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not surprised at Wilson's firing, she didn't really have any characters or skits where she excelled or was notable in. Watkins, though, had a few good running characters are seemed a good balance to Wiig.

2. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    That's surprising. Watkins' work on the "4th hour of GMA" skits were gold. Also, her "bitch, please" Weekend Update character was a hilarious (and spot on) skewering of the internet's "snark-o-sphere."

I guess I'm less surprised by Casey Wilson getting the boot. I liked her (in part, because I have a serious thing for curvy women), but she really didn't have any memorable characters or reoccurring skits.

At least they replaced them with two women. I'm sure both of them will bring their own brand of gold to the show.

3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I feel bad for Casey Wilson, I think she never got a chance to truly shine. In the skits she did have more than two things to say in she was golden.

They should have fired Abby Elliot to keep either Watkins or WIlson

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    1:30PM-1AM
    NBC, TV-14

Season PremierePreview
    Saturday Night Live

"Host Megan Fox and musical guest U2 might be one of the sexiest pairings SNL has come up with in its 35 seasons. What would make it even better? If Kristen Wiig put on a mullet wig to play Michael Bay and got into a big ol' screaming match with Megan over the merits of Transformers. Ah, a girl can dream."

5. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I ******* LOVE YOU FOR THAT!

6. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    Apparently one of the new girls just dropped an F-bomb on live TV. Time for another FCC overreaction crackdown...

7. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007

They actually came close on the last skit, Mother Talks to Megan Fox (while you get ready). And in the parody where Optimus is Megan's roommate. Megan has always made fun of her success which I think sets her apart from others stars. She was funny tonight on SNL.

8. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    I'm not sure about the F-bomb. I thought I heard it, but you'd think the news would be all over it if it really happened. Maybe it's just wishful thinking combined with the 50 "freakings" a second coming out of her mouth. I will say that if she did say it, everyone (including the audience) showed remarkable restraint in their collective non-reaction to it.

And to Bono: A suit covered in laser pointers? Seriously? Is Spinal Tap giving you stage directions now?

Swing and a miss, Bono. Swing and a miss.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    She definitely said it. (warning, language- obviously)

Her expression and the brief hush from the audience further amplifies it.

10. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    Last night was weird for possible F-bombs. My wife and I watched Dollhouse on the DVR earlier in the night and I could have sworn I heard one there too.

When in happened later on SNL, I had serious deja vu. I made me question if I actually heard it, or if I just had secrets F-bombs on the brain.

I still give them credit for their restraint. I wonder if they instruct the audience and cast members on how to handle such an occurrence without chaos ensuing.

"Pretend like it didn't happen" was the last thing I expected to happen.

11. Boba Jr

Boba Jr Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 1998
    Thanks for the link, 2nd Quest. I'm on the West Coast so obviously we didn't get to hear what she actually said here.

12. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    The best aspect of the show was U2.

13. Boba Jr

Boba Jr Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 1998
    Am I the only one who liked all the groovy lights in the last performance (the very end of the show)? :)

14. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Actually, those lights were pretty cool.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Even though I don't like U2 (they're generally two notches above elevator music and 1 notch above Coldplay, and what good songs they do have are overplayed too much) the lights and stuff were a pretty neat effect. I understand people at SNL must be huge U2 fans but I wish they'd stop giving them 3 songs.

16. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    Since all the U2 discussion is down here, let me re-emphasize what I said earlier...

I don't hate U2, but I thought they were awfully noisy and self-indulgent. The Edge's guitar work was beautiful, but the rest was hard to take.

17. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    You're right about the laser pointers.

I like U2, so I wouldn't say they were too noisy.

Of course, I certainly agree about the Edge's guitar work.

18. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    During the first two performances, I though they were bullet casings. That would have been way cooler than laser pointers.

Someone needs to let Bono know that laser pointers went out of style 10 years ago.

I'm sorry that sentence rhymes. [face_blush]

19. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    [face_laugh]

Something tells me Bono just doesn't care when they went out of style.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    11:29PM-1AM
    NBC, TV-14

Saturday Night Live

"Host Ryan Reynolds' musical guest is Lady Gaga. So stock up, New York's Halloween costume stores and other purveyors of freakish garb."

21. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    This show was absolutely horrendous, just like every other episode for the last few years.

I'm embarrassed to say that I watched the first few skits. Purely wretched!

The ONE laugh it got out of me was caused by the digital short.

22. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    It's actually been way better the last few years (really since Tina Fey started as head writer) than most of the previous years. I've been watching since '88. You want to see bad? Go back and check out some episodes from the mid-90's.

The only problem I had with this past episode was Ryan Reynolds. They should have just let Lady Gaga host it since she was 10 times funnier than he was.

The cat-fight with Madonna was classic and completely out of left field.

23. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    Speaking as someone whose musical tastes are left back in the 70s and was far more a fan of say, Metallica and Pearljam in High School than, say, Michael Jackson or Madonna, I felt that Lady Gaga really put on a great musical act.

In fact, her latter performance had a certain unscripted and improvised quality that I don't think I've seen from any of the musical acts since the 1970s -- either because the scene there or in music was different then, or because it was an unproven venue in the first few years and nobody knew if the show would last so the musicians could afford to take it a lot less seriously.

The girl's into the wierd and kooky outfits but she's got more bite than what you'd think. I'm not saying that she's been worth waiting through the vapid landscape of the faux-rebels and glamor-hounds of Madonnas, Beyonces, Spearses, Agularas, Lavignes, Perrys, Cyruses and Swifts, but at least she's got guts to not only do new things, but try to THINK of new things and then try them.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This was a mixed episode- with Ryan Reynolds fantastic comedic abilities mostly wasted. I think that was the thing about this episode- I had high expectations for the episode, like if Baldwin or Walken were hosting, and they just didn't use him much at all.

The Digital Short and the Gaga/Samberg bit at the end of the episode were very good, and the PBS bit wasn't bad ("I grew up on the streets of Times Square" [face_laugh]).

Weekend Update was the best (between the Eorie thing :eek: [face_laugh] and "A producer for 48 hours was arrested thursday for attempting a stupid human trick.") though the Celebrity Family Feud was good- while it is obviously inspired by Celebrity Jeopardy, I think CFF has potential as a great running sketch idea. I think the only problem is they didn't go far enough with the sketch to make it great.

25. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    I agree. Lady Gaga was fantastic. She's got serious chops. I saw her on American Idol, so I wasn't entirely surprised, but I'm still impressed. It looked like her crazy costume during the second song gave her some trouble and led to the loose nature of the performance.