main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Livin' La Vita Loca: The PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Wan21, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Cross-generation multiplayer goes hand in hand with any serious discussion of backwards compatibility these days, IMO. Like, why worry about whether the PS5 can run your PS4 copy of Rocket League if you can't play multiplayer anymore? It's something they're smart to get on top of.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Life likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Sure, sure. But Playstation has also gotten to its dominant position right now through its exceptional single player games as well. Let multiplayer work and all that. But what I really care about is whether I'll be able to replay all my PS4 library on the PS5. So I don't have to keep a PS4 plugged in the way I had to for forever with PS3.

Considering they already announced that the current PSVR will be compatible with PS5, I am sure regular PS4 games will be as well.

Life, Ramza and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Come to think of it, isn't GTA V an example of a cross-generational game? The game is available for the PS3 as well as PS4; and unless I'm wrong, I thought you were able to play with PS3 gamers while on the PS4 version. I was able to keep my account when I transferred over to the newer version.

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, totally, but looking at it from Sony's perspective, Mark Cerny already said it was backwards compatible so in this interview they were elaborating on that point.

That account transfer was all Rockstar; this, by contrast, is Sony's backend.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm surprised the VR accessory is still making headlines. I thought I had read it hasn't been doing all that well lately.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, it's moved millions of units and they're still coming out with very good games for it. I know because I have one. The VR community is pretty dedicated actually. And regardless, Sony is dedicated to it. They are working likely on a new, cordless version of the PSVR.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I haven't bought into it because my PS4 console is in the bedroom and I have not much room for it.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I have it hooked to my old PS4 in the bedroom, but I have a wide open space next to my bed to use. Better than having it downstairs where
    1) the dog would chew on the cords
    2) I'd step on the dog while playing

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    A couple of weeks ago I was browsing around a local Best Buy store where a Sony spokesperson set up a demo of the VR. I watched as he helped a little girl put on the device and play this weird platform game where an alien goes around punching baddies and collecting items. It seemed a little awkward, but that may have been a product of the child herself not fully grasping the concept; although her dad didn't do all that much better lol.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I first tried it at a Best Buy when they first did the demos. It was ok but it's definitely better at home.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Speaking of Best Buy, lots of great games are currently on sale! I bolded/greened my favorites. If you haven't played them, I highly recommend them.

$10 each
    Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition
    Nioh
    The Last Guardian
    Bloodborne
    Farpoint
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection

Ratchet & Clank
    God of War III Remastered
    The Last of Us Remastered

Until Dawn
    LittleBigPlanet 3

$20
    Marvel's Spider-Man
    God of War
    & More

Haven't played Spider-Man, but maybe now is a good time to get it. I tried playing Zero Dawn twice and while it's visually beautiful, I can't get the combat system down, and the talking scenes take forever.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'd swear by Zero Dawn. Easily my favorite game from last year, bar none. I actually got LittleBigPlanet3 around year ago when it was free on PS Plus. I played it a little bit but just put it on the backburner after awhile.

solojones likes this.
  13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    PSN Summer Sale kicks off today, too. Should be packaged with E3 deals.

Looking for Ace Combat 7 to dip below that $40 range.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I picked up the Shadow of the Colossus remake for $13. I own most of the other games that would be worth getting :p

Life likes this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I accidentally opened the wrong deal menu and was like "Eighty different Star Ocean games? Is this a sale exclusively aimed at me, a person with intense self-loathing?"

But the actual sale is pretty good.

Life, tom, Chewgumma and 3 others like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I need to get around to opening that PS2 copy that's been sitting on my shelf one day. And play it, too. ;)

[​IMG]

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I grabbed Spider-man at Target for $20. Wife's going to NC next week so looking forward to playing it off and on during that time.

heels1785 likes this.
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I was going to start Spider-Man this weekend, but then I remembered the next chapter of the AC DLC just came out. Torment of Hades. It's a waaaay different look at the Greek afterlife, now being in the realm of Hades after the lovely look of Elysium. Liking it so far.

Spider-Man will have to wait just a bit longer.

darkspine10 and heels1785 like this.
  19. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Ah, cute fuzzy critters, the most constant, and heartbreaking hazard of silly gimmicks in gaming.

EDIT: Even though the kinect + cat video is fake, I'm going to remove it. It's too mean. Have a cute cat instead.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    PSVR has great games it's not a gimmick :(

21. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Have they mentioned anything about digital libraries porting over to PS5? Ive gone mostly digital for ps4 games and i doubt id get a ps5 close to launch without it.

22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Considering backwards compatibility has been confirmed, I'd guess PS4 digital should be fine. Well, you might have to download the games again, or transfer saves manually (unless you have PS+) but that should be a minor thing (especially with how large patches are these days).

I'm more curious about whether there will be any enhancements if you play a PS4 game on PS5 (which is how they've been trying to push the PS4 Pro and XBX). It would be convenient if they released a game on both the PS4 and 5 and we didn't have to buy it on both, I think they did that with a few titles back during the PS3 to 4 transition.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Honestly the biggest enhancement will just be the PS5’s ability to take full advantage of an SSD; that will do wonders for load times.

solojones likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If they make a VR Kingdom Hearts game where I am given the option to push Donald Duck into lava, I will not only agree with you that KH and VR are good investments, but I will also buy you cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory and have it delivered via Amazon drones.

25. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Yeah it’d be nice to be able to skip ps4 pro and get an enhanced version on PS5 out of the gate. Only reason the ps4 library porting was even a thought is my memory of Nintendo making every gen’s Virtual Console unusable next gen and have to rebuy (except switch i guess since its a sub?)

My 15840284 copies of Super Mario Bros on every system was expensive.