main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Livin' La Vita Loca: The PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Wan21, Feb 1, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I know I'm not getting a PS5 at least for another 5 years or so, but the PS4 selection and cross-gen releases will be more than enough for it to function as a secondary system to my Switch. I mean, so far, I've only really used it to watch Disney+ and download the 2 of the 3 pack-in games, TF2 and the Limbo/other game pack when they were on sale. I'm sure I'll actually play a game on the system at some point ;).

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's got one or two good games, I hear ;)

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Too many games on too many systems. Especially when I have the aforementioned Switch full of impulse sale purchases and I can only dig into a large-scale title one at a time.

Still, I intend to play TLOU before the TV series comes out. But GOW, JFO and probably Spider-Man will come first. TF2 will probably fill in for any FPS urges in between.

EDIT- Doesn't look like storage will be that much of an issue. Still have 600GB left after only using 200 thus far.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Hey question for anyone would getting an SSD for my base PS4 improve its load times?

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    A little bit but not enough to offset the cost disparity between a 2 TB hybrid and a 2 TB SSD. There’s a known issue with the actual wiring in the PS4 itself where you don’t see much of a speed benefit. Consequently a “smart” hybrid drive that can prioritize frequently used applications gives about the same speed boost as an SSD (and that’s nowhere near the speed boost you’d see from switching to SSD in a computer). The problem’s bad enough that external HDDs running USB 3.0 will actually load faster than anything internal, just because going over a USB 3.0 is faster than that damn PS4 SATA cable.

Tl;dr - don’t bother.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Jedi Ben and Chewgumma like this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    may psn games are cities: skylines and farming simulator 19

:p

Chewgumma and Ramza like this.
  7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008

heels1785 and Chewgumma like this.
  8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Don't knock Cities Skylines, that thing puts me into a deep trance when I play it.

heels1785 likes this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i love skylines on pc. i haven't tried any of the ported sims on ps4 - stellaris, skylines, kerbal, civ, etc. i like that they're bringing them over, though.

Chewgumma likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Looks like a couple more PS Plus freebies I may buy to keep in my library but won't be downloading anytime soon. I haven't even downloaded The Sims 4 yet.

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Bought Tales of Vespira. I will never get around to finishing all these PS4 games I’ve bought in since 2020 began.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, you'll finish that one.

13. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Debating whether to buy Death Stranding. Metal Gear Solid is my all time favourite video game...

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Do you like MGS because it got bat**** crazy on the storytelling front? Then it's probably worth your time. Do you like MGS because of the gameplay? Avoid.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'd say I like both things about MGS, it's what makes it unique.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So... it's a fancy "ONLY FOR SONY PLAYSTATION" logo. :p

Chewgumma likes this.
  19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Funny how about half those series are already concluded (Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted) but guess those are some of the biggest Playstation names. I had almost forgotten about LittleBigPlanet.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that logo animation is pretty shameless, but they at least admit it (I'm sure Sony Pictures would have done the same thing if Amazing Spider-Man 3 or Sinister Six had happened). Makes sense for them to streamline the branding for the first party development efforts, since that's become the platform's primary characteristic this generation.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Not like it hasn't been done before.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well they put the effort in to make all those great games, so I think they ought to brag about it :p

23. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Keeping my fingers crossed that Ratchet & Clank’s presence in that animation means Sony hasn’t completely forgotten about that franchise.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Xbox was in Phase 3 Marvel Studios Logo mode. Sony is only hitting Phase 2's logo. ;)

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Unreal 5 demo running in real time on PS5

=P~