main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Gaming Livin' La Vita Loca: The PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Wan21, Feb 1, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Barty Crouch Jr would be too obscure, but that's good to know.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I won't be watching the one for TLOU2 because I already have the game preordered and I don't want to see any more of it. I've had a hard enough time avoiding the spoilers!

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Force Ghost star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    As someone who read the spoilers, I'll nobly bite the bullet and watch it, and let you know if there's any PS5 news Ray. :p

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    solojones likes this.
  4. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Welp, no PS5 news. But there was someone in the extended gameplay footage playing Hotline Miami on a PS Vita.

Because the Vita is still alive! So alive that it survived the apocalypse!

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Nobody145 and solojones like this.
  5. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Next pay I'll pre-order both Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. I'm actually looking forward to Ghost more at this stage.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 6

Oct 28, 2014
    PS Plus games officially announced.

Great news for the 2 people in this forum who own a PS4 but don't have BF2 yet.

BigAl6ft6 and solojones like this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Jul 13, 2008
    As one of those two,

I WOULD RATHER HAVE NOTHING. :p

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I am the second of the two.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Out of curiosity, I took a look at the eight minute gameplay trailer released for The Last of Us Part II.

A couple of important points first:
    • Naughty Dog have carefully selected the sequence here, unless you consider knowing anything of the game a spoiler, I don't think there is anything there to worry about. I didn't really catch the audio because no subs on the clip, might be something there that, if subjected to extensive analysis, might give more away but I'm sceptical. I think they knew exactly what they were doing with this release.
    • Even so, what follows draws on the new footage but only talks in very general terms about it.
    Watching the new trailer did remind me of that weird tension that is in the first game, which also undermined it for me. On the one hand, this is a realistic world, you die easily, there are OHKO enemies - but on the other there are video game restraints as to what you can and cannot grab or carry. In a running fight with soldiers, I was really wanting Joel to grab a rifle off the corpse of a soldier but said rifle was not deemed interactive, so no go. The problem here is: The game is giving me mixed messages I can't reconcile and make sense of. In the couple of clicker sequences, I might be able to use the hearing to get some idea of positioning, but how far does 'their' hearing extend? Hard to tell, but in a stealth game that does matter quite a bit. Even more so when those enemies will OHKO you if you get it wrong.

It also reminded me of the other reason I have not gone back to the first game, which is in a way, testimony to how well executed it was. That reason being that it got in my head in a way that was quite unnerving. Now, that is what a horror game ought to do; it is a mark of success! Even so, there's creepy and there's too creepy. Even years later, via remaster, the first game is superbly atmospheric, a bit too much so? Er, yeah. I am pretty certain Resident Evil 2 would be the same or worse - brilliant execution, but that's just it.

Finally, which side of the realism divide do you come down on? Do you really want more realistic videogames? Videogames and realism have always had a weird relationship. For me I can't say I get the whole drive for realism in terms of gameplay, it is the lack of that which I enjoy in games. I crash a car at high speed, I'm instantly restored - I'm not dead, or in hospital, or being prosecuted for dangerous driving, or employing a defence lawyer who is arguing I was checking my eyesight. I mess up on a FPS and get shot to pieces, I get instant reincarnation to go seek revenge. The new sequence takes violence, something that videogames have rarely cared that much about, to new heights in terms of how it is depiction. It is very well done, very, very smart work, but is it something I want to play and experience? I think not. I'm wondering if Cyberpunk 2077 is going to take a similar line. How much realism is too much? Everyone's limit will be different.

Technically, it looks amazing - likely will be challenging the top contenders for audio-visual quality, with only PS5 games surpassing it, but maybe not for a while.

10. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007

*on a playstation system

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I do indeed already own Battlefront 2 from a sale where it was like $10. Of course I mostly bought it to play the campaign, but haven't done that so far.

12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Don't, it's pretty bad and, as far as I know, the broken AI was never fixed. All patches went into multiplayer.

Only do it if you're trophy hunting.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga/JCC Manager star 9 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i enjoyed it. only a few hours long, but the gameplay is good for your standard shooter and the story/characters were memorable and charming. some familiar faces, and they mix in the starfighter mode to keep things from getting stale.

i did not encounter any glitches upon playing it at launch.

14. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I wouldn't use characters plural myself, but I do admit to really liking Iden Versio.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mostly just want it for the story and the new character.

16. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 5

Sep 2, 2012
  17. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

So not the Wednesday, but still next week. Getting hype!

solojones likes this.
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Thursdaaaaay! Can't wait.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Jul 13, 2008
    Hey, I was right about the date being in flux. Neat.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So good it cures COVID

solojones likes this.
  21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  22. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It was close enough. Back in the box with you!

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
  24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    With everything else that's going on, its understandable. This has sure been one crazy year. With the way the future is looking I've gone from maybe trying to get money together for the PS5 to almost definitely not this year.

Three actually, I never bothered to buy either Battlefront game ever. Even with how cheap they often were, I had a long line of other games I'd rather spend my money on (as I dislike Disney-era Star Wars and EA), but can't beat free. Glad I held back until now.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Problem is Sony need to say something, unless this is setting up a new 2021 release date?