main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Livin' La Vita Loca: The PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Wan21, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I've no idea how you'd transfer PS1/PS2 saves but I'm sure someone, somewhere could crack it. The bigger challenge on that front is how to render PS1 / PS2 era games on HD / 4k TVs. If Sony crack that one...

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well if it's just about backwards compatibility; then I'd imagine not too many people would have a cow if the older games from that era are just played in their original 4:3 format (you could simply adjust the resolution on your TV when playing them. If I remember correctly, the PS1 games that were played on the PS2 were all in standard resolution.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  3. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The PS2 itself was also in standard resolution, and it was released before 16:9 ratio became standard, so many older PS2 games are in 4:3 as well. Towards the latter half of its life cycle, many games allowed you to choose aspect ratio.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I remember years ago, back when the PS3 was new and had backwards compatibility built-in, Sony sold this memory card reader that let you transfer PS1/PS2 saves to the PS3. Basically you just plugged in those old memory cards and the PS3 then set up a virtual memory card.

I'm not sure how many people would still buy something like that (I think I still have one lying around somewhere) but its possible.

Life likes this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The PS3 backwards capability was limited; you could play PS1 games fine, but you needed a special console unit to play PS2 games on it.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Huh? I actually had a 60GB fat PS3, it played PS2 games fine.

7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes, I think you're misinformed, Tano. The fat models could play PS2 games out of the box. The feature was removed in the subsequent Slim and Super Slim redesigns to save costs. I remember reading that the feature required a complete PS2 chip set built in to the unit, so removing it from the redesigns was likely a space-saving measure as well.

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  9. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Huzzah, sounds like the PS5 will have PS4 backwards compatibility built in. I'm not looking forward to the price announcement (my random guess is that it'll be around $400 again at least), but glad that means I don't need to have both my PS4 and PS5 plugged in at the same time.

Though it raises some questions about whether the upcoming PS4 games (Last of Us and Death Stranding at the very least) will just be moved to PS5 instead or could have extra PS5 features, but that's still far in the future.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    As far as the price is concerned, I'm not necessarily going to let it bother me. I bought my PS4 within a year or so of it's first release, with rewards money from my credit card. I'm intending on saving the rewards money for the new console when it's available. Considering it's backwards compatible of course, I don't necessarily have to be so patient as I was before in case there are no thrilling launch titles because I have plenty on PS4.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Depends on how the PS4 BC handles the massive data installs of the games - if they find a way to seriously compress them on the PS5, to the extent that the standard hard drive it comes with can easily take 50 PS4 games, then that's one hell of an incentive to buy.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well the new console is rumored to have a 2Tb hard drive straight out of the box, so the PS4 games plus their updates shouldn't be a problem transferring over cleanly. I have the Nyko Data Bank external HD for my PS4; and the 2Tb hard drive (desktop hard drive) is more than enough to hold everything.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I've a 2TB drive too and I've about 300GB left, which isn't that much. If they combine data compression - say similar but more than what the Wii U did with Wii data - with a 2TB drive as standard there's probably space enough for all PS4 and PS5 games.

The ace move would be to enable game data to store and run from external hard drive, which isn't currently possible with the PS4. Get that in place and you can hook up all the drives you need to run anything.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I thought you can run games off of external drives; up to 8Tb.
    https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/store/ps4-external-hdd/

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, interesting - maybe they changed it. In any case, that's really useful to know about - thanks.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I take back what I said before about the drive I have for my PS4; it's actually a 3Tb desktop hard drive loaded in the Nyko Data Bank. Definitely enough room for everything (I think I have a little over 1.4Tb used at this point.

17. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm more worried about how they mentioned they would be using SSDs to speed up the loading times. While SSD prices have dropped a lot over the years, they're still far more expensive than regular hard drives, at least if you want a lot of room. Like getting a 2 terabytes HD for $100 is easy but that's about a 500GB SSD. I think both the PS4 and XB1 can store games on external drives by, which has helped with how large games are these days (not to mention extra patches). For the next generation, I expect game data to be even larger.

Hopefully they got a good deal on SSDs in bulk or have figured out a data compression technique or will use a hybrid SSD/HD or something. Otherwise the price might be high. Its crazy they're talking about 8K already, but phrases like how it'll be appealing with its features at its price point makes it sound like it'll be high-ish. Well, $500 might be workable with a lot of good features, great games (including PS4 ones), just as long as they avoid Microsoft's public relations disaster.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I almost exclusively play story-driven single player games, so storage is not really a concern for me. I always only have a few games at a time on my rotation, and I delete them after I've completed the story. It's very rare that I want to replay a game after completing it, so I easily delete without giving it a second thought.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Unless developers get back in the habit of compressing, yeah, they probably will be.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But on the PS4 if you've purchased the games on PSN than they're still in your library; just that they're not taking up space and you may download them at any time. I've actually "purchased" a handful of PS Plus freebies over the last several months without actually downloading them.

21. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I know, that's what I meant. You probably don't need to have every game in your library available at all times. If you know which handful of games you feel like playing currently, you can keep a rotation of a few games at a time on your drive and switch it up as you complete them.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So an executive with Sony, on the heels of their absence from E3, has come out saying that

Whether it's backwards compatibility or the possibility of cross generational play, we'll be able to transition that community to next-gen," he said. "It won't be a binary choice about whether you have to be either on PlayStation 4 or next-gen to continue your friendship

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-more-cross-gen-backwards-compatibility-details/1100-6467385/

Um ok; could you get any more vague about the potential for the new PS5 being backwards compatible or not? If you took a poll of about 100K PS users, I'd guarantee you that a vast majority of them COULDN'T CARE LESS about being able to play with your friends who have either the PS4 or PS5 as opposed to the new console being backwards compatible. Being a "cross-generational" console will hardly sell any more than otherwise. On the other hand, if the console is backwards compatible right out of the box, only THAT would be the incentive needed for regular PS4 owners to go out and buy it immediately.

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think you're misunderstanding him, he's saying that in addition to backwards compatibility, games that are multiplayer on PS4 will be multiplayer on PS5 and it won't matter which system you're on when it comes to matchmaking (something the PS3 definitely could not do with the PS4).

Edit: Backwards compatibility was already confirmed in Mark Cerny's PS5 discussions with Wired, incidentally.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Life likes this.
  24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah he's just talking about multiplayer. I fully expect for single player that you'll also be able to play all your PS4 games on the PS5. It would be insane not to have that feature, and they don't have the 'weird architecture' excuse they had with PS3.

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well that's the only thing I really care about. If they want to market the new console, bank on BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY being the selling point; then you could tack on the notion of cross-platforming as a bonus.