main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Location Screentime infographics

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by lightspeedbear, Dec 16, 2021.

1. lightspeedbear

lightspeedbear Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2021
    Hi all,

I thought this might be of interest to the community... During the past year or so I've been working on a personal project, a set of infographics that illustrate exactly how long a particular place is on-screen for in the various films and tv series. The data is accurate to the second, and I think gives a decent feel for how each film is structured.

Here is the Skywalker Saga one but the full set is here, including Mando, Rebels, The Clone Wars etc.

Hope people find it of interest, any feedback very welcome!

[​IMG]

2. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    Really impressive work! Interesting to see how much less time was spent in space in the PT compared to both the OT and ST.
    Other things that stood out to me:
    - Wow TROS seems to be too split between different locations for my liking.
    - Even though Coruscant got a ton of screentime in the PT I never got tired of it and would still be happy to see more.
    - I enjoy how even TESB looks. Just another (Admittedly arbitrary) reason that it's the best movie!
    - I'm surprised that the Naboo scenes take up only 10% of AOTC, those romance scenes made it seem so much longer...
    - TPM makes a peace sign hehe

3. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    Impressive and beautiful.Thanks man.

4. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    No Coruscant at all in the ST. Pathetic.
    9.5 % Space in TROS..despite that big a$$ fleet..The ST never ceases to "amaze" me.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Awesome! Great work and thanks for sharing =D=[:D]

EDIT: You've really gone through all the movies and TV shows. How the heck did you manage that in just a "year or so"?!
    I'm impressed!

EDIT 2: I'm not surprised that there is so little space time in AOTC. The only major space event in that film is the asteroid chase, after all.

Cool! ...and that's why it's the best of the bunch [face_peace]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    lightspeedbear likes this.
  6. lightspeedbear

Dec 16, 2021
    Thanks very much for the kind words! Love the peace sign spot!

A lot of the TV shows tended to focus on one location per episode, which made it pretty easy. The Clone Wars for instance would often spend 4 episodes somewhere without cutting away. That one actually only took a few days to collect the data.

What took a relative while was A New Hope constantly jumping back and forth between the trench attack and Yavin 4. Oh and Rey/Kylo Ren's force connection would jump location every second or two so that was challenging, but I adore those scenes/TLJ in general so it was a labour of love :)

Count Yubnub, Riv_Shiel and Lulu Mars like this.
  7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Oh, I see! That's interesting.

8. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Wow, thank you!!! I love this! I really enjoy analyzing how films are structured, so this is terribly interesting!
    I will comment on it later, but for now, just let me say that this is a great showcase of the visual variety that Star Wars films have!
    Again, many thanks!

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Very interesting!

Interesting that ANH and TPM are so similar.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The Coruscant percentage of Sith is a big reason that one is up towards the top of my saga ranking.

11. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Interesting how The Phantom Menace makes a peace sign, and the last word of the film is "Peace!"

Count Yubnub and lightspeedbear like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This is really cool

13. lightspeedbear

Dec 16, 2021
    Thanks again everyone for the kind words.

I'm looking forward to doing one for The Book of Boba Fett in the coming months.

Nice! I'm similar in that the high percentage of "space" in TLJ could be a big reason it's one of my favourites. That and I seem to prefer the films with the fewest locations, so the original trilogy, TLJ and TPM.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    That is very impressive indeed. How were you able to measure screentime? Did you time it with a watch, or some other method?

15. lightspeedbear

Dec 16, 2021
    Thanks! Basically I scrub through the films/tv shows on Disney+, grabbing timecodes every time a scene switches location, and make a note of them in an Excel sheet, which I'd set up to calculate the seconds for me. Then it's just a bit of maths to get the percentages.

Some films like Solo are easier because it follows the cast linearly from place to place without cutting back and forth anywhere else. Others like the trench run in A New Hope would shift back to Yavin very often, so was more difficult.

16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Even more impressive.

17. jedisrm

jedisrm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I have seen character screentime broken down before, and this is interesting to see the planet location breakdown as well. Some interesting things to note.

Tatooine is among top 3 for 4 of the movies.
    TPM, AOTC, and TFA have the top 2 really close in screentime, with Tatooine and Naboo, Coruscant and Geonosis, and Starkiller Base and Space respectively.
    Almost half of screentime in ROTS was at Coruscant.
    Same for TLJ with Space.
    All 4 locations in ESB were close with each having 20% or more. Cloud City just beats out Hoth there.
    ROS had the most locations, with none having 25% screentime and only Exegol having over 20%.

Be interested to see overall outside of main saga looks like.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  19. lightspeedbear

Dec 16, 2021
    Already done! :D

[​IMG]
    Rogue One had a ton of locations but it was quite front heavy (there were five different places shown in the opening 15 minutes!). The rest of the film was paced more 'normally' for lack of a better word. Still, the final act was pretty time consuming to design, the scenes would transition between Scarif and the space battle constantly.

Solo was the easiest to design by far, it was very linear following the cast from place to place. I love that film though so any excuse to re-watch it is fine by me :)

There's also ones for Rebels, The Bad Batch, The Clone Wars, Mando, Visions and Resistance on my site if you're interested. (sorry to self promote!)

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Wow, that was quick! ;)

Wu Wei Jedi likes this.
  21. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Amazing stuff. Followed you on Twitter!!! Thanks for the work.