main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.0%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

40.0%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.0%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

40.0%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.0%
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lol I swear this isn't me.

“This is the greatest worst team of all time, this team is so stupid, we have no business being as good as we are, or as bad as we are.”

I wish the Macho Man Randy Savage was still alive to cut a promo on the Pistons for me.

Yeeeeeeaaah, **** your team, uh-huh! Coming into Little Caesar’s Arena, I don’t think so. Read it on the front of the jersey, Detroit, Michigan, MOTOR CITY MADNESS!

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Pistons best the Pelicans. No revenge for SVG, because he doesn’t deserve it. Triple double for Plumlee, the first of his career.

4. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Last night during the 3rd quarter of the OKC game one of OKC's commentator's said "Don't fear the deer, just play ball." And that's just what OKC did, but it was also game 6 of a road trip for Milwaukee so OKC did catch the deer at a good time.

Atlanta has been a mess lately, hopefully they are for one more game so the Knicks can win tonight. And the Wizards finally beat a team that wasn't the Nets yesterday, but they have a Western road trip coming up against mostly good teams, so I don't see that as much of a positive for them.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Leaks are coming out that Toronto is working on a trade with Cleveland to acquire Andre Drummond. While the "on paper" fit for Toronto seems obvious - Drummond would solidify their center position and dramatically improve their rebound rate, one of their biggest weaknesses - the the financial fit is hard to see. Toronto would move to taxpayer status as a result of the move, and would need to move 4-5 players in order to match salaries and not give up a core guy in doing so, which would mean paying out significant money in signing minimum players once over the tax line. Plus, they are hard capped this season, so the amount they can even sign players for even while paying the tax is incredibly limited. Of course, Cleveland could give up some draft capital to the Raptors to make it worthwhile, since it would push Cleveland under the tax line to do so. Still, I don't see the trade happening between those two teams.

That said, Drummond was out last night for "rest", which is a pretty clear sign he's about to be traded, once combined with the Toronto rumors. I think it's probably a case that Cleveland is trying to drive up the price on him, and wanting it to leak that Toronto is interested in order to help them do so. In fact, Toronto might be acquiring Javale McGee from Cleveland, and as part of the negotiating there, leaking to well-placed sources the Drummond interest. A McGee trade is very straightforward for the Raptors as far as matching salaries and not going into the tax.

Brooklyn is another team where there seems to be an obvious fit for Drummond, but they have no way to make the contracts match in a trade. And, I don't believe for a second that Drummond would negotiate a buy out to join the Nets, since he'd have to give up his Bird rights if he took a buy-out.

The Knicks have cap space to either use or rent in a trade, and with the Derrick Rose acquisition seem to view making the play-in tournament as a positive goal for the season. They could make a trade work nicely for the Cavs, and with a large trade exception coming back, Cleveland probably wouldn't ask for much draft capital (maybe just right to swap second rounders this year, with the Knicks owning the Pistons pick?). Still, it's a little hard to see Drummond to the Knicks, and they probably make more sense as a team that rents out cap space to make the trade happen and get Drummond elsewhere (San Antonio?) for some draft capital.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  6. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, ESPN is saying Drummond won't play as the Cavs attempt to trade him. Don't rule out Boston, who has a TPE the exact size of Drummond's contract.

The same is happening with Blake Griffin. Sitting until the Pistons get rid of him, one way or another. A buyout is likely, because ain't no one trading for him. I'm guessing they've already agreed to a buyout, and are just shopping for a Hail Mary they know they're not going to get.

Pistons are doing this because Blake's terrible, he's not going to get better, and he's just taking time away from Saddiq Bey and Sekou Doumbouya, who have both had their minutes ****ed with.

I think OKC playing without any of its point guards is a remarkable story on its own. SGA, George Hill, and Theo Maledon all out. This has forced Horford and Hamidou Diallo to try to make plays. They're not always winning but they always compete.

Runjedirun likes this.
  7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    LloydChristmas likes this.
  8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I don't know how long it'll last but as of this comment the Knicks have the #6 seed.

9. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    The Knicks play Orlando on Wednesday if they win it will be 4 in a row. I don't believe the Knicks have won 4 in a row since '12-'13. Also fans are coming back to the Garden next week. Just a handful, but still fans!
    I don't know what's going on in OKC, but every time I turn a game on they have the minimum 8 players to work with. And they stay in every game.

heels1785 likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's all because of Quickley.

Or so I choose to believe.

11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    DarthTunick and Juliet316 like this.
  12. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Damian Lillard is...he's just a bad man, man.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OMG Clutch Terry, at the half and the final.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    was a tough loss after playing a scrappy game without steph. gg tracy.

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

A better/closer game than Thursday‘s mess against the Nets; I mean getting a steal off the inbound pass, only to miss the following shot? [face_plain]. Signs of trouble, even if/when AD returns in a month.

16. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Ok I hope you guys don't shred me, but should I be ashamed that even though I was born in New York and have been a resident since 2009 uninterrupted, I have never cared for the Knicks :p ? I grew up at a different place in the 90s, so I have always been a Chicago Bulls 1990s fan first and foremost, but since then I have come to appreciate all (or most of) the great players and teams that have appeared throughout these last 25 years (except for any LeBron team).

Best teams I have watched and supported for the title in the equivalent years:

Spurs on and off throughout the 2000s and first half of 2010s
    Celtics 2007 - 2010 cause of Rey Allen mostly, but also Garnett and Pierce, one of the best Big 3 teams
    Blazers 2013 - ? and until Dame retires, though I liked them for Aldridge, McCollum and many more that have left now
    2011 Mavericks, one of my favorite stories ever, and teams. I just love Nowitzki but that whole roster was great, soft spot for JJ Barea too
    Oklahoma City Thunder 2010 - 2014 especially when they had KD, Westbrook Ibaka and Harden together
    Golden State Warriors 2012 - ? , until Steph Curry retires. The roster with Curry, Klay, Iggy and Draymond without KD is my favorite.
    Chicago Bulls 2008-2013 until Derrick Rose got injured =( What a disappointment.
    Bucks 2015 - ? for obvious reasons though they're not playing good basketball since 2 years ago

One of my favorite characters in the game right now, lots of respect. I really hope he never leaves Portland and even if he doesn't win a title, he will always be one of the best point guards to play the game. Impressive, impressive player.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  17. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Well I have always lived in the DC suburbs and I have never cared for the Wizards so, no big deal. But the teams you do like besides the Thunder have never been teams I like. I tried so hard to like Milwaukee these past several years, but I don't like their local commentators. I have a league pass, so I can watch local broadcasts of any team and the teams I gravitate towards A) have a player that stands out to me whom I enjoy watching and B) has good commentators. So I will still watch the Thunder even though they are not the same without Westbrook. I like Atlanta because Trae Young, I'll catch the Suns when I can (because Chris Paul) but they are mostly on too late for me and I have watched the Knicks since I was in high school, when I discovered basketball. Jordan was huge then and I never liked him. So yea, most basketball fans think I'm nuts. How can you watch half as much basketball as I do, and not really respect Michael Jordan? I can't honestly answer that, except to say he wasn't on my team.

However, here come the Wizards (if only they didn't have to play the Lakers, the Clippers and the Nuggets in their next 3 consecutive games). But they just beat the Trail Blazers on the west coast. If Westbrook can make something happen for the Wizards I will definitely start paying attention to them. By his stats for the last two games it looks like he's finally starting to make it work. Don't get me started on this Beal nonsense. I have been to a dozen Wizards games in the last several years and I have never been impressed by him. Who voted on all stars this year? I'll admit I was too busy to care. I am much more a fan of a player than a team. Except the Knicks, they were my first love and I will always follow them.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  18. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    @DarthFixxxer Want to be clear I liked that post for the Dame comment and not the LeBron hate, which makes me sad that you can't appreciate him :p

@anakinfansince1983 idk what it's like to stare at for hours, but those uniforms + that court are pretty dope. Also lol @ Draymond & the Warriors

(That said he had some solid recent comments re: players being dragged while wanting a change of scenery while organizations tend not to be for wanting to trade them-- a real double standard when it comes to concepts of loyalty & effort)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I had no idea Fixxxer was a heels sock

20. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I would like to think my opinion about him is more nuanced than that. I acknowledge he is one of the top 10 players to ever play the sport. Maybe top 5 by the time he is done. Maybe. I also acknowledge how dominant he is as a player. Every team that has him in the roster, automatically becomes a contender, though there is a lot to be said about the East when he was in the East, and how in the West he wouldn't have had 8 straight finals with the same teams (Heat & Cavs). But credit where credit is due. Even if the East was much weaker, he DID make it to the finals 8 consecutive times.

Having said that, he is one of the greatest ever, but he is also overrated in my opinion. When some people take it for granted that he is only behind MJ (and some people not even....) and forget about Kareem, Magic, Larry Bird and Kobe, I roll my eyes a little bit. I am not saying that maybe when all is said and done he won't be considered better than some of them at least, but the idea that he had surpassed them when he only had 2 championships and multiple losses in Finals is absurd to me.

As for his basketball.... I am just not a great fan of that style. That's why I wouldn't say that players like Ben Simmons or Giannis are among my favorite. I am in awe when I see players like Steph and Dame. And Derrick Rose of the old. And Luka Doncic. I will think of more. I am not hating on Lebron, I am just not impressed with him as much either, and I don't think I am obligated to :p But I won't lie, I don't want him to get another ring. I am tired of the media in that department. He got enough.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the goat debate is so subjective, and there are like 8-10 guys that you could make the argument for. so if you personally have lebron outside of your top 5 i can't really tell you that you're wrong, but if you don't think there's a goat argument to be made for lebron i do think you're wrong there.

22. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I generally put LeBron above Kobe, about the same level as MJ, Bird, Magic, and below Kareem and Chamberlain

23. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I just looked up the standings for the Hawks. How they can have such talent and not have a winning record is a disappointment.

In other words, standard expectation for an Atlanta based team

Runjedirun likes this.
  24. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    The Hawks have been a major disappointment. They started out hot, but it did not last.

25. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    They still don’t play any defense and their offense isn’t quite as good as you might think. I’ve been taking the I’ll Believe It When I See It stance with them for years now and I’ve yet to see it.

I hate Trae Young. He’s now my most hated player in the NBA. He gets the cheapest fouls in the NBA. He throws his body into people (which is supposed to be an offensive foul now, even Harden doesn’t get those calls anymore), bounces off, and throws himself to the floor as he throws up a shot, all the contact is minor and initiated by him, and it’s all exaggerated. It’s the cheapest **** in the NBA. It’s all fake. He’s not out there playing basketball, he’s out there hunting fouls the whole time. He’s the new James Harden.