main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London on the cheap

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by DarthBreezy, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm comming home to London and draging along Anakin_girl who has never been. Any advice on how to 'eat cheap' in London?

2. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    What sort of food do you like to eat? :)

Edit: had a quick sort through some of the links I have. Most are hard to tell how much they will cost unless you can find the menu but one site I have gives the average price per person it will cost in the restaurant if that is any help :)

What are of London are you two staying in? :)

3. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Well, I'm a semi vegetarian (hands off my fish and chips!!! Any good real Chippies outside of the East End?) So no Pork, Beef or Fowl (Eggs and the like are alright). Anakingirl is veggy freindly but not nearly as limited as I am. I found a place for 24 quid a night (single ensuites) in Padddington (which works out great as we can take the Heathrow express to and from the Airport).

We'll be arriving late on the 9th of April and stopping for a little over a week.

4. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I see, I'll go through see if I can find something.

You know I moved back home to London in June and I haven't been to a chip shop yet, shocking I know :p

I am in Germany until Monday the 12th but if you wanna meet up some point before you head back just let me know :)

http://www.londoneats.com/

and

http://www.a-london-guide.co.uk

Are two links I found. Only had a quick look through so not sure how good they are, one website that is advertised all over the place here is http://www.londontown.com which is normally good :)

I think alot of places cater for both vegetarians and meat eaters now, especially being in the city :)

5. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    Well, I'm a semi vegetarian hands off my fish and chips!!!

<Vegetarian rant> I'm sorry, but there's no such thing as a SEMI vegetarian... fish ain't vegetables, you are just someone who doesn't eat RED meat... that's all! It's like me saying I'm a SEMI smoker because I only smoke lights... it just ain't happening and you only confuse people who think Vegetarians now eat fish which annoys us greatly!</Vegetarian rant>

6. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Sorry, doesn't wash... If you smoke you smoke. Some veggys don't eat 'red meat'/fowel ect but eat eggs and drink milk. So I'm 'veggy light'... It's easier than just saying I'm an overtly picky eater.

But all that aside, I am looking for helpfull advice on where to eat cheap. For me, Burger/Sausage carts are not an option, but good pub grub is...

Best 'cheap meal' I've ever had was in York... a baked potato with baked beans and mushrooms... That's the funny thing... in the US people don't utalise mushies enough!!!

7. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    wetherspoons are normally cheap and can get a selection of two meals for £6, they are all over the place as well

8. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    Sorry, doesn't wash... If you smoke you smoke. Some veggys don't eat 'red meat'/fowel ect but eat eggs and drink milk. So I'm 'veggy light'... It's easier than just saying I'm an overtly picky eater.

I don't smoke either I was making a point.

Yes Ovolacto Vegetarians eat eggs, drink milk etc, it's Vegans that don't eat eggs, drink milk etc.

It's just something that really makes my blood boil, what's wrong with just saying "I don't eat red meat"?! If you eat chicken or fish you are NOT 'Vegetarian', 'Semi Vegetarian' or any other 'Vegetarian' related label you people come up with.

Sorry to seem annoyed about this but you have NO idea how annoying it is to have to keep explaining why Joe Bloggs down the road is a vegetarian who eats chicken and fish so why don't I!

9. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Stormtrooper_Fan: Get over yourself.

Did you come in here just to harass Breezy? What do you care whether she calls herself a vegetarian or not? Hell, she could eat red meat and call herself a vegetarian, and that would make her a liar, but it would also be none of your business.

So she's a pescatarian, or a semi-vegetarian. Why do you care?

BTW--I'm a semi-smoker. I only smoke lights and I don't smoke very many. ;)

Jeannette: Thanks for your help. :) PM one of us if you'd like to meet up.

10. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    *bites toung*

Right, you've made your point in defining what YOU consider what a true and proper vegatarian is. I have enough problems with people not understanding that things like 'chicken base' and 'beef extract' are NOT 'acceptable'. (This is REALLY a problem in the US.. things are 'labled' vegatarian but have animal extract...)

ANYWAY... I ususally don't spend a lot of time in London proper when I travel to England, so any advice is welcome.

11. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Calm down, and if you want to discuss how you label yourselves when it comes to eating, do it in a nice and civilised manner. :)

12. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Tracy I am sending you a message, as I say I don't get back from Düsseldorf until the 12th but anytime after that is cool for me :)

13. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    J- I hope you don't want paying for this work lol :p :p

14. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Well someone has to do it Yosh ;)

15. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    That's true :p