main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Long Beach Fans

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by J-327, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediGoodness

JediGoodness Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    A Long Beach get-together would have to go down at Amazing Comics, the finest comic book store in all southern california. :)

2. DEWGOD01

DEWGOD01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    I would have to argue with the greatest comic book store in the world. They might always have the comics on time and the newest figures (man, I love my Space Ghost figures) but the guys who work there aren't the friendliest. I would give my frank opinion but I don't want to offend anyone who knows them or is friends with them. I vist them frequently and never get anymore then a nod of the head. I have yet for any of them to even say hello or anything when I walk in. Now I understand they don't adhere to any customer service standards as a Suncoast (which also seems to be losing the "friendly" touch) or a Wal-Mart where you are almost required to say hello to everyone but a hello when I walk in the door would be a nice touch. Maybe I'm being picky but if I spending upwards of $30.00 a trip to your store every two weeks if not more you'd think you'd make a bit of an effort to be nice. :::gets off his soapbox::: sides.. I don't think they have the space to hold a large meeting that I think one like this would be. But, then again I can't really think of anywhere else we could have it. :\ I really need to stop writing late at night.

3. pivy

pivy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    Is Amazing Comics the one in Los Altos (near Bellflower & Stearns)? I haven't been there in ages.
    There used to be a god store over in the vicinity of Carson & Lakewood (on norse, i think) but I can;t remember the name of it and I'm not even sure it's still there.
    Man, I feel old. :)

4. DEWGOD01

Mar 30, 2002
    Yes...the one and only...and yes the god store is still there too...kinda close...next to the bike shop. Don't feel old... I'm sure it was open before you knew it was there...or maybe not... heh

5. pivy

May 12, 2002
    Yeah, I'm sure it was open long before I was around... I'm not THAT old (it just feels that way sometimes. :))
    Although the other day I was reminiscing about a game shop that used to be at 7th & Bellflower where it meets PCH...I can't think of any other gaming stores nearby. Anyone know of any?

6. ajthelegend

ajthelegend Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2002
    You guys ever thought about getting a Long Beach Chapter started???? I stay right next to the Long Beach Town Center and would love to meet w/other fans.... By the way Amazing Comics would be a great place to meet. It is a great place....

7. J-327

J-327 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 11, 1999
    Don't feel badly, Pivy. You cannot possibly be as old as I am.

I am so pleased that this thread took off. I guess we've all established that Edwards at Carson Towne Center is a bummer. It's not too bad in the early afternoon/late morning on weekdays, but most respectable people are working then, I suppose.

We could take over a coffee house or something. Or maybe we should just go see the movie, maybe meet up at Marina Pacifica. We could hang out at the tables in front of the juice place and then go watch our movie with "like-minded" folks.

Just a thought.

8. ajthelegend

ajthelegend Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2002
    Coffee and Star Wars who could ask for anything more haha

9. pivy

May 12, 2002
    To be honest, I'm not really looking to get involved in anything "official"...
    Which is not to say that if you all start some sort of official fan force meeting group that I wouldn't perticipate, but I don't want to start it, run it, be the secretary, representative or even all-around gopher and mud-sweeper. :)
    What I am interested in is meeting new people, esp. ones with similar interests, and having fun. So if anyone's interested in that, then I'm game, too.

10. J-327

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes. None of that crap with secretaries and the like. Why not just have an event and meet up? If it goes well, we'll post another.
    Nice, friendly and simple.

11. Esioneht

Esioneht Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    That sounds like a good plan - anyone care to suggest a date/time/location to get the ball rolling?

12. BabyPadme

BabyPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2002
    Hi...ummm...well i live in Houston, Tx but will be in Cali for the summer. Would like to meet some starwars fans. I hear you guys are wanting to meet. Cools...maybe ill be intown. I was born in Cali but moved to the Texas a few years ago. If you guys are planning on meeting between June 28 - July 9th....then ill be there. My boyfriend PolloDiablo was the one that got me into starwars....so he will be there too. Please let me know what you guys are doing.
    Our Houston Chapter is about to begin....im running for Secretary...hehe....i know you guys said you didnt want all that...which is understandable...i just want to be apart of this somehow. :D well, please keep me posted if you guys are planning on a get together.
    Laters!

13. pivy

May 12, 2002
    So I noticed that as soon as were started talking about actually meeting, a lot of people hushed up... :)
    Seriously, I'm sure a lot of people had finals (giving or taking :)) and it was a holiday weekend and all...
    I've racked my brain to come up with a lightweight, casual meeting place and the only thing I've got so far is portfolio Coffeehouse, on the corner of Junipero & 4th. It's laid back, they have coffee & some snacks and it's very conducive to just hanging out and talking. Anyone interested in grabbing a cup of coffee...?

14. J-327

Aug 11, 1999
    I'm game. And I'm sure my brother will be up for it as well.

15. DEWGOD01

Mar 30, 2002
    Can I bring my droid? Or will I have to leave him outside? With that being said...is it safe for him to stay out by himself? <wink> Sounds like a plan. Do we have a date or time frame picked out yet?

16. pivy

May 12, 2002
    They're pretty open-minded. I'm sure they serve droids, but if they don't, we can sit outside. :)

17. solosprincess

solosprincess Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    Hey, I'm in Santa Monica but can I crash? There really isn't much going on around these parts.....

18. DEWGOD01

Mar 30, 2002
    If you don't mind the drive and we actually get around to planning something I'm sure you would be more then welcome. You might have to have your own table though, if it's not too much trouble. lol

19. MasterPulp

MasterPulp Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 17, 2002
    Is this starting to feel like a blind date to anybody else? I swear, my palms are sweating, and I think I just got a pimple...(he jokes)

I suggest we adjust our strategy to true Blind Date style for this to happen. How about moving the meeting to either a restaurant or a showing of AOTC (as someone else suggested); that would help minimize uncomfortable conversation in the unlikely event that we don't all hit it off. We wouldn't need to socialize at all at the movies, and at a restaurant we'd at least have food. The problem with a restaurant may be deciding on what restaurant. I think a coffee-shop may be too light-fare to provide a good distraction from conversation.

20. JediGoodness

JediGoodness Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    Hey all...for all of you that read the Long Beach Press Telegram. You might have noticed in the U section on Friday the "U Be The Critic" part. Well, I wrote a little rating for AOTC and they printed it! I'm Daniel Pearson...I wrote "A graciously accepted addition to the Star Wars saga" and gave it four stars. :) It was pretty exciting.

21. pivy

May 12, 2002
    Hey, I read that!

22. LuminariUnduli

LuminariUnduli Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    This Long Beach gathering sounds good to me - I am going to be involved in the Official LA Chapter... however Long Beach is a helluva lot closer to home! ;)
    I've been to Portfolio Coffeehouse... quaint little spot ...
    I'm not into the setting of dates & stuff either, but if we can agree on it - I would do my best to be there!! :D

*** If anyone IS interested in simply joining of the LA Chapter, see other Thread for details ***
    We're having our first meeting this Wedesday at Universal CityWalk at 6:30pm

23. cloneddarklord

cloneddarklord Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    Here is one other Long Beach fan thanks to AJ the Legend!! I am game for a group in Long Beach!! I will be at the City Walk tonight!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.