main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Look as Good You Will Not, Hmm? -- The Yoda Discussion Thread <~~> New Topic 9/24!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Drabbo_Fett, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    Welcome to the discussion thread for everyone's favorite small, green 900-year-old. But enough about me; we're here to talk about Yoda. :p

The first topic: Yoda's youth. What was he like before he hit the century mark?

Y'know, this could be the thread's first character challenge. In the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/19105770]Yoda Challenge Thread[/link], post a story or vignette set during Yoda's first 100 years.

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Yay! [face_dancing] You actually started it! :D

As for his youth... man one has to wonder for sure! 800+ years in the past...wow how was the Republic like then? Probably not as corrupt as it was TPM.

I always thought Yoda as a quiet and 'absorber' of knowledge type. Though who never knows...maybe Yoda in his young'un days could have been a party animal! Or really rebellious - henceforth Dooku's rebellious tendancies as well as Qui-Gon's.

Though personally - quiet and one to meditate a lot, like he does thru out the Saga(s).

3. DarthGaul

DarthGaul Jedi Master star 3

May 25, 2004
    I've actually started writing about that....part of my trilogy fic currently being told in Before The Saga forum.

Hmmm...shameless plug, is it not?

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh NO! It's heeeeeeeere! :eek: [face_laugh]

Yoda has a sense of humor - I mean, anyone who can play games with Luke after spending 20 years on a slimy mudhole would have one. So back in his younger years - and what are we defining as younger? Like, 10 years old? 100? :p

Anyway, he was probably someone who was always strong in the Unifying Force, someone who knew how to connect with people. Because as much as I don't like him :p he does seem to have a knack for getting people's attention in a non-threatening way.

Okay, so maybe Artoo would disagree. "Mine! Or I will help you not!"

5. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    - and what are we defining as younger? Like, 10 years old? 100?

Well, that's the big question, isn't it? How long does it take his species to mature? Was his whole lifespan stretched out so that he was just reaching adulthood at 200, or did he reach it at 20 and just not die? And if he was slow to mature, did he have to spend more time than others at the various stages of advancement? It'd be frightening to think they made him a padawan while he was still learning to walk.

6. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Well, he did make that comment about training Jedi for 800 years when he was around 900 years old. So it can be assumed that he was a Jedi Knight by at least the age of 100. So even if he aged slowly, he was definitely a full adult by that point.

And he was probably already all wrinkly by then. :p

7. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    As I recall from the Essential Guide to Characters... he was known as a bit of prankster. I think it mentioned he became a Master at the age of 100, so it did take him a while to mature, it would seem. :D

Somehow, I always picture him in his youth as having orange hair, and his Padawan Braid flopping around at his knees.

8. agentj

agentj Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 3, 2004
    Heh heh. Well, Yaddle, who is supposed to be 400-and-something has kinda golden hair, so I could see that--Yoda with orange hair! (And being a prankster, maybe he was sort of the "Carrot Top" of his people?) I can't see living 900 years without developing a sense of humour. I knew he had to have one if he was willing to look like the jester for Luke when they meet. (Personally, I can't see how Luke didn't know the green joker was Yoda--a planet filled with non-speaking lifeforms and the first talking creature he meets has probably got to be somebody. Maybe that's just me.)

A point of interest, Mace Windu is actually Yoda's Number One. Not that there is a hierarchy in the Jedi Council (all 12 are supposed to have equal say in Jedi matters), but Yoda and Mace obviously "take charge" when dealing with the rest of the Jedi. And I'd imagine Yoda's been there a lot longer than anybody else.

Re-watching the first two episodes, I noticed that Yoda keeps very close tabs on Anakin. He knew something was going down with Anakin on Tatooine, and when Ani was all troubled about Padme falling out of the transport, Yoda looked really thoughtful....

9. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Or maybe his species matures slowly, but not too slowly. So he became a knight when he was 50 or so, but because he knew he would live, like, forever :p he held off on training padawans and initiates. Maybe he went around the galaxy on some missions, to get some experience.

10. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    You started it! Sigh...

I guess I'm the only one who thought Yoda was suffering from the GFFA equivalent of Alzheimer's on Dagobah then huh?

I'm not sure what to think. If he had a padawan by 100 and Dooku, I think it said somewhere on the OS, was well over 100 years old by AotC, does that mean that say a Yoda-species-year is about 5.5 GFFA-human-years?

KD

11. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    : Re-watching the first two episodes, I noticed that Yoda keeps very close tabs on Anakin.

That was another thing the guide mentioned... he's a stickler for the traditional ways, especially about taking in a youngling as old as Anakin. IIRC, he said as much in TPM, and again in ESB with Luke.

/edit: Apparently even a bright highlighted warning and blackout aren't fair game in hiding spoilers, so this one has been removed voluntarily.

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    I like to think of him as slightly reckless, but that he had some experiences that knocked it out of him.

So, where does everyone think he came from? In Wayward Beings, I claim that he has a soft spot for foundlings because he was a slave to pirates until a Jedi Knight rescued him.

13. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Drabbo I had to laugh when I saw this thead. I was joking about starting it but now that it's here... I'm in the Yoda-is-a-green-troll contingent.

As for his youth, I would imagine him as the Trickster. His jokes with Luke when they first meet, even though he was testing Luke, were very amusing. He was either senile by that time or just having fun. And he seemed to enjoy baiting R2. I could imagine him and his Master having a lot of fun together.

14. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    He was either senile by that time or just having fun.

I'm going to have to do with senile. [face_laugh]

15. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    : And he seemed to enjoy baiting R2.

That he did!

Hrm. Did Yoda and Artoo ever meet in the PT? I'm guessing not, since Artoo would probably have informed Luke that this was the wrinkly little fart he was looking for.

16. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Yay, a Yoda-thread. :D I always thought that he was a bit senile at the end. Or maybe not exactly senile, but just not used to company any more. Living on a backwater planet completely alone for so many years will probably do that to your social skills.

17. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I've always pictured him as growing up with a good sense of humor. I wonder if he had siblings? Can you imagine what a conversation between two Yoda's would be like? I picture him agruing over food with a brother. ;)

18. DarthGaul

DarthGaul Jedi Master star 3

May 25, 2004
    I've always imagined Yoda as a loner. Someone that's never had a family until the Jedi, perhaps thats why he enjoys watching the children as if they were his own. Yoda to me (and the way he is in my stories) is young and naive at first, he has to gain the experience to become the destined role he has undoubtedly been foreseen as by the other Jedi members. Even Qui Gon managed to notice a young Obi Wan as being a wise man in the future, a certain feeling in the force that Jin could not ignore.

It just stands to reason that Yoda had high expectations to live up to as the council watched him. I also believe that some Sith did manage to survive during his era, how else could he have known the actions of any dark lord unless he was confronted with one in his past. Sure there would be text and historical records about them, but there must have been one or a few that remained to give him the keen insight as to how they operated or even knew how to hide their presence.

As child, I think he would be playful, a joker, one that liked to be a bit of a rebel and got into trouble. Perhaps he became more focused as time carried on and the Force grew stronger with in him.

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    Personally, I thought baiting r2 was cosmic payback for some practical joke played on the way back from naboo...

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Laughed like crazy when I saw you did it! Bravo Drabbo . :D :D

21. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Can you imagine what a conversation between two Yoda's would be like?

*head explodes* :oops:

22. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    Bravo Drabbo.

Thanks. [face_blush] I've gone ahead and made the topic our first challenge.

For some reason, I imagine that Yoda was tall, handsome, maybe arrogant. Then he starting aging and aging and lost it all. :p

23. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Read my first challenge entry... like I told Jodiwent, I never really thought much of Yoda being young and now I think it's rather strange when he is such an integral part of SW. How did his youth affect him and being so long lived what has he seen in changes through the millenia?

Most definitely this thread was a long time coming and I'm glad to see it and read the stories that come from it.

24. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Oh dude, sweet, someone finally made it. :p

I've always loved Yoda, and I've had this plot bunny racing around my head for a few years about his race, though it's having a hard time getting onto paper. :p

Will definitely check out the challenge thread! :D

25. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I remember in seeing AOTC when he teases Obi-Wan for lossing a planet in front of the younglings, feeling a bit of vindication in how I've always seen him. I know he teases Luke and such in the OT, but he appeared so serious once Luke knew who he was (not without reason mind you), but I always saw him as having a great sense of humor too adn a bit of a trickster too. I imagine it a must when living for so long, it can't be easy seeing so many friends die in your life time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.