main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Look as Good You Will Not, Hmm? -- The Yoda Discussion Thread <~~> New Topic 9/24!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Drabbo_Fett, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I think the easiest way is just to write out his dialog in the regular way and them change it a bit.

Change it a bit after writing I must... hmmmm? :D

Not that I write him all that much. :8)

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Much as I dislike the troll (sorry guys), I have had to write him a bit. I've noticed that he speaks in short, declarative sentences - nothing really long or drawn out. And about 1/3 -1/2 of his speech is backwards. I know that a lot of fanfic writers write his reverse speech a lot - because he is known for it - but if you listen to him in the movies, his vocabulary is rather formal with short words...

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    My dare is on Yoda (thanks Shadow! :p[:D]) I must pick your brains at some point. :D

4. DarthGaul

DarthGaul Jedi Master star 3

May 25, 2004
    Yoda is a hard one to write lines for, especially in his youth. Seeing how he must always say things in the opposite order. I actually don't have a problem with Yoda's character at all, in my fic (THE JEDI WARS), he's young and playful, but with a lingering of his future self as he tend to think about things from time to time. And that's really the whole basis for Yoda...he was a deep thinker and used the Force to guide his train of thought. "See through you we can"

5. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    I couldn't imagine having the sort of memory resouces Yoda had. I mean with that sort of massive library of experiences to draw from, any question, even a simple one, stands a good chance of bringing up a three-day-long answer. So its not surprising that he only speaks in short declaratives. In fact, I'd bet that somewhere around the 500s, he quit responding verbally for a spell. Heck, if every word someone spoke brought up a thousand memories, I wouldn't be saying very much either.

6. DarthSockie

DarthSockie Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2005

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] There's a humor piece for you to write!

7. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Ish was telling me that after she took Hebrew she could write Yoda speech a lot better...

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Bringing this up! :D

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Oops, as soon as I get a good idea, here comes the right one. :) Thanks, Vaderlvr64.

10. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    [image=http://rabittooth.com/1024x768StarWarsWallpapers/1024YodaV2.jpg]

11. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Woa...this is a great thread. I've written one fic with Yoda; which I won't pimp; and want to write more. I personally think Yoda is one the pivitol characters in Star Wars, after all up until RotJ, he had seen almost everything. His life spans from post-Sith War through KOTR era, PT, & OT. Being born just after the formation of the Republic, and the end of the Sith Wars, he's been privy to the Rise and Fall of the Jedi Order; and everything in between.

I know I'm a bit late, but I want to catch up on some of the discussion here. The first was what Yoda was like in his younger days. I tend to refer to Lucas licensed stuff for this, in that guides do characterize him as having been a bit of a prankster. But for those of you who did read Dark Rendevous (two thums up by the way), remember Dooku actually tried to turn Yoda, and Yoda responded by saying something to the effect of being as old as he had, didn't Dooku know Yoda would have touched the Dark Side at some point already? (not direct qoute but along those lines). This leads to believe he has/almost fallen at some point; and or has been in contact with the Sith during his life. Just because the other Jedi believe the Sith extinct, doesn't mean Yoda did...

The issue of Yoda feeling guilty regarding the fall of Anakin, or Dooku; I'm sure now that he's in his twilight years (fianl 200 :p ) that he has come to terms with not burdening himself with things he can not change. "Choose you must..." Yoda trained Jedi to the best of anyone's ability, and shouldn't feel guilty about the desecions of others. He may having a feeling of disappointment in his prize students falling, but he wouldn't (esp. as a traditionalist) feel responsible in some fashion.

On a side note, it's a shame Lucas has outlawed any (licensed) history be written on Yoda or his species; judging by Dark Rendevous, that's a grossly un-tapped resource for the KOTOR Era.

12. alhana_antilles

alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    he has come to terms with not burdening himself with things he can not change. "Choose you must..." Yoda trained Jedi to the best of anyone's ability, and shouldn't feel guilty about the desecions of others.

This is something I like about Yoda. He doesn't take on anyone else's mistakes as his own. He doesn't have the ego needed to believe that everything revolves around him or that he is responsible for every bad thing that happens to the Jedi. Instead, Yoda holds people accountable for their own actions.

13. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    Hey! I just discovered this thread is it a private thread or can anyone jump in.:D

I write Yoda in his youth (birth on)

We need a Yoda face.

14. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I've tried to kick this thread a couple times with no success. Hopefully, the new thoughts will do it again. Be that as it may, this really jumped out at me:

Woah! Umm...yeah. You could sort of say I'm addressing both your points in my current fic (no pimping so PM for details). I remember the point in the Dark Rendevous you're referring to. In fact, Dooku mused how dangerous a Sith Yoda would be. There is some evidence to support this supposition, btw. How is it that Yoda seems to be the only one who knows how to "handle" (pun intended) Sith lightning? Try watching TPM again and pay attention to Yoda when QGJ reports that he's faced a Sith. Yoda doesn't act all surprised like Mace does. When he does talk, he tells QGJ to continue investigating. The thing that really jumps out at you, though, is Yoda's face right before he gets blown off the Senate pod. It was not exactly full of Jedi-calm now, was it? [face_thinking] Of course, this is all circumstantial evidence, but it definitely leaves room for exploration of his youth, no?

Regarding Yoda's origins, I'm always bothered when it is suggested that Yoda and Yaddle are somehow unique. Even with their considerable life-span (call it 1000 years for argument's sake), there still would need to have been a large enough gene pool of them around somewhere at some relatively recent time (within the last 1000 years or so) to explain two of them being in the Jedi order. I'm inclined to think that, at best, his people are an extremely xenophobic society and at worst they are recently extinct...

15. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Hmmmmm...Yoda touching the Dark Side at some point in his life. I could definitely see him doing that at somepoint. I tend to believe most of the Jedi had to have reached a point in their lives where they were at the very least tempted by the "easier" path and had to make a decision to remain a Jedi or turn.

I wish someone would write about Yoda's dealings with that temptation.......hint, hint to all you talented writers out there! I think he would have had the same struggle to give in to the darkside as Anakin and Dooku did but obviously, with a different outcome.

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    You know, it's funny. OUt of all the Jedi, I don't think Ive ever contemplated Yoda as darkside. Wonder how that would have been had he turned Sith. With his longevity and his diminutive stature, which I could see really throwing beings off on his power and skill, he would have been one heck of a formidable foe.

I agree Kelia, someone needs to write dark Yoda. [face_devil]

17. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    AAAGGGHHH! Don't do this to me!

*channels William Shatner*

"must...resist...urge to pet...plot bunny..."

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Dark Yoda... now there's and interesting thought. For me, it's hard to picture but maybe that plot bunny snapping at my heels will cure that.

he would have been one heck of a formidable foe.

I completely agree with Healer_Leona there. :)

I'm inclined to think that, at best, his people are an extremely xenophobic society and at worst they are recently extinct..

Recently extinct?! :eek: No!

:p

Actually, I can see that, seeing as though we've never really seen his species.

19. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Ok. I'm NOT pimping my story or anything, but since you all are mentioning it, I'll just tell you that I have a WIP that addresses Yoda's people, his experience with the dark side, etc. Many of my points in the previous post are addressed in the fic. If you want to know more, PM me for info. *feels really wierd*

I'll tell you this, it's a fun plot bunny and there are a lot of ways to run with it. I've spent a great deal of time thinking about Yoda and why he is the way he is in the PT. It's fun to consider the possibilities...

20. jpauln

jpauln Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2005
    I don't think it's considered pimping if the story fits in with the particular topic of discussion. That being said, I do recommend you guys read Souder's story. It not only answers all the points brought up, but it does so in a logical, realistic way. Some may not necessarily agree with the reasons behind the fall, and if so, good. That just gives us a reason to debate the topic or even challenge someone to come up with their own reasons for Yoda dancing with the darkside, how his home world was, what he was like when he was younger, his relationship with Yaddle, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.