main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    The most fun for me (aside from the movie, of course) was drafting the pattern. From the one really clear picture from that cardboard stand-up, I could see something different about the Ceremonial/Blood Red dress pattern. The overdress doesn't have a defined arm hole. The side seams there by the under dress sleeves ar angled. Honestly, it made it easier to draft and line.

Anyhow... Everyone, your costumes really do look wonderful! I can really tell that a lot of work and dedication went into making them. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday!

2. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    I (mostly) finished my sister's Christmas present--the rest of her Eowyn costume. She wore the jumper to the premiere over a maroon sweater, so for Christmas I finished the blue tunic to wear under it. Actually, I still have to find good lacing for the sleeves, but for all intents and purposes, it's wearable.

Also, I removed the neck trim from my Requiem dress and am finishing it up. It wasn't all the way done for the premiere. The beads make it very heavy! :) It feels rich.

3. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Has anyone tried the Legolas costume or is going to try the one he wears at the end of ROTK? Please share!! I'm looking to make that one or the one he always wears, so any tips would be sweet. Thanks :)

4. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    Yeah I've wondered that too if anyone has attempted that costume, :)
    Has anyone attempted Arwen's other gowns that aren't shown in the movie? JW

5. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    thanks for the comments on my silly wedding dress everyone ^^

My mom gave me some purple velvet for Christmas, intending me to make a cloak with it, but I'm tempted to make Arwen's Hope dress with it instead (my favourite dress of hers!). It's not *exactly* the colour of her dress (and it was hard to take a picture of it, none of them look quite right, they're all a little too bright). Here's a pic of it:
    http://kellilla.com/me/cosplay/purplefabric1.jpg

Should I make the Hope dress with this, or just stick with a cloak?

6. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    I'm going to help a friend of mine to make Legolas' silver jerkin; it's the one he wears in Lothlorien and near the end of RotK. My friend is a girl, but she looks a lot like legolas; she even bleached her hair blond to look more like him. For the pattern, I am going to use McCalls 3589 for the basic shape of the jerkin and draft my own pattern for the sleeves and collar.

7. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Kellilla I say go with your heart's desire. If you'd rather make a Hope dress, then make it. Since the color of the velvet it a bit off, then the rest of the colors should proportionately be so as well.

Just my $.02

8. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Naboo, thank you!! What kind of material are you planning on using?

9. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    When were the costumes on display and at which Neiman Marcus? If they're still there, I'd like to look.

10. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    The costumes went on display at Neiman Marcus at the end of November (I believe around Thanksgiving the windows went up?) and were scheduled to stay up through December 29th (from what I read at TORN).

Be sure to look around all sides of the store, I totally missed one of the window displays with the Gondor costumes :( I would have really liked to check out Boromir's in person.

-Kay Dee

11. Naboo_Girl

Aug 13, 2003
    BellaSabrina I'm not sure what kind of fabric I am going to use since my friend is buying it and I haven't seen the fabric yet. The real jerkin I think is made from duponi silk.

12. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Let me know what kind of fabric you end up using. I'm probably going to have to go into the fashion district in NYC one day after work to get that and my cranberry velour/velvet.

13. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    > Has anyone attempted Arwen's other gowns that aren't shown in the movie?

Gowns that I can think of:
    -Battle Outfit
    -Arch Dress
    -White (WETA) Dress
    -Lavender Beaded Dress

My friend was the first to attempt the Battle Outfit and it turned out okay since she's on a tight budget (she ended up using Taffeta Velvet which is more reddish) and only got the few Headshots and Sketch as a guide. I got this dress on my To-Do List, gotten this Chiffon/Georgette Fabric that I think will suit the Sleeves lining but don't see the dress becoming a reality till I polish up my dressmaking skills.

At ACS-LOTR Website, under the scrapbook, can see a couple of people who had done the Battle Outfit, Arch Dress and Lavender Beaded Dress.

The White (WETA) Dress is yet to be seen won by a fan.

14. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Thanks for the compliments for my Gandalf costume. :)
    I got a digital camera for christmas, so I took a picture of the vest and of the staff.

15. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Amazing, Darth Lars! All that work you put into the vest is *totally* worth it. It looks fantastic! The staff is marvelous as well. Great job!

Caitlin

16. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Yes, absolutely incredible detail DarthLars - amazing.

17. ReallyLeah

ReallyLeah Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2003
    Good lord, Darth Lars, that's outstanding!! I'm extremely impressed!

BTW- this is Fenig Durak on a temp board ID.

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, DARTHLARS, the detailing is outstanding! Fantastic job. Thanks for posting the pics. :D

edit: LOL! Fenig, when I saw the green text I thought it was you before I even noticed the different username. ;)

19. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    :eek: I usually lurk here, but DARTHLARS' pieces are fantastic! Just had to de-lurk to say outstanding!

20. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Wow, Darth Lars; your work looked great! :)

21. Naboo_Girl

Aug 13, 2003
    Bella Sabrina?The fabric she bought is a pale silver satin-like fabric with the rough lines in it like duponi silk. She bought it at Joanns for about $10.99 per yard. We sewed must of it on Tuesday and it came out really well. All she has left to do on it is embroider the sleeve petal overlays and make the belt and clasps.

22. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    What pattern are you using? I know you're doing your own for most of it, right?

23. Naboo_Girl

Aug 13, 2003
    I use McCalls 3589 for the basic pattern. All I had to do was extend the collar on the front and back pieces and fix the front of the tunic so it overlapped like Legolas'. For the sleeves I just use the McCall one and made it a little bit longer and flaired it out at the elbow for the bell shape.

24. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I just wanted to share some pictures of my Eowyn that were taken of me on Triloghy Tuesday. It was the first time I had attempted to make a costume this complicated and I think that it turned out pretty well, Except for the belt that started to fall apart right after Fellowship >.<

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/12084/B1.jpg]

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/12084/BJ1.jpg]

25. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    The Neiman Marcus exhibit is over. I happened to get there (dressed in my shieldmaiden dress) as they were taking it down. Perfect timing. Thing is, I couldn't find the ending date online and heard it was still up. Bad timing on my trip to LA :)

Anyway, I do have a somewhat amusing picture to share, the boxed up costumes :)

[image=http://www.koshka-the-cat.com/pictures/box.JPG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.