main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Liannb - I didn't know you were making one of Arwen's gowns too! It looks like it's coming together well. Are you going to Dragon*con?

Slaygirl - That's a very cool witch king costume. Thanks for sharing the pic :)

-kay dee

2. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Kay Dee,
    Wow! Your dress and photos are fantastic!

:)
    ecila

3. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Kay Dee, you looked stunning in your Mourning Dress! [face_love] I really love how the trimmings on your dress had turned out. [face_love]

Slaygirl, your Witching also looked great! =D= And thanks for showing how you go about making the basic shape of the helmet. After my friend gave away to me his simple Witchking helmet (cut out from a hard posterboard) & shoulder armor (a few of those dress shoulder paddings glued together and painted), I had been wanting to do my own using his as a template and improving it to be more accurate (I'm terrible at drawing so need template most of the time [face_blush] ). Now I had got even more ideas on from yours on how to improve it even better. Well, got to trim my Ringwraith costume first as it's looked like it belong to a Dementor instead! (It's too long lah as initially I intended to be headless so gave a lot of allowance on the bottom).

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Darth_Eagle, thank you for your encouragement over the blue dye! I need it. :) I've gone through several different dye tests with about five different blues and am only marginally happy with one result. I ordered two more colors and am eagerly awaiting for their arrival. One way or another, I'm going to have to settle on something once these new dyes get here because I'm running out of time. ;)

slaygirl, your witchking looks fantastic! Wow!

And kay_dee, I literally had to gasp when I saw how lovely you look in your portraits. I can't wait to see this gown cloe-up at D*C. :D

5. Slaygirl

Slaygirl Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2004
    Thanks a lot jedilucass, Sister_Sola, kay_dee, and Obi-Dawn Kenobi for the compliments on my costume.

And Darth_Eagle, I'm glad I could help you out with my costume, though the idea of those sholder pads all put together is pretty good. I'll have to see your's when it's done! :)

6. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Slaygirl and Darth -
    Somehow I missed your costumes last time around, so I just wanted to say - nice job!!
    ecila

7. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Okay, Eowyn white wool version 2 est complèt! What a relief.

Eowyn white wool

[image=http://www.sistersola.com/Aug-8-04-005.jpg]

8. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Lovely, lovely job ladies!

~H~

9. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    It's beautiful Sister Sola! This is coming to Dragon*Con right? Did you end up getting a wig? If so it looks very natural! (I can never seem to find good wigs).

-kay dee

10. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Thanks kay_dee! Wow, you think that's my hair? That wig's better than I thought! I can PM you the seller if you like.

Yep, it's coming to DCon.

11. Mister_Sidious

Mister_Sidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    My bud just called me up and begged me to make him a Wormtongue costume for DragonCon. So, I guess that means I'll be doing my Saruman costume too. Man... Between Palpatine and Saruman, I may be able to collect social security over the weekend. ;) LOL! September 1st is my 24th birthday, so I guess it'll curb the depression and make me feel younger to dress up like a couple of 80-yr old men. :D

12. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Sista Sola,
    Your dress looks fantastic - and I thought that was your real hair too! :)

Can't wait to see it in person!

ecila

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow sola! It looks just wonderful. :) And you always find the prettiest places to take your pictures. Love the shot with the gargoyle looking statue guy. ;)

14. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I'm totally behind on my compliments!

A groovy Witch King, and multiple gorgeous ladies! So many pretty costumes!

Great work, everyone!

edit:typos! [face_blush]

15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Sister Sola that would be great if you could pm me the wig info. I think part of the trick with wigs is they look more natural the closer they are to your own hair color. (You are a bit of a darker blonde right?) When I've worn hair pieces that match my own hair color people can't tell I have a wig on. But when I put on brunette wigs it often looks out of place with my coloring. And getting a natural looking hairline - that's not always easy :(

-Kay Dee

16. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Sister_Sola Your gown is absolutely lovely! And I love the location you chose for the pics--SO perfect. The one with you hugging the dragon is my fave [face_love] Can't wait to see it in person!!

~Ferd [face_monkey]

17. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Thanks so much everyone! [face_blush]

kay_dee I sent you a PM with the wig seller.

That must be the trick on the wigs - having a colour close to your own. I'm a dark blonde naturally, currently with lighter streaks in it.

Even the people we ran into while taking the photos asked if it was my own hair - so it stands up pretty well to the 'up close' test too!

18. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Sista Sola - Can you PM me the wig info too?
    ecila

19. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    You betcha!

20. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Sister_Sola, sorry if this is late but happy to see that you finally completed your WW dress and get to wear it for a photoshoot. =D= It's beautiful! :)

21. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Ugh, I am so behind on all my lists!

Sola, your costume looks great. The wig too.
    Kay Dee, your mourning dress rocks. I am so jealous that you have a sari shop close enough to just go pick one up with amazing trim like that.

Congrats Kay Dee and Maggie on getting picked for moderators. Your helpfullness and cheerful, positive attitudes have finally been recognized, even if it was with more work ;P

22. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Here's finally a 2 photos of my New Gondor Tree Pennet which should had taken me a few days to make but ended up 2 weeks or so. :oops:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/Sith_Haldir/Banner/gondorpennet33a.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/Sith_Haldir/Banner/gondorpennet34a.jpg]

Have decide to make the 2nd one edges finish with Satin Bias Tape too instead of self-lined as planned before, tho' I'll be making it like a Flag instead of the Hem like the first to allow me to actually hang it on a pole and carried during my group's LOTR Outing. :p The first one belong above my bed's headboard! ;)

After that, 2 each of the Gondor Crown & Old Gondor Tree Pennets. [face_hypnotized]

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Very nice, Eagle!

24. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Very nice Darth! Will you be carrying that in the DCon parade?

ecila

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think she's coming to D*C. :(

I *think* I may have found the right dye for my requiem velvet. Looks like a mixture of cobalt blue and gray blue might work! [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.