main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lord of the Rings - Oh my god!!! (Possible plot spoilers)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Arun Dale, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MomentOfTriumph

MomentOfTriumph Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    the battle at the start was kick ass

2. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    I was disappointed with the Balrog -v- Gandalf fight.

I thought it would be more lightsabrey with sparks and stuff. Although, Gandalf with the shield was excellent. I suppose that made up for the lack of clashing swords.

3. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    I thought the Balrog scene was better than I imagined in the book. Certainly never imagined it being 'lightsabery'

4. MomentOfTriumph

Jan 12, 2000
    i thought the balrog was awsome, the size of the thing, if i was there id have kacked myself

5. Capt-Mentalist

Capt-Mentalist Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Like CA I grew up with the Lord of the Ring ... when I was 5 my mum started reading me the Hobbit as a bedtime story . I couldn't wait for everynight , so I finished it myself , and moved straight onto the trilogy . So I have been waiting for the for sooooooo long .

A point about Arwen , a lot of her scene were taken from the appendixe's of the books , to expand her character . The sword wil most likely be brought to Aragorn by Arwen .

The film itself .... OHMYGOD !!!!! It was amazing . Aragorn is a coll mofo . Boromir was perfect ... his turn and then redemption ... fantastic . Saruman ? Perfect . The Orcs ... beastly . The Hobbits ? Perfectly casted . Gandalf ? McKellen was born to play him . Legolas and Gimli ? Their friendship has been toned down a tad , but they rocked ... how cool was it when legolas stabbed an orc in the eye , the notched the arrow and shot the next Orc ? How cool was it when Aragorn let frodo leave and turned to face the orcs ? You would have thought it was a small party f orcs , and he turns to face about a hundred , and kicks their arse's . Gandalfs death ? I cried when I first read that as a kid ... this time it was awe inspiring . Boromirs death ... close to tears ... fantastic ( BTW , more metion of the boat will come later when faramir talks of the finding of Boromirs body and broken horn by the men of Gondor ) .

Only few gripes ... nothing was really mentioned about the gift from galadriel aspart from Frodos ... and I know Jackson wanted to cut out Tom Bombadil , but that meant losing the barrow Wights . oh , and the Black Riders were awesome . And the prologue bit rules . Fight scens rocked ...

gushgushgush

6. MomentOfTriumph

Jan 12, 2000
    i liked the flip between reality and wearing the ring

7. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    and I know Jackson wanted to cut out Tom Bombadil , but that meant losing the barrow Wights

But to be honest, they don't do squat for the development of the story other than to let the hobbits find their swords. I personally didn't like the Barrow Wights and Tom Bombadil, to be honest.
    Sir Ian McKellan should get some gold polish for that Oscar now...

8. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Nah Sam, the barrow-wights were cool!

Oh, and great post, Jim!

9. Capt-Mentalist

Oct 8, 2001
    Its the film my life was made for CA , I take it seriously ... and now i'm off to see it again .

10. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    You mis-read my post, Ben... I said I personally didn't like them.

11. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Anyone got anything else to say here?

12. Beckymonster

Beckymonster Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm with Poodu on this one - Sir Ian McKellen better find a space on the mantlepiece very soon... As should Sir Ian Holm - best support for him. I found his Bilbo to be more 'rounded' than the book ever portrayed him - or maybe I need to reread it more!

I think that Peter Jackson has a bloody good chance with the Film/Director gongs - with the technicals (art, design and costume!) being certs.

MoTs Minx - agree on the eye candy! This film nicks X-Men's title as being 'most eye candy in one film'!

I mean, I'd twigged on Legolas from seeing the first trailer, Aragon followed soon after but Boromir?! Up until yesterday - nowt! Now? :D
    Must give an 'onorable mention to Elrond - Hugo Weaving looked beautiful - especially in the violet!

Really looking forward to seeing it again at the weekend - hopefully this time I'll remember the tissues... and remember to stay for the credits too!

13. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Wolverine....

//dribble

14. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    I am on the phone right this minute waiting to get through to an idiot to book tickets for tonight.

They thank me for my patience. They are ansering calls in strict roation and hope to be with me shortly. I am currently number 3 in the queue.

They thank me for my patience. They are ansering calls in strict roation and hope to be with me shortly. I am currently number 3 in the queue.

15. ObiJohnKenobi

Aug 30, 2001
    Whoop-whoop! The nice idiot ticket-jockey has finally come up with the goods and I will be enjoying that Ring tonight.

16. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    cool bananas. Was it the Odeon automated helpline. Where you have to sound like an idiot talking to a machine just to be put in a queue at the end of it all?

17. ObiJohnKenobi

Aug 30, 2001
    No, this was the Cineworld Chesterfield booking line, which plays preposterous rag-time music at you and really slow in putting you through to a Local inbreed who is then really slow answering your questions.

18. Capt-Mentalist

Oct 8, 2001
    Second time round ... it still bloody rocked .

19. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    I am soo looking forward to seeing it again :)

20. pdubyuh

pdubyuh Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2000
    is gollum in it? i can't remeber if he's in the first book ?

21. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
  22. pdubyuh

Dec 14, 2000
    was he good?

23. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Yeah...shiny eyes and quite creepy lookin'

24. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    Gollum was wicked.

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

25. pdubyuh

Dec 14, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.