main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Empyre, Jan 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Empyre

Empyre Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2000
    The trailer for Fellowship of the Ring has been released on the official site. Go to www.lordoftherings.net and see it. It feels like the wait for Episode I for these movies. This trailer is just like the first Episode I trailer. It gives great visuals but reveals nothing. So go get it.

2. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I saw it on Access Hollywood yesterday. It looked really cool. Although I've never read the books, I might be tempted to, now, and go see the movie.

3. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Megan, I think I was trying to convince to read the LotR trilogy before we switched over to UBB. I may be too lazy to tell all the reasons WHY you should, but there are many.

If you do, I GUARANTEE you will not be sorry!

4. AppearDreamer

AppearDreamer Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2001
    If you wanna see the trailer on the BIG SCREEN, its playing right now before the movie, "Thirteen Days"

Hope it helps!

Lapis
    "Think, don't feel."

5. JediLars

JediLars Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    The trailer looks great on the big screen!! 13 days is also a pretty good movie if you enjoy historical type movies. If you enjoyed JFK you will like thirteen days.

JediLars

6. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    I second that opinion of Thirteen Days... it's a great flick. Actually, the comparison in my mind was Apollo 13, rather than JFK, since I never saw the latter. The two films (Apollo 13 and Thirteen Days... hey, just noticed the number connection ;) have a similar flow, where things start out smooth then degenerate to tension-packed grasping for solutions...

Kevin Costner's attempt at a Boston accent, however, is a bit laughable. :D

The LOTR trailer was fabulous!

Thom

7. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I went to see 13 Days two Fridays ago (opening night, I believe) and didn't see any LOTR trailer. In fact, I didn't even hear about the whole teaser trailer thing until this past Monday. It would have been kinda cool to see, but it's no big loss.

I agree that the flick itself (13 Days) is really good; good enough to prompt me into buying RFK's memoir of the same name just a few days later. There's even scarier stuff in there that the movie doesn't go into (the most frightening of which was the reccommendation by a few generals that the US proceed with an air strike against Cuba even after a final deal had been reached with the Soviets. Kee-ripes.)

On athe film's lighter side: Costner's line "I"m not cancelling on Daley!" got a bigger laugh from the audience I saw it with (myself included) than any comedy I've seen in the theater since the reissue of Blazing Saddles in '98. Of course, that's to be expected from a Chicago crowd.

Two notes on Costner:
    1] I thought he carried the Boston accent pretty well (not perfect of course.) It took a few minutres to get used to, but it definitely helped that he was not the only person speaking in that tone.

2] One of my favorite parts of the movie was his last scene: it's breakfast at his home (he had five kids in JFK, too BTW) and he starts to wistfully say a few words about the sun rising. I started to cringe a bit... dreading that a "costner moment" would taint the end of an otherwise enjoyable film. Then he stops, and quietly breaks down; the weight and pressure of the past two weeks finally crashing down upon the character. It reminded me of something Sam Peckinpah said about filmming "The Wild Bunch:" the moment when Pike walks into the brothers' room and says "Let's go." Peckinpah mentioned that the producers came to him during shooting and told him that that scene needed a big rousing speech as a prelude to the gunfight. Peckinpah replied (I'm paraphrasing somewhat) "At this point in the film, if they need a speech to tell them what's about to happen and why, then we've jsut wasted two hours of everyone's fuc&ing time."

-Le Penguin
    "John Paul Jones!!!!"

8. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Just a side note on LOTR...

A girl I work with mentioned that anyone who hasn't read the series can order a "Cliff's Notes" version online. I started to giggle like a schoolgirl when she told me this (I do that a lot anyway) until I realized that she was serious. I was going to ask if she could find me the Sandman series in the same format, but I was afraid she'd say yes.

-Le Penguin
    "I knew it would be in the last place I looked, so I looked there first."

9. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Thirteen Days was excellent! I never realized how bad things were at that time (I wasn't born yet of course, so maybe that's why!) One tiny misstep, and the whole future could have been different!

Didn't care for Costner's accent. Don't know if it was a good Boston accent... never been to Boston. Just know that it was annoying!

The trailer was also very good. I realized watching it that it has been a LONG time since I read Lord of the Rings (about 16 years). I recognized Gandalf and thought I identified Frodo... but didn't have a clue to the identities of the rest of them!

10. JediLars

JediLars Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    I would have to agree that Costners attempt to a Boston Accent was commendable but not close enough. I also thought the part about Daley funny. One part I didn't realize was how much influence Bob K had even though he was Attorny General. It was like he was VP or S.S.

JediLars

11. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    I took a class called World Politics about 7 years ago. The professor was great, and I learned so much in that class, it was incredible.

In it, we read a book called "Groupthink" which was about how the dynamics of the decision-making process in a group. As examples it analyzed in great detail several major political events, some of which were Bay of Pigs, Watergate, Cuban Missile Crisis, and the Korean War.

In many ways this book truly terrified me. The theory proposed by the author, and backed up very well, was that when a group is making a decision, the various personalities, positions, and viewpoints of group members, and especially the internal power structure and dynamics of the group and the leadership style of the leader, have an EXTREMELY high influence on the decision that will be made, as opposed to the facts and circumstances of the issue at hand.

Whenever I have thought about the CBC, I've been extremely grateful to be alive today, and living in a still free country. I don't know how everyone feels about a Supreme Being, or a Force, but I have to believe that there is something watching out for us in these situations beyond our political leaders. Not that a lot of bad stuff hasn't happened, but that, considering how much worse many things COULD have turned out, it looks to me that "luck" has been on our side. (And by "our side", I just mean humankind, not the U.S.A.)

Anyway, now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

12. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    "... and so, whenever you think back with gratitude in the direction of the immortal and charasmatic JFK for his brave and steady course of action in that time of great crisis, don't forget to tip your hat to patriot, Chicagoan, and independent businessman Sam Giancana. For without him, Nixon would have been in office after Ike, and the events in October '62 would have ended quite differently. Ended, indeed."

-Le Penguin,
    with considerably less cynicism than you'd think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.