main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    We've decided that what NSWFF needs is a good social thread, a place to chat about anything and everything. "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" :p So, why don't we all get to know each other a bit more?

(And yes, the title is a play off a Jasper Fforde book, in honor of this resource being named after another in the series :p )

As with the social thread in Fan Fiction Resource, please keep this a place to not talk about specific fics, beta projects, e-romances, etc., and let's make this a fun, welcoming place for everyone :)

How's everyone's summer been going so far?

Random Comments likes this.
  2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Blah. Two jobs, unending work, and little pay. :(

3. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    It's summer? How? When? I...

So that's why it's been so warm lately.

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :( That sucks. Are they just summer jobs, or are you keeping them?

Drabbo - [face_laugh]

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    No work = more writing. :p

I'm going to an opera on Thursday. :D

6. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Y'know, when you don't cheat, typing up those entries for the "Lesser-Known" thread can get pretty time-consuming. [face_tired]

EDIT: So what opera are you going to go see? Days of Our Lives, All My Children, The Young and the Restless...?

7. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Losing one of them next week, but the other is just a summer job.

:rolleyes: - What are you seeing? Some Verdi? Wagner? Mozart?

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's good. Less stress, more fanfic :D

Idri - yay!! I approve of this :D

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Handel, actually. :) Giulio Cesare, except instead of doing a traditional production, they're staging it as "American General in the Middle-east", and apparently they have television screens up as part of the set on which they're going to show news images from the war. Should be... quite... interesting.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    .... that... should be interesting. I saw a production of it a few years back, but they did traditional Egypt. Do you know if your leads are female contraltos or will you have men singing falsetto?

11. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    My summer is going well, I suppose. Working, that's about it.

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    To be honest, I like shows that re-imagine the setting - and to a certain extent - the plot. I like to see how far they can push stuff. Makes it more interesting. :) I don't know about the leads yet, but I'll find out in a couple of hours from now. :p

I'll report back to you tonight, Miana. ;)

13. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    If you only have jobs and work to worry about then you're lucky. I'm moving out of Uni accommodation and moving back in with my parents today, so I've had a stressful week packing everything up ready to be moved. It's less fun that eating broken glass laced with chilli and lemon juice. [face_tired]

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ug, I hate moving. The end of the school year sucks that way.

15. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Moving sucks, no matter where or when it happens. Makes you wonder how you accumulate so much stuff.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Exactly!! I'm really glad I've never had to move houses yet (so even though most of my clothes and a lot of my books go back and forth, most of my stuff just stays on one place).

17. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    My husband and I bought a house last fall. When we moved out of our apartment, we filled most of the dumpster up with various crap. The guy that used to live in our house decided to forget packing. He left a ton of crap laying around for us to throw out. 8-}

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    So thoughtful of him. [face_tired]

19. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    I try not to move if I can. March was pretty much a case of not having a choice (since the city had ordered the building evacuated and all).

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I've never really moved houses before. I shift stuff back and forth between school and home, but I've never had to move every single thing I own.

Okay, so, opera report. It was... interesting. Not sure if I liked it or not. When you have the sound effects for bombs dropping mixed in with the cheerful overture (accompanied with images of, well, bombs dropping on TVs scattered all over the stage), the contrast is pretty mind-boggling.

Miana, as for the leads, Cesare and Tolomeo were played by countertenors and Nireno was a mezzo-soprano. It's really hard to get used to countertenor. You see a tall, large man walk out onstage and you expect him to be a baritone or something and then he starts to sing and... yeah. The image doesn't match up with the voice. [face_laugh]

21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Well, I'm back at home now, so it's a bit calmer for me. I made an epic find when I moved out though. Someone had thrown out a TV! It's a particularly big one and it's a CRT not a flatscreen, but it works and everything. I had to have it on my lap on the way home but I didn't mind. :D

But yeah, where does all the junk come from? Next year I'll be able to travel light, just my clothes, bedding, computer stuff, and kitchen stuff. This year it was crazy, it really was.

22. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    He left expired canned foods. You know how long those have to sit to expire? And not like, recently expired, liked 2-3 years old. There was so much junk. *shudders*

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000

Oooh, lucky. Our Cesar was this fat old contralto lady. She sang beautifully, but her love scenes with Cleopatra just made everyone cringe.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    FG - that is SO gross! Yuck.

25. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Could be worse. "Does the corpse come with the apartment?" "No, that's the former tenant. Once I get this place rented, I'll call the police to come take that out of there."