main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
  2. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh]

How dramatic food can be. :p

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Huzzah! My 2 hour shift was cancelled for tonight, so I'm going to go see Toy Story 3!!

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Cool!! I think I'll be skipping that, but I'm excited for TLA :D Does anyone else accidentally keep calling it 'Avatar'?

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Why would you skip TS3 in favor of TLA? As much of an Avatar fan as I am, TS3 was amazing and is definitely the superior film of the 2. :p

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Not in favor of, just skipping (at least until the DVD). It's been a REALLY long time since I've seen Toy Story, and all I remember was that it scared me 8-}

7. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    I don't think there's a Pixar movie that I didn't see in the theater.

8. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I've only seen the beginning of TS3, but it looked good so far. What struck me the most was that Bo-Peep was no longer around. I always liked the slight Woody/Bo-Peep vibe. *grins* And I read that the movie is full of harmful stereotypes, but I didn't really pick up on them in what I saw.

I just saw the trailer for the new Rapunzel movie that comes out in November and am really looking forwards to that.

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Jen!! [:D]

New Rapunzel movie? Animated?

10. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    No more Bo-Peep? :(

Haven't seen it yet. If you really want to find them, every movie can be said to have a stereotype. In my Woman's Studies class back in college, we had to watch this video that showed us how harmful Disney movies were to woman. They made a couple valid points, but a lot made no sense. I'm still trying to figure out how watching Beauty and the Beast pushes a girl into an abusive relationship.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, I love Beauty and the Beast! One of my favorites.

12. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    That's always a risk when you get too deconstructive, especially from a particular perspective; you start projecting instead. That's why the same material is often credited/lambasted for having diametrically opposed viewpoints.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    One of my favorite quotes is "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." (Which I so wanted to say in Lit class sometimes 8-} ) Not everything has a hidden meaning; sometimes what's on the surface is really what is.

14. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Had a bunch of over analyzers in your Lit class, Nat? 8-}

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, including my teacher :( I kept thinking that it couldn't really be that complicated, could it?

16. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    It can if you make it so. And then you get the "Death of the Author" idea that all interpretations, no matter how illogical or guano insane, are equally valid (and yet, somehow, the author can still be held responsible for all of them).

EDIT: We need a lighter, fluffier topic. Marshmallows. Yay or nay?

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Yay. Especially when cooked over a fire and squished between two grahm crackers :D

18. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I could go for some smores. S'more of what? :p

It reminds me of the famous line from The Sandlot:

"You're killin' me, Smalls."

19. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Mmmm marshmallows. Marshmallow milkshakes are amazing. =P~

[image=http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/gb-mr-stay-puft-bank.jpg]

Marshmallow king. :p

20. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    At 1pm* today, we hit the halfway point on 2010. So, how's everyone's year been so far?

*For those areas of the Northern Hemisphere that follow Daylight Saving Time. For areas anywhere that don't, it was at noon. For areas of the Southern Hemisphere that follow it during their summer, Midpoint 2010 would've been at 11am. Have I forgotten anyone?

21. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Nat! *hugs*

I'm an American Studies student with a Gender Studies minor, and we just interpret the death out of things. *sigh* I read some feminist blogs/groups and while I agree with some stuff, I think parts are just trying to read too much into something. Of course, then the idea of privilege comes into play and "teaching ourselves to see beyond" and I dunno.

I'd love to say a cigar is just a cigar, but that's not a valid argument when it comes down to gender discourses.

*sigh*

Rapunzel is, I believe, a joint Pixar/Disney feature and therefore CGI instead of traditional animation. I'm kind of disappointed, I was looking forwards to another Disney Animated Masterpiece after The Princess and the Frog.

I have never been a huge fan of marshmallows. I know, I know, I'm insane. They're great in s'mores and I'll throw them in brownies. But I know people (aka, my siblings) who will try to eat them by the bag full and just the idea of that *shudders*

22. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Since Disney acquired Pixar, everything is to some tiny extent a joint venture inasmuch as John Lasseter oversees all the animated features that come out of both teams, and a few other Pixar guys also have positions at Disney. Otherwise, they remain separate, and Tangled, as it's apparently being called now, is definitely on the Disney side. [Remember, just because it's CGI doesn't mean it's Pixar; Disney was already doing its own CGI pre-merger.]

EDIT: I just realized it's a holiday weekend. Huh.

23. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    See, I thought Tangled was just Disney, but then on the trailer it brings up Pixar, I think? I don't know -- the entire thing confuses me. They were together and then they separated except they didn't completely?

In any case, I want to see the movie. That and HP7 are going to be my movie highlights at Christmas. And 2011 is going to be an awesome movie year, with Transformers 3 and POTC4 and I think there's at least one other movie I really wanted to see that's coming out then.

24. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Here is the trailer as it is on the website.

You're looking forward to Transformers 3? I'm just gonna stand over there.

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh, hai, Jen. Long time no see. :D :cool:

Oh! I think I know which film you're talking about. My friends in Child and Youth Studies (CHYS from now on, because it's annoying to write out :p ) have a professor who loves deconstructing Disney with his "DISNEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL THINGS EVIL IN PEOPLE THESE DAYS [face_frustrated] LET'S KILL IT AND POKE IT WITH A STICK! " point of view. My housemate was appalled - she loves Disney and it was all I heard about for almost the entire month. I think half the CHYS students (a department mostly made up of Bachelor of Education students, which coincidentally is also almost all female and grew up on Disney Princess stuff) wanted to go on strike after their two weeks of "Disney Is Bad For You". It happened right around Hallowe'en as well: strange that there were so many Disney princesses that year. [face_thinking] 8-}

I think it's more of a "they're taking deconstruction way too far" kind of thing. Just like how most anti-Twilighters (myself included, in the past, but mostly now I just like to take the mickey out of it instead of going "see? This is why it is bad") is single-handedly reversing everything femininity has accomplished - ever. I'm pretty sure Meyer never intended for Twilight to be what it has become, it Just Happened and was a very, very, very bad case of huge Unfortunate Implications (... and bad writing and storytelling, sorry people who might like it).

Anyway.

Marshmallows: Big NAY. Never liked them, never will like them. They're fun to catch on fire, though. [face_batting]

Movies: I haven't seen a movie in a movie theatre in a very long time. The past three films that I've seen bored me to death and I don't feel like paying good money for crappy seats in a crappy movie theatre (the places around my hometown and university town suck 8-} ) for films where I get bored, especially when said money could be used for a) going to see really, really good professional theatre that's unusual and engaging and b) paying for summer acting workshops (less than a week till my first one! Yipee!).

I don't know what it is, but over the past year I've been less and less captivated and engaged by movies and more by TV shows - and anime. [face_thinking]

That said, I am looking forward to two films this year: HP7 and Narnia. But I'm looking forward to them in the way that The Fan is obligated to look forward to them. I just hope I find the switch to my critic button before them, because I've been on full critic mode ever since the start of last school year and haven't been able to stop. The lack off an off-switch to the critic button totally ruined whatever awesome experience I could have had when I saw Avatar. This is what drama class does to you. *headdesk* Curse you, school, you've re-wired my brain and now there's no such thing as entertainment! :_| [face_laugh] 8-}

In all honesty, I haven't totally adored a film I saw in theatres since Return of the King came out. ... It's been a while. [face_laugh]