main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Hi guys. :) Is jealous of cat cuddles. [face_love] I am striving to continue my fic but I've hit an unavoidable complication and am rather stuck. :(

2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    That feeling is one of the worst.[face_coffee]

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    *Sips coffee* Thanks, Pronker. Yes, Cushy is rather glum. I fear it will result in pissing off my readers in one of two ways depending on what I do next.

4. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    *ulps* Sometimes that cannot be helped.[face_thinking] There are some fallbacks, like ... 'it was all a dream' sequence? feverish delusions? dramatic pullback to reveal an alien who was watching the whole plot unfold all the time? wrap up everything in a quick epilogue?[face_worried]

5. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    True but I really didn't intend to do what I'm now faced with it likely will be a CD or abandoning the tale.

6. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    What's a CD?

7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Character Death

8. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I see. It sounds like this is maybe farther into dark! fic than what was outlined. [face_shhh]

9. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I have been striving to have a positive fic but with struggles and trials. I still intend to focus on what I said representing Chris/Peter's bond through their characters but I also desired it to be a finale to Star Wars of sorts as well.

The Vanguard and pronker like this.
  10. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Interesting. Keep up the positivity is what I'd regularly say but a finale can't help, well, being somewhat grim and final.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Idrelle_Miocovani - hello! Best of luck with all those projects and hope you can and do get back to writing. @};- [face_batting]

I am so chuffed with recent news regarding new canon ergo that one of the absolute unquestionably brill! authors of Legends will be re-canonizing one of his awesome characters. Doubtless it will have New Canon spin/details but still be recognizable as .... =P~ yayness,
    Zahn bringing us Thrawn again
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Cushing's Admirer - bummer about the plot corner you've written into :oops: What I like is a close that could lead to more than one conclusion -- for instance, an escape pod leaves a ship right before it explodes so you hope/believe the character got away safely. Or the characters make a gracious exit, LOL "I'm leaving this political rodent race for good this time." So they could go to some peaceful world and have a happy serene ending :) :)

Or you could write 2 epilogues with vastly different endings and your readers could pick the one they like most [face_laugh]

:cool:

Mira_Jade , Sith-I-5, Tarsier and 3 others like this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    The one I am aiming for is bittersweet but fitting.

13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Good to see this thread active again.

Hello everyone.

*Adds CD to acronym lexicon*

I have too many fics stalled because I worry about reader reaction. Maybe I should just write the **** things, and worry about them afterwards.

Idrelle_Miocovani and pronker like this.
  14. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, it was wonderful to log on and find this thread active again! Hello, all!

Cushing's Admirer - I think it is possible for a story to end in death but still have a positive message; or, at least, a satisfying one - or, a powerful one, even. Just look at Shakespeare. :p In the end, it honestly comes down to what you want to write. If it feels right to you, then go for it; don't worry about what your readers will think. Writing is all about self-expression, pure and simple. Or, I love @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha's suggestion. Leaving open ended/ambiguous endings can help an author out of many corners, and I am sure that, either way, you will find the right ending for your story. :)

Idrelle_Miocovani - [:D][face_dancing][face_love][:D] - That was a cyber-glomp if you didn't know. ;) How has your summer/year been treating you? :D

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Mira_Jade Thank you for the encouragement. :) The tale is not over. However, a certain 'era' is and it's been an emotional journey wrapping it up.

pronker likes this.
  16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Cushing's Admirer - I find sometimes a story will naturally lean towards character death as a finale, no matter how hard I try to fight it. I think if you go with your gut instinct, you'll get over the hurdle you're stuck on. Good luck finishing your fic! :)

Mira_Jade - Thank you for the cyberglomp!! :D I'm doing great - recently finished my MFA, just finished working on a theatre show that had an off-West End run in London last week, now finally getting around to having a holiday haha :p . And trying to decide what fandom I want to write my first fanfic in a couple years in! Gahh! 8-} Any suggestions for a fandom? If I don't know it, then I'll go watch/read it and hopefully the muse comes up with something!

Sith-I-5 - Not sure if this helps, but with my plays (or any story, really, fan fic or no), I have to focus on writing the best play I can, and then worry about audience reaction later. You can never guess how an audience is going to react, so it's pointless to worry too much a variable you can't control. I try to write with my heart and my gut instinct, then learn what I can from the way the story is received and try to apply those things into my next revision/chapter/story/what-have-you.

Mira_Jade , Sith-I-5 and pronker like this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Idrelle_Miocovani - thank you for advice and encouragement.

I used the shift in attitude already to add 391 words to a fic that was stalled because of the reader reaction worry problem, and I hope to free up probably two more fics with this new freedom of expression.

:)

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Sith-I-5 - That's wonderful to hear! If they are for NSWFF, you know that we can't wait to read them. [face_batting] [face_dancing]

Idrelle_Miocovani - And a holiday you most certainly deserve after the whirlwind the last few years have proven to be! (Especially if there is fic-writing involved, it has been much too long!) I personally vote *cough* Hamilton */cough*. But you know that my mind is stuck in a Mr. Miranda shaped rut right now. ;) [face_love] Outside of that, I am curious as to what has been tickling your muse as of late. The http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-nswff-prompt-thread-new-prompt-up-7-16.50017923/]NSWFF[/url] Prompt Thread is still in full swing if you are looking for bite-sized nuggets of inspiration. :D

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Mira_Jade -- Cool, cool! I will try to whip off something Hamilton related this week. I wrote 8 pages of a Dragon Age: Inquisition fan fic last night (still working on it -- it started spiralling into multiple sections :oops: ), so I'm hoping to get that done either today or tomorrow once I decide what I want to do with it. I haven't written prose in over a year, so it was SO NICE to get back to that. I love theatre and I love my job, but plays are so specific in their format that you miss out on the wonderful things you can do with story writing. I missed playing with the narrative voice!

But... I still have edits to do on two of my plays that are doing fairly well right now (my full length work has interest from an artistic director in Calgary, so we'll see where that goes) so I can't get completely distracted. My playwright's muse is incredibly tickled by historical drama right now, so I have a new play in the works about Julie d'Aubigny (a 17th century French swordswoman and opera singer -- wikipedia her, her life is wild). Now that I'm on break, I have several weeks to write as much or as little as I want without any pressure from deadlines, so it's nice. Writing can be fun again. yipeee. 8-}

Mira_Jade , pronker and Sith-I-5 like this.
  20. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_hypnotized] I think that I may have a new historical girl crush, I'm just saying. Wow! What an interesting basis for a play that is! [face_dancing]

For now, enjoy the time off and the freedom you have with your writing! That must be a wonderful feeling, I can well imagine.

(And, also? Hamilton fic? By you? Forgive me while I just evaporate into a mess of grins. ;) :D [:D])

Ava G. likes this.
  21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Mira_Jade I am waaayyy too into historical drama right now. Half my new play ideas take place in the 17th or 18th centuries (which are the centuries I know best when it comes to English and French history). If anything, it gives me plenty of material to chew over for the next few years [face_laugh]

(I'm hoping to speed-write something tomorrow. I have "Burn" running through my head, so maybe something related to that. Eliza is my fav. [face_love] And I kind of want to do something angsty. [face_laugh] )

Ava G. likes this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
  23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Oooh boy, FINALLY got consistent internet back after a move. I tried to keep up with things on my phone, but I don't have the best data plan in the world. :p

How's the Archer-themed Star Trek fic going, Sith-I-5?

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Good that you have internet back. You really miss it when you don't have it.

Got a host of fics on the go, and I am trying to add a couple hundred words to them at a time. For the Archer one, the next scene I am thinking through how to do, is the equivalent of Archer shooting a projectile that ricochet's around to hit an apparently absent Brett (fellow ISIS employee), and have Brett shout his usual refrain.

Seen a couple of Youtube vids featuring Kreiger's second Japanese waifu hologram, and thinking about incorporating her voice into the replicator, if Archer gets his projectile weapon that way, since, far as I know anyway, phasers don't ricochet.

25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Sith-I-5

I only know Archer in premise, but I am only too happy to see another Trek tale added to the ranks! It already sounds like a whole heap of fun when you are ready to share. :D

And welcome back again, Idri! ;) Moving can be the worst when it comes to keeping up on things! I think we all can attest to similar experiences. :oops:

Not to cue the delayed reaction, or anything - I had family in town this weekend from Florida, and we were doing all sorts of tourist-y things around Detroit, which unfortunately cramped my online time. We got to go to a college football game at the Big House in Ann Arbor, though, which was a special occasion since my aunt and uncle are Central Florida alumni - the team we played on Saturday - and Michigan thoroughly trounced them. We were one of the few pockets of Wolverine fans sitting amongst the Knight's ticket section, so there was quite a bit of trash-talking and fun times. It was great. :p

Anyway, how's everyone's back to school time of year faring? Is anyone else thoroughly ready for the fall?