main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Sith-I-5 Sounds fun! I really need to watch more Archer... I've only seen a couple episodes, back when it first started.

Mira_Jade Hahaha, awesome about the football game! :cool: Moving is kinda horrible. Worst part was that my partner and I bought internet for our new apartment and it took a week and a half for them to send it to us. I know it's the start of the school year and so many students are moving in, but come on... :rolleyes:

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I look forward to getting multiple reviews on something, however, don't get your hopes too high.

I have also been alerted to a month's deadline on a fanon challenge fic for the other forum, so will be focussing my efforts there for now,

3. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Anyone here watch the SyFy tv series Dark Matter? I really liked the first season, but the second season isn't making me very happy.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Tarsier OMG YES! I watched the first season with my partner a couple months ago. I started the second season last month but didn't get too far. While I appreciate the creators wanting to abandon the "leave a lot of mystery to be solved" thing (ala LOST) behind, I feel like the pacing is kind of... wonky. Like mysteries get solved way too quickly. I feel like they could slow down a little bit so they could actually concentrate on developing their characters instead of just having surface level stuff... and then more surface level stuff... and then MORE surface level stuff... What do you think?

Sith-I-5 Something I've noticed in the past couple years (not necessarily on this site, but definitely on the major fan fiction sites like ff.net and ao3) is that readers are becoming less and less inclined to comment or leave reviews. A03's kudos system offers an alternative to leaving reviews, but even then... it's kind of like a lot of people find it too troublesome to leave a note. I dunno.

Tarsier and pronker like this.
  5. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Idrelle_Miocovani Yay, someone else who knows the show! I pretty much agree, although I'm most unhappy about...
    ...killing off One. What the heck? I thought he was like the main character, with so much potential to explore. But it seemed like the writers just got tired of him, suddenly? I don't know, just seemed like a weird decision. (You can probably guess, he's one of my favorite characters.)

Also, "upgraded" Android is kinda creeping me out. I definitely prefer her first season persona.

And then the new characters aren't doing much for me. Basically a clone of Two. And then the criminal/medic who's addicted to prescription drugs (how original!) - somebody thought that was a more compelling story than the businessman trying to fit in with mercenaries without compromising his morals? (Okay, mostly I'm just bitter about One.)
    As for the pacing (I've only seen the first five episodes of Season Two) - I think the show has always moved at a really brisk pace (borderline too brisk) and that's definitely carried over into the second season. I agree the second season seems like a good time to slow down really delve into characters and relationships, but instead the show just constantly adds and subtracts characters (instead of picking a few to focus on) and as you said, comes up with crazy problems to be quickly solved, always keeping it very shallow. So overall, I guess I feel it's just disappointing - wasting its potential.

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Tarsier

Oh, I know...It was such a strange decision. And it made very little narrative sense--One was built up to be either the protagonist or the deuteragonist with Two. His narrative arc was just starting to get going (especially after he found out about his past/his wife's murder, and then...He's gone? Done? It was extremely unsatisfying. I stopped watching since I was having a hard time getting used to the new characters. The original cast was large and I feel like I don't know them well enough, and now we have even more new people, someone of whom feel like repeats? I don't get it.

I agree that the pacing is borderline too brisk. It's kind of strange, since I've never seen that in a TV show anywhere. It did have a lot of potential--I know it's opposite to what the creator wanted to do, but I think the whole original mystery of "we don't know our identities and we're stuck on a ship" could have lasted an entire season instead of... half the pilot episode.

(I do appreciate that it has ties to Stargate though... I laughed when David Hewlett showed up and could barely contain my glee. Same thing happened when Wil Wheaton showed up.)

7. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    I feel like there is trend in tv towards a faster and faster pace, although I think Dark Matter is probably the fastest I've seen.
    Yeah, perhaps that should have been a warning to me. I both love and hate Stargate. I remember thoroughly enjoying the first seasons of SG-1 when it was on the air, but I recently tried to rewatch it from the beginning and I just didn't think the first few episodes were very good. I'm sure there are still episodes I would enjoy, I just need to find them. Then there's Atlantis - the first two or three seasons are among my favorite tv shows ever, but at some point things just went so far downhill. They kept killing my favorite characters and replacing them with characters I can't stand. And both SG-1 and Atlantis had this maddening tendency to go to great lengths to bring a dead character back to life... just to kill them again by the end of the episode. I swear sometimes it felt like the writers were just trying to make me angry.... But anyway, I also really enjoyed seeing David Hewlett (and Torri Higginson!) on Dark Matter. I wish those characters would get more screen time.

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I think that's a trend almost everywhere... movies are getting slowly shorter (except when someone really insists on putting out a 3 hour epic), theatre is definitely focused on shorter work (it's hard to get anything over the 75 min mark produced these days, unless you're a big Broadway musical or Harry Potter and the Cursed Child). It's like art everywhere is focused on producing things more and more concisely out of fear of losing their audience to a competitor, but concise does not necessarily equal well-written or well-executed.

I couldn't watch the early seasons of SG-1, so I didn't really get into the later seasons. My Stargate heart lies with Atlantis. There are some real quality episodes there (like "Sunday", which is then ruined by the Beckett clone showing up later...). I can understand--from a production standpoint--the draw of bringing fan favourite characters back from the dead so the fans can enjoy more of them, but there's a point where it either becomes ridiculous or just ruins the narrative that was already established (*cough*Supernatural*cough*).

((I totally forgot about Torri Higginson being on Dark Matter, but that's right! (Which is strange, because I remember when we watched her first episode, my partner literally shouted "TORRI HIGGINSON!!"). ))

9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooh, for a moment I was totally on board with finding a new show. I am so sorry that Dark Matter is taking a turn south for you guys. There's nothing worse than when an interesting plotline wastes its potential. :(

But, this:

I couldn't agree with that more. Most movies I leave, as of late, leave me with a headache from all of the action, and am just scratching me head, going: where was the plot? Where was the dialogue? Where was the character development? As of late, any in depth plot or touching story seems to be shelved for more explosions! and gratuitous CGI, more often than not. Even outside the action genre, movies seem to be so far in the realm of ridiculous/over the top that it's hard just to find a simply good story. It's as if writers/producers nowadays are so focused on 'shock and awe' to keep an audience's attention that good, old fashioned story telling is becoming fewer and farther between. Or, maybe, I've just had a bad run with entertainment lately. And I'm bitter. There's always that. ;) But, anyway, there's definitely an interesting correlation about entertainment and society as a whole waiting there. :p [face_thinking]

10. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Mira_Jade I still think the first season of Dark Matter is worth watching. There's clearly more story to be told at then end of the season, but I wouldn't say it ends on a cliffhanger or anything. A lot of questions are answered in the first season, and there's a big mystery starting from the first episode that I think is satisfyingly resolved in the last few seconds of the season finale. (And I wouldn't worry too much about the blistering pace - if you like TURN, I don't think Dark Matter moves too much faster than that show, and Dark Matter has fewer characters and less complicated plots (in my opinion anyway, YMMV of course).) Then after Season One, you can make up your own continuation, look to fanfic, or start Season Two expecting to be disappointed - maybe you'll be surprised and like it more than we did! :)

Mira_Jade likes this.
  11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    But Mira, explosions are PRETTY! [face_hypnotized]

The industry is extremely competitive, and that competition ends up feeling like producers all want to make the same story, with the same characters, just bigger and better than other producers making the same story, with the same characters... When something dares to actually break the status quo, that's when I get interested. Doesn't matter if it's low-budget, got cancelled too early, or whatever. Do something different from the mainstream and I am there for that.

There's a lot of pressure to give up the story you want to write in favour of the story that you/your producers think will sell best and get the most bums in seats (or views on Netflix and such). And try however hard you might, those works will always pale in comparison to those that are free themselves from that mentality (look at Deadpool, which is now my favourite superhero movie because it was so different and unexpected though they had massive budget cuts, they just went for it, regardless of what they thought audiences wanted. And it was awesome.)

Maybe you've had a bad run with entertainment, but if so, then I feel like I have too. :p I've been having a bad run with theatre, too. When I was in London, most of the shows I saw (even at places like the National Theatre and Shakespeare's Globe) were really good, but they were really good in the expected way. Nothing was mindblowing. And then there was the crappiest show I have ever seen in my life, that somehow got a full month production in London because the playwright had good connections for funding. :rolleyes: (It was a weird story inspired by real events happening to refugees, but it was set in a post-apocalyptic Europe and the refugees were British and the US had burnt down and the UK had fractured into right-wing militant Christian kingdoms and mainland Europe was using British refugees as sex slaves--it was weird. It was so freakin' WEIRD, BELIEVE ME). And don't even get me started on Cursed Child. Makes things like Hamilton a fresh breath of air (I swear, we're not going to see something so sophisticated in the theatre for a real long time...)

I agree with Tarsier about the first season of Dark Matter. It is really interesting, even if it doesn't live up to its full potential--it is worth a watch if you're looking for something new!

laurethiel1138 and Mira_Jade like this.
  12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Awesome! I will add it to my watch-list. I always catch up on shows during my down time in the winter season, so that I look forward to that.

And it's so funny you should mention TURN for pacing. (A few sentences turned into a mini-rant, so here I go.)

That show is such a problematic fave for me - when it's awesome, it's awesome, but there are so many times when the writers just veer down directions that have me wanting to hit my head against a wall. I love the non-fiction book the show is based on, and while I understand veering away from history for story-telling purposes, a lot of real history - real, *interesting* history - was ignored in favor of smut and truly nonsensical plotlines. While I was pleasantly surprised by things like Hewlett/Anna, and I enjoyed the total bastardization of poor real-life!Simcoe for Samuel Roukin's delightful sadism - I could have done without a good 70% of the Abe/Anna love triangle/square, and I could have definitely done without another 70% of John Andre's ridiculous sex life (especially when not furthering the plot). That goes double for how they handled Peggy Shippen/Benedict Arnold (especially in the bedroom). And don't even get me started on the Sarah Livingston mess. (One: if you are going to name her Sarah Livingston, you could have had THE Sarah Livingston Jay make a cameo with all of her awesomeness during the war. Two: why did you take Caleb's RL, how-he-actually-met-his-wife, story, and instead give it to *Ben*, just so we could have pretty-boy sex and her later near-rape and murder to give him man-pain? Ugh, I am so done with sexual assault being sprinkled into plots all willy-nilly, especially when it's added just to give a man reason to angst, and I was fuming so often during her story.)

BUT, I am getting away from my point. In S3, I'm not sure if you noticed, they even stopped giving you dates on the episodes, because they raced through history to make it to John Andre's execution at the end of the season. His execution itself was fantastic writing - I mean, wow! - which is why I didn't understand the rushed pacing to get to that point!! You could have done so much more with the Andre/Peggy/Arnold dynamic. Heck, I'm shocked they sped through so fast that Peggy didn't have time to give birth to her firstborn child by the time of his death, and thus depriving the audience of playing the 'who's the father?' game . . . which actually has some historical basis this time. :oops:

And, I mean, I suppose that I understand writers being strapped for time in a ten-episode-framework, and giving into studio pressure for content. BUT, if you need to cram your writing into such a small box, *make your scenes count* - don't waste time on John Andre's Peggy-Shippen-sex-double, or poorly handled Sarah Livingston plots. Use your history, and focus on solid writing. Because the show writers outrightly cut, or simply blew through, so many things that they could have used instead of the crap moments they chose instead. But, I suppose, that's prime-time American cable TV for you; maybe I'm asking too much. Because when the writers *do* keep to history - or simply just stories about ordinary people doing amazing things in war-time conditions for their beliefs, is when the show really shines. Also, thanks to the show, a lot of characters who are never thought of as 'Founding Fathers' - or mothers ;) - get a chance to really strut their stuff. I'm glad the Culper Ring is getting a closer look by modern audiences - except for, maybe, poor sweet real-life!Abraham Woodhall, whom I imagine would be horrified by his more 'interesting' Hollywood double. :p But, I love, love, *love* everything that is Benjamin and Caleb, and Ian Kahn's George Washington is pretty much exactly how I imagine him to be when reading about him. Then, characters like Abigail, Akinbode, and dear, *dear* Billy Lee are given great African American voices during the war, which is so sorely needed! America, although it has been nauseatingly horrible with its prejudices, was a country built by *all* races, and that needs to be remembered! (Heck, we need *more*, though! Where are the Mulligans?? And that includes the amazing *Mrs.* Elizabeth Mulligan and slave Cato - every American schoolkid should know about Cato's spywork and eventual emancipation! Which I firmly believed happened, btw, but that's another rant.) While the show could definitely use more of the numerous ladies who were so incredibly fantastic during the war, we do get great performances from Anna Strong, Mary Woodhall, and even Peggy Shippen, in her own way, and I love it when the writers choose to concentrate on those high points. So, I suppose that is my tiff with entertainment in general: I want less smut and pointless plotlines that make you want to bang your head against the wall, and more good characterization and *story-telling*. It shouldn't be a difficult equation.

Whew. I feel better for getting that off my chest. :p

In moderation, yes!! [face_laugh][face_laugh] Aaah, I feel like an old, grumpy grandma with entertainment lately. :p

That, I couldn't agree more with! It's the business of entertainment that is just impossible to deal with; the writers are still there, I firmly believe - just look at the rockstars we have writing fanfiction - but they aren't able to just write without a studio hacking, slashing, and outrightly demanding something different. As a result, we have a lot of the same old, same old. At this point, I don't even mind if it's a familiar plot done for the umpteenth time again, just do it well. There's some truth to 'there being nothing new under the sun', but that doesn't mean you can give up on the basic staples of good characterizations, world-building, and plotting in the meantime. It just frustrates me. :oops:

And yet, then you have gems like Hamilton, who just break all of the rules, burst through all of the barriers, and are just so stinking good that you believe in the wonder of story-telling again. Just . . . thank-you, Lin-Manuel Miranda, for everything. ;)

But, I want to end this rant on a positive note. I've had a great run with period dramas lately, so that's something uplifting to share. BBC's Poldark has been so much fun, and a really faithful adaptation to the spirit of the books its based on! And I finally got caught up on the period-romance meets epic murder-mystery from Spain called Gran Hotel on Netflix. Wow, was that good! So pretty, so plotty, so delightfully over the top, with so many great characters - all good and bad and everything in between! I highly recommend it. [face_hypnotized]

. . . and I finally jumped on the bandwagon with Netflix's Stranger Things, and finished it last week. So . . . that was an unexpected delight that completely ruined my ability to do anything productive for a few days. It was very The Goonies meets Alien, with so much awesome 80's camp sprinkled on top. I was fully hooked the whole way through, and thoroughly impressed by Netflix's production values as I went. Really - I was pleasantly surprised, in the best of ways. It's even moved me to want to write - which is wonderful, since my muse has been soooo lethargic this summer, what with the vice-grip DRL has had on my energy and all that. So, that's something to look forward! :cool:

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    It's OK. Embrace your grumpiness. It's what I have to do, otherwise I'd have to go live under and rock. :p I saw a production of Spamalot last week and grumped straight through it (my partner politely told me to stop trying to analyze it, but it's so hard to turn off the grad school brain once it's been flicked on!).

It's the concept of "well, that specific way of doing it before worked out really well (i.e. made us a lot of money), so let's do it again". The idea of there's nothing new under the sun is interesting--what I've found (especially after teaching a writing class) is that there are only so many general set-ups, but if every writer tackles it in their own way, instead of trying to imitate someone else's way because it "worked", it is going to end up being unique because only you can write your story the way you want. The set-up for Harry Potter isn't too unique, but you can't say that there's another Harry Potter out there.

Oooh! Poldark! I've seen a lot of gifsets of it on my tumblr dash. Haven't had the time to look it up (I've also been meaning to watch Vikings for a very long time now...), but I'll put it on my list. My partner is taking some time off, so we're looking for new things to watch together. I've already suggested Stranger Things since I haven't seen it yet!

Has anyone seen Galavant? (Basically fantasy musical comedy that snarkily pokes fun at fantasy tropes and has music written by Alan Menken!)

Mira_Jade likes this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Despite it muscling in front of the ST/Archer project, and a fic dead lined for 19 days time, as well as causing me to fall asleep at the keyboard, leaving me with a bad back; I am pleased as punch to have gotten a Necroscope update done.

:D

Mira_Jade and pronker like this.
  15. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Mira_Jade Oh, TURN. (I just quickly skimmed your comments because I haven't started Season 3 yet - sounds like maybe Season 3 takes a turn for the worse?) It's just so darn entertaining, it's hard to stop watching once you start. I'm not a history buff, and I'm holding off on reading the book, so I try to view it as purely historical fiction. Once I get through Season 3 I'm going to read the book and try to sort fact from fiction, but in the meantime I'm mostly just enjoying the ride. (Though I completely agree with you that it would be nice if they would stick to at least the interesting parts of history.) And since you mention Simcoe - I assume the historical figure was not much like the character. (That character...I could go about him for a long time, except that I don't even know where to start.) My dad thinks that one of the writers must just really hate Toronto. :p

Mira_Jade likes this.
  16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh]:oops: John Graves Simcoe; I have such a twisted affection for his awful representation on the show. He's just . . . so much fun to hate. In real life he wasn't nearly that bad - like your dad said [face_laugh], and actually did a lot of good things for Canada - such as passing an anti-slavery act during his time as Governor. He then tried to make London the capitol, complete with river Thames and all, and instead got the wheels going on building 'York', which is now Toronto, when the legislature disagreed with his initial choice. He did all of that with his wife, Elizabeth, by his side, along with however many of their seven living children they could ferry over the ocean from England and raise on the move at once; his wife even sketched city-plans while roughing it to preview the sites in the wild - my kind of woman! He did all of that with the Queen's Rangers still in tow and serving him. Yep, he was that awesome. My sister and I got to visit London to see one of Idrelle_Miocovani 's fantastic plays, at that - shameless plug, there ;) - and there was a park and everything dedicated to Simcoe that we walked through and took ridiculous pictures of. My sister saluted the monument with a hearty, 'long live Simcoe!' that she repeated at every chance she could. It was awesome. :p Now that I've reached the end of my knowledge on Canadian history -

(And, my favourite random Simcoe fun-fact: can we talk about the fact that Simcoe wrote Sally Townsend - Robert Townsend's sister - a Valentines Day card that is the oldest known one preserved in America? He actually wrote poetry. To a sister of the Culper Ring, no less. That's historically accurate. Kill me. [face_laugh])

But, yeah, I fully adore TURN - when it hits its stride, it's one of my absolute favourites, which is why, I think, it presses my buttons so when the writers are stupid. I expect more when knowing how brilliant they can be. ;) (And I do hope that I didn't spoil you terribly! Yes, S3 is certainly a rollercoaster, but I think you'll enjoy it . . . warts and all. :p)

That is the best way to put it, hands down. The bare-bones of Harry Potter, and, say, Luke Skywalker's plotline are much the same - but Star Wars and Harry Potter are worlds apart. Art should always be an individual reflection of the writer, and I suppose that I just miss seeing more of that? Ah, let the grumpy grandma-ness ensue! :p

Yes, Poldark!! So moody and pretty and fantastic. And the books they're based on are great too. [face_mischief]

And . . . Vikings. Oh, where to even begin? Personally, I loved the first season - the characters were fantastic, even when they gave only a passing glance at history and the sagas. The setting and the tone they were able to strike was full of wonderful ambiance, and it was gorgeous to look at in a very dark, primitive way. The Athelstan and Ragnar dynamic - with a Viking Jarl and a stolen monk from England who works his way up from slave to trusted retainer - is just the best, and their friendship kills me. It's honestly one of my favourites in fiction. And then there's Lagertha. Every girl should want to be Lagertha when she grows up; I know I do. :p It's only that the writing goes soooo downhill from there. S2 is so-so, but S3 . . . the writing is based on 'what is the most shocking/gory/insert-I-want-to-be-like-Game-of-Thrones-adjective here - and it was cringe worthy to watch. That same thread continued into S4 to the point where I couldn't even finish it because it was so outlandish and ridiculous - by then I had a hard time seeing an overall plot, and I definitely couldn't recognize any of the characters I fell in love with in the beginning. It was a sad, sad deterioration to witness. :( But, the beginning was awesome, and totally worth the watch, IMHO. :p

And Stanger Things; yes, waaaaatch it. Something tells me you'll love it!! [face_batting]

I've seen episodes here and there and plenty of gifsets, but I am just now making my way through the show proper since Netflix added it, and oh my goodness, I am dying. [face_laugh][face_laugh] The songs, the ridiculous plot, the fantastically wry dialogue. I am thoroughly enjoying myself, that's for sure. :p

Tarsier likes this.
  17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Tarsier I wouldn't blame the writers if one of them hated Toronto. Everyone hates Toronto. Except for Torontonians. :p

Mira_Jade Oh, so THAT'S what you did before the show. :p (London's an interesting town--it's kind of cute and has some interesting stuff, but I just find it mildly unimpressive because I grew up in the area so therefore it's automatically "boring"). [face_laugh] Simcoe's interesting. He named a lake after his dad. :p Still, I'd take him over General Isaac Brock any day (if anyone says a word about the War of 1812, I will SCREAM--side effect of living the Niagara area during the bicentennial, everyone was War of 1812 obsessed :mad:I had to make art and drama about it for work).

Now I want to watch TURN, regardless of the quality... [face_laugh]

I think we've had this Vikings conversation before? I'm getting deja-vu. Sucks about the later seasons. I mostly want to watch for Lagertha, she looks awesome. :cool:

It's good you've watched Galavant! It's cancelled now, but apparently Netflix says they will fund a third season or a movie if it gets enough views. I love the second season, particularly with how salty they were that they didn't get any Emmy noms for the original music in season one. So they did primarily parodies of famous songs from musicals (my favourites are Sid's Les Mis-inspired song, and the time Galavant parodied "Kiss the Girl", because Alan Menken is the composer and wrote it to make fun of himself 8-} ).

Mira_Jade likes this.
  18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Idrelle_Miocovani - Oh, TURN is definitely worth the watch - its highs mostly outweigh its lows, and it's just good fun, mostly. And Simcoe . . . Simcoe, he's such a fun sadist to watch in AMC's interpretation, that's for sure. :p London was a cute town, and we had fun visiting! But I understand about proximity sometimes creating mediocrity in one's mind. ;)

And a lake named after his dad? I did not know that, but that's a great fun-fact to add to my arsenal. Fantastic. :p I do remember your 1812 rants, however, and I have to express all of my sympathies again. ;) [:D]

And oh, Lagertha . . . she's the epitome of awesome, it's true! Some of the episodes are definitely worth slugging through for her alone. [face_love]

I heard that Galavant was canceled, but that would be awesome if Netflix picked it up!! I love when they do that with the shows that the networks get impatient with. So far, the production value of their shows has pleasantly surprised me, and now I have a bonus reason to get all caught up. Especially to those two songs - I was dying listening through them, especially Kiss the Girl, for Alan Menken self-deprecating cheek. Seriously, what a great sense of humor that man has. [face_laugh] :p

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Mira_Jade Yes! He named a lake after his dad. Lake Simcoe. How original. :p Mind you, it already had a name before that (Lake Toronto, but the Huron name is Ouentironk). It's actually a pretty nice lake, but it kind of gets overshadowed by the fact that it's near Lake Huron.

I want Lagertha's hair. End of story. 8-}

So much of the TV I watch is always trying to be "dark" and "serious" and "gritty", it's nice to have a break and go into a campy fantasy trope-filled world. And even though all the characters are pretty much one-dimensional on purpose, there's a lot of heart and quite a few meaningful relationships and friendships (I love Richard's development in season 2).

Oh! And just started watching Stranger Things. I got to episode 5 before falling asleep last night. It's sooooo good. And the kid cast! They're honestly the best thing and extremely talented.

20. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Idrelle_Miocovani - Stranger Things, aaaaaaah, don't I know it! I was so stinking impressed by those kids - by all of the age groups, really, but the kids in particular. It's honestly one of my favourite subversions of the 'kids save the world' trope, truth be told - they were still awesome and brave and brilliant, but, in the end, all of the separate plotlines for the characters came together so perfectly. I couldn't even handle it. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed it! :D [face_dancing]

And, I finished Galavant this week. My sister sped beyond me and finished it practically overnight, which led to her tauntingly singing the songs I did not yet know. It took me a bit longer to catch up, but catch up I did, and oh my goodness, but that was a riotous amount of fun! So many tropes! And fantasy throwbacks! And musical throwbacks! And that's not even mentioning the completely brilliant irreverence for the fourth wall. I was thoroughly entertained, even through my wincing - well, perhaps, especially because of the wincing, truth be told. :p Just . . . Richard's whole redemption arc . . . and Tad Cooper. Just - enough said there! I thank you for the excellent recommendation - I needed that in my life! [face_laugh][:D]

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Mira_Jade Someone pointed out that all of the groupings of main characters are in their own genre (the kids are in sci-fi/fantasy, Nancy and Jonathan are in highschool horror, Joyce and Hopper are in a police drama/mystery) and that the true mystery can't be solved/dealt with until all of the different groups come together. It was really fascinating structure and execution. And everyone was so spot on. The kids did a radio interview a while ago and apparently Daniel Radcliffe told them how much he liked the show and how he thought they were all better actors than he was when he was their age and Millie Bobby Brown basically went, "But... you... you're Harry Potter." [face_laugh]

Anyway, yeah. Stranger Things. [face_love] It's my favourite TV show of this year. I don't know what Netflix is doing, but whatever it is, it's working really really well. :p

And YAAAASSS Galavant! All the things you've said is exactly why I love it so much. Just... everything about season 2 is fantastic.

I also love how you have Madalena and Gareth, two of the most one-dimensional characters on the show (in a show where everyone is kind of one-dimensional on purpose and it works so so well), end up together? And it works? Really well? Gahh, I just want to see Gareth and Sid go rescue Madalena from herself!

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I need to watch some Archer to regain the Doctor Kreiger vibes; my attempts to continue the fic are stalling in the absence of it.

23. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    FanficIndex Chyntuck Thanks so much for the NSWFF Index!! It looks awesome! It's so great to have an index. I really, really appreciate all your effort. :)

Mira_Jade , pronker and Chyntuck like this.
  24. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Tarsier You're very welcome :) I started working on it exactly one year ago and I'm sorry it took all this time, but you know, 2016 happened. Now I need to start reviewing all the great stories I read while indexing!

Mira_Jade and pronker like this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Chyntuck

Excellent work and thoroughness. After seeing you talk about it in the other forum, I certainly was not expecting to see you over here!

Mira_Jade and Chyntuck like this.