main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books LOTF - First Time Read Thread - No spoilers post-Invincible

Discussion in 'Literature' started by OutsiderJediSam, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Lumiya doesn't have enough physical tissue to be a successor. Recall midi chlorians(and thus the depth of force connection) is based on blood and flesh. Lumiya has lost a lot. She doesn't have the power anymore, or even necessarily the right-she was never formally inducted into the order(even she did receive training and instruction), she sees herself as passing on the legacy to someone worthy, who is not herself.

You could read that as them desiring to corrupt him, just you know for corruption's sake. Or Vergere and Lumiya saw his fixation with moral questions and willingness to argue and advocate for them-even at practical cost, showed that he had both the seriousness and devotion to an ideal they found congenial.

My go to take is Han in his heart has always been sympathetic to Corellian nationalism(for lack of a better descriptor), and now these feelings have come to the surface. That said, yeah its dumb for Leia to join him in this(at least not without serious reservation or a very very good reason).

They were. Still yeah, I think all parents even Jedi parents wouldn't want a kid Ben's age exposed to the sort of violence and ugliness that being a door kicking secret police officer entails.

Jaina blows him off, I think in Bloodlines? But yeah the whole Jaina/Zekk/Jag love triangle is just sort of played out.

Destiny975 likes this.
  2. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Have you read Bloodline and Betrayal?

Mostly yes, I agree.

But it was Thraken who killed the Hapens. I think if Anakin had fired it would have killed Han and some jedi freeing slaves. So I think that would have been worse for the galaxy and Anakin.

but yes it was a JEDI choice not a Sith.

I also don't think Lumiya or Jacen are true Sith.

adalmentia and Riv_Shiel like this.
  3. Destiny975

Destiny975 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 18, 2021
    Betrayal, yes. Bloodlines, no.
    I liked the concept of Betrayal because it was interesting and different. They didn't execute it well, though. It could have been really great.
    I definitely agree.
    I suppose that makes sense. While their reasons for picking Jacen might make some sense, Jacen falling to the dark side does not.

Riv_Shiel and AusStig like this.
  4. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    @Destiny975

Do you think being in the GAG is more dangerous that going to Centrepoint with Jacen?

Destiny975 likes this.
  5. Destiny975

Jan 18, 2021
    No, but they probably should have been more concerned about that too.

6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    But jedi go into danger, and risk their lived all the time. It is one of the few constants about the order. And the other is child padawans.

So do you think no kids on missions at all?

7. Destiny975

Jan 18, 2021
    I guess that is true, and I'm not against kids on missions, so I guess it makes sense that they aren't that mad about the GAG and centerpoint thing.

What I think they should have been more wary of was Jacen.

AusStig likes this.
  8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I think it’s less that and more Ben is kicking down doors as a secret police officer. That’s a bit different from say fighting pirates in the outer rim.

Think about what the GAG does regularly-they aren’t just fighting “bad guys”, they are breaking into people’s houses and either shooting them or dragging them to interment camps.

It’s unpleasant and violent work, and something he probably shouldn’t be exposed to or participating in at that age. What if Ben has to cut down some Corellian man in front of his kids because he wouldn’t surrender, or he has to put some old Bothan lady in handcuffs and drag her to questioning as she screams.

The books don’t go too much into those details-but that is the sort of thing Ben working with the GAG would be seeing pretty much everyday.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Riv_Shiel likes this.
  9. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yes, very much so. It is a major flaw of lotF is how they treat Jacen, they go from full denial of any issue to KILL, not middle ground.

Also a narrative flaw is that the books seem to not acknowledge he was ever a good guy

Well I mean Legacy comics show the Jedi killing a Pirate in front of his child, so it's like stuff like that can't happen with pirates.

I honestly like the jedi as police officers, but yeah the interment camps are a massive step and honestly I am surprised it happened before the war.

10. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Just had a weird thought... Jacen's vision about the dark man and his fear of Luke falling to the Dark Side... what if he didn't see the future but the past and DARK EMPIRE, but thought it meant the future?

The Force shows him a warning of what his fate will be if he continous the path with Lumiya, like his uncles once in Dark Empire. But given the family kept quiet about Dark Empire and the kids never know it even happened, believing Luke near invincible, Jacen thought it is a vision of the future and was even more adamant to prevent it... just because the family never talked about it...

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Do you really think a fourteen year old should be engaging in SWAT like "knock and kick" operations? The GAG is actively repressing and killing people, sure to prevent terrorism(ostensibly), but its a different sort of violence, an uglier less morally clear sort.

Jacen and Mara both have the maturity, discipline, and understanding to be involved in such an organization, Ben however is young and still somewhat innocent.

(Of course this is well and truly lost by the end, but can you blame his parents for not wanting it gone?)

My interpretation of the dark man is he could be many potential figures-Luke, Jacen, Krayt, Ben, perhaps even someone out of left field like a fallen Kyp or Kyle.

If Jacen had prevailed, and the golden future of Allana not come to pass, he would have been the dark man, if Ben had fallen and overthrown Jacen he would be, if Luke had fallen and taken Jacen's empire he would be, and so on.

The future is always in motion, so it stands to reason possible futures were being determined by choices and events in the present.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    It likely would be distressing. But is it worse than fighting Pirates or attacking Centrepoint? Maybe don't have him go on super dangerous/high risk missions, but I think the GAG on PAPER isn't a bad thing for him to be in. We know they become a secret police force but at the start they seem like Rainbow 6.

13. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    I think the vision also included Jacen himself killing that dark Luke though...

I always felt it was just a fake created by Lumyia or Krayt. Just like I think Palpatine created Anakins visions.

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I suppose it’s possible, given Lumiya’s mastery of illusions. But it seems to me sending visions and dreams would be a very different(and much greater power) than deceiving the eyes alone.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That explanation was always baloney. I'm glad the new EU has done away with that handwaving. (Nevermind the fact that it was midichlorians per cell, not total in the body).

16. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

Jacen killing dark Luke might not have to render it "the future" though. Sure while unlikely, I thought, what if Dark Empire Luke never got redeemed, and Jacen who in Jedi Academy trilogy as a young kid defended unconscious Luke against Exar Kun's spirit, instead would have had to face his dark uncle and defend someone else unconscious? Like an alternate timeline. In Balance Point he defended a broken Leia against the Vong, too. A scenario repeating all his life with different players in the same roles. And the one time he did not jump to defend others, his brother Anakin did in Star by Star and died! It kinda is his trauma to catch the saber, defeat the villain and defend others or else they die or fall to the dark.

17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I’m not sure what the problem with it is? Works well for me. It’s definitely better that the utter stupidity of Mortis or Rey being all the Jedi.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Mortis, and the TROS climax, are also stupid.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Basically force potential requires a connection to the force through the midi chlorians.

Lose midi chlorians and your possible potential goes down.

I get that some people may dislike it for demystifying the force, but I don’t see it as demystifying the force at all, but connecting the mystical to the profane.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That was the Legends explanation. Which is thankfully ignored by the new canon. And never made sense with Darth Vader, who was definitely a Sith. I like the explanation that it's about midichlorian concentration (such as per cell), not total count. Or else Yoda's "size matters not" is wrong, along with most interpretations of the Force.

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Maybe all Star Wars is stupid and that’s why it’s great :p

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Dude, that was George Lucas' explanation, he made it explicit with Vader. So I am using the same explanation for Lumiya(who coincidentally is Vader's protege and arguable heir).

There is no other reason, no other sensible explanation in the context of Lumiya's motivations for her to not pursue the Sith mantle, except the Legends' explanation for force potential.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yes. I'm just saying it's a bad explanation. (And the Lucas explanation... not in the movies, just in DVD commentary or videos, and we know how often he changes his mind.) Though I still contend that if Vader can be a Sith, so can Lumiya.

Riv_Shiel and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Vader never reached his full potential. That's the point of the injuries, in relation to the midi chlorians, when he lost three of his limbs and burned on the lava bank, he could never achieve what he could have been.

Also why is it a bad explanation?

25. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    May I ask what you mean by stupid?

I don't like force gods, but I liked the Jedi voices for Rey.