main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [LOTR] Mithlond/The Grey Havens - For All Creatures of Eru, Great And Small

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Dantana Skywalker, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I was looking through Resource here and realised there wasn't a place for LOTR fans. So, here it is!

Let's start off with a get-to-know you. Tell us how you got into LOTR, who your favourite character(s) is/are, and all of that!

I've been a LOTR fan since the first film came out, but since then, I've read everything I could get my hands on except for "Children of Hurín". I've even read "The Silmarillion" more than once. My friends won't play LOTR Trivial Pursuit with me unless they get to go first. :( I'm obsessed with the Elves and even speak Sindarin (Not Grelvish! Grelvish is an abomination!!) and do all my own translations for my 'fics. I love all of the movies equally, but ROTK always makes me cry, when Sam and Frodo are on the mountain, and Sam says, "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!"

Dana

2. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Mae govannen!

I first read the books before the movies came out, though I had convinced myself that Frodo was going to die, so it took me a while to read RotK. [face_laugh] I adore the Silm- I actually like it better than LotR. The sheer epicness of the story and the beauty of the writing makes it all worthwhile in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I haven't read all of the Histories yet, nor Children of Hurín. Since I'm in the process of moving, I don't even have access to the ones I do own, which is a problem since I need Morgoth's Ring (specifically Laws and Customs) for a couple of fanfics I'm in the middle of writing.

You know Sindarin?! I'm trying to learn it, but I don't have the time I'd like to devote to it. Hence, I know almost nothing. What sources do you recommend? (I have the course from Gwaith and know better than to tempt the Ardalambion page right now. My knowledge of linguistics is nill.) And I agree wholeheartidly Grelvish is an abomination. Morgoth must have been the driving force behind the creation. :p

As for the movies, let's just say I have a love-hate relationship with them. I'm on the purist side, so watching some parts of them are... difficult. *cough*Elrond's character massacre*cough*Elves at Helm's Deep*cough*

My favorite character is book-verse Elrond, followed by Maglor. They both have fascinating and tragic lives, though for different reasons. I'm fascinated by the Elves in general (probably why I like the Silm better).

~ Indy

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Yay ring nuts!

I've been a fan for years. I read the Hobbit when I was younger, but didn't remember it until FotR came out. It caused me to get back on the bandwagon and reread The Hobbit and finally tackle the LotR trilogy. I somehow managed to get through the Silmarillion.

I love the movies, even though there's a bunch of stuff wrong. Being a film student helps, I guess (since I grudgingly understand why, even though I don't like a lot of it).

My favorite characters are Faramir, Tom Bombadil, and Fëanor. Even though Fëanor's a bit of a jerk, he's still awesome. :D

I've written some LotR fic (horrible, horrible stuff), but that'll stay buried in my hole of bad fan-girl fic. ;)

I don't know how or why, but I find myself more attached to LotR than Star Wars even. I know more about the Tolkien world (not cool enough to know Sindarin.. I tried, though. :p ) than SW, even though I've loved SW longer.

I'm also geeky enough to get this on my leg:

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3261/2376539582_8bf880dae6.jpg]

4. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Sindarin's hard, but not as hard as Quenya. I'm rusty on it, I need to dig my papers back out and go through them.

I have two obsessions bigger than Star Wars- No, wait, three. Supernatural, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Lord of the Rings. *facepalm* I actually have a standee of Legolas in my room. (But I also have one of Jack Sparrow, so that's okay! I have one of Luke, but he's in the closet.) I haven't gotten to the point of wanting an elvish tat, but I have made several elven dresses.

I'm such a geek that I took all the names I could find and plugged them all into "Personal Ancestral File". Did you know that Arwen and Aragorn are both second cousins 63 times removed, and third cousins 62 times removed? Yeah, that's the kind of dork I am. :p

Dana

5. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I have Legolas and Jack Sparrow as well! [face_laugh]

6. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Which Jack do you have, the red one or the "At World's End" one? As far as I know, there's only one Legolas. . . . I think Orlando Bloom is hotter as Legolas than as Will Turner.

7. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    AWE one, even though I never wanted the thing from the start. I just ended up with it and can't seem to be rid of him. :p

And yes, Orlando's hotter as Legolas. In Pirates, Kiera Knight's a more manish version of Orlando Bloom. :p

8. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Mine was a birthday present. I loves it. It's nice to have to reference bits on Jack's costume! I don't have to look it up online, just walk across the room. I do the same thing with the Legolas one. Hee.

So . . . should I post my LOTR/Princess Diaries pseudo-Mary Sue spoof 'fic?

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yes, and then PM me a link :D

I got into the movies first, since FotR came out when I was in 6th grade and just starting to get into fantasy. I love them, and I always cry at the end (when Frodo leaves and Sam comes home and says "Guess I'm home, then" or whatever). I got the books in middle school but didn't get around to reading them until this past year. I know I'm going to get rotten fruit thrown at me for saying this, but they really weren't my cup of tea. Some parts were beautiful, but some dragged. I've gotten people here (in SFFBC) to tell me what happens in the histories, but I haven't gotten around to so much as reading The Hobbit (and a friend told me not to read the appendices at the end of ROTK or I'd be really confuseed, so I didn't).

I've only read a little LotR fanfic, but I like what I've seen.

10. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    You make me feel old, I was already in college when the first one came out. :p

The fic is mostly LOTR, but the "Princess Diaries" book characters make brief appearances. I don't even know how it came to be, I just know I started writing it the weekend I had knee surgery and couldn't go anywhere. LOL.

11. Independence1776

Feb 3, 2006
    Oh, I understand why the changes were made, for much the same reason (my sister has a degree in film). But still...

Cool tattoo! Is that the Ring verse?

As for bad fanfic, well, let's just say I have a couple novel-length LotR fics that I occassionaly go back and reread. There's good ideas, but not enough to make me want to go back and rewrite. Of course, the last time I read them gave me an idea for one of my current fics, so it all works out.

I'm actually a bigger LotR geek than SW fan. The EU kind of ruined the magic of SW for me. (I like the Thrawn trilogy, the Hand of Thrawn duology, the X-wing series, and a couple random books.) But I first saw SW back in the fourth grade (I'm out of college now), so it's my first home.

The name thing: awesome! Now if only I could find something similar for who owes allegiance to who in Valinor during the Fourth Age and after (assuming all the dead are out of Mandos). I need it for a fic...

Cool on the dresses! Maybe you could help me with my next costuming project: what would a male Elf wear at the end of the First Age?

NYCitygurl, everyone's allowed their opinion. My mother read and loved them in high school, but I can't get her to touch them now. I find getting out of the Shire the worst part for me. Also, The Hobbit is a lot easier to read- it's written in a different style. The one part of the Appendices you should read is the Tale of Arwen and Aragorn. It's part v of Appendix A.

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'll give it a go, then; I love those two :) Thanks for the suggestion :)

13. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    Dear lord, I feel so traditional. My discovery of LotR was by inheritance. My parents read it, then they passed the old, old books down to me.

I remember when we heard about the LotR films being made, dad was like, "You have to finish FotR buy the time the movie comes out!" I did, I finished TTT as well.

Now, me and dad are pestering my brother to read The Hobbit before the movie hits cinemas.

So, all in all, I've read The Hobbit, FotR, TTT, and RotK three times each, and The Silmarillion once (and it hurt.)
    My elvish name is Lindethiel, seriously, I'm Lindethiel everywhere, Arwen-Undomiel.com, photobucket, youtube, everywhere except here, I wish I could change my user name, but that would be a bummer. My own fault for finding tf.n before the translation I guess.

I haven't read much LotR fanfiction, most of what I've read was a long time ago, and not all that good quality, but there are some wonderfully talented writers here, so I look forward to finding some! As for writing it myself, I don't think I'd ever measure up to Tolkien, I'm too afraid to try, lol.

I can understand why the movies are the way they are, being a film-trainee too. In my opinion, the movies are the best book adaption films I've seen. PJ did a wonderful job.

Cazz out.

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    My Sindarin name is Aewgliriel, pretty much means "sings like a bird" . . . which I do not, ha! I was too lazy to come up with a new one after I made one for my LOTR original character. Heh.

15. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I really love LOTR, and have wanted to learn Sindarin for a long time (is that even how you spell it? Oh well). When I was younger, my mom made me read the Hobbit and all three LOTR books before I could see the movies, so I'm pretty familiar with the whole saga. I have the Children of Hurin, but I've yet to read it, and I just couldn't get into the Silmarillion.

My fave character is a tie between Sam and Aragorn. They're both just so good! Aragorn is... well, he's Aragorn, what else do I need to say? :p And Sam is so sweet! Okay, enough of my gushing.

I haven't written any LOTR fanfic yet, but I want to!

16. Independence1776

Feb 3, 2006
    You're welcome!

Cazz, you're lucky to have the old books. I have the movie-verse covers (which will become my fanfic reference books to highligh to death when I buy another set).

I don't have a Sindarin name, though if I wanted, I could possibly translate. I do, however, know my name in Quenya, but I'm not going to post it for safety reasons. But there's a name I truly love in Sindarin, but I know just enough to wonder if it's actually grammatically correct: Iavasel. It possibly should be Eliavas, but that, I have the feeling causes mutations and whatnot that I don't know about.

Yes, that's how you spell it. For a downloadable Sindarin course, try Gwaith-i-Phethdain. It hasn't been updated in four years, so it may be wrong in a few things, depending on what's been published in the language journals. Ardalambion also has good information, though it's more technical.

As for the Silmarillion, it's a history, technically a legendarium. I've heard that if you can't get into reading, rent the audio version. (Either way, read parts of it aloud. The language is pure poetry.) Just give it another try. :) As for Children of Hurin, I don't think you'll be able to understand it unless you've read the Silm. It's a more "complete" version of one of the chapters therein.

17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I believe that's where I got my Sindarin language information. It's a hard language to teach yourself! I keep my sentences simple, and remember how to conjugate verbs, and use "Dragon Flame" for quick reference.

18. LiNk_2

LiNk_2 Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2008
    i love lord of the rings and for some reason beyond me my fan-fic turned star gate though. but i would like to learn sindarin can anybody help?

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    In suggests trying Gwaith-i-Phethdain.

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
  21. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Finally had the chance to get over here. Ok, my story. When FOTR was in theatres I was really not interested in fantasy films at the time, and I thought it sounded really strange and stupid. But one of my friends dragged me to see the movie. Despite the fact that I didn't quite understand the movie totally, I was drawn in by Frodo's quest. So afterwards I ended up watching it a million times when it came out on dvd, and I read the books (including the Hobbit and Silmarillion). The rest is history I've been a LOTR junkie since, and at one point I could quote all the movies.

I'm probably one of the biggest hobbit lovers around, with Frodo always being my favorite. And I'm absolutely and totally psyched for the Hobbit movie. As far as my fanfic goes, all of it is geared towards hobbits in some way. My username is actually partially taken from my OC hobbit character I used to rp.

Oh and speaking of elvish names I figured out that mine roughly translates to Luthien.:D

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Not trying to be rude here or crush any dreams, but "Luthien" means "enchantress". The name you have in your profile would actually translate to something like Daergylwen or Gyltauriel (both roughly translating to God-bearing-maiden).

If anyone wants an actual Sindarin translation of their name, and not something from an inaccurate generator, please let me know! The generator doesn't actually translate your name, it pulls one from a pre-made list. I do actual translations.

For example, if mine were translated properly, my real name (not the Elven name I use, but the one I'd really have) would be Saertathren, meaning "bitter willow".

ETA: Technically, though, my middle name would be Arwen, as my middle name means "noble lady".

Dana

23. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    Really? Well I guess my friend who knows Elvish doesn't know what he's talking about. Thanks.

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Sorry! *hugs* Didn't mean to burst any bubbles. :(

25. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    You didn't. :) I was just unaware of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.