main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Love Thy Enemy--A ROTJ AU---Thank you to all my readers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ThePariah, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    New chapter? Oh, I can't wait! :)

Kristeh

2. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    This 'Beyond the Saga' forum is annoying the hell out of me! I yet again didn't find this on page 1! *growls at all the Anakin/Tahiri and Jag/Jaina stuff*

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] :p

3. DARTH_MARIANA

DARTH_MARIANA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2004
  4. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    When do we get a post? *begs*

5. DARTH_MARIANA

Mar 2, 2004
    *chants* post! post! post! post! post! post! post!

~*Mariana*~

6. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    :_| :_| :_|

I know, I'm LATE...

This is a really long post, and I've only begun writing it last night---it's barely 1/3 done. :(

7. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    *huff huff* :eek:

Ok, folks, here it is--it's not the full giant post I'd hoped for, but it's better than I expected. (And more than enough to keep you from running after me with torches and pitchforks due to my broken promise... :p)

Without further ado, here's the continuation of my little shuttle soap-opera. Enjoy. :D

After making certain the improvised mending would hold, and that Anakin had regained enough strength and coordination to remain unattended, Luke had hesitantly asked to be given some time alone in the passenger compartment to rest and collect himself. Anakin had been prudent not to comment on that request--he knew all too well the Emperor would have sooner sketched a submissive curtsey than his troubled son would find peace to lay his head upon. So with nothing more than a second subdued thanks and a quietly firm insistence, he had sent Luke away. As soon as the hatch had sealed shut, Anakin found himself regretting his rather brusque manner; he could easily sense the gnawing wound that had been opened in the youth's soul ever since his initial attempt to seek resolution in death. A part of him bristled at such naiveté, that Luke had so foolishly believed it as simple as that to cast away his burdens without a thought. And then he also flinched from that resentment, the very notion that he could still dare to hold any degree of hatred for this gentle creature of his own flesh.

When you left, I was but the learner, now I am the master.

Am I? Whom should learn from whom now?

Time passed without his notice as the demons of his mind failed to adjust to the thin, agonizing strobe of light that shone inside and pierced their black lair.

There had never truly been a significant time in his life, Luke deduced, barring the earliest days of his infant memory, when his thoughts had not dwelled upon the subject of his father. The forlorn fragments of his childhood that could not be fulfilled by the tenderness of Beru and the more shielded care of Owen had perpetually been salved by romantic dreams and notions of this mysterious figure, the immaculate hero of his heart. The web of twisted truths wrought by Obi-Wan had only solidified his worshipful devotion. In the wake of Bespin, even up till now, Luke was not certain what precisely it was that had enabled him to keep his sanity. Only four times did he ever nurse the possibility of committing suicide, and never had he gone far enough to attempt it. Leia had certainly been a lifeline. Her love was the anchor that had kept him from drifting out among the tides of despair, in spite of her own wrenching loss.

It was not possible for Luke to place the exact point when his hatred for Vader had ebbed to a convolution of resignation, resolve, and pity. There was no epiphany; it had been a gradual transition. A whisper of the old dreams of youth had clung to his will, had added another layer to the wall he had fortified around his soul. Ironically enough, it seemed his naïveté had been his one saving grace.

Idealism had little room in the harsh reality of the war-torn galaxy. But in spite of it all, Luke could no more deny his inclination for unwavering perseverance than he could stop himself from breathing.

And against all odds, idealism had prevailed. Yet on this day of new beginnings, this triumphant dawn of renewed hope and promise, Luke found himself cowering in the darkened hollow of an Imperial shuttle?s passenger hold.

He had regained better than half his family in a matter of days, yet he had never felt so alone, entombed with his freshly rampant fears.

Throughout the Alliance's struggle, hope had steadily burned in the hearts of its ranks, but in truth it had not really been a hope of victory. The brutality of the Empire had given them no other choice but to fight back. It was better to perish having attempted to gain liberty than to live crushed underfoot.

The question of defiance had never been disputed. Whether or no

8. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Oh my ... this post was great.. really great!

9. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    You've done a great job with the "what now" aspect. It was the right thing for Luke to search for Anakin, but he never had time to figure out what to do if he succeeded, especially with Anakin surviving. Poor kid can't get a break.

Anakin's leaving? Without a goodbye? Luke will be devasted.

10. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Poor Luke, having completed his hero's task he is now lost for what to do next and in such a difficult situation. It is great to see that even hero's have such troubled thoughts - that was so well written. The suicide bit eeked me a little for a moment, but then Luke had been sent to the edge of insane depression after ESB - all seemed lost. And it made his saddness feel a little more real, I think everyone has had times like that when they are so lost.

I liked the part where Luke is called Wormie in his nightmare, as his life on Tatooine always seemed sad, the people he called friends were so disrespectful to him in general (and basic friendly tormenting it wasn't) aside from Biggs, and it always felt to me Luke was with them out of lack of choice rather than that they were people he could or should care for.

Vader coming to Luke's side was another good moment, and his contemplation on Padme brought home how difficult Episode III will be to watch. I think they should have the Classic trilogy on at the same time just to make people feel that their is a good resolution at the end lol.

Great story so far Moriah, can't wait for more. take your time, and do it when you can ;)

EDIT: RebelMom - Anakin has just left to sit back in the cockpit to give Luke space to think. He hasn't left the ship yet. So don't worry ;)

11. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    All this trouble and I'm on page 2 already! :_|

LaYa: Mucho thankies. :D

RebelMom: More thankies! I always felt the Alliance more or less did its thing by the seat of its pants, even if the goal was well known--and who (besides Han :p) does more pant-seat flying than Luke? [face_laugh] But seriously, when you're facing down something that tough, doubt really doesn't let you consider the consequences afterwards. You just don't have time to think! (Well, at least I don't... [face_plain])

Yes, poor Luke--he's always getting heaped on. :(

And no worries, RM, Anakin's just going back to being a grumpy-guts in the cockpit. :p

timbolton: Triple thankies! [face_love] I always like to put a lot of reality in my writing, and that translates to, uh...angst. ;) Nobody's perfect, certainly not a former farmboy. Couple that with enough personal trauma to give anybody issues for ten lifetimes and you've got one justifiably messed up Jedi. (If people can get suicidal urges over such petty things as financial debts and teenage romances, what about having Satan for a dad? :eek:)

Yeah, I threw in Wormie as an insult--I figure Luke uses it whenever he feels particularly ashamed of himself, as a reminder of his former whiny self. :p Luke didn't have a terribly depressing childhood, just...an awkwardly empty one.

My spin on Anakin is a really insecure one--you'll get all his flavors when I unravel him a bit more later on, but this is his big issue right now. I didn't intend to write him as a mushy daddy from the get-go--Anakin's relationship to Luke, IMO, was always a very possessive one. (I'll save the details on this for future posts. ;)) He's feeling deeply guilty for the things he's done to his children, so for now he's content to tell himself he doesn't deserve the privilege of just being who Luke wants him to be: a father. But, as you can see, he's starting to give in to his family urges already... :)

12. DARTH_MARIANA

Mar 2, 2004
    That was beautiful! *claps* Wonderful! :D
    I'm a sucker for father/son mush. *hint, hint* ;)

~*Mariana*~

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Loved the inner conflict of Luke's forgiveness of his father and his simultaneous attitude as a victim of Imperial reality. Anakin's thoughts were so beautiful and poignant. Great second installment, hermanita!

14. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    Comadre! [face_love] So sweet of you... [face_blush]

15. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Strangling down the audible hitch in his vocoder, Anakin hauled himself to his feet once more and turned to leave. A peculiar urge gave him pause before he activated the hatch release. He glanced back at Luke for several indecisive moments, insecurity and shame warring with a recuperating paternal instinct.

Space is cold, Ani.

At last he reached to his armor-sheathed neck and awkwardly undid the clasp of his cape. Hindered by a single inferior hand, he first dropped the heavy garment in a heap on the deck, then with unaccustomed care pulled it out and draped it over Luke. The great expanse of cloth easily engulfed his son?s body in fluid shadow. Only his hair and face remained like a spot of sunny gold in the dull monotone of the dim cabin.

AWWW! That was so sweet!

Great fic!

16. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Lovely chapter! You really captured Luke's thoughts and confused longings perfectly.

And Anakin's jumbled emotions are very real, too. I imagine that after being on the dark side for so long, it would be incredibly strange not to be, and I can understand why it would take him some time to work through his feelings. His hesitation was heartrending, but his love for Luke is strong and growing ever stronger, I suspect.

Looking forward to more!

Kristeh

17. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Grumpy-guts Vader eh? Who'd'ave thought? [face_devil] [face_blush] :p

18. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    That post was so sad..poor Luke. Poor Anakin. See, this is what you get for turning into a Sith Lord! Bad Ani!
    Luke's introspection was so well-written, and painful to read. :_| :_| He needs a hug...

19. Pelly-Welly

Pelly-Welly Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 10, 2004
    Very nice post :) It's great how you write both Luke and Anakin's feelings.
    I agree with Darth_Mariana about the father/son mush. Really cute. *puts "Must Read" sticker on thread*

20. -Trickster-

-Trickster- Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 2003
    That last bit, where Anakin's saying her has no right to Luke...that's just sad! You have no idea!

Great update though!

21. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    Darth Mariana: Don't worry, the father/son mush will emerge in time... ;)

DarthIshtar: Once more, muchos gracias! :D I swoon at your praise... :eek:

JalendaviLady: I couldn't resist the power of the cute side. :p

kristeh: Thank you! I do a happy dance every time I find out my stuff works for you all!

timbolton: [face_laugh]

Sock of Darth Vader: See, this is what you get for turning into a Sith Lord! Bad Ani! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] And yes, I do agree--let's all give Luke a hug! [face_love]

Pelly-Welly: *puts "Must Read" sticker on thread* You just earned yourself some brownie points, my friend. ;) *hands out virtual double-fudge brownies to all*

-Trickster-: Awww...cheer up, have a brownie. :p

22. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    My ego bumps this back to the top. [face_plain] [face_laugh]

23. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
  24. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Finally got time to read it and oh my! This was intense, I can really imagine they both thought that way, and Vader (I know.. Anakin, but I prefer to call him Vader) covering Luke with his cape, sweet and fatherly despite his unwillingness to admit..
    More!

25. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.