main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Lovely old WEG illustrations

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cthugha, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah pretty much the same with me. “Wait… I have heard of this guy… Bloody Hell it really is him!”

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Wow, where's this thread been hiding? I loved WEG and miss it terribly. Allen Nunis and Mike Vilardi were the Bee's Knees.

Gorefiend and Iron_lord like this.
  3. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I realized I never followed up on this post. So, without further ado, my Vilardi art, as framed and hung.

[​IMG]

Two pics of Voren Na'al (from Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded) flanking his wife, Rivoche Tarkin (Cracken's Rebel Operatives).

[​IMG]

The Tiss'shar (Galaxy Guide 12: Aliens — Enemies and Allies). (This one I hope to get re-framed at some point; the rest have professional framing, this one just has a close off-the-shelf fit.)

[​IMG]

A Barabel bounty hunter is more than these riff-raff can handle (Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters).

4. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    The last one is my favorite, John! Great work incorporating the captions!

jSarek and Gorefiend like this.
  5. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I felt I had to; while the story is still there without them, some of the details that help tell it are a bit hard to see without the captions. One of my roommates at the time was my hero for her detailed font knowledge and excellent Google-fu; despite having never even played WEG, she still managed to track down the font in mere minutes after I'd been searching for hours.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I'd captioned Voren and Rivoche, too, just so people perusing my walls would know who they are when I'm not around to tell them.

Eyrezer likes this.
  6. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Great pics.! Thanks for posting. I was in my late teens - early 20's in the late '80's/early '90's when these SW WEG books were coming out. And, though I never played the game, I enjoyed collecting the WEG sourcebooks that were being released then. They were really the only EU that was coming out during that time - i.e., between the end of the Marvel comic in '86 & the beginning of the "new" EU, which began in the early '90's with the then-new novels (HTTE trilogy, etc.) and the Dark Horse SW comics.

jSarek and Gorefiend like this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm, can anyone identify the subject and provenance of this one?
    [​IMG]

The URL says Kathol in it, suggesting it'd be in the Darkstryder campaign -- but that very much looks like the Emperor and his advisors, which wouldn't fit. Any thoughts?

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    It's from the Tapani Sourebooks.

Afaik it was in the context of them planning the Imperial Assault on House Pelagia.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ahh -- so it IS the Imperial Palace, then?

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I would guess they are in the Imperial palace having the briefing with the Emperor, but the Holo they have displayed is something in the Tipani worlds, likely the planet Pelagon.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Lords of the Expanse Gamemaster Guide, yes. It's the general illustration for the section discussing the Imperial relationship with the Tapani Sector.

12. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    This is not a comment about lovely old WEG illustrations, but I just saw this cut-away picture of the Great Temple on Yavin and couldn't help but think how cool it would have been to have the same image but for the Jedi Academy there during the NR/NJO era.

http://pin.it/N0sJBWB

jSarek likes this.
  13. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Yes I love digging in old topics... so until Skywalker rises, some topics might:

Anybody have more links to WEG era artists sites? Also I toy with the idea of creating a similiar topic for FFG art which is as epic and often too small wasted on cards, luckily in higher resolution online often. Got a huge archive of said art. So anybody want a new FFG Art topic? Or shall we convert this one for RPG art in general???

14. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    How did I ever miss this thread....

Some ships from Tramp Freighters.

Love this light freighter design....
    [​IMG]

And here is is in a fleet shot...
    [​IMG]

And the Munifex-class light cruiser...aka the Class 1000...
    [​IMG]

15. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Allen Nunis was the cream of the crop of WEG illustrators.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I would love to see Fractal or EC Henry dig into some of these old WEG originals.