main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Line = ALL HYPE

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by snap-hiss, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    I heard those that lined up as late as 7am got in.

!snap

2. Adi Go Lightly

Adi Go Lightly Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2000
    I think they were recruiting people for the last show. Dunno if people decided they wouldn't get in so gave up after about 6AM or what. But I know someone who walked right in without having to wait in line.

I was in line at about 5 and got into the first show.

3. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I KNEW IT!!!

People gave up too easy!

I heard people say "NO WAY if you don't get in line by 6am you would have a chance" and they give up trying!

I got there by 6.

4. TheTempest

TheTempest Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2005
    I headed to the lines with a friend at about midnight. Saw that the non fan club line was about 1/10th the size of the fan club line, so I got in that. We were under the underpass so it wasn't bad, then they moved us outside, I gave up 30 mins after that, went to go to sleep at 1:15 AM. Friend stayed there. He got into the first showing, came back to the hotel and went to sleep. I headed down to the convention center about an hour after that, I walked through the skywalk from the mall. Saw that people were going into the Saga Stage, figured it was Billy D, then I heard people saying hurry, George Lucas starts soon. So I walked in sat down and 5 minutes later George Lucas game up. I got there just in time for the third showing I guess, Lol.

5. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    I walked in the FanClub entrance at 10 am and was asked if I wanted to see George. We were given a blue wristband and told to run to the ballroom since the show had already started.

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think they purposely undercounted the wristbands to make sure that if there was news to be given, it would be the good news that there were still seats left, rather than the bad news that some people who had waited all that time couldn't get in.

The line tried to start the day before, but the police got involved telling them they couldn't line up until the next day. I heard the line started at midnight. I had just been to the FF party, and there was all this crazy weather going on, with tornado ripe storms circling the city, some people reporting golf ball sized-hail. I figured, nobody will be in line before 5 am.

The cool thing was they let us in early to get us out of the freezing rain and gail force winds. Which was better than the day before when we stood in pouring rain with no raingear being soaked for a couple of hours. This time I had at least grabbed a large garbage bag from the hotel.

We got into the first Lucas show, which I enjoyed quite a bit. I think he confused Jay L for Temeura M, which was pretty funny. And the kid at the end that just said "Thank you" for his question was just moving.

I am glad they could get more people into the show at the last minute, but given the chance to do it over, I probably would have still waited in line at 5AM, just to make sure I got in. I got to talk to some nice people, and I got some nice shots of the 501st members who not only directed us inside, but who were also jumping in to direct the line through traffic from the Hyatt over to the convention center.

7. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    From a volunteering standpoint, the Lucas show was a disaster. Total mess. The lines were 'managed' so well by GenCon that (apparently) Lucas' publicist was screaming to get people into the final show to fill it up. People were given wristbands and not told what they were for. It could have been done better to say the least.

8. sithlard

sithlard Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2004
    I waited since 1 AM. I don't regret it, since I got into the first showing which USA today featured in their Monday newspaper. And I had a good seat. And I think it's just cool to say I waited 8 hours in the cold and rain to see Lucas.

I don't think it was all hype. But I do admit that I probably didn't have to wait that long.

9. Star_Wars_Guy

Star_Wars_Guy Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2004
    I braved the line at 4:30 am. Was one of the last groups of people that got seats for the first show. Went back to the hotel and got my wife & daughter. Walked into the convention center and was immediately given a blue braclet and told to get in the line. We not only made the final show, but by dumb luck, ended up getting in the middle section about 20 rows back from the stage. Better seats and a better show than the first one. Oh well, at least I got to see 2 out of the 3 shows!

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    What was said at the third show?

11. 4ways2rock

4ways2rock Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2004
    I must have been in line with TheTempest because that is my story to a tee! 'cept I walked in at 9:45am through the fan club line and picked up a blue wristband. I was the guy yelling at the two dudes making fun of us from the above ground level garage across the street. just cos I'm a Star Wars geek doesn't mean i won't start some ****! It was a riot to get soaked, leave knowing you won't get to see GL then go get a good night sleep come back to the convention centre and see the man himself!

12. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I got up a little after four in the morning. I had no intention of making it to see Lucas, as I thought there was no way I'd make it in. So I ate and did some other stuff before heading outside about 6:15. It was cold and raining and I had no umbrella (stupid considering I'd thought about bringing one, but then decided against it), but I did get to borrow a C3 hoodie to wear which helped me keep a little warmer. The Lucas line seemed to be all over the place so I just made my way over to the convention center and got in the fanclub line. After a while I was joined by another member of my fanforce who thankfully had an umbrella. We weren't sure what was happening, but every so often the line would move up even though the doors hadn't opened. Finally a woman came to us and asked if we wanted to get in for first session George Lucas. Phil and I were cold enough by that time we just wanted to get inside, but the oppertunity to also see Lucas was awesome. Once inside we were told we were being let in for Lucas only, not for the store or exhibits. We were herdered around and finally taken to stage where Lucas came out and did his thing. :)

13. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I saw people waiting in line at 11:45 p.m. Friday and said "to hell with this." The weather was horrible, raining hard, windy with temps in the 30s.

Sadly I decided to sleep in Saturday, getting to the con around 10:30, missing Lucas :(

14. SSDExecutor

SSDExecutor Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Undercounting sounds like a strong possiblity to me. I got there at about 5:30am and was in front of the Hyatt, under the overpass trying to avoid the wind and rain until hurried inside the 500 ballroom queue line. We were then given green wristbands which we were told guaranteed we'd be in the second show. When the queue line started to move (right before the first show was scheduled to start), we figured we were headed for the upstairs queue line - instead we kept moving all the way to in front of the Sagamore and stopped about 5 people in front of us. About a minute later, someone yelled that they could take another 30 people and we were hustled in to see the first show! Sounds like undercounting and many people giving up may be behind what happened.

15. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    GrandAdmiralJello and I were walking by the non-fan club line about 8:30 AM on Saturday, and some guy was yelling that he had 400 seats left to see Lucas. We didn't go because we didn't want to see him, but yeah, the line was pretty much a bunch of hype. I watched a ton of people waltz right in without waiting. Not that waiting in line all night is bad- from what I heard, it was quite an experience- but I feel bad for the people who freaked out and thought they wouldn't get to see him. It seems like there were more than enough seats available.

16. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    I was in line on friday night at 6pm until it started to rain. I was fully prepaired to stay the entire night, as was my girlfriend, but the cold rain was just too much.

Plus they started to claim they were going to call the police if we didn't leave.

!snap

17. Tony-WanKenobiNC

Tony-WanKenobiNC Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    After the wonderful "all about the fans" store line encounter, my friend and I weren't gonna try to go to see George. We got up late, ate breakfast, and started from behind the convention center where the line normally starts and figured we'd eventually catch up to the back of the line and just go see other stuff with no or little lines. We were surprised to make it almost to the door before running into what was left of the line. Then as we entered the door (9:45am) we, like others above were asked if we wanted to see George. Well, duh-huh!! I stuck out my wrist, they slapped on the blue wristband, i looked at my friend and said, "cover me, I'm goin' in." Then I bolted and we had great seats for the third show. No waiting in cold, snow, sleet, or dead of night. Sorry, but I had to laugh at my other friends who waited all night, although after the fact, I felt bad for them as they all caught colds. Star Wars fans are made to suffer in line; it's our lot in life. :)

18. Tony-WanKenobiNC

Tony-WanKenobiNC Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    Also, somebody was telling me on Friday that people had lined up for two days to see Lucas....does anyone know if that's true? Does that seem a bit much?<< I just ask the questions.....Barry writes the songs....anyways...

19. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    The first person in line got there at 1pm on Friday. That is before they made the line dispand, so I don't know what happened after that... but she would still have been the person who was there first.

!snap

20. Underpaid_Soldier

Underpaid_Soldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't get it...

I walked through the Fan Club entrance at 9:30am, grabbed a few green (2nd session) wrist bands from the Event Staffer for me and my brothers, and we just walked to the Sagamore Ballroom. It was that simple.

... and many of you guys waited HOURS just to get inside?

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    It was the only way to be sure...

22. BC_Eagles_67

BC_Eagles_67 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    I got in line at my usual 8:30AM and walked in at 9:15.. I didn't wait in line at all for the Lucas show. I'm sorry for those that waited that are now sick but I couldn't take that chance!

23. Aaron2010

Aaron2010 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2005
    I'll agree.

I knew from the get-go that I wasn't seeing Lucas. I had to volunteer during those times. As a matter of fact, when I was passing the food court on my way to work, I saw a few people jump up. They were being asked if they wanted to see Lucas. I thought about it for a second but couldn't do it.

I had my shot to see him, but I didn't. I had to work OffPix.

I do think that it was a very nice surprise for some people, and that could be just as special as getting into the first show.

24. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    My friend and I got in line at 5:30 A.M. We waited outside for about 45 minutes. An hour later we saw the first Lucas show, and then went on to the prop exhibit.

We had pretty decent seats. About halfway back.

25. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    ....Sigh.....
    I had never been to a convention before so I was shocked by the lines on Thursday. It took me 2 hours to get in and along with seeing the Store's lines I completely believed that the only way to see Lucas would have been to get in line in the middle of the night. Seeing the group of people lined up already at 4pm on Thursday convinced me and I decided to sleep in on Saturday and did not get to the Con until 11am. I had considered trying to get inline at 5am but figured it would be too late and I was staying 15 miles away so it just seemed a waste of time...
    Damn It! I really, really, wanted to see him too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.