main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Line = ALL HYPE

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by snap-hiss, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    ^I'm sure he flies charters.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "But did you hear about the TARP PARTIES?"

HEY WHAT DID YOU DO WITH MY POOR TARP?!

From what I've heard sleeping in > seeing Lucas anyways.

3. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Me, my Wife and our oldest nephew made it to the front of the Convention Center around 5:30am and saw that the line in front wasn't real, real long and thought that was a great sign for us getting in to see one of George Lucas' shows, but when we got to the line a volunteer or someone was saying the line was not for seeing George Lucas, that the line for seeing George Lucas had been moved inside at the Hyatt and that there were 12,000 people or whatever in that line and the George Lucas shows were sold out or pretty much gave the impression there was no chance or not much of a chance at making one of the shows. We did get into that line outside at the Hyatt and we did get green wrist bands for the second George Lucas show and we actually got into the first George Lucas show.

It seems clear the weather/miscomunication/not expecting to get into any of George Lucas' shows kept some people away, otherwise it would have been really, really difficult to make any of the George Lucas shows.

As for getting to make one of the George Lucas shows and that show being the first show and regardless of which show, WOW, that was extremely thrilling and extremely pleasing! Thank you, George Lucas! =D=

4. thatstarwarsgirl

thatstarwarsgirl Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2005
    I was in the Lucas line starting at about 4 PM on Friday. I'd like to clear up some misconceptions.

1. The police never showed up. I don't think they were ever called. A very nasty volunteer(one of many that day-I know you had a rough job but it's no reason to not be nice) - dressed as an Imperial officer - is the one who shouted this to those in line. She also told us that the line would be started at a random location and we would not be told where. When I asked her if we should just walk around randomly and look for a sign, her answer was "If you want to see Lucas, yes".

2. Due to Gencon's inability and unwillingness to provide any info on the line or show for Lucas, those in line early started an unofficial numbering system to avoid all of us having to stand outside in the cold rain all night. It worked until the linejumpers showed up. The most rude being the old lady who declared herself as having the first spot in line because she asked volunteers about the line at noon on Friday.

3. For the most part it was fun and yes, worth it. WHo knows if we will ever get this chance again. It was a blast outside and inside.

4. This whole situation could have been handled better if there was more organization at the con period. Every volunteer had different info-even Gencon officials weren't consistent.

Despite this, it was still a great time. I met some cool people and had a good time.

M

5. audiogirl21

audiogirl21 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2001
    i thought they removed all of you cuz of the interview that guy did for the news...bashing GenCon...we were cheering. :)

as for that kid in the first show that got to go up....i'm sorry, but i thought that was contrived and somewhat manipulative. it really wasn't needed. so set up. bleh.

6. Baldwyn_Fett

Baldwyn_Fett Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    I hit the line at 7am, didn't have a Fan Club lanyard. As with most, I was underdressed for the weather, but lucked out! At around 7:30 or so, the line moved inside for Lucas! I know people around me outside were banking that most people were seeing Lucas, and elected to do the store on Saturday. Well, I was going where it was warm. I made it in for the second showing.

It was cool, but with all the Lucas sightings here in the Bay Area, it wasn't quite awe-inspiring for me.

In the end, I was really lucky with lines. I did the store on Sunday (although it took 4.5 hours), and at the end of the day on Saturday got autographs for Ray, Temuera, and Jeremy without much of a line.

7. Anime_Nut

Anime_Nut Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    Waiting in line from early morning was ABSOLUTELY worthwhile, simply because that 1st Q&A was the only one that consisted of actual Q&A. Not some dope spewing spoilers in the 2nd, or some bigger dope whining about George's "boring and predictable" prequels in the 3rd. When I heard the horror stories about the 2nd and 3rd Q&A, I couldn't have been more grateful that I rolled out of bed at 3 am and stumbled into line at 4:30 am. Sure, the weather sucked (and blew), but the whole experience just wouldn't have been as memorable without the trials and tribulations.

I met 2 of the coolest people I met all weekend-long in that line (Sonny & Alicia, how're things in CA?). Before entering that line, I would never would've expected I'd be trading Disney cast member stories with anybody at CIII.

How funny was that sight of 501st Stormtroopers conducting traffic outside as the line was moved from the Hyatt to indoors? The only thing funnier was probably the reactions that elicited from the people in those cars thinking "How MUCH did I have to drink last night?"

Bottom line, I know I'm not alone in getting a little tired of hearing same of you mocking us for waiting in line when we "didn't have to." Hey, if you got a good night's sleep and walked into one of the later Q&A's with no problem, I salute you. I'm not very interested in making fun of you.

Cheers,
    Anime Nut

8. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Yeah. The dudes who stood in the freezing rain actually wanted to see Lucas at the first show, not some guy who slept in late and just happened to get into the second or third showing.

I'll never forget hearing that loud applause as Lucas walked on stage for that first show. His first con appearance since 1987.

We also got to hear the best Lucas blooper of the day when Lucas thought he was talking to Temura Morrison instead of Jay!

9. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    yea i came about 15 minutes before the first show, and some lady gave me a bracelet

and i got in

10. Anime_Nut

Anime_Nut Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    Seeing as how Jay Legaia bears a closer resemblance to Bodie Taylor than Temuera Morrison, I would say George thought Jay was Bodie. Either way, HUGE screw-up. Although, I suppose I'm just as dumb for thinking (at least for a few minutes) that EP III would have a bunch of Typho clones running around. I can just see Typho macking on Taun We at the Kamino bars one late night... but I digress.

Cheers,
    Anime Nut

11. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    In the end I'm actually glad I didn't get in to see Lucas. If I would have I wouldn't have gotten the seats I did to see Rick's hour show and thus not meet Rick, John Knoll, and Nick G. That was much better than seeing GL on a screen and having to sit through horribly moronic questions.

!snap

12. jediwk

jediwk Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2005
    I need to piggy back on a couple of other posts here....

The difference is that I will make fun of those who just walked right in.

Let?s examine first of all, who the most hardcore of the hardcore fans are... These are the fans who realized that people were going to line up as early as Midnight, even though some tried at 4pm and 7pm as many of us were checking at that time. Why did we do this... because we wanted to make sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that we got in. Many of you sit there and tell us how you just walked right in... Well you didn?t care that much from the start.... don?t act like you did because you would have been out of bed and in that line. As for Gen Con/501st controlling the line, you all need to get off your high horse. They were most concerned with our health. And God bless them for that. Furthermore, when does corporate responsibility end....? I run a large dinning facility at a college campus... after we are closed and locked up... I go home... We were not just showing up early to, say get into the store, we were there all night! Those people who you turn your noses to, were there on their own volition. No one from either group had any required responsibility to be out there... They were kind enough to move the line a little narrower to get people close together at first. Then they move us through the Hyatt and through the skyways to get us warm.... I was DAMN GREATFUL!

Point is, if you were not there don't judge. There were so many people in line at first that I am sure many left the line for dead... my opinion is that there were about 8000 in line that night (the most hardcore fans in the USA). People figured the line was full... the Sagamore seated 3300. At three shows that?s 9900 people. Ok, so take some away such as media and guests (Nick Gillard was right next to me... we talked)... then you have about 9500. So there were 1500 people who happened to walk in at the right time as we had been sleeping near the skywalk and then the Sagamore waiting area.

Go toot your horn... call us weird for staying out all night.... in fact I made friends that evening... when you?re that cold... tipping back some whiskey and hugging 2 girls from FL, and 2 guys from PA, you become close real fast... those fans cared about one another. If people had it on them, they gave it to whoever needed it. I had bought 12 @ $1 ponchos that the supposed "rude Imperial Officer" helped me pass out to the fans that looked to be the coldest and wettest. Wow it gives me chills to sit here and think about how mean and disorganized everyone was.... oh yeah you guys could do so much better taking a line of 8000 across the street, down 2 blocks and weave them through hotels and sky ways. Those 8000 fans are the most hardcore of the hardcore...

Stop judging... I?m sick of it. If you were a hardcore fan you wouldn?t be sitting here saying "Oh I?m cool I got in and I slept...." We slept too... in groups, under blankets, under tarps, and just leaning on one another. Face it, the rest of you just got lucky on something that you didn?t even think could happen when you walked in the door...We bet on a sure thing.

As for the Lucas spots, yes I would guess that the 1st was the best... and now the best part of my 50K collection... a frame around my Yellow wristband, Two pics of Lucas, A pic of my friends in line, and My receipt from buying extra cloths, ponchos, and food. AND NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME OR ANY OF THE 8000 OF US..... RACK HIM>> HEY ROME I'M OUT (not that any of you would understand that last reference)

13. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    thatstarwarsgirl, what number were you? I think I may have waited inside with you (I was group number 36 :))

14. 4ways2rock

4ways2rock Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2004
    jediwk
    maybe it's just me but your post makes it seem that you are on a high horse, what you are accusing others of being on. i was in line late friday night and if GenCon was concerned with the health of myself and others in the non-fanclub line (only there cos it was under cover at the main entrance to the con centre) they wouldn't have moved us from under cover to out in the rain. I left cos i didn't want to catch pnemonia or a cold, and got lucky when I came back in the morning. There's more in your post that has pissed me off but I just don't care to address anymore. You sound hardcore but you also sound like an a$$.

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    If that kid who thanked Lucas at the first show was a set up, it worked on me. It was refreshing to hear a SW fan thank Lucas, instead of asking him something like: "Why weren't the prequels as good as the classic trilogy?", which was from what I hear, one of the questions asked in one of the other two shows.

16. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    The 501st and Volunteers in the line were very awesome. They let us into the building early and all smiling. I am so grateful they did this.

In fact, I even saw some stormtroopers dancing,cuz it WAS THAT exciting.

17. BC_Eagles_67

BC_Eagles_67 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    Agreed.. this thread was decent until that last long post. Some of us had the responsibility to take care of younger fans, standing in the cold/rain doesn't mean you're the most "hardcore" fans around... it just means you had the opportunity to stand in line at 12am. Some of us didn't and it's really not that big of a deal wether or not you saw Lucas first or last, we all enjoyed his show, each was different so each group had a unique opportunity, no one show was better than the last. It seems like some people around here are miffed that some of us "lucked" into the Lucas showing, when we sould all be happy for each other that we got to see the maker. A true "hardcore" fan would appreciate the fact that nearly 10,000 fans got to see Lucas, they would not get competitive over who is more "hardcore" in their fandom. I guess the people that could not afford to go to CIII are not "hardcore".. I bet Lucas would beg to differ. A post like the one above just makes me shake my head.. I just don't get people sometimes and I guess I never will. BUT I had fun! I saw Lucas and loved the show. After reading that post above one must wonder does it really matter how "hardcore" you are a Star Wars fan? From what I learned from CIII there are a wide variety of fans that were able to attend and some that were not able to attend but at least we share a love and that's all that matters! If standing in line equates you're level of Star Wars fandom, I must say that this hobby has been reduced to being a joke.

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Sure that post was a little reactionary, but it was more or less adressed to those who would mock those of us who waited in the wind and rain to see Lucas.

I think it's great that more people got in to see him who never even thought it would be possible.

If you waited all night in line, you had a blast with all the fans, if you got in at the last minute, you had a blast with your good fortune.

19. BC_Eagles_67

Jan 13, 2005
    Go-Mer-Tonic,
    I saw that kid at several shows, I don't think he was a plant but he does know his Star Wars. I talked to him and his family for a few minutes in one of the many lines and that kid is quite bright and truly loves Star Wars. I'm glad he got to ask Lucas a question, he deserved it, he was a trooper all week despite his disbilities, never did I see him without a smile on his face. That to me is true sign of a "hardcore" fan. :)

And yes the post was reactionary, but I had a feeling that some fans just don't get it.

20. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    WOuld you waited in line since Midnight if they going to use the Dome for such event, where it could fit EVERYONE?

I sure as hell WOULD NOT.... well, maybe I would if it WASN'T raining, pretty warm, and a hottie or two in line. :p

21. BC_Eagles_67

Jan 13, 2005
    Jedi,
    Apparently if you were "hardcore" you would have.. ;) The hottie factor is funny too.. I met a few nice women in the hot tub Friday night..new women and friends were EVERYWHERE that weekend! It was great! :) I'm glad to have met some fans from around the world throughout the weekend..even if some of the fans were hard to communicate with! ;)

22. BC_Eagles_67

Jan 13, 2005
    Just one more funny observation.

What apparently equates to being a "hardcore" Star Wars fan between 4/21-4/25/05 equates to stupidity any other day! :) I understand it though.. I stood in line for my ROTS action figures in the cold in the rain twice.. once for the MM and then again for the Target/Wal-Mart exclusives. :) As a group some of us are just dumb at times! ;)

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    True, there is really no need to go playing "who's a bigger fan". We are all united through our love of Star Wars.

24. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

Even if it was in the dome I would have lined up for lucas, just so I could be closer, and see him better.

And HOW could there be 'hotties' in line. We were all freezing our limbs off!
    Hey, line up people. Do you remmeber the blonde wandering around the line up around the first hour trying to get people to move back a bit (So everyone at the front of the line could have just a tad more room...). Remmeber, the crazy canadian who had the flip flops on. That was me! :D (Then got back into the line at around 1:20am.)

Really, there were some unnessiarly rude people out there sometimes

25. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    That kid shaking Lucas' hand at the end of the first show made that show for me. I liked the little kneeling Lucas did, and the smile on the kid.

Later on in the day my friend and I saw the kid in the Fan Club Lounge, and my friend told him he did a great job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.