main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Line = ALL HYPE

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by snap-hiss, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    We didn't think we'd make George, and we didn't want to stand in line in the cold that morning, so we tried the skyway entrance thinking we'd probably be stopped and be told we couldn't get in, but the Force was with us and some stormtroopers told us there were seats still available for George's last show, so we walked right on in!! :)

2. jediwk

jediwk Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2005
    Irritating people was not my intention... I think if you want to celebrate the fact that you got in and didnt have to wait that is great.... I wish I could have been one of those people. However, I was trying to show that I wasnt willing to take that risk. Maybe hardcore starwars fan was the wrong verbage.... try inserting "the fans who wanted to see Lucas the most" in that post where ever it said "hardcore fan." I just didnt like the people questioning why these 8000 fans stood out in line... because I still firmly believe that its a fact: No one who just got in line to get in that morning thought they would get to see Lucas. BTW please refer to this posting of all of our favorite Star Wars sites as to where the hardcore fan verbage came from:

http://www.theforce.net/celebration/story/C3_George_Lucas_Appears_at_Celebration_91600.asp

which states:
    C3: George Lucas Appears at Celebration

Posted By Scott on April 23, 2005
    by Joshua Griffin, TFN

(You can check out photos from the presentation in our Celebration 3 photo gallery)

A COLD START
    9,000 people spent the night outside. That doesn't sound like such a big deal if you're in Southern California, but here in Indiana that is no small feat.

Despite the pouring rain and 40 degree weather (not counting windchill), a sold out crowd waited faithfully to be one of the few, the proud that got to see Lucas with their own eyes.

The presentation was great, but my hat is off to the fans that endured the weather. These were the hardcore of the hardcore fans. Pouring rain, police disbanding the line, intense cold, biting wind and frustration with volunteers didn't discourage them from this once in a lifetime opportunity.

SO ONCE AGAIN: I didnt mean to offend... maybe after this correctional post you will understand a little more.... furthermore besides what I posted to correct my last post, I stand firmly behind it. I know we are all "hardcore" fans.

3. Anime_Nut

Anime_Nut Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    Jeez, I'm just glad Triumph the Insult Comic Dog didn't show up Saturday morning. Otherwise, those of us who waited in line would have a WHOLE lot more folks mocking us than a few smug JC'ers.

For my part, I totally agree with the heart of jediwk's post (the execution... not so much). I've got no beef with the lucky bunch who slept in and still found their way into a George Lucas Q&A. It's the folks who have gone on to mock the rest of us and gloat about their accomplishment that drive me nuts.

To everybody griping about being moved to the Hyatt: Would you have rather seen people waiting on the roof of the convention center that particular morning? The staff had a FEW more people's health to be concerned with than the relatively small bunch under the skyway.

Cheers,
    Anime Nut

4. jediwk

jediwk Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2005
    OMT: On the harshness of my post... sorry but this is something I am proud of that I put myself through to see him...I guess the biting wind, rain etc. left me a bit jaded. (Star Wars pun not intended!) For what its worth. and NO: OUR HOBBY HAS NOT BEEN REDUCED TO A JOKE>>> Maybe a thread is needed on how we do goofy things... I dont dress up... for E3 we have a 7 hour video game and steaks tailgate at the theatre....once again ROME IM OUT

5. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    We brought a blanket and a type of blanket that is for putting on the ground and sitting on. Me, my Wife and our oldest nephew were under the blanket while waiting in the rain and the cold. My STAR WARS hat was wet from having been blown off and landing in a puddle of water while we were walking to our place in line. Our nephew grabbed it and I put it back on, wet and all.

There was a girl next to us or near us who had flip-flops on and my Wife pulled out the blanket we brought to sit on, but weren't using and let her use it while we were outside.

It was cold, windy and wet waiting outside to see George Lucas and totally worth it. :D

6. jbrianchamberlin

jbrianchamberlin Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005

Someone told me to get in line at 12 midnight. No freaking way so I was walking by at 8AM to get in the normal line just to get in the convention and some woman asked me if I wanted to see the first show. She let me and my buddy right in. I felt bad because when it was over, we were allowed straight into the convention and people were stil filing in.

7. DarthDoughboy2012

DarthDoughboy2012 Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    I WAS FIRST IN LINE WOOOOOOO! (I'm posting under my hubbys login cuz I don't get to the puter nearly often enough to keep up on a reg basis to keep up with one of my own.)
    It was crazy! People kept comming up to me offering to buy me food,blankets keep my space so I could thaw. People were awesome. I thought of (gasp) leaving cuz I was losing it in the cold. Some conceptual artists walked up around like 2am and asked how things were going and I think I said 1pm and that's all I could muster. Next time I WILL PACK MORE THAN AN 88 cent poncho when going north. Sooooo cold. I was all warm when I was moving around and numbering and yelling for the line to move back and arguing with volunteers but when I ran out of things to do it got bad. I decided to leave about 20 min before they let us in the skywalk. I turned to #2 my husband and told him I'd see him later when he asked me to stay and those around me encouraged me. THANX GUYS! It was well worth it And to those that just "walked"in. First session had the best Q&A well worth it. Sorry for the length.

8. jediwk

jediwk Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2005
    ONE MORE THING: Has it occured to anyone that they handed out 30% of wristbands to the fans walking in since the line was moved and there was no "NON Fan Club Lucas Line" It would make total sense to me that they used the 30% in that way to make sure they made good on their word.

9. Cryptorchid

Cryptorchid Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2005
    In response to jediwk's post yesterday morning and the posts following in opposition and or support the only thing that I can say is who really cares. If you were one of the brave and dedicated souls who waited all night I truly tip my hat to you. You accomplished something very noteworthy and are due some recognition, however that does not give the right in anyway to say that staying outside all night and freezing in order to see Lucas makes you a bigger or better Star Wars fan. All it means is that there was something that you really wanted and there was no way you were going to miss it.

For those of you who didn't wait in line all night but still managed to get in congratulations to you as well.

The point that I'm trying to make here is that all of you are missing the point. Celebration III was just that, a celebration, a time for everyone to get together and share a meaningful experience that I'm sure will be a lifetime memory, not an exposition for who is the bigger or more "hardcore" Star Wars fan. If all that you care about is arguing over who loves Star Wars more than all I can say is wow.

A fan is a fan regardless of the lengths that they will go to so instead of petty bickering why don't we all just celebrate and enjoy this wonderful time because pretty soon it's going to be over.

10. Mauve

Mauve Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    Oh, please, no one told those people to get in line at midnight, that was done on their own initiative. In fact I heard that some people were trying to line up for Lucas at 8:00 pm on Friday night and were dispersed by the police.

If you showed up between 6:00 and 8:00 am on Saturday morning you had a pretty good chance of getting in to see him. I read on these boards that some people showed up shortly after 9:00 and still got in.

Those people who chose to line up at Midnight were the ones that created the line hype. It's too bad that the weather was so awful, I did feel kind of bad for them.

11. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    With the fiasco of the store, and the long lines just to get in can you blame them.

Seriously the way the fans were treated they had to resort to waiting in line. Otherwise they risked spending most of C3 waiting in line and not enjoying the sites and sounds and all the other stuff that went with c3.

Its like a herd of cattle that are herded into a corral next to a pond. Leave the cattle in the corral for a few days without food or water and they will do whatever it takes to get to the water. Thirty thousand Star Wars Fans will do the same. And anyone who is stuck outside with them will endure the same punishment.

12. audiogirl21

audiogirl21 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2001
    the thing i didn't appreciate were the kids that SAW it was a line, and as it moved they just jumped in.

but it's all said and done. so....oh well.

13. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Hey that happens with a lunch line at schools all the time.

14. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I had a good freaky moment during the Lucas panel, when I turned my head from Lucas on stage to the back of the room where I saw all the Stormtrooper volunteers in the back with their helmets off. I felt like I was inside the Emperor's palace for a second.

15. DarthDoughboy2012

DarthDoughboy2012 Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    I agree entirly with crypto. I raved that I was first in line but truth is if I were 89 in line I would have raved all the same. The point is I got to see GL. The people that walked up and were like 30 in line really got there at like 1:15pm where as I got there at 1. They weathered everything the same as I. I just walked up like 5 minutes sooner. People would come to the front and yell "hardcore" but the people behind me were just as frozen and determined. MY HATS OFF TO YOU ALL! YOU ALLLLLLL ROCK! And thanx crypto you said it well.

16. Mauve

Mauve Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    There was nothing wrong with people standing in the line for Lucas if that is what they chose to do. Hey, I did it for concert tickets when I was 16 and that was just for the adventure of it. I'm just tired of reading about how people were forced to line up at midnight for Lucas when they did that of their own accord.

17. DarthLove-a-LotBear

DarthLove-a-LotBear Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2005
    where did it say "forced"? I missed it. And yeah, it was all choice.

18. Mauve

Mauve Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    I didn't say that your post or even that any posts on this pagesaid "forced". I have seen several posts on other threads saying or implying that people were told to line up at midnight or they wouldn't get in to see Lucas and that people were made to stand out in the rain.

And since I was there at the con I also heard people,not the ones in line, but other attendees saying they couldn't believe that LFL/Gencon started the line at midnight. They didn't, fans did. And if they wanted to do that then that's fine. I guess I am just tired of reading about it over and over and over so the best thing for me to do would be to not read these posts because they just upset me.

BTW- I am not one of those people who mocked people for standing in the rain.

19. DarthLove-a-LotBear

Apr 30, 2005
    naw it's cool. I thought you were saying you saw a post where someone said they were "forced" to line up or something. The fans lined up at midnight. I got there at 1pm by choice. Gencon kept saying that acording to their rules we couldn't start the line until midnight because then it was considered the day of the event. They threatened to call the police so we numbered up and came back at midnight. After 1 volunteer got sick from the weather and had to see a paramedic (that was standing by for in case issues), another called "the higher ups" and told them they would "have a mess on their hands" if the line weren't moved to a safer location. That's when the skywalk/Hyatt happened.Origonally they tried to get us in the Con center but fire marshalls opposed the idea. So we were finally moved at like 4.

20. Mauve

Mauve Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    Did you all manage to get in out of the rain and cold for a while?

I was lucky that I had packed a sweater and my leather jacket. Can't believe there was snow too. :(

21. DarthLove-a-LotBear

Apr 30, 2005
    I was first in line. I live in FL and they said it would be warm in IN when I left so I brought a LIGHT windbreaker and an 88 cent poncho from wal-mart. My husband held my place so I could warm up in the Marriot. The doorman started running ppl out asking if they were staying there, I saw this and hid in the ladies room only to fall asleep on the floor.All I had was my hoodie that hubby stood 4 hours in line for and I was offered a serious $2000 for it. Guy had checkbook out and all. I almost left my husband and was ready to give up when they pulled us in. I was starting to think screw first I want warm. I felt like I couldn't get warm for the next day but surprisingly didn't end up sick.

22. Mauve

Mauve Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    Yeah, no one expected it be that cold. And C2 was warm enough that I had to go by sandals since I only had my leather boots with me.

If there is a C4 I hope they have it in May or June or in a warmer area. Hmmmm, Hawaii?

23. DarthLove-a-LotBear

Apr 30, 2005
    lol even if it is in a warmer location, I'm bringing a tent. :)

24. thatstarwarsgirl

thatstarwarsgirl Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2005
    sw-starwarsfreakness---

I was in group 20.

I know the guy that was doing the numbering and who was on the news.

Basically what happened was that GenCon refused to provide any direction whatsoever and we took matters into our own hands. We kept most people inside until midnight when the center closed (any amount of time out of the weather was good!). Those with the numbers adhered to the system, others, well, I won't comment.

Again, the police never were called. Strangely. it was the only consistent piece of info from any of the volunteers or GenCon. Nice bluff though. Didn't work! We stayed!

25. ICF

ICF Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    We showed up at 6am....were told to first wait in the wrong line (by a Gen Con person), and then one of the dumb @#$@ people that were supposed to know what they were doing told us that there were over 12000 people waiting for it at the Hyatt and told us (more or less) that we were really stupid if we thought we could show up at 6 and get to see Lucas. He told us that we better figure something else out, cause there was no way we were going to make it in to any of the 3 shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.