main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Line = ALL HYPE

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by snap-hiss, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsVader

MsVader Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2004
    I went through hell to see Lucas. I got in line at midnight and we had to walk all the way around the RCA dome in the cold rain to get outside of the stupid Hiyatt that refused to let us in.
    We were standing out there for hours with the wind blowing and we were already wet, so that made it even colder. It was cool of Jerome Blake to get us the hot chocolate. ;)
    Yeah, I got a bit peeved when I heard people just strolled right in. I heard one guy saying he got in at 10 AM and sat right behind Billy Dee. I don't really care anymore because waiting all night for Lucas may have been crazy, but it was an amazing expierence that I'll always have.

2. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    ICF, some of what you said in your 9:38am post is somewhat simular to what I mentioned me, my Wife and our oldest nephew experiencing in an earlier post I made in this thread.

We did get in line and we did make one of George Lucas' shows. We received wrist bands for the second show and made the first show. :)

3. MazzSunblade

MazzSunblade Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    I think if the weather had been better the way gencon did the line would have been fine. I got to have to some interesting discussions with a few people that I will remember for years to come.

That being said, with the weather the way it was it didn't work out quite so well.

Why couldn't they have blokced off the street where it turns into the main entrance to the convention center and setup isles under the canopy with enough room for people to sit if they wanted?

I thank them for letting us into the skywalk after a while, but I would have thought they could have arranged this from the get go.

I don't blame them for wanting a line, it probably sold a few more tickets for Saturday and Sunday with the news generated. They are a business afterall.

Overall the line could probably have been drastically cutdown in length and time if they had wanted by counting the bracelets ahead a time and then passing them out in order down the line after a significant number of people lined up.

All being said though it was a fun experience.

4. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

The line was indeed hell. It was ten fold in flip flops. I've never encountered such cold weather before at that time of the year, and I'm from Canada.

And as for the 'hearing' that people arrived at 8pm and got kicked out, ya. That did happen. But it was more like 1pm when people STARTED lining up, I got there at 6pm. Yet when we came back at midnight I toughed it through the entire time in line, didn't leave once. Mert Skywalker had to leave at 2am because he started to get really sick. He went back to the hotel and vomitted for awhile. When he spoke to me we had been moved inside already and there was no way that he could get back in line where we were. So basiclly he missed seeing george lucas because of the weather, and got REAL sick. It was horrible for him.

5. DarthLove-a-LotBear

DarthLove-a-LotBear Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2005
    thatstarwarsgirl

Date Posted: 5/1 5:58am Subject: RE: Lucas Line = ALL HYPE
    sw-starwarsfreakness---

I was in group 20.

I know the guy that was doing the numbering and who was on the news.

Basically what happened was that GenCon refused to provide any direction whatsoever and we took matters into our own hands. We kept most people inside until midnight when the center closed (any amount of time out of the weather was good!). Those with the numbers adhered to the system, others, well, I won't comment.

Again, the police never were called. Strangely. it was the only consistent piece of info from any of the volunteers or GenCon. Nice bluff though. Didn't work! We stayed!
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In reply to this I just want to say that a guy named Arnie who became a friend over the day before Lucas, was a great help with the Lucas line. I got in line at 1pm the day before. Someone told me ppl were lining up outside for GL so I went out from M. Stover's line to line up. I got out there and there were just a lot of ppl standing around smoking. None of which claimed they were in line. So I figured what the hell, I'll sit my ass down and start it up. Well not long at all after others came along and lined up as well.
    Around I guess 7:30ish, Arnie came to me once again and this time with news. GenCon and Sansweet (sp) were telling him that GenCon was threatening to call the cops. Everyone got scared so we came up with a plan. Arnie informed everyone so there wouldn't be panic IF cops showed, I numbered ppl. I gave those that were there numbers and told them that if someone new were to show up ask around, someone should be able to claim them if not get them out. I basically just kept saying "Claim Your Weirdos. Your friends comming later don't need #s. Just claim them." So after I finished numbering to #59 I think it was (not sure) alot of us left for warmth and came back at midnight. GenCon said that we couldn't line up until midnight because then it was considered the day of the event. Everyone came back around midnight or shortly thereafter.Arnie helped get everyone in order while I made announcements inside the con about the forming line. After that we waited until about 4 I think it was. A volunteer told me that the "higher ups" were trying to find an alternate place for the line, but the fire marshall was preventing us from being inside the con center (dunno why). One volunteer had to see a paramedic and this is what brought this on. Finally anout an hour later ashort guy with a moustache came to the front leading us all to the skywalk through the Hyatt. That worked for a while until the number of people going to the restroom ect grew past Hyatt's expectations and then we were moved into the con. Everything went well until it was time to actually take our seats when the asshat at the door just yelled GO and many that I helped number and helped avoid getting screwed bumrushed ahead of me like I was a damn doormat. Anyways, I just felt the need to get that out because I keep reading things about "he" and things that don't sound like me. And it hurts a little that ppl don't seem to give a ++++ after the fact that you helped them and if you were early in the line you still were after you completely left and came back 3 or four hours later b/c someone cared. But anyways.... sorry for the length and I didn't edit, to tired

6. DarthLove-a-LotBear

Apr 30, 2005
    ha I post and noone replies.... :)

7. BC_Eagles_67

BC_Eagles_67 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    I guess nobody cares at this point. Afterall it was a pretty pathetic thread to begin with! ;)

8. MeJedi66

MeJedi66 Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    I have to agree abouth the hype. I drove 4 hours to get in line by 8am. Stood in line for about five min. then some guy walks out announces to the crown that he has gauranteed seats for Lucas holding up green wrist bands we walked over to him, got our bands and went right inside. I felt bad for all those who stood out for hours in the cold and rain. But....I also think that GenCon could have done a better job organizing the lines and making them clearer. I had a hard time finding out which line was for what.

9. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    By that time I was already in the first show listening to GL.

10. DarthLove-a-LotBear

Apr 30, 2005
    No need to be an ass BC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.